2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (Alex C, CATPIANOTTT, Animisha, Burkey, Calavera, Boboulus, Abdol, Beowulf, 12 invisible), 416 guests, and 498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Has any adult experienced a Piano Guild audition?
#2388419 02/19/15 07:59 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
This year our teacher suggested we try for this, which will be held in late May. Usually she has about half of her younger students attend these auditions, but in 40 years of teaching she has never had one of her adults do it.

If anyone here has gone through this process I would like to hear about it.

As far as what I am thinking of doing; Memorize 5-6 pieces. These pieces are in C Maj, F Maj, D Maj, and A Minor.

If folks are interested, I will chronicle my experiences over the next three months.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Has any adult experienced a Piano Guild audition?
BrianDX #2388587 02/20/15 08:20 AM
I'd be interested in hearing about it - I'll periodically check the post.

Thanks

[Linked Image]
Adventures in Piano
Started 1 Jan 2015 Quit - 2016. Fresh start Jan 2019
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240
BrianDX #2388598 02/20/15 08:41 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Some description here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...-_Piano_Guild_Auditions.html#Post2332178

and more info if you follow the links from that post.

Learner
Agfinguy #2388599 02/20/15 08:42 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
OK thanks. I'll post something next week, as I believe the application fee (which requires a final decision as to the number of pieces to be performed plus whether they will be memorized or not) has to be sent in.

The exact pieces to be performed in not set in stone. I can change my selections at any time up to audition day. However, the key signature of the final pieces played determine the scale/chord exercises that must also be played (I think...)

Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
malkin #2388606 02/20/15 08:49 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Some description here:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...-_Piano_Guild_Auditions.html#Post2332178

and more info if you follow the links from that post.

Thanks! smile

BrianDX #2393073 03/02/15 10:01 PM
N
N
Hi. My teacher has suggested that I participate in a Guild audition also. I have no objection to having my skills evaluated, although I'm pretty certain of where I am in my piano journey. After much thought, I have declined due to the work associated with learning (and potentially memorizing) a minimum of five pieces. I would prefer to have my time spent on the continued learning process, but I fully admit that the Guild experience could be a valuable part of the learning process.

All of that said, my teacher, who has been very involved in the Guild auditions, has said that the teachers who perform the evaluations are very supportive of beginning adult students. I have no reason to not believe that. So, if you are so inclined, I would definitely suggest that you follow through.

And, I would welcome the chance to learn from your experience.

Good luck!!

Bruce

newest student #2393212 03/03/15 08:56 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Bruce!

I was also inclined to not participate in the audition due to time constraints and other factors, however I changed my mind due to the following reasons:

First, I already had three pieces memorized from my older Faber books, due to the fact I love playing them at a moment's notice, and they sound much harder to play than they really are. I picked up two more pieces a couple of weeks ago, so I have my five memorized pieces in the bank.

Second, I have been on kind of a breakneck pace through my lessons books for 18 months now, and as much as I don't want to slow down my momentum, perhaps a slight diversion at this point might help in the larger scheme of things. Also, preparing for the Guild in late May will only take up about 20% of my overall lesson time.

Third, this is an experience that my wife and I really want to go through, at least this one time. Within two months it will be over with, and either we will chalk it up to an interesting experience and never do it again, or it will become an annual thing.

In two weeks we will begin working on the required scale work. Since my pieces are in four different keys, this should be interesting!

BrianDX #2396214 03/10/15 07:50 AM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Sent in our $29 fee yesterday for Guild expenses.

My teacher also went over what is expected for scales, chords, and other things for the 4 different keys that are spread across my five pieces.

Some additional study is required because one of my pieces is in a minor key (A minor).

That's it for now...

BrianDX #2401801 03/23/15 06:38 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Update #2.

Played all 5 guild pieces tonight at my lesson. Pretty good feedback from my teacher, however the tempo of the last and most difficult piece is not quite right. Will have to work on that.

Also did the required scale work (right hand first, then left hand) and cadences for the 4 keys my pieces represent (C Major, D Major, F Major, A Minor).

Also got advice on how to proceed in case of mistakes, and picked my first and last piece (which is totally my choice).

One other thing; despite what I've read on several other threads, I am NOT allowed to warm up on the judge's piano. As my teacher said to me, "Welcome to the wonderful world of being a pianist - It's not like you are playing a flute which you can bring with you". grin

Next update in 3-4 weeks.

BrianDX #2401942 03/24/15 04:47 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds like you're well on your way to do a good job at it. And, like you said, it will probably be an interesting experience. Looking forward to hear the report.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
BrianDX #2402140 03/24/15 01:33 PM
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
FWIW --

As well as playing piano, once upon a time I played flute.

In my 30's, my flute teacher suggested that I should do one of the Canadian Royal Conservatory of Music "grade level" competitions. It took some months of practice before I had pieces "polished" well enough to feel competent. Grade 8 was too hard, Grade 6 felt about right.

To both our surprises, I won the silver medal in the Grade 6 group.

So my advice would be:

. . . Do it!

It can't hurt you, and the experience of getting some pieces "just right" is worthwhile.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
BrianDX #2422226 05/18/15 09:22 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BrianDX
Update #2.

Played all 5 guild pieces tonight at my lesson. Pretty good feedback from my teacher, however the tempo of the last and most difficult piece is not quite right. Will have to work on that.

Also did the required scale work (right hand first, then left hand) and cadences for the 4 keys my pieces represent (C Major, D Major, F Major, A Minor).

Also got advice on how to proceed in case of mistakes, and picked my first and last piece (which is totally my choice).

One other thing; despite what I've read on several other threads, I am NOT allowed to warm up on the judge's piano. As my teacher said to me, "Welcome to the wonderful world of being a pianist - It's not like you are playing a flute which you can bring with you". grin

Next update in 3-4 weeks.

Update #3.

Ten days to go. I have my final 5 pieces ordered and ready to go. Although my teacher thinks all five will "pass" at this point, she is looking for a bit more detail in phrasing and dynamics, especially in the left/right hand balance for two of them.

The final piece, which runs over two minutes will require the most concentration.

After playing one of the guild pieces yesterday in front of 20+ people (including 6 family members) playing this in front of a single judge should seem easy. We'll see...

Back in 10 days.

BrianDX #2425654 05/27/15 03:01 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Final update (Part 1):

Completed the Guild audition an hour ago. Here are the highlights:

First, the judge could not have been nicer to me, even complementing me between pieces, and even allowing me to warm up a bit before starting. It turns out she has a PhD in music, as well as numerous teaching and performance credentials worldwide. Thank goodness I didn't know that ahead of time. shocked

Second, although the atmosphere could not have been more low-key and friendly towards me, I was still was way too nervous at the start and made several stupid mistakes. As time went on, I played better and with more ease. She was very complimentary, however I won't see my "report card" until early next week. I'm thinking I passed all five pieces, even with the mistakes.

Our teacher was very pleased with how we did, and I could tell she was hoping we would enjoy the experience overall. Well we did!

So, based on the entire experience I think we plan to do this again next year. I'll make my final decision after reviewing the judge's notes and sleeping on it a bit.

BrianDX #2425667 05/27/15 03:30 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
You are very brave! smile

BrianDX #2425675 05/27/15 03:44 PM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
It sounds like you had a good time, all-in-all. Glad to hear it!

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
BrianDX #2425751 05/27/15 06:45 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Brian, glad you and your wife's experiences were positive. Most of my students have a similar reaction - apprehension then relief and elation. I must confess a bit of surprise your teacher holds the reports/certificates for a week. I have the student remain in the audition room until the judge is finished; they bring their music and report out and then we sit down and review the report together. After the student has seen their results, I do hold the certificate as I need to make a file copy of the entire certificate with report for records. Guild requires these for advances awards and scholarships. I suspect that's the reason your teacher is holding the reports, but you might ask if, in the future, you two could review the report immediately after the audition, so that you and other students are not in a state of suspense for a week. More importantly, we tend to forget small details with the passage of time, which perhaps is the most important reason to review these immediately.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
John v.d.Brook #2425769 05/27/15 07:52 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Brian, glad you and your wife's experiences were positive. Most of my students have a similar reaction - apprehension then relief and elation. I must confess a bit of surprise your teacher holds the reports/certificates for a week. I have the student remain in the audition room until the judge is finished; they bring their music and report out and then we sit down and review the report together. After the student has seen their results, I do hold the certificate as I need to make a file copy of the entire certificate with report for records. Guild requires these for advances awards and scholarships. I suspect that's the reason your teacher is holding the reports, but you might ask if, in the future, you two could review the report immediately after the audition, so that you and other students are not in a state of suspense for a week. More importantly, we tend to forget small details with the passage of time, which perhaps is the most important reason to review these immediately.

Hi John;

I gave the wrong impression about the presentation and review of the report cards. The judge had them done before my wife and I left, however our teacher had more students left to be tested, and she wants to spend an adequate amount of time going over the results. Because my wife has a lesson tomorrow morning, she will review the results with her then. My next lesson is not until Monday, so that's when we will review everything.

I would totally agree with your description of the three emotions we went through. I would add "nervous energy" between apprehension and relief, which occurred during my 6 minutes and 30 seconds of actual playing (yes I timed it)! I forgot to add that we did all of the scales and cadences at the very end, back to back to back. But yes, elation is the last emotion, and I still feel it 6 hours later.

BrianDX #2425781 05/27/15 08:51 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Way to go Brian and Mrs. DX!

John, Many happy returns of the day!

Learner
malkin #2425784 05/27/15 09:02 PM
BrianDX Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
Way to go Brian and Mrs. DX!

John, Many happy returns of the day!

Thanks! smile

BrianDX #2425794 05/27/15 10:09 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Brian! That's such a nice story! Very inspiring.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Introductions to the great composers
by Animisha - 01/19/21 02:43 AM
NAMM 2021 Keyboards & Digital Pianos
by Osho - 01/18/21 08:57 PM
Advice on Grey Market Yamahas - Melbourne, Vic
by Tim_Au - 01/18/21 08:08 PM
Faulty Anytime in Kawai GE-30 AT
by Lempriere - 01/18/21 07:39 PM
Can I sell Garritan CFX?
by Tigris90 - 01/18/21 07:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,371
Posts3,048,752
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission