2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Choose A Cruise!

[Linked Image]

We have been talking about a Piano Forums Piano Cruise off and on for years, without actually getting anywhere.

Now we have an agent who is working hard to help us put together the first real cruise.

Bill will be handling all the arrangements for us, which means he will help everyone with the booking, travel arrangements, etc.

(Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels)

Our criteria includes needing access to pianos we can play, preferably acoustic pianos.

We decided the first PWPF Cruise should be no more than 7 nights, and it should sail from Florida (so we won't need International flights the first time).

Bill (our travel agent) has come up with a few suggested cruises to choose from.

Our itinerary will include time to get together as a group, and plenty of "free time" to do your own thing. If we have enough people sign up I will try to entice some of our "professional" pianist to join us (and perform).

The First Cruise will be in early 2010

Pricing will depend somewhat on how many people are in our group. We will get the best deal we can for everyone.

Keep in mind, "days at sea" will be the time we get together to make music.

Please See This Important UPDATE! Piano Cruise UPDATE!

Last edited by Piano World; 03/03/09 10:48 PM.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Been waiting for this AND / OR a tour of European Piano Factories / Concerts!

Can you add preference of dates? I'd prefer winter and March, not April.

Shoot - my preference of #3 is the least voted on!

I also think we should know of port of call time visiting, if he can add that info.

And approx cost of such an event!

Tuners/techs might really be welcome as well as performers!

Thanks Frank! (BTW leaving from Fl doesn't have anything to do with that you LIVE there does it?)

:p

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Frank,

How exciting! I know this is a lot of work and I appreciate that you are doing it.

One thing to consider - March and April are very busy months for church musicians; if the cruise could happen after Easter/Passover more folks might be able to go. smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am sure you all will have a great time.

I went to sea for 24 years (which wasn't half long enough...) and would only be comfortable as a crew member, not a passenger.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I don't envy Frank the task of picking an itinerary and, especially, dates that would accommodate everybody. I also wonder if it might not be better to restrict voting to those people who express a meaningful likelihood in attending. I voted, but given the proposed dates I would not be able to go along. So maybe it shouldn't matter what itinerary I like. laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Monica,

Don't you have spring break after Easter?

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by lilylady:
Been waiting for this AND / OR a tour of European Piano Factories / Concerts!

Can you add preference of dates? I'd prefer winter and March, not April.

Shoot - my preference of #3 is the least voted on!

I also think we should know of port of call time visiting, if he can add that info.

And approx cost of such an event!

Tuners/techs might really be welcome as well as performers!

Thanks Frank! (BTW leaving from Fl doesn't have anything to do with that you LIVE there does it?)

:p
If our first cruise goes well (and I suspect it will) we will certainly look toward putting together a Europeon cruise/tour to include piano factories and composer's homes.

"(BTW leaving from Fl doesn't have anything to do with that you LIVE there does it?)"
Of course not :-) Florida happens to be the cruise capital of the U.S., it's just a coincidence that I live about 20 minutes from port.

I'll let Bill handle the other questions.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Originally posted by whippen boy:
Monica,

Don't you have spring break after Easter?
It's usually spring break for us before Easter. The real problem is that the university administration in its infinite wisdom (VERY heavy sarcasm here) always chooses dates that don't coincide with the public school spring breaks. After all, it's not like university faculty would actually like to be able to go on vacation with their children, would they? (even heavier sarcasm).

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just did the Jamaica, Cayman, Cozumel itinerary last year on Freedom of the Seas. Those ships are ENORMOUS. My kids would like nothing better than to get back on one of these boats. This may be a little early to mention, but when they offer to check you through to your airline for $20/person, DO NOT HESITATE. All of the cruise lines disembark their passengers at the same time. There is nothing like waiting in line with 10,000 of your closest friends at the airport.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
we will certainly look toward putting together a Europeon cruise/tour to include piano factories and composer's homes.
that would be so wonderful! we could tour the val di fiemme, visit the brahmshaus in baden baden, not to mention all the wonderful factories: sauter, grotrian, steingraeber, etc. etc. etc.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What Pique said.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Is this going to be a BYOP (Bring your own piano) cruise. Another future thought would be a river trip trough Germany stopping at some piano factories.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by tonyf:
Is this going to be a BYOP (Bring your own piano) cruise. Another future thought would be a river trip trough Germany stopping at some piano factories.
According to Bill (our travel agent) the ships he suggested have acoustic pianos, and he's verified we will have access to them.

I'd like to use our first cruise as a stepping stone toward future cruises. If we get enough people to join us, we can create some more elaborate cruises in the future.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

In December we were on one of the ships that you're considering - the Celebrity Summit. I counted five Yamaha grands on board, all about 5'8" I would guess.

I played one of them several times. It was in pretty good condition - not perfect, but better than many hotel pianos! It was in a piano bar and was the only piano that I saw being played while we were on the ship. Two or three of the others, which had player systems, were always locked.

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What kind of cost would be expected on this?

Amateur Pianist, Scriabin Enthusiast, and Octave Demon
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A cruise is a marvelous luxury.

I just wonder how some of you people might get along after reading some of these threads! Yipes! MAN OVER BOARD! Or, woman! laugh

I think I'll even plan on going but hiding! hehehe. Especially from Diane! Great idea though!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
B
Thank you and keep the votes coming in. To answer some of your questions:

5 night Celebrity visits Ocho Rios, Jamaica and Grand Cayman with 2 nights at sea. A short cruise but a good value for those who do not have to fly in. If flying in to Florida may be too short.

7 night Celebrity Solstice: Sailed on the pre inaugural and this ship is really "class". Due to popularity there may be less "perks" for the group but definitely a great ship. Ports are Sn Juan, St. Kitts, St. Maarten with three days at sea.

Royal Caribbean 7 night Liberty: Sailed on this one as well as the new Independence (see 6 night choice). If travelling with families this or the Independence are the way to go. In my opinion next to Disney, the best family cruise line. A large ship with more activities than you can imagine. San Juan, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten with 3 days at sea.

Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - 6 night. Typical western Caribbean with Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Montego Bay, Jamaica. and 2 days at sea.

Don't let the ports necessarily influence your choice. All ships are great and the voting continues to be close, with about one more week to go.

Regarding dates it will more than likely be in March and not conflict with Easter Holidays or Holy Week. Will look for best value on the ship selected and perks allowed. It looks like Royal Caribbean will give better perks but don't let that influence your decision.

It will be fun and I look forward to getting to know all of you better. For those who asked yes Frank will be there and with a group I always sail to coordinate any events on board, questions on shore excursions, and heaven forbid, problem which may arise.

Bill Potuchek, CTA, ACC
Owner
Dream Vacation Travels

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I have been on (3) cruises and enjoyed them all- although it has been a while since the last one. The Germany trip/factory tour has been on my mind for some time now. I definitely want to do that one. I suspect as a group we could command the red carpet tour? thumb
I hear Germany is beautiful in the fall and something about an Oktoberfest?

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
About four hours ago I got back home after a ten day Panama Canal cruise,aboard RCCL's Jewel of the Seas.It was my twenty seventh cruise and the ninth with RCCL. They have become my favorite.
If any one wants to ask me any thing about cruising I would be happy to respond. I think cruising is a wonderful vacation.I also agree with Frank that Florida is the best place to sail from.

i am so a cruise girl

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission