2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2386697 02/15/15 05:03 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I often hear people being accused of "having Steinway on the mind". That is to say, due to the legendary status of Steinway's name, people are naturally biased towards them.

I don't think it's such an irrational bias. In my personal experience, the very best pianos I've played have always been the very best Steinways. I cannot speak for Boosendorfer, Fazioli or Mason and Hamlin, as I have not played them. Shigeru Kawai, concert Yamahas, Schimmel, Estonia, and others prove, to me, to have an inferior recipe. They are obviously high end instruments, but they seem to have the lack of character that the best Steinways have. The Shigerus are especially bad by comparison - feel and sound.

Am I the only one that feels this way? Maybe I am just under the spell.

(I'm not trying to bash on anyone's taste here.)

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
The Steinway is the best piano, closely followed by the German pianos (headed by Bosendorfer). (And the Steinway, although now an American brand, was originally German as well.)

Regards,

Polyphonist
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I haven't played enough Hamburg Steinway's to form an opinion. I wonder how they compare to the American ones.

Originally Posted by Polyphonist
closely followed by the German pianos (headed by Bosendorfer).

Which is not German and never was, actually, as more or less everybody knows.

Last edited by maxmila; 02/15/15 05:21 PM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
(And the Steinway, although now an American brand, was originally German as well.)

Steinway was not originally a German brand, although the original members of the family came from Germany. I suppose that since 1888, when they opened the Hamburg plant, they could be considered German as well.

Semipro Tech
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by maxmila
closely followed by the German pianos (headed by Bosendorfer).

Which is not German and never was, actually, as more or less everybody knows.

thumb

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I haven't played many Steinways, but there is one I play regularly that I know very well. I haven't played many Yamahas, but there are three that I play regularly and that I know very well. The Steinway sound is very gorgeous and complex. Full-figured and curvy. Mature. Been around the globe a few times. Also, there is something about the action that takes work to get used to. It's like driving a tank made by Ferrari. But once you get it sorted, you can use that complex tone palette to create many nuanced "colors." The Yamahas seem to have a much simpler action and sound. Somehow, they sound "cleaner" and "shinier." Sleek and taut. No more or less beautiful than the Steinway, but less "deep." Not vapid or vacuous; just less calculating and treacherous than a Steinway. Sincere. That's it! A Yamaha is "sincere." And Pure As The Driven Snow. The Yamaha actions of the three pianos I know (a G3, a G1 and a C3) are very responsive and direct, if that makes any sense. They do exactly what I tell them to do without me having to make special accommodations for the "inbetween-i-ness" that happens from the keys to the strings.

The other grands I know are vintage guys--two large Haddorffs that were very fine instruments in their prime, and a handsome Chickering quarter grand. The Haddorffs play and sound like liquid gold. The Chickering I have not figured out, yet, though I have been working on it for almost a year, now. I do know this about the Chickering: it is very full of itself.

All of that is to say this: If music is what happens between the notes, each piano is going to give you something to work with, and it is up to you to see what the piano will give you.

As one who has to work with the piano I'm given to work with, I'm not sure I understand the question. Each piano has its own personality. Music is found in developing a relationship with each individual instrument.

--Andy

Last edited by Cinnamonbear; 02/15/15 06:34 PM.

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
The Steinway is the best piano, closely followed by the German pianos (headed by Bosendorfer). (And the Steinway, although now an American brand, was originally German as well.)

I'm sure it's the best for delivering the Steinway sound. If that's what you prefer, go for it.

Tastes do differ, though.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cinnamonbear
I haven't played many Steinways, but there is one I play regularly that I know very well. I haven't played many Yamahas, but there are three that I play regularly and that I know very well. The Steinway sound is very gorgeous and complex. Full-figured and curvy. Mature. Been around the globe a few times. Also, there is something about the action that takes work to get used to. It's like driving a tank made by Ferrari. But once you get it sorted, you can use that complex tone palette to create many nuanced "colors." The Yamahas seem to have a much simpler action and sound. Somehow, they sound "cleaner" and "shinier." Sleek and taut. No more or less beautiful than the Steinway, but less "deep." Not vapid or vacuous; just less calculating and treacherous than a Steinway. Sincere. That's it! A Yamaha is "sincere." And Pure As The Driven Snow. The Yamaha actions of the three pianos I know (a G3, a G1 and a C3) are very responsive and direct, if that makes any sense. They do exactly what I tell them to do without me having to make special accommodations for the "inbetween-i-ness" that happens from the keys to the strings.

The other grands I know are vintage guys--two large Haddorffs that were very fine instruments in their prime, and a handsome Chickering quarter grand. The Haddorffs play and sound like liquid gold. The Chickering I have not figured out, yet, though I have been working on it for almost a year, now. I do know this about the Chickering: it is very full of itself.

All of that is to say this: If music is what happens between the notes, each piano is going to give you something to work with, and it is up to you to see what the piano will give you.

As one who has to work with the piano I'm given to work with, I'm not sure I understand the question. Each piano has its own personality. Music is found in developing a relationship with each individual instrument.

--Andy
Beautifully said, Andy. I haven't had the same positive experience you've had with Yamahas. I've only tried a few and felt they sounded thin and mechanically consistent with no personality. I did play on one lovely Bosendorfer that had a rich, mellow tone and buttery action.

I admit, I am partial to Steinways. I've wanted one ever since I saw and heard Rubinstein play on one when was a little girl. When I was finally able to buy one in my late 50's, the salesman told me it would be like moving from a pony to a thoroughbred and it would take me four years to adjust to the subtle action and the nuances and color that would open to me. He was spot on. Playing a superior instrument improved my playing and my listening skills tremendously. I only regret that I do not have the space or money to buy a Steinway D. I've played on a few D's that were magical, as if rainbows were coming off the strings. The best was an old CD that had seen years on the stage and was repeatedly concert prepped. Its tone and colors were breathtaking. While shopping for my Steinway O, I was struck by how different each Steinway piano is.

Best regards,

Deborah
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My teacher had a divine Steinway L that all of her students just adored. It had an exceptionally light, but playable, action. So, it shouldn't always be about wrestling for tone.

That said, I'd say 1/3 Steinways are superb, 1/3 remind one of the superb ones, and 1/3 are plain awful. This is not necessarily Steinway's fault, as much initial prep and subsequent wear and tear come into play.

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WhoDwaldi
That said, I'd say 1/3 Steinways are superb, 1/3 remind one of the superb ones, and 1/3 are plain awful. This is not necessarily Steinway's fault, as much initial prep and subsequent wear and tear come into play.

Right. In my experience, nothing compares to that first group.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

If you want to know if you are 'under the spell' or not, then go play those other instruments until you can hear the beauty in them. Until you can really understand why people like them.

If you can't hear it, then you're under the spell.

Poetry is rhythm
R
R
I 100% agree with the love of Steinway pianos. I have been lucky enough to play on my share of Steinway, Yamaha, and Kawaii grands. I have played on a decent number of Bosendorfers and Bechsteins. I have encountered the latter two the least. I know they are supposed to be much pricier than steinways but I still didn't like the feel as much. Maybe that was related to the particular instruments I played but I feel like just about every Steinway I have touched has been superior to other instruments, whether it was in great shape or not. Something about the range of sounds and my ability to control the instrument is usually always better in a Steinway.

As for the yamaha and kawaii grands there isn't even a comparison to make.

Hamburg beats New York, btw. No contest. It's the already wonderful Steinway on steroids.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phantomFive

If you want to know if you are 'under the spell' or not, then go play those other instruments until you can hear the beauty in them. Until you can really understand why people like them.

You're sort of making it look as though I said they are bad instruments. I said it was obvious that they are high end pianos, and I would be lucky to own any of them. I'm simply saying that there's a certain earthiness about Steinway, and their actions are so buttery. The European pianos come real close. The Asian pianos definitely do not compare in that way.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There are crappy pianos everywhere. But, the best Steinway will always beat the best Yamaha or the best Bosendorfer or Fazioli. At least in my experience... Also, I detest Faziolis - they're shallow and don't offer you much to work with.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Steinways are fantastic instruments, needless to say. There's a reason why they're the most prevalent high end brand, and it's not only marketing hype.

I remember being disappointed the first time playing a Bosie (at an audition), and really disappointed walking into my new teacher's room and seeing two Bechsteins. However, after spending some time with them, it's easy to see why they are considered top notch instruments, just very different then Steinways.

There's a clarity to Bechsteins that's just beautiful. If you're expecting the roar (for lack of a better term) of a Steinway, then you're going to be disappointed. Also, if you don't know what your doing musically, a Bechstein will kill you. They're not as forgiving as Steinways. However, if you've got great control over what you're playing, a Bechstein is hard to beat, IMHO.

F
F
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
There are crappy pianos everywhere. But, the best Steinway will always beat the best Yamaha or the best Bosendorfer or Fazioli. At least in my experience... Also, I detest Faziolis - they're shallow and don't offer you much to work with.

Really? The only Fazioli I ever played gave me some much to work with I was overwhelmed. Really, the control was so enormous I still don't know if I like it. But that was just one experience, never saw any other Fazioli around here. Plus the treble really was shallow, and the action was so incredibly even it didn't feel like a piano. This was the only time this was an issue, but it felt too artificial. Still, I never saw anyone complain about having too little to work with. Interesting.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As in, it was so shallow that playing anything besides a fast Scarlatti was abysmol. Not enough depth.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

You're sort of making it look as though I said they are bad instruments.

I'm saying it looks like you don't understand them.

When you start talking in stereotypes like 'Asian pianos' or 'European pianos' it makes me roll my eyes....when you start talking about the 'buttery' action that only exists in Steinways, it's my sign to leave the conversation because you sound like a fanboy.

Poetry is rhythm
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

You're sort of making it look as though I said they are bad instruments.

I'm saying it looks like you don't understand them.

When you start talking in stereotypes like 'Asian pianos' or 'European pianos' it makes me roll my eyes....when you start talking about the 'buttery' action that only exists in Steinways, it's my sign to leave the conversation because you sound like a fanboy.

Some pianists prefer the sound of American hammers, which are not factory installed on a Hamburg Steinway, so there needs to be some distinction there between the N.Y. and Hamburg divisions of S. & S. I've noticed that European grand pianos tend to have a much more rounded bass than U.S. instruments, and this deliberate outcome of design isn't going to be preferred by every pianist.

I'm not sure how important all of this is. When Artur Schnabel abandoned C. Bechstein pianos, audiences didn't say that his magic had disappeared. Liszt built his reputation on pianos other than S. & S. - I don't think he ever played on one except for an instrument that was gifted to him. Nyiregyhazi had the wherewithal to get his massive tone out of any piano, and unlike Josef Hofmann, Horowitz and Paderewski, he didn't have special concert instruments for his use and suited to his particular goals in sound.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission