2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (AndrewJCW, 3B43, accordeur, Abdol, 8ude, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 676 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 313 of 443 1 2 311 312 313 314 315 442 443
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1
fizikisto #2375716 01/19/15 11:43 PM
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
And the 5th (in this type of chord) can be left out without significantly changing the chord character/sound. (Seemed like magic when I first was instructed about this - how can this be? Tested it out, and yep, chord sounds just fine without that 5th!)

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Mark... #2375781 01/20/15 05:52 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Page 142, Amazing Grace.

What does simile* mean?

Ignore my stupidity. It is explained at the foot of the page!

I found a good site though:

http://www.8notes.com/glossary/Simile.asp

Last edited by PhilipInChina; 01/20/15 06:28 AM.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Mark... #2379609 01/29/15 12:53 PM
Wow the thread has gone quiet again. How is everyone's progress???

I passed Cafe Vienna and Lullaby last weekend at my lesson. Both of these songs I really enjoy playing. At first I didn't enjoy the waltz style of music in Cafe Vienna and then Lullaby seemed a bit sedate. But after mastering them they are now my two favorite songs to play and I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of playing them when I get home from work!

I'm now working on Rock it Away and Joy to the World. Both are much easier than the previous songs. Although the pedal on Joy to the World is a bit of a challenge for some reason on this song.

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
Mark... #2383051 02/06/15 10:41 AM
F
F
I guess it's time to bump this thread again. I am stuck on getting "Standing in the Need of Prayer" on page 77 to sound correct. There is a series of 5 eighth notes that are hanging me up. In the book the first two are e-d# while the remaining 3 are e-d. I've been watching the tinymozart youtube videos as reference and she does 5 e-d#. Either way I cannot get the sound. In the video the sounds of the notes blend together but when I do it each note rings out individually. Is this something that's due to the fact that I'm using an unweighted keyboard or is it just my lack of skill?

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
Mark... #2383070 02/06/15 11:38 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Finfin,

It should be 5 e - d#. The accidental stays active through the measure, only being cancelled by a bar line, or another accidental on that same line or space. So the next measure after the eighth notes would be e - d (natural)- c. Also, note that it only applies to that specific line or space, so if you had a d in another octave, it would be natural unless there is an additional accidental.

As far as the sound, are you playing this phase legato? The only slur marks in the piece is on this section, so you should be playing the notes connected. That is there should be a very slight overlap between the e and d#'s to give a smooth line - hence the blending you are hearing. This is easier to achieve on an acoustic piano, but you should still be able to come close with your keyboard. The rest of the piece should be played detache (detached) to emphasize the contrast with this phrase.

Think of a singer who is singing a phase with one breath. This is what you want to aim for when playing legato, and the way to do it on piano is with a slight overlap between the notes and a hand motion I will describe below. Review pages 42 & following in the Complete book for legato playing, although the Alfred book seems to be lacking to me. In addition to the overlap, the first note is often louder, the remaining notes under the slur slightly softer and the last note may be slightly shorter in length. Think just like a singer would. Your hand motion starts by learning a very exaggerated drop, roll, lift motion, but once you have mastered this the motion becomes extremely subtle and disappears.

Edit to add: a lot of times you want to add the phrasing or legato playing on your own above what the composer has written. As I said above, this piece has a contrast between the different parts, so it is important to make that contrast.

Last edited by DragonPianoPlayer; 02/06/15 11:41 AM.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
DragonPianoPlayer #2383100 02/06/15 12:56 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hey, anybody hear from TX-Bluebonnet lately? I enjoyed her adventures in learning. smile

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Mark... #2383123 02/06/15 02:24 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Me too, I remember her since we joined around the same time, same piano, though not using Alfred myself a lot I do have a copy for the occasional sidetrack. From what I recall she was very busy person. The last recital also preparing for a marathon. Perhaps it is just life, other things getting in the way.

Hope she is still practising and will say hello one day. smile

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Mark... #2383127 02/06/15 02:52 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
TX-Bluebonnet's last post was on January 13, 2015. She removed herself from the Schumann recital. I know this because I took the piece. But her last post prior to that was in November, 2014.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
Mark... #2383208 02/06/15 08:03 PM
Bsw Offline
This is the first time I have posted. Started lessons in October and am also on pg 77 of Alfred's. Trying to make it sound smooth but very choppy at present

Started October 2014
Faber & Faber 3
Faber & Faber 2B completed
Alfred's Adult All-In-One
[Linked Image]
Mark... #2384230 02/09/15 01:15 PM
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
Bsw, Welcome to ABF and the Alfred's thread! It can be slow going at times, but remember to have fun.

[Linked Image]
Bsw #2384607 02/10/15 12:47 PM
Hi BSW, welcome to the forum. Standing in Need of Prayer was a tough one for me as well especially the 8th notes.

What ended up helping me was really counting out the timing and building up speed slowly. My teacher kept me on that song for a couple of weeks.

Keep at it you'll get it smile I started in September so I'm only a little bit ahead of you in the book.

Mark... #2387806 02/18/15 08:01 AM

Yamaha 155, Yamaha Motif Rack XS(with mLan), Roland Fantom XR, Alesis Vi61, Behringer UMC404HD, Yamaha HS7, Cubase 7.5.4
blackjack1777 #2387842 02/18/15 09:16 AM
Bsw Offline
Thank you Blcakjackk1777. Went over Standing in the Need of Prayer this week and figured out what I was doing wrong. Should advance next week

Started October 2014
Faber & Faber 3
Faber & Faber 2B completed
Alfred's Adult All-In-One
[Linked Image]
Bsw #2388032 02/18/15 05:04 PM
Nice work Bsw!

I'm currently working on Got those Blues and Chasing the Blues Away. Both of them are great fun!

I'm also working on cleaning up Cockles and Mussels for which my teacher did not pass me last week :p

Mark... #2390236 02/24/15 05:08 AM
I'm on Lavender's Blue, C position +1, and it's very choppy, too much hesitation but eventually I'll get it. I have found that once I understand what I'm suppose to do I can move on to the next piece and when I come back to the one I was working on it comes together, at least that's how it worked for me so far. Sometimes I go to page one and play everything until I'm up to the page I'm working on, I find that I play those earlier pieces with much more confidence and they actually sound good. ha! smile

[Linked Image]
Adventures in Piano
Started 1 Jan 2015 Quit - 2016. Fresh start Jan 2019
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240
Mark... #2390787 02/25/15 12:09 PM
_
_
Hello everyone, my first post in the forum. Started with Alfred's book some weeks ago. I am currently in page 59 The Cuckoo, and enjoying it a lot so far.

I have some concerns. The main one is the book seems to teach everything based on the hand position, but what happens then when I need to move the hand to different octaves? Right now I associate a note on the sheet with a finger quickly, but I dont think what note is that, I dont even look at the keyboard. My feeling right now is that if I had to move hands I would be totally lost. Is it just part of the process and I will get used to it?

Another little concern is that when I play the Fmaj or Cmaj chord on the bass clef with my LH, I am supposed to use fingers 1-2-5, however I use fingers 1-3-5, it is more intuitive to me because I use the same fingers as when I play the Fmaj chord with my RH, more symmetric to my brain makes it easier to me. Is it bad in the long term?

One more concern, well this is more a funny thing, sometimes I found myself playing the notes on the bass clef with my RH, and the treble cleff notes with my LH. This happened with the Saints many times as it is played changing from one hand to another. I am curious if this happened to someone else?

_Jorge_ #2390810 02/25/15 12:51 PM
Hello Jorge and welcome to the forum!

I will comment on your first question with regards to hand position since I've actually had a similar hesitation to you when I first started in the book.

Initially, you may be apprehensive about changing your hand position and moving from C to G to other positions depending upon what the music eventually requires.

However, what I have found is that once you have worked your way through multiple songs and worked through multiple different hand positions you no longer associate a particular finger with a particular note, etc. The brain some how just starts getting used to the idea of moving around the keyboard.

The one thing I really like about Alfred's is that they build up your skill level in a very progressive manner so that all although each song is challenging because you're learning a new skill, it is not overwhelming or frustrating.

I have had wonderful success so far. I'm currently about to begin On Top of Old Smokey and I can tell you I feel very confident in what I have learned so far. I think the key is consistent practice and to just enjoy the mistakes that you will inevitably make.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!!

Mark... #2390878 02/25/15 03:51 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
I'll just chime in with my two cents as I remember doing the same thing - associating a note with a finger and thinking as long as I stay in C position I have this sight reading licked, wish it were that simple. Perception of where your hand and fingers are for sight reading purposes is a learned skill that will develop naturally but not necessarily quickly. As you develop you will stop identifying a note with a finger but the best tip I can give is to think in intervals as this becomes important later on.

Chord fingering is a personal preference but that may also change as your fingers develop do not be too concerned about it for now.

Playing bass part with the right hand and vice versus is something I used to do, you will grow out of that habit so no need to worry.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
earlofmar #2390882 02/25/15 04:04 PM
For anyone that has worked on The Blues for Wynton Marsalis on p109 -

There are diminuendo and crescendo symbols in the first and last measures.

What level of volume are they looking for here? The only indication is mf at the very beginning of the measure where the crescendo starts. Do they mean for you to play from mf to f and then back down to mf once you get to the diminuendo?

Any suggestions would be great.

blackjack1777 #2390891 02/25/15 04:24 PM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by blackjack1777
Do they mean for you to play from mf to f and then back down to mf once you get to the diminuendo?

this is correct

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 313 of 443 1 2 311 312 313 314 315 442 443

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Parents wanting more work - student not ready/interested
by Kyle J. Smith - 01/18/21 06:24 PM
Kurzweil ka130 vs Casio px770 vs...
by Ninchie007 - 01/18/21 04:45 PM
Refurb or Trade for a Rebuild
by brdwyguy - 01/18/21 04:22 PM
VST Spreadsheet not Available on Sticky Thread
by Harpuia - 01/18/21 02:57 PM
Roland FP Advice
by LongTimeNoSee - 01/18/21 01:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,365
Posts3,048,581
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission