2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Carey, brennbaer, 0day, Alex Hutor, AndrewJCW, Burkhard, Animisha, 9 invisible), 740 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Somewhat out of the blue I have composed my first piece. I have shown it several professionals (who do not compose) and they have said it is quite good for a first time effort.

So, what are the steps for getting this copyrighted or protected somehow?

I know basically zero about this process.

Many thanks for any help that could be provided.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It is a tedious process involving at the minimum placing a copy electronically on deposit with the Library of Congress.

The fee for this recently went up to $55.

I suggest composing more, doing a copyright once per year, and then sharing the music [if you wish to] after the copyright is complete and the collection is indexed in the L. of C. catalogue.

If you decide to do it, feel free to post back here.

I am very experienced with the processes involved.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Legally any work is copyrighted the minute it's been recorded in tangible media (notation, score, recording, notes, drafts, etc. The more precises the better)

The problem is the prove what is yours... And this is where registration comes in.

You can NEVER prove that something is yours. It's impossible to prove that. But what you CAN do is to prove that at a specific time and onwards this work appears under your name. So if I go to the copyright office in the US and try to register "Let it be" someone else has beaten me by a few decades. Had I registered it first it would've been mine.

BTW, in the US, copyright infrigment is a federal offence and thus handled by federal courts, which ONLY accept copyright registration from the US copyright office and nothing else.

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the information! I went to the copyright office today and registered my composition, as well as uploaded the sheet music.

OK here comes the next question... What is the process for getting a composition "published"? Is this process basically a financial decision between a publisher and composer?

Thanks again.

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is your wish to share your piece or are you hoping to make money from it?

Learner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think it might be harsh, but some common sense might help.

Not everyone gets their works published for many reasons. Reasons can include a bad financial request from the composer (as you say), but it's mainly the quality of the composition and the composer that publishers will be looking for. Plus previous works, track records, awards, promising career, etc...

BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Is your wish to share your piece or are you hoping to make money from it?

You know I'm not 100% sure. I have no illusions about making any money, but I might like to share this with other folks who might be able to offer suggestions or even inspiration.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Legally any work is copyrighted the minute it's been recorded in tangible media (notation, score, recording, notes, drafts, etc. The more precises the better)

The problem is the prove what is yours... And this is where registration comes in.

You can NEVER prove that something is yours. It's impossible to prove that. But what you CAN do is to prove that at a specific time and onwards this work appears under your name. So if I go to the copyright office in the US and try to register "Let it be" someone else has beaten me by a few decades. Had I registered it first it would've been mine.

BTW, in the US, copyright infrigment is a federal offence and thus handled by federal courts, which ONLY accept copyright registration from the US copyright office and nothing else.

Absolutely spot on! It is so automatic that many people don't seem to realize that the moment you publish, disseminate, record, share, print or howl from the rooftops, you are pretty much covered. You can go to the hassle of registration if you wish.

But astonishingly few copyright challenges are ever launched against composers ... and "derivative" is a pretty loose word. I hear a heck of a lof of Rachmaninoff buried in a heck of a lot of MIDI music.

My personal take on this is pragmatic. I want my music to be enjoyed and played by young musicians around the world. I want to make that as easy as possible for them ... in terms of accessing my music, listening to it, downloading it and getting it free.

"WHY?" ask so many of my friends. Precisely because I am pragmatic. I will make more money simply teaching a few students than getting buyers to purchse my sheet music. Particularly nowadays with so much free music available. What do I want ultimately? I want in a hundred years time for some little student to tell his teacher, " I want to play that one .... I want to play "Ivanka"" ... or any of the dozens of pieces I've written for beginning students. I want a little face to light up with pleasure ... I want children to love my music as much as I loved certain pieces in my early primers. And the easiest way to make this happen is to get that music out there .... available.

So for each piece of music I provide a few tips on playing it, an easily read score ( with apoligies to Nikolas for my minimalist format ... laugh ) with fingerings included filed as a downloadable PDF file ... plus a You Tube recording so they can hear the music too, before downloading it. I make it astonishingly easy to access my music. Because I want it to be played. That is my goal.

I'm not making money ... I'm spinning dreams. I only ask at the end of each blog post that I be acknowleged as the composer if anyone chooses to include a piece in a published collection. And each score bears the copyright symbol and date of composition with my rather odd name.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/08/22 10:22 PM
OT-ish: what kind of Yamaha is this?
by ShiroKuro - 08/08/22 06:53 PM
Crack on soundboard
by phucahwa - 08/08/22 05:43 PM
Cage:Sonatas and Interludes
by pianoloverus - 08/08/22 05:31 PM
Bluetooth Pedal - page turner
by danno858 - 08/08/22 04:00 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,303
Posts3,214,910
Members106,036
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission