2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (beeboss, c++, Bill McKaig,RPT, accordeur, Colin Miles, antune, anotherscott, 10 invisible), 620 guests, and 467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2391555 02/27/15 08:42 AM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
Anyone seen this blurb from Roland in their mailbox?

http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/lang-lang-and-roland-inspiring-the-next-generation-of-pianists

Roland partnering with the world's most famous classical pianist to inspire children. grin

I was at his previous event in London, when Steinway took up the mantle and provided 50 Essexs and Bostons (and a D for Lang Lang) at the Royal Festival Hall. The collective sound of 202 hands playing 51 grand pianos shook the roof in Beethoven's 5th.

How would 50 Rolands sound in comparison? wink

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Oh well.
(Must quickly throw one of these low-cost recordings of an uneven piano played by Sviatoslav Richter into the CD tray wink .)

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by bennevis
Roland partnering with the world's most famous classical pianist to inspire children.)

Inspiring them to do what? Pull extremely distracting faces whilst playing I presume.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Roland partnering with the world's most famous classical pianist to inspire children.)

Inspiring them to do what?

Inspiring them to play classical music (rather than pop, new age or other rubbish, or even more rubbishy computer games.....).

blog.southbankcentre.co.uk/2011/05/23/lang-lang-inspires-a-triumph

http://youtu.be/9aO6_ONXp-Y and http://youtu.be/ULu3Yd8VKyo

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

Inspiring them to do what?

Inspiring them to play classical music (rather than pop, new age or other rubbish...

Ouch. You're saying pop and new age are rubbish? Perhaps you're implying anything other than classical is rubbish?

I don't ask to show disagreement (although personally I do disagree), I just ask because I'm interested. But I'd be all for encouraging young people to appreciate classical music.

Most music is rubbish. And I think the proportion of rubbish in pop music is much higher than in classical music.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
What, no dalmatians?

Dude started at 2 1/2! I wonder how long it took for him to show promise or actually play anything? My wife tries not to take students under 5 or so as below that they generally have trouble sitting still for very long and focusing.

Lurv those wiiiiiid music rests!

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Most music is rubbish. And I think the proportion of rubbish in pop music is much higher than in classical music.

Well that's because the 'rubbish' classical music has been long forgotten. There will have been mountains of it. Only good stuff tends to endure. Most pop music will be forgotten in 100, 200 or 300 years. But the good stuff will endure. But bennevis's comment seems to be very much about whole genres being rubbish. I find it that an interesting view these days.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Ouch. You're saying pop and new age are rubbish? Perhaps you're implying anything other than classical is rubbish?

From the point of view of music teaching, 'Classical' is significantly more challenging to a child than 'pop' or 'new age'. This is not always true, but almost always: learning a Bach fugue stretches you intellectually and practically in a way that learning, say, Whiter Shade of Pale (based on Bach chord progressions) simply does not.

In comparison, the richness of pop often lies in the originality of its construction of sound in a way that 'classical' does not to such a degree - so the originality of the texture and timbre combinations matters much more, in pop, relative to content.

New Age is OK as a background wash of cliched arpeggios and twee arrangements of thirds and sixths supported by broken fifths It's like wallpaper as opposed to a painting. It seems neither to state, nor question, nor even to negate. Fine, but hardly challenging to a kid learning music. You can teach children to colour in pictures, or to copy pictures, or still life scenes in detail or to design, sketch and paint pictures from their own imagination. They are not all the same, nor (in my opinion) of the same value as skills acquired.

Last edited by toddy; 02/27/15 11:29 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Toddy, I don't disagree with much of what you've said. I am fairly ignorant about new age so can't really comment. But in any event you raise a slightly different issue. Labelling or at least implying whole genres are rubbish is becoming a less prevalent view these days I would think.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes - the issue I was raising was from a didactic point of view, since the clip is about teaching children piano. It is not a matter of a genre being rubbish so much as its being less useful for educating children in the best, or most effective way.

Last edited by toddy; 02/27/15 11:37 AM.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

P
P
Ahh, fellas. Could it be that we are now old enough that we do not 'understand' the modern era music? I have a sneeking suspicion that in their respective eras Bach, Beethoven, etc were not fully understood and seen as heretics with whatever came before.

I can see it now... In 200 years it will be Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Beeber.. The mighty four B's!! smile

No real talent for the Piano.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll be attending and working this same event in Vancouver on March 17th. Roland Canada will be involved in this for the second time.

We've done it once previously in Toronto. (Last year I think.) It was a roaring success.

The children will be playing HP504's. Nice pianos and very well suited to the task.

I don't know (or really care for that matter) how Roland became involved in this, but I'm happy that we did.

Jay

Formerly in the business. Now just a piano fan.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Ha! Beiber. My fear is that he dies young and thereby acquires some sort of mystique as a result (a bit like James Dean sans talent). As long as he makes it to 30 we might be okay.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pspicer
Ahh, fellas. Could it be that we are now old enough that we do not 'understand' the modern era music? I have a sneeking suspicion that in their respective eras Bach, Beethoven, etc were not fully understood and seen as heretics with whatever came before.

I can see it now... In 200 years it will be Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Beeber.. The mighty four B's!! smile

If you mean 'Bieber', then, with the greatest respect, NO and 1000 times NO. On the other hand 'Bird' (of bebop fame) or Beatles ....or dozens of other remarkable creative minds in pop/rock or jazz, then the question is more difficult. smile

Last edited by toddy; 02/27/15 12:20 PM. Reason: forgot to put :)

P
P
Originally Posted by toddy
... with the greatest respect, NO and 1000 times NO...

smile

No real talent for the Piano.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Everyone here really enjoy a 100-piano performance?
As for me, just so so, but I do enjoy a good circus stunt smile
I would probably in most cases prefer a well-orchestrated performance with only 1 piano grin

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by doremi
Everyone here really enjoy a 100-piano performance?

You haven't lived until you've heard 101 pianists pounding out the chord of C major fortissimo (at the end of Beethoven's 5th Symphony) on 51 grand pianos...... wink

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You don't want to see L L playing "girl wi the flaxen hair". . .you really don't! Like watching paint dry. . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cesar Mariano - Brazilian jazz piano
by jjo - 04/17/21 03:57 PM
Did many of the great piano compositions start out...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 03:40 PM
Pearl River GP160 for intermediate player
by PoleStar - 04/17/21 01:27 PM
NV10 has been 3D Printed?
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 01:19 PM
Cesar Mariano - Brazilian jazz piano
by jjo - 04/17/21 10:51 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,350
Posts3,083,522
Members101,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission