Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
63 registered members (Animisha, amad23, agraffe, Anticlock, AprilE, 7uturu, AZNpiano, baudelairepianist, atcsam, 15 invisible), 783 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 31 1 2 29 30 31
Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: NormB] #2364682
12/22/14 07:31 PM
12/22/14 07:31 PM
Los Angeles, CA
L
Lance VI Labs Offline
Lance VI Labs  Offline
L

Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted by NormB
Well, I was enticed by the reports here and bought this Ravenscroft piano yesterday. Here's a hardware/software/installation report. I'll give some impressions of the sound and playability later, after I have had a longer time to assess these.

Setup: Windows 7, fast 6 core I7 processor, 24 GB memory, all SDD with one dedicated to piano samples, ASIO4ALL to optical out, to audiophile dsp, etc.

Download and installation worked just fine. I'm using an ILok and this required updating the ILok License Manager, which also went along without any problems.Retrospectively, I noticed that the new ILok manager installer installed a Windows version of Apple Bonjour without asking; I note this only because Bonjour being there had implications for running Ravenscroft.

Initially I had a horrible and unsuccessful time running Ravenscroft as a standalone. The program sometimes hung, and when it did I could not even remove the process using Windows Task Manager. When this happened the standalone would not reload either. Also, I occasionally managed to lock up super stable Cantabile using the VST--something I had never achieved before!

I found the central problem was Bonjour. After removing this naughty software the standalone version loaded and unloaded smoothly and I never got another lockup using the VST and Cantabile.

Even so, the standalone version isn't really ready for prime time, at least for me. I had to back ASIO4all down to 44 kHz and increase the samples to 256 to get things to settle down, and even then I am still getting perhaps one audible glitch every five minutes or so.

In contrast, this morning I have had no audible issues with Ravenscroft's VST running under Cantabile with ASIO4all at 96KHz/256 samples. I'll keep this setting and see if things remain stable over a longer period of playing.

By the way, on the sound side of things, does anyone know what setting increases the length of time an undamped note continues to sound after letup? This is unnaturally fast using the default settings. Tnx

Hi Norm,

Glad to hear you got everything running really well with your setup. I was not aware of the Bonjour install. Usually the License Manager is installed automatically when UVI Workstation is installed, so maybe the LM app from iLok.com includes Bonjour. I'll check about this further.

Also, you'll always get best results when using the 44.1KHz sample rate. There is no benefit at all to using higher sample rates. Unless you're using our pianos in a DAW project that requires the higher rate, you can stay at 44.1KHz. Otherwise it has to upsample on the fly which uses more CPU and computer resources.

You'd asked about increasing time an undamped note continues after letup. This has nothing to do with Release Volume, but maybe this is what you wanted anyway. As Dire Tonic suggested, you can click the small arrows button next to the knob to switch to Release Xfade to adjust the crossfade time for the release samples. Typically you'll want to increase the Xfade amount if you increase the Volume, and vice versa. The undamped notes begin at G#5 (according to UVI keyboard) and are exactly as they were recorded on the real piano.

We're always just an email away using our contact form if you ever have questions or issues with any of our pianos. I'm glad to hear you've found the best settings now. Enjoy!

Lance @ VI Labs

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs… First Look and Sound [Re: Lance VI Labs] #2364868
12/23/14 11:13 AM
12/23/14 11:13 AM
Vancouver, BC
N
NormB Offline
NormB  Offline
N

Vancouver, BC
Glad to hear you got everything running really well with your setup. I was not aware of the Bonjour install. Usually the License Manager is installed automatically when UVI Workstation is installed, so maybe the LM app from iLok.com includes Bonjour. I'll check about this further.

Also, you'll always get best results when using the 44.1KHz sample rate. There is no benefit at all to using higher sample rates. Unless you're using our pianos in a DAW project that requires the higher rate, you can stay at 44.1KHz. Otherwise it has to upsample on the fly which uses more CPU and computer resources.

Thanks for the reply. I believe Bonjour entered via an update of the iLok manager that I did just prior to the Ravenstock installation. The update came directly from iLok. This is manager version 2.4.3.756.

Mostly just live playing, so I'll stick with 44.1 KHz. As per a later post, Ravenstock is running stably as a VST at 44.1 KHz and 64 samples.

Last edited by NormB; 12/23/14 11:15 AM.
Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs� First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd] #2388054
02/18/15 07:07 PM
02/18/15 07:07 PM
England
T
techtech Offline
techtech  Offline
T

England
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a VPC1 and since I am relatively new to this whole VST thing, I downloaded the Pianoteq demo and have been using it for about a week. Instead of deciding to purchase the full version of Pianoteq I decided to go for a sampled piano, hence I just purchased and downloaded the Ravenscroft.

Because this is my first use of a sampled piano however, I am not used to a couple of things and want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Firstly, after playing a fast or say strong passage with Ravenscroft, I can hear background noise build up slightly. Is this normal? Then when I release the sustain is quickly goes away. It doesn't seem very natural or realistic at all!

Secondly, how do I go about opening up Ravenscroft in Logic Pro X? As you can tell I'm completely new to the audio game and mostly just a classical pianist who needs some help with VST's smile

That aside, the sound that the Ravenscroft generates is quite different. There nothing like it. I haven't completely warmed to it yet but I'll give it time.

Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs� First Look and Sound [Re: techtech] #2388139
02/19/15 03:09 AM
02/19/15 03:09 AM
H
humax Offline
humax  Offline
H

Originally Posted by techtech
...after playing a fast or say strong passage with Ravenscroft, I can hear background noise build up slightly. Is this normal? Then when I release the sustain is quickly goes away. It doesn't seem very natural or realistic at all!

Hi there,

The issue from the above happens due to Ravenscroft as well as many other sampled pianos were recorded in a very muffled studio to eliminate any resonances caused by surrounding objects. That gives a chance to get a pure sound of the stings themseves that could be a subject to further processing in order to model this or that acoustic environment. In short, having a sound being recorded very dry is much easier to get it turned into wet one, rather than vice versa. So playing Ravenscroft set by default is quite unnatural and some extra reverberation is required. That could be done with help of either built-in reverb which is very basic or some decent external one.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Ravenscroft by VI Labs� First Look and Sound [Re: HisKidd] #2388216
02/19/15 08:59 AM
02/19/15 08:59 AM
P
Pete14 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pete14  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

I own Ravenscroft, ACD, and Pianoteq Pro. The only consistent aspect amongst these is the inconsistency between notes: odd variations in timbre, volume, and overall fidelity.

For example, when I play G1 on the ACD it sounds phenomenal. If I pound very hard on it, the sound gets more and more metallic; an effect that also occurs on real pianos. The note also sounds full and all but perfect. Play neighboring notes, and you get a completely different result (not as good/realistic).

This phenomenon is present in Ravenscroft (to a higher degree), and also in Pianoteq Pro (obviously different notes/regions). With Pianoteq Pro I can work on these odd notes, and therefore, get a more balanced sound across the entire keyboard. ACD and Ravenscroft do not allow note-per-note edits, so if I work on an "odd" note I'll be able to improve the characteristics of that note, but at the same time I will mess up the remaining 87 notes (global edits)...... And round and round it goes.

Note-per-note edits (directly from the interface) should be standard on all virtual pianos by now. Asides from Pianoteq Pro, only the Vienna Imperial (sampled) allows for note-per-note edits.

Page 31 of 31 1 2 29 30 31

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hanon book one finished. Transpose?
by Hotstrings. 03/21/19 11:38 PM
Can anyone help me identify this piano?
by piano3711. 03/21/19 11:05 PM
Yet ANOTHER piano comparison recommendation sought!
by BoyFromBoonton. 03/21/19 10:46 PM
Piano tuning distractions
by TimM_980. 03/21/19 09:28 PM
New Piano by Lego for 2019?
by newer player. 03/21/19 09:23 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,041
Posts2,809,218
Members92,838
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission