2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2391805 02/27/15 08:23 PM
OP Offline
Finally, after a year of being piano-less, I am at the point where I'm able to purchase a new digital piano!

Before I make my final decision, however, I wanted to ask about the three models listed in my title...the Kawai CN23, CE220, and KDP90.

My budget is under $1500, preferably closer to $1000. My goal is to get the best sounding and most authentic feeling piano as I can for the price range. I've been playing piano for the past 18 years and while I am not the most amazing pianist, I am competent and would love a piano that is able to handle more advanced techniques so I can continue improving.

The KDP90 is most reliably in my price range and I really like what I've seen/heard from it. However, I'm able to purchase a used CE220 for only a couple hundred more. Is it worth an extra few hundred?

I also contacted a local Kawai dealer and he told me he has a new CN23 in stock that he is selling at a largely discounted price due to making room for the new CN25. This would also have the added benefit of me being able to actually test the piano before purchasing...the KDP90 and CE220 I'd have to buy sight unseen. I know next to nothing about this model...how does it compare to the CE220 or the KDP90?

Thank you for any advice you can offer! I'm excited to finally be able to play again! One year has been WAY too long.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The CN23 has the more recent RH action, both of the others have older variations of the AHA or AWA actions. The KDP90 has the weakest amplifier of the 3. The CN23 and CE220 have the newer piano samples.

So, I'd scratch the KDP90 off the list and see if there is a significant difference in price between the other 2, with the CN23 being the preferred. But if you could play them both for yourself, always best.

OP Offline
Thanks for the reply!

Comparing the CN23 and CE220 respectively, what makes you say the CN23 is preferred? When I was looking at specs and things online it seems like the CE220 has more "features" (wooden keys/higher polyphony/USB port/etc.) that would make it "better" than the CN23?

But like I said, I'm having a hard time finding as much information on the CN23 as I am the other two models, so I'll bow to the experts.

I'm going to look at the CN23 on Wednesday, I hope!

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Do you know this CN23 page: http://www.kawai.co.uk/cn23.htm

They have both PHI samples, the CE has more polyphony (not sure how relevant over 128), more sounds/instruments, USB-to-device (must have, for me), but I do now know how AWA PROII wooden keys action with counterbalances compares to the first generation Responsive Hammer action.

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
*blackrose, I agree with Elmer: as nice an instrument as the KDP90 is, the CN23 and CE220 feature superior keyboard action and sound technology.

The CE220's 'AWA Grand Pro II' wooden-key action does not feature Ivory Touch key surfaces, however it's still provides an excellent playing experience, and is the same action I use in my MP8II at home.

The CE220 also offers a broader range of features including USB connectivity ('to Device' and 'to Host'), and LCD display, line in/out jacks, and a broader selection of sounds.

The CN23's plastic key 'RH' action is a little more modern, with Ivory Touch key surfaces, however the overall action probably does not feel as realistic as 'AWA Grand Pro II'.

I honestly don't believe you can go far wrong with either instrument, but would advise play-testing the models (if possible) to ensure that you purchase the piano that is suitable for you.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission