2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
I was taught every note in the bar after the accidental, no matter what octave, is affected by the accidental. I would use courtesy accidentals just to make sure. The issue is not who's right, but more how can we reduce ambiguity.

Oh, my best thing?
P5 in equal temperament beat 0.5 beats per second narrow, not 0.25, which I thought and taught for years!

Also, that posting on a public forum is a skill in itself.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 01/25/15 05:02 PM.
C
C
It is a rule they don't want n in writing. One of those things for those in the know.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
1.) PW introduced me to the music of Ludovico Einaudi and David Nevue. 'Nuff said.

2.) Concentrate on setting the "fractures" in a piece (i.e., playing a few measures before, during, and after a particularly tricky passage).

3.) Don't just practice a tricky section until you play it right. Once you get it right, play it again until you can play it 7 times in a row correctly.

E
E
Originally Posted by LindaR
One of the best things I ever learned, only one of the best, that I will mention- the simple rule I first learned here which is why I came here. An accidentaled note is sharped, flatted, naturaled on the same following notes in that measure/bar but only if it is in the same octave. I don't believe I have ever read that in any workbook or theory book.

See for eg:
Theory Essentials 2nd ed. Connie E. Mayfield
p8 Ch I The Basics of Reading Music
When any accidental (sharp, flat, or natural) is placed in a measure of music, it stays in
effect on that particular line or space until the end of the measure, a segment of music de-lineated by a vertical line (or bar line) crossing all lines of the staff. The accidental does not
affect any other line or space on the staff, including other lines or spaces that have the same
letter name
. It is canceled by the next bar line or by a natural sign within the same measure.
This is an important rule to remember when naming notes, because a single accidental can
affect several other notes within a measure.

Practical Theory Complete A Self-instruction Music Theory Course - Sandy Feldstein
p29 Lesson 27

Flats, sharps and naturals are called ACCIDENTAL signs.
When they are placed before a note, they affect every note on the same line or space for an entire measure.
A natural sign cancels the flat or sharp within the same measure.
A bar line also cancels an accidental.
When a note is tied across the bar line, it's accidental carries acros also.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Monica K.
1.) PW introduced me to the music of Ludovico Einaudi and David Nevue. 'Nuff said.

2.) Concentrate on setting the "fractures" in a piece (i.e., playing a few measures before, during, and after a particularly tricky passage).

3.) Don't just practice a tricky section until you play it right. Once you get it right, play it again until you can play it 7 times in a row correctly.

Monica - I have to say that your Youtube videos are an inspiration for me. Someday, I intend to be playing like you already can.

Regards,

Tony

Roland V-Grand
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
How much I lacked discipline to master the skill (or really any, for that matter). This humbling realization has really helped me out in all aspects of life, let alone simply improving at the instrument.

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
...the wonderfulness of piano friends.

V
V

I met a lot of wonderful piano friends here and received a lot of encouragment, which helped me with my piano goals. I love being here and I hope I'll not be kicked from this subforum.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by verqueue

I met a lot of wonderful piano friends here and received a lot of encouragment, which helped me with my piano goals. I love being here and I hope I'll not be kicked from this subforum.

that will never happen, we value your opinions too much as well as enjoy being reading about your journey.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
that "beginners" speak in an strangely advanced and unknown language.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I've learned some new skills in dissecting and analyzing problems/methods of study, through somewhat heated debates.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
F
F
Originally Posted by tbonesays

Amen friend! When I first looked at the postings here I was thinking "These are beginners!!!!!"

So far for me the most useful thing I've learned is that there are You Tube videos of the lessons in Alfred's Adult Beginner's book. Those have been extremely useful for me!

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
M
M
The most important lesson I've learned here: Piano is a long term project. no matter how hard i work or practice, it's going to take a long while. Play every day for a year and you are still at the beginning of the learning curve. i need to remind myself of this when things get frustrating (and it is VERY much at times)

Loving/Suffering through Alfred's Adult Book #1
E
E
Originally Posted by tbonesays

.... which could be easily picked up wink

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
The absolute best thing I have learned from piano world. And I wouldn't have found it without piano world.
Artistry Alliance

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
One of the best things I ever learned, only one of the best, that I will mention- the simple rule I first learned here which is why I came here. An accidentaled note is sharped, flatted, naturaled on the same following notes in that measure/bar but only if it is in the same octave. I don't believe I have ever read that in any workbook or theory book.

I really have to share a "student" tale here. I had a very serious little girl studying with me years ago. She was very anxious to learn and obeyed my every instruction to the letter. One day I explained to her the rules of the "accidentals" ... carefully pointing out that they applied to only one measure and only one octave. I thought I'd given a stellar explanation until the following week when she came for her lesson. We opened her music and I noticed she had carefully applied "white-out" to every accidental. I was puzzled and asked her why.

"Oh Miss .... you told me they were "accidents" so I took them out."

Sometimes you have to be careful what you say to a very conscientious student. laugh

MRC Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member

See Elaine Gould's Behind Bars (the current "bible" of music notation), page 78:

"An accidental holds good for the duration of a bar. It applies only to the pitch at which it is written: each additional octave requires a further accidental"

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Originally Posted by Jytte
Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions...
I would prefer to say it comes with experience. Practise should be something deliberate. wink

Like dynamobt, I think the recitals are the best thing. There are several resources on the 'net for increasing the efficiency of our practise but the one I remember most begins with "Listen!" (Dr. Brent Hugh).

There's nothing that lifts our performance or ability more than careful listening and nothing that makes us listen more than making a recording for others.

Yes, I am finally understanding this. Because you encouraged me to be in the ABF recital I now see how I can incorporate recording into my regular practice sessions. I'm starting my session today with the Mozart Fantasia I'm working on!

Carl

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
For me it was: Get a teacher!

I now realize just how ridiculous it was to try to learn on my own. smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by verqueue

that will never happen, we value your opinions too much as well as enjoy being reading about your journey.

+1

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission