2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
86 members (AndyOnThePiano, ambrozy, Beemer, Beowulf, AndrewJCW, aphexdisklavier, 21 invisible), 975 guests, and 539 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Do you rotate hand down from wrist joint?
#2386837 02/16/15 12:20 AM
J
Jerold Offline OP
OP Offline
J
When playing cords and even just single notes keep hand cup shaped and wrist and forearm level and do not let wrist sag. Do you when playing the note or cords move the arm, hand and wrist downward? Do you move the fingers downward curling them in cup formation without moving arm down or rotating hand down from wrist? Do you rotate hand down from wrist joint and not move forearm down?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Do you rotate hand down from wrist joint?
Jerold #2386839 02/16/15 12:51 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That sounds wrong right from the idea of keeping the hand cup shaped, or "keeping" it any kind of shape. Everything should move and nothing should ever be locked into any kind of shape. Can someone else expand on this?

Jerold #2386843 02/16/15 01:23 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Jerold, it is so hard to explain this over a forum.

There is no one principle that applies in all cases. Any serious discussion of how a pianist plays in general will end up with many different if this then do that type scenarios.

As keystring is pointing out, flexibility of your body is the first principle. So you don't lock your fingers or wrist. That said, you do need to hold the shape (not locked) for just long enough to play the specific notes or chords. How much you hold and where you hold depends on the context. Regardless, the goal is to get back to being loose and flexible as soon as possible after you have completed the motion.

It would be much easier to explain in person with a specific piece in mind. Do you have a teacher? This is best left as a discussion from someone who knows where your development is, what problems you are needed to address, and the specific example of the piece you are working on. If nothing else, give us more information about you. How long have you been playing, what piece are you working on, what are you using to learn piano from, etc.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Jerold #2386891 02/16/15 06:16 AM
I had a similar concern and this thread helped me understand better. Thanks!

[Linked Image]
Adventures in Piano
Started 1 Jan 2015 Quit - 2016. Fresh start Jan 2019
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240
Jerold #2386894 02/16/15 06:36 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I keep it simple at the beginning. I grab my cat and show my student the perfect little rounded paw. Then I tell them to male a paw and slide it freely up and down the keyboard a few times. "Make a paw" to start with.

Then I point out a possible mistake .... I have them bend their hand up from the wrist and wiggle their fingers. Obviously this is uncomfortable. Then I have them lower the hand level with the wrist and wiggle their fingers. This normally suffices to prevent the "wrist drop". Don't "wrinkle your wrist" .... when you see those wrinkles your wrist has fallen too low.

Much later I teach them a classical technique from my teacher who traced her teacher back to Lizst. That is a complete relaxation from the shoulder right down to the hands. Done improperly it could case injury. Without a teacher not possible. When you are extremely relaxed and quite advanced you will find your wrists do drop from time to time as you relax onto chords. But not at the beginning.

There is much too much fuss made over the "correct position" ... when you already have a lot of other things going on as you play. " Make a paw and don't wrinkle your wrists" is enough to start with. And if something is uncomfortable, it's probably wrong. Playing the piano shouldn't hurt your hands .... your brain possibly but not your hands. laugh

TheHappyPianoMuse #2386901 02/16/15 07:13 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
Playing the piano shouldn't hurt your hands .... your brain possibly but not your hands. laugh

Loved that one LOL

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
TheHappyPianoMuse #2387296 02/17/15 06:51 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by TheHappyPianoMuse
I

Much later I teach them a classical technique from my teacher who traced her teacher back to Lizst. That is a complete relaxation from the shoulder right down to the hands. Done improperly it could case injury. Without a teacher not possible. When you are extremely relaxed and quite advanced you will find your wrists do drop from time to time as you relax onto chords. But not at the beginning.

Terminology very often deceiving, what do you mean by" complete relaxation of hand ", it is not something that the student can understand . For example, total relaxation of paralyzed hand of who suffered a stroke. There's a subtle point: complete relaxation hands with fingers sustainability; which requires special exercises. You can search for 50 years near the piano, be of closely and do not find it.
Only a qualified teacher, autodidact this will not reach!

Jerold #2387301 02/17/15 07:23 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
look at the hands of this kid (he posted here), especially the pinkies. there is so much tension there that they bend backwards but even with that incredible amount of tension he play the etude at speed.

http://youtu.be/-Pqdbm3KrUw?list=UUi4dZDGxVhC4RTXOzFPkIqA

the point being... sometimes it might be useful to "get there" and later fix a problem... than spend too much time thinking about an issue that can be fixed later on and never get to the target.

Ataru074 #2387327 02/17/15 09:20 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Ataru074

the point being... sometimes it might be useful to "get there" and later fix a problem... than spend too much time thinking about an issue that can be fixed later on and never get to the target.

Any pianist - beginner, adult, professional - should know the following facts:

1. The correct result on the piano can be achieved by both the correct and incorrect movements - in compliance or non-compliance with the anatomical and physiological nature of the human body.
2. Right and wrong movement may look exactly the same on the outside.
3. Constant wrong movements inevitably destroy the gaming machine pianist; although severe results can come out even after 20 years (usually much faster).
As regards the student on video - worth returning to him after 7 years ...

Gaudeamus igitur,
Juvenes dum sumus! - ???

Nahum #2387495 02/17/15 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Nahum

1. The correct result on the piano can be achieved by both the correct and incorrect movements - in compliance or non-compliance with the anatomical and physiological nature of the human body.

To a degree, yes. I had no instruction and no model when I taught myself to play as a child and teen. I could hear expressive things in my head, and "by hook and by crook" I did whatever to reproduce that sound. Decades later when I resumed piano, there were things I could not do. I could play loud, but not loud and fast, because my "loud" was produced by making my hand and arm stiff - I had really crisp nice slow staccato notes. But you can't play fast if you made your arm stiff, and "loud" can be produced through swift motion rather than brute force. Without relearning technique - how to use the body effectively - how I played would have been limited. Additionally, at 20 you can get away with things. In your 60's and 70's you want to have efficient body motion.
2. Right and wrong movement may look exactly the same on the outside.

I understand what you mean. Following a model or a picture is like playing statues. Playing is active and it is movement. Also at least in part it has to be felt inside, and we have to balance that part out. If you've always done something a certain way, that will seem "normal" and "comfortable" until you actually experience what comfortable can actually be.

I think, though, that an astute and experienced teacher can see signs of something being amiss even if a student is "picture perfect", or conversely, that everything is fine even if the student doesn't seem to be following the norms. What I would stay away from is any teacher who goes by 'the book' (any book) - who has one rigid set of standards of how things are "supposed to be" and tries too mould every teacher into a cookie cutter pattern.

keystring #2387505 02/17/15 03:02 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Additionally, at 20 you can get away with things. In your 60's and 70's you want to have efficient body motion.

This seems to be the current philosophy for some of the early/high achieving guys right now and I think is also professed by teachers eager to show how their pupil can master fast and difficult etudes at younger ages more than the longevity or the musicality of the same student.
Besides, if you want to have a musical career, you better play certain virtuoso pieces in your youth. at 20, you are out of the game. Plenty of time to recover -later- when you are a known artist.

Ataru074 #2389451 02/22/15 04:57 AM
look at the hands of this kid (he posted here), especially the pinkies. there is so much tension there that they bend backwards but even with that incredible amount of tension he play the etude at speed.

http://youtu.be/-Pqdbm3KrUw?list=UUi4dZDGxVhC4RTXOzFPkIqA

That left wrist is working up a case of screaming carpel tunnel bent like that and going up and down repeatedly.

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
Jerold #2389483 02/22/15 07:16 AM
I need to remember this thread, My hands should not hurt. I've practiced several times and it has hurt to the point I had to take a break.

[Linked Image]
Adventures in Piano
Started 1 Jan 2015 Quit - 2016. Fresh start Jan 2019
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240
Ataru074 #2389513 02/22/15 09:36 AM
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Plenty of time to recover -later- when you are a known artist.

Unless you do so much damage to your body that you can't? Seems like a high-risk strategy.

1989 Baldwin R
Ataru074 #2389574 02/22/15 01:08 PM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

I very rarely do this, but I am going to say it here: please do not follow this advice. Ever. I would hate to see you get injured.

As an aside: the "target" should be to get there without problems. If you "get there" with problems, you haven't actually reached the target.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Wilh. Steinberg grand piano
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/16/21 04:47 PM
Searching for my first piano
by AndresVel - 01/16/21 03:34 PM
Tuning pin video
by accordeur - 01/16/21 03:22 PM
Concert pianist opintions regarding DP actions
by Marc345 - 01/16/21 02:50 PM
Size, placement, brand
by Anjru - 01/16/21 02:31 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,299
Posts3,047,439
Members100,079
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission