2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
It takes years of hard work to start playing decently. But many people here are doing it or have already accomplished that. "Decently" means different things to different people, therefore my definiton is no worse than the next person's.

Learn to read intervals - this is useful in the long run.

Practice in chunks of time - 20 minutes per piece or several times throughout the day, every day.

This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

Originally Posted by _silvia_
It takes years of hard work to start playing decently. But many people here are doing it or have already accomplished that. "Decently" means different things to different people, therefore my definiton is no worse than the next person's.

Learn to read intervals - this is useful in the long run.

Practice in chunks of time - 20 minutes per piece or several times throughout the day, every day.

This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

I agree with the feeling of connectedness. I do not post daily but read every night before bed.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
It is a journey and we are not alone. There are ups and downs in the learning and the motivation and the success. Talking about the learning makes it more fun and sometimes helps us discover ways around the obstacles.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
I've decided that the best thing I've learned was to get a good teacher. Yesterday, I had another great session with my teacher. There's no way I could have advanced as far as I have without my teacher.

Carl

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The best thing I've learned was to understand that I'm not alone in this journey.

The 2nd thing I've learned was that I memorize pieces with ease, so I can play by memory any piece I've learned in the past years. I only understood that I had this "skill" after reading a post about "How to memorize a piece?" - I thought that memorizing was a natural process for every player.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Ha! Non-existent in some. frown

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
The best thing I've learned was to understand that I'm not alone in this journey.

The 2nd thing I've learned was that I memorize pieces with ease, so I can play by memory any piece I've learned in the past years. I only understood that I had this "skill" after reading a post about "How to memorize a piece?" - I thought that memorizing was a natural process for every player.

Ha, I wish! Reading is one thing, memorizing, for me, poses an entirely different challenge.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In some ways being able to memorize pieces quickly can be an issue. For me, once I have pretty much memorized any piece, I tend to back off on really reading the notes on the page.

I think this leads to other issues.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BrianDX
In some ways being able to memorize pieces quickly can be an issue. For me, once I have pretty much memorized any piece, I tend to back off on really reading the notes on the page.

In my case it's not just "quickly"; it's also "permanent". I do nothing to memorize; I even don't think about that.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
Originally Posted by BrianDX

I agree! I've found the that when I memorize something ( like a small section)I will not read and get lost when I look back at the music. My daughter is younger so I make sure she's sight reading and playing new things all of the time. She memorizes easily and that adversely affected her reading early on. I've definitely remedied that.

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015
1000 Post Club Member

+1. I also find the international nature of this forum inspiring, that so many people from every corner of the planet share very much the same dream to learn piano and support each other. International organizations have something to learn from us.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Best thing I've learned here -- That there can be musical communities that are really all about love of the music.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by 8 Octaves
+1. I also find the international nature of this forum inspiring, that so many people from every corner of the planet share very much the same dream to learn piano and support each other. International organizations have something to learn from us.

I wholeheartedly concur with the above comments. I was particularly struck by the International aspect of our community this evening while listening to the submissions to the ABF Schumann Recital. Isn't it amazing how classical music can bring people together !! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
T
T
Live for the process, not the goal.

If your only motivation to play is some goal in the future (such as playing a specific piece, or being better than your neighbor), you will view practice as work for fulfilling a goal, rather than viewing the process as the reward, as the part of your day you look forward to.

When you start to live for the process of practicing, your practice becomes playing, and you create a motivation that is purely intrinsic. You will improve, you will enjoy yourself, and every time you sit in front of your 88 keys, you will be exactly where you want to be in your journey of a beautiful instrument.

Originally Posted by Octaves_Up
Live for the process, not the goal.

If your only motivation to play is some goal in the future (such as playing a specific piece, or being better than your neighbor), you will view practice as work for fulfilling a goal, rather than viewing the process as the reward, as the part of your day you look forward to.

When you start to live for the process of practicing, your practice becomes playing, and you create a motivation that is purely intrinsic. You will improve, you will enjoy yourself, and every time you sit in front of your 88 keys, you will be exactly where you want to be in your journey of a beautiful instrument.

Regardless of what information is being conveyed many negate the concept of "process." The outcome is revered but the application is underrated. That is, I appreciate your stance.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I've learnt I am not the only one trying to start with the piano after her 40s, and some other things I've been reading about. I can't even remember exactly, but I was getting ideas before buying my first piano like one month ago.

I am learning I have lots to learn… laugh smile

A lot of people here have started late in life. It`s no barrier to achievement either. Stuff on the recitals and piano bar bear testimony top that. Have fun! It can be hard work at times. That`s the time to have a break.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hello, peterws smile Recitals and piano bar sounds good. I'll have to find that place.

I don't post every day but read it everyday.. one thing I learned early on (3 months ago.. lol) Get the piano tuned!

huge difference and it felt great when I sat down on the bench..

[Linked Image]
Adventures in Piano
Started 1 Jan 2015 Quit - 2016. Fresh start Jan 2019
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

YES ! YES !

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission