2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
I have been looking at the best dates for value and perks for each of the four cruises and there has been some itinerary changes so I wanted to get you input if you feel you might want to sail with us.

Independence of the Seas - 6 night - Feb 28 is best availability date. The ports are now Berlize, Costa Maya Mexico, and Cozumel with two days at sea. Pricing including taxes range from $ 849 for inside to $ 1799 for suite with a great value of $ 1199 for balcony (which I ofren recommend). If you plan to travel with children let me know as RCCL has the best childrens program.

Liberty of the Seas - March 14 is the best available date. Best itinerary for first time western carribean sailing experience with the private island, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel with two days at sea. Pricing about $ 100 per person more than Independence but you get an additional day.

Celebrity Century - Is a short 5 night sailing which may lead to more "partying". Now ports in Key West and Grand Cayman with 2 days at sea. A relatively short sailing if you are flying to Florida to board. Pricing ranges from about $ 600 for inside to $ 1100 for suites. Children may become bored if sailing. March 1 is the best value date.

Celebrity Solstice - Newest of Celebrity ships and quite luxurios with spectacular shows. Ports in San Juan, St. Maarten, Tortola and private island in Haita with 2 days at sea. An upscale experience for a value price. After sailing on it in November I held space (which can be cancelled if this ship is not selected). Pricing is lower than you can find on the March 7 sailing. Again Celebrity is not as well recommended for families in comparision to RCCL. If this ship is selected we are limited to 24 cabins as group space has "sold out".

On all sailings a deposit of $ 250 per person is required by May 1st or as long as cabins last. Final day for "voting" is this Saturday, February 14th. Details should be available on this site by February 22nd.

is

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
B
B
Thank you Frank for noticing my typo. Century suites from $ 1100. $ 110 would have been some kind of a deal.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I have been on two cruises. The first was with Princess. It toured the carribean (7 nights). It was fine.

The most recent cruise was on the Celebrity Summit. It was awful-to-poor. (14 nights from Spain to Puerto Rico).

I suggest avoiding the Celebrity. Princess has been great (and people that I know who have sailed both have had a very recent cruise on Princess and still like it a lot).

Both ships had several and more grand pianos. One of the Celebrity pianos was badly out of tune. Another was pretty good. Every piano that I saw on both ships were Yamaha.

I suggest adding workshops where knowledgeable instructors could lead sessions (blues, jazz, theory, etc.).

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Hop:
I have been on two cruises. The first was with Princess. It toured the carribean (7 nights). It was fine.

The most recent cruise was on the Celebrity Summit. It was awful-to-poor. (14 nights from Spain to Puerto Rico).

I suggest avoiding the Celebrity. Princess has been great (and people that I know who have sailed both have had a very recent cruise on Princess and still like it a lot).

Both ships had several and more grand pianos. One of the Celebrity pianos was badly out of tune. Another was pretty good. Every piano that I saw on both ships were Yamaha.

I suggest adding workshops where knowledgeable instructors could lead sessions (blues, jazz, theory, etc.).
Thanks for the feedback Hop,

I would love to add workshops, but that would depend on who is joining us.
If we get enough people to sign up, I can work on "incentives" for some of the pros.

Otherwise, you may have to settle for listening to my rock arrangement of Moonlight Sonata :-)

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
...which is well worth the price...

If I had ever learnt, I should have been a great proficient.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do you mean Belize instead of Berlize?

Schnabel's advie to Horowitz: "When a piece gets difficult, make faces."
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I AM SO WITH YOU ON THAT MONICA!

Originally posted by Monica K.:
Originally posted by whippen boy:
[b] Monica,

Don't you have spring break after Easter?
It's usually spring break for us before Easter. The real problem is that the university administration in its infinite wisdom (VERY heavy sarcasm here) always chooses dates that don't coincide with the public school spring breaks. After all, it's not like university faculty would actually like to be able to go on vacation with their children, would they? (even heavier sarcasm). [/b]

I. Bruton
Acoustic Pianos at home: Yamaha C3, Yamaha P22
Digitals at home: Yamaha P125, Roland RD-800, Kawai Novus N5S
B
B
Yes Belize. Goes to show that you all read well. Hopefully many of you will elect to join us. Hope to have a ship and voyage selected by next week, keep the comments and votes coming in. Summit and Century are part of the "older" class of ships (although only a few years old) which may make comment above valid. Also shorter cruises tend to have the older ships. We are trying to find the cruises and cruise lines which will provide us with the most opportunities to meet and have fun at the same time.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
I have been on five cruises, four with Royal Caribbean (East and West Caribbean and two to Alaska) and one short re-positionig cruise with Holland America.

I have done the Royal Caribbean cruise to the Private Island, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel stops and enjoyed it immensely.

I have found RCCL to be first rate in all categories that one would expect to find on a cruise ship.

The food was excellent, the activities and entertainment were fabulous and the accomodations and service were second to none.

I have done a 5, 7, 10 and 14 day and found the 10 day for me was optimum.

I would say that a 7 day cruise should be a minimum. Anything less and I found that it seemed that you just get settled in and it's time to leave.

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Single Malts Forever!
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
As for workshops, we often have posts here from Bradley Sowash, Neil Miller, and others.

We could always "invite" people like Mark Harrison or Tim Richards, or other people often mentioned on this forum.

Perhaps posters know of others.

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
Originally posted by EHpianist:
Do you mean Belize instead of Berlize?
Yo soy un Berlizer...LOL

B
B
For workshops and discussions that a piano is not needed, RCCL would be the best choice since they have rooms specifically set aside for conferences on deck 2. I would also think that they would have more piano's as I know there are only 2 really available for meeting and playing at the same time. If anyone on this forum has sailed on either Fredom, Liberty or Independence of the Seas and can provide locations it would be appreciated. I was invited and sailed on the pre inaugurals of both Freedom and Liberty of the Seas but in all honesty cannot remember.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Actually Bill, I cannot imagine a meeting with our group that would 'not' require a piano!!!

Could you check on that for us?

We are players/gatherers/partygoers all day and all night! And if attending a lecture/performance/shoptalk we still need a piano on hand.

And a place to meet for just the get-togethers could be most anywhere that there is a place that a group could gather within the large group...
or a big private estate room or adjoining rooms for the after party events.

In other words, the trip itself is only the frosting on the cake. Our get together and a place to meet and would be of utmost importance.

Otherwise, we could take any old cruise at any old time!

I hope I am speaking for others interested in attending. If not, I apologize for being forward about this.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by lilylady:
Actually Bill, I cannot imagine a meeting with our group that would 'not' require a piano!!!

Could you check on that for us?

We are players/gatherers/partygoers all day and all night! And if attending a lecture/performance/shoptalk we still need a piano on hand.

And a place to meet for just the get-togethers could be most anywhere that there is a place that a group could gather within the large group...
or a big private estate room or adjoining rooms for the after party events.

In other words, the trip itself is only the frosting on the cake. Our get together and a place to meet and would be of utmost importance.

Otherwise, we could take any old cruise at any old time!

I hope I am speaking for others interested in attending. If not, I apologize for being forward about this.
Good points Lilylady.

Bill, if you scan a few of these posts, you will see how we usually operate.
We can meet just about anywhere, as long as there is:
~ A Piano (or 2 or 10 or...)
~ Food
~ Drink

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/22/145/2.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/171/3.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/22/133.html

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/22/147/3.html

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

F
F
Originally posted by Hop:

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Celebrity. A number of years ago, my wife and I went on a Celebrity cruise, and were very impressed with the ship and crew. At the time, Celebrity was still owned by the Chandris family, and not by RCI, as they are now, so perhaps things have changed.

Piano self teaching on and off from 2002-2008. Took piano instruction from Nov 2008- Feb 2011. Took guitar instruction Feb 2011-Jul 2013. Can't play either. Living, breathing proof some people aren't cut out to make music.
Cruise ships are very hard on the environment. Some companies are trying to become more responsible. I hope you will consider going with them.

There's an article in today's NY Times:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/travel/15green.html?ref=todayspaper

Piano: Brodmann PE 187 Strauss
Flute: Sankyo CF-201 with RT2 headjoint
B
B
It is a matter of scheduling. Once we have selected a ship I will begin to work on scheduling. The space and time offered to us will depend on how many people we have (ie with say 20 to 40 we could probably use the piano bar during the day. With larger groups again gatherings would be during the day in most cases and probably in the upper "crowsnest" lounges.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
B
B
It is a matter of scheduling. Once we have selected a ship I will begin to work on scheduling. The space and time offered to us will depend on how many people we have (ie with say 20 to 40 we could probably use the piano bar during the day. With larger groups again gatherings would be during the day in most cases and probably in the upper "crowsnest" lounges.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels
Cruise ships are very hard on the environment. Some companies are trying to become more responsible. I hope you will consider going with them.

There's an article in today's NY Times:
http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/travel/15green.html?ref=todayspaper

Piano: Brodmann PE 187 Strauss
Flute: Sankyo CF-201 with RT2 headjoint
Hi Frank,
Saw you posts for the piano cruise. Sounds like a great idea. We would do our own entertaining and spend less time eating all that food. We have been on several cruises, the most recent last Feb. on NCL's Gem. Nice ship, great shows, and service. In 2005 we fly to London, took a 10 day cruise back to the states on NCL' Jewel. Again, a very good experience. They have Yamaha's in their lounges, with good pianists. In 2000, when I was still working as a Nurse, we did an educational cruise on NCL's, Norway. They were very accommodating, setting up rooms, and private breakfasts. Have you checked them out? Have you set a time of year or month? Looking forward to possibly joining you. thumb
Dot

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission