Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
125 registered members (almo82, AWilley, accordeur, Arty Movie, aphexdisklavier, ando, akc42, anamnesis, Animisha, 31 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
When do you "Fire" a student? #2388917
02/21/15 12:53 AM
02/21/15 12:53 AM
California
P
pianoheart Offline OP
pianoheart  Offline OP
P

California
Do you dismiss students? Why or why not?
What are some guidelines you use when you dismiss a student?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: pianoheart] #2388931
02/21/15 01:42 AM
02/21/15 01:42 AM
UK
Nikolas Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

UK
When I can't stand them anymore! grin

I talk to the parents and explain the reasons for doing so... I will try to give them a chance or two, but if they won't be corrected to what I consider to be a valid way of acting in a piano studio, then they're out!

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: pianoheart] #2388943
02/21/15 02:43 AM
02/21/15 02:43 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
I did. When I used to work two jobs, I could afford to dismiss students just like that. There was one girl who NEVER practiced piano, and her progress was slower than a snail. I fired her.

Right now I work just one job, so financially it's more difficult for me to let anyone go. That's why I've been holding onto a bunch of really really REALLY bad students. I just got two more students who, just a few years ago, I wouldn't have accepted into my studio.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: pianoheart] #2389204
02/21/15 04:32 PM
02/21/15 04:32 PM
Irvine, CA
B
bzpiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bzpiano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B

Irvine, CA
I have this in my policy:
Dismissal of Piano Lessons by Teacher:
Repeated failure to attend or prepare for lessons.
Nonpayment of tuition fees or invoices.
Not Showing as Contracted at State Convention

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: bzpiano] #2389222
02/21/15 05:34 PM
02/21/15 05:34 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org

Ezpiano, all your points make sense except for the last one. I literally don't understand what you mean.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: keystring] #2389283
02/21/15 08:02 PM
02/21/15 08:02 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by keystring
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org

Ezpiano, all your points make sense except for the last one. I literally don't understand what you mean.

That last clause is a uniquely MTAC problem. If students don't show up to Convention program as registered, then the TEACHER gets slammed. However, since it costs $30 to play, it's doubtful that students will just pull a no-show at one of these Convention recitals.

I don't have such a clause in my studio policy.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: pianoheart] #2389347
02/21/15 09:50 PM
02/21/15 09:50 PM
USA
C
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chasingrainbows  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

USA
I may add such a clause in my policy! I usually let a student go if

They are continually rude during lessons
Consistently do not prepare for lessons and/or leave music home
Do not show interest in making progress
and of course,
failure to pay on time

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: pianoheart] #2389349
02/21/15 09:52 PM
02/21/15 09:52 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
I assume that a student who is taking lessons in order to learn how to play the piano well can opt out of these recitals. It would be a shame to dismiss a student who is practising diligently and progressing well, because of an event that has nothing to do with learning to play.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: pianoheart] #2389384
02/22/15 12:39 AM
02/22/15 12:39 AM
western MA, USA
H
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
hreichgott  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

western MA, USA
I've never fired a student.
But there have been several conversations along the lines of "This doesn't seem to be working, let's discuss how we should proceed." From non-payment to non-practice to no-shows to behavioral issues to simply being too young for lessons. Sometimes those conversations end with a decision to stop lessons. Sometimes the family meets me halfway and makes it work. I've discovered I never know for sure which students are really invested and which ones are disengaged, or where they'll be a year later... they can change so fast, especially kids.

Last edited by hreichgott; 02/22/15 12:39 AM.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano http://heatherwreichgott.blogspot.com

Working on:
Cabaret (whole show)
12+ variations from classical ballets
Verdi: Stabat Mater
Copland: Appalachian Spring
Tangos and other fun music for piano duo

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: keystring] #2389398
02/22/15 01:11 AM
02/22/15 01:11 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
I assume that a student who is taking lessons in order to learn how to play the piano well can opt out of these recitals. It would be a shame to dismiss a student who is practising diligently and progressing well, because of an event that has nothing to do with learning to play.

Ah, but it does. Students learn a lot about music and piano at these recitals. A common error adult students make is that learning to play piano is just a matter of hitting the right key at the right time. Life's not so simple. Have you ever heard the expression, "I played it better at home?" Teachers hear this all the time and inwardly groan. No, you didn't play it better at home, you just weren't listening! Playing in recitals focus your attention like nothing else will.

PS This isn't a personal criticism, just an observation on your point.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #2389399
02/22/15 01:12 AM
02/22/15 01:12 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
I should add that this afternoon, my students all played in our chapter's Sonatina Festival. Guess what, "Yikes, I didn't really practice those problem areas enough."

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #2389400
02/22/15 01:16 AM
02/22/15 01:16 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Back OT, I haven't "fired" any students that I recall. Mostly, I let them make the discovery that piano isn't their forte. [Linked Image]

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #2389402
02/22/15 01:22 AM
02/22/15 01:22 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
I should add that this afternoon, my students all played in our chapter's Sonatina Festival. Guess what, "Yikes, I didn't really practice those problem areas enough."

I've been tempted to "fire" several students after those events.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: pianoheart] #2389463
02/22/15 06:56 AM
02/22/15 06:56 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Well, a post here was deleted while I was writing a reply...

I think John extrapolated the MTAC Convention recitals to stand for ALL studio recitals in which students are forced to perform, and that extrapolation led to some misunderstanding of the situation being discussed, namely, the firing of a student over a no-show at a Convention recital.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #2389477
02/22/15 07:52 AM
02/22/15 07:52 AM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada

Ah, but it does. Students learn a lot about music and piano at these recitals. ....

John, my post was above all about the idea that a teacher would fire a student if the student does not attend these particular recitals. Not because the student doesn't practice or doesn't progress - the recitals appeared to be the reason. To kick a student out of a studio is a drastic measure, and I can imagine that it can be traumatic. If a student never practises and misses most lessons, I can see it. but not for missing an event that I imagine happens once or twice a year.

Now in your scenario - the student may learn about music at the recital; but if he hasn't learned how to play in the lessons and during practise, then he might as well be a spectator. In any case it's a red herring. I was addressing specifically the policy of kicking out a student because of not attending recitals. I can see it for not practising and not attending lessons, because these two things are essential for learning. A student can skip recitals and still learn, but the student cannot skip practising and still manage to participate in recitals. To me the two things are not on an equal level. I cannot imagine firing a student for not wanting to attend recitals. I can imagine it for not ever practising. I hope that makes sense.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: AZNpiano] #2389478
02/22/15 07:55 AM
02/22/15 07:55 AM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Well, a post here was deleted while I was writing a reply...

I think John extrapolated the MTAC Convention recitals to stand for ALL studio recitals in which students are forced to perform, and that extrapolation led to some misunderstanding of the situation being discussed, namely, the firing of a student over a no-show at a Convention recital.

That was me, AZN, sorry. I didn't like my wording. I rewrote it. My opinion is still the same, as I wrote just above this post.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #2389482
02/22/15 08:12 AM
02/22/15 08:12 AM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
A common error adult students make is that learning to play piano is just a matter of hitting the right key at the right time.

This part of your response puzzled me. I had not written about adult students. The only reason that I can think of is that in part I am still a student, and an adult. If so, I've made my priorities clear over the years - acquisition of skills and understanding of music, the combination of which together can lead to good playing of music. I've never reduced it to "right note at the right time" though I must admit that it's a good start. laugh

Personally I have participated in recitals as an adult student, and it's in my nature to enjoy them. What I've taken away from the experience is that activities geared toward skills take a priority for me over activities that prepare for an event. We hear of teachers who spend most of their time preparing those one or two pieces for recitals to the detriment of everything else - I would prefer such things to be the icing on the cake. I imagine that you might agree.

That said, I think that this discussion is about students in general, and the vast majority probably are still children.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: keystring] #2389499
02/22/15 09:33 AM
02/22/15 09:33 AM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
It would be a shame to dismiss a student who is practising diligently and progressing well, because of an event that has nothing to do with learning to play.

My focus and comment was on this very last sentence. I believe that if used properly, recitals can be a very important foundation element in student's learning and progress at the piano. I encourage teachers to explore this and use it accordingly.

FWIW, not only do I not force students to participate, I even poll them just before they go on stage to insure they are comfortable with their participation and are ready to perform. No student is ever criticized if they choose to not play at a given event.

As a student, my teacher never, ever had us perform, except for the highly feared end of year recital, which was totally a formal event. This is no way to help a student become comfortable expressing themselves in public. Once a year, you will have a chance to express yourself in front of a crowd whom you do not know; in your 3 minutes, everything must be perfect - no mistakes are acceptable. Talk about fear inducing environments.

Rather, I was and am referring to the intense focus which a student is capable of and which occurs when playing in front of others. That which was dismissed or "I'll correct it next time" suddenly is now of great import.

Unfortunately, too many teachers do not use recitals as learning venues for their students, but rather as a show case. Sad.

Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #2389519
02/22/15 11:00 AM
02/22/15 11:00 AM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013
ClsscLib  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Northern VA, U.S.
It would be a shame to dismiss a student who is practising diligently and progressing well, because of an event that has nothing to do with learning to play.

My focus and comment was on this very last sentence. I believe that if used properly, recitals can be a very important foundation element in student's learning and progress at the piano. I encourage teachers to explore this and use it accordingly.

FWIW, not only do I not force students to participate, I even poll them just before they go on stage to insure they are comfortable with their participation and are ready to perform. No student is ever criticized if they choose to not play at a given event.

As a student, my teacher never, ever had us perform, except for the highly feared end of year recital, which was totally a formal event. This is no way to help a student become comfortable expressing themselves in public. Once a year, you will have a chance to express yourself in front of a crowd whom you do not know; in your 3 minutes, everything must be perfect - no mistakes are acceptable. Talk about fear inducing environments.

Rather, I was and am referring to the intense focus which a student is capable of and which occurs when playing in front of others. That which was dismissed or "I'll correct it next time" suddenly is now of great import.

Unfortunately, too many teachers do not use recitals as learning venues for their students, but rather as a show case. Sad.

This is such an important distinction -- speaking from a student perspective.

To the extent that the earlier point was that being able to play before others and get through a piece effectively and musically IS part of learning to play the piano, I agree totally.

That said, there are performance opportunities that positively support that goal and others that seem designed to produce failure.

Some degree of anxiety about playing for others is common and probably irreducible below a certain point for individual learning pianists -- especially, I think, for adult starters. But making the performance opportunity supportive and welcoming, rather than artificially formal and unwelcoming, can help towards the goal of getting a learning pianist comfortable playing for others.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Re: When do you "Fire" a student? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #2389642
02/22/15 05:25 PM
02/22/15 05:25 PM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Have you ever heard the expression, "I played it better at home?" Teachers hear this all the time and inwardly groan. No, you didn't play it better at home, you just weren't listening! Playing in recitals focus your attention like nothing else will.

I have to comment here. Last week before my lesson I was putting the finishing touches on a piece I have been playing for several weeks, and have performed it twice in front of my teacher.

I know every note in the piece, every single one. I ran through it 5 times, no mistakes. The first three times I played it at my lesson I made the same mistake three times in a row on the third measure.

I took a break from the piece, went on to other things, and then came back to it. This time I nailed it, probably played it better than at home several hours before. My teacher, who usually has some suggestions about every piece I play, said it was "perfect".

So in this case, I actually did play it better at home, for real. The good news my teacher believed me, gave me another chance, and it was a great experience.

Sorry, I know I'm OT here.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing fast for adult returners
by KevinM. 05/19/19 12:52 PM
Chinese international Music Competition
by kbrod1. 05/19/19 12:36 PM
Why buy an expensive DP when you have a VST?
by Animisha. 05/19/19 10:54 AM
What is the price to create a website?
by klevern. 05/19/19 09:28 AM
Wrist tension in right hand
by Simon C. 05/19/19 07:06 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,053
Posts2,829,272
Members93,356
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission