2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I've been learning on my own for two or three months now, and making reasonable progress. I recently met with a teacher to discuss lessons. I pointed out that, at 6'-6" tall, with long legs, I couldn't get my knees under the edge of the keyboard, nor could I position my feet to operate the pedals. (I have raised my own small grand on 1¾" blocks). Her solution to be able to play her piano was for me to place my knees against the front of the keyboard and stretch my arms out almost straight to be able to reach the keys. I tried this when I got home, and it was unworkable after about 5 minutes. Before I raised my own instrument, I was stretching my legs either forward or back to allow me to get my knees 2-3" under the keyboard, which puts my arms and body in good alignment. Of course, at this stage, I do not need the pedals. My bench is at the correct height to put my forearms parallel to the floor and elbows at the same height as the keyboard. From everything I've found, there is widespread agreement, within slight variations, that this is correct. I searched for any pictures I could find of professional pianists as well as teachers, also looked for descriptions of posture, and found none that called for sitting so far away that the arms are held out straight, and concluded that she gave me this answer to recruit a new student.

So, my question- Are there any other tall piano players out there, and if so, how do you accommodate your height when playing?

J
J
Well I'm 6ft 5 and have no problems sitting. I think you may have your bench too low making your knees point up - I have my bench slightly higher so that my knees are able to point downwards therefore fitting underneath the piano perfectly. Give it a go

Justin

Essex EUP-123S

B
B
I too am 6'5" I just kinda do this weird knees-out, feet-in kind of thing. Let's me have my foot by the pedal, but keeping my knees off to the side let's them be lower to the ground. It doesn't really feel as weird as it sounds, now that I actually look at what I just wrote haha I just kinda make it work. I generally just use the very tip of my foot to use the pedal. I only have one pedal (digital) so really I am only trying to squeeze one leg under there, my left foot I keep tucked back, pretty much under my seat. My friend has a piano that I can't even play because of its size.

Nick
A
A
As far as I know, knees don't need to be below the keys. I'm 6'6" and I don't have a problem you describe.

- Artur Gajewski

Working on:
Beethoven - Fur Elise
Chopin - Waltz in A minor
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Artur Gajewski
As far as I know, knees don't need to be below the keys. I'm 6'6" and I don't have a problem you describe.

I'm playing a Mason & Hamlin B small grand piano. With my feet flat on the floor and my knees against the keyboard, when I sit up more or less straight, my arms are extended well beyond the range of comfort, forming about a 45° angle, to enable me to reach the keys. I have searched out many pictures and videos of piano players, and have never seen this type of posture, rather that the upper and lower arms should be closer to a 90° angle. And, of course, bench height has no bearing on the length of my lower legs, which is simple anatomy.

F
F
I guess there's a rather tall crowd here. wink

I too am 6'6". I take the same general approach as beechcraft409

I've noticed in concert halls (local conservatory here), many of the grand pianos are setup to be movable. This general lifts a good 3-4", or just enough for me to not worry about hitting the bottom.

My teacher's grand isn't lifted. I play by both adjusting the bench slight out, and placing my knee to the side. This does put some extra pressure on the ankle, especially if you're lifting off the bench for those loud grand chords. In general, I solve this by pulling my other foot into/under the bench slightly. This (obviously) makes using the una corda pedal a bit of a pain.

I'm largely thankful that so many pianos need to be moveable. :-)

I've realized over time, to adjust the bench for the forearm angle, NOT the legs. My personal observation is that bench height has some, but not as much to do with physical height as you'd imagine. You'll get more bang for your buck by pulling the bench back and adjusting the angle of your knee. It's not "perfect" posture, but the world isn't designed for tall people.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Fate
I guess there's a rather tall crowd here. wink

I too am 6'6". I take the same general approach as beechcraft409

I've noticed in concert halls (local conservatory here), many of the grand pianos are setup to be movable. This general lifts a good 3-4", or just enough for me to not worry about hitting the bottom.

My teacher's grand isn't lifted. I play by both adjusting the bench slight out, and placing my knee to the side. This does put some extra pressure on the ankle, especially if you're lifting off the bench for those loud grand chords. In general, I solve this by pulling my other foot into/under the bench slightly. This (obviously) makes using the una corda pedal a bit of a pain.

I'm largely thankful that so many pianos need to be moveable. :-)

I've realized over time, to adjust the bench for the forearm angle, NOT the legs. My personal observation is that bench height has some, but not as much to do with physical height as you'd imagine. You'll get more bang for your buck by pulling the bench back and adjusting the angle of your knee. It's not "perfect" posture, but the world isn't designed for tall people.

Thanks for your input. Your comments seem to validate my solution to raise my own piano and bench to get correct upper body and arm posture while accommodating long legs. You could say I've "lowered the floor".

J
J
check out this thread from a couple of years back - may have all the answers you need 88slowpoke

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...1/topic/016997/Number/0/site_id/1#import

Essex EUP-123S

J
J
or this one

http://www.abrsm.org/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t31585.html

just google it - those sites were the top two of many

Essex EUP-123S

OP Offline
Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h
check out this thread from a couple of years back - may have all the answers you need 88slowpoke

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...1/topic/016997/Number/0/site_id/1#import

Thanks, I just looked at that thread. More evidence that I am on the right track. I made three of these from a scrap of 1¾" mahogany I had in the shop. For now, I'm using a firm cushion to raise the seating position, but when I get it fine tuned, I'll upholster the bench to have comfortable seating at the correct height. [img]http://s1082.beta.photobucket.com/user/Slowpoke80/media/Pianoriserblock002.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[/img]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm also 6'6;" most of my height is in my lower legs...

I'm looking for a piano bench that is taller than the 21" or 22" standard. I think one's forearms should be such that they slightly descend into the keys.

If anybody knows of such a bench, please let us know!

P.S.: I'm using a digital piano (Kawai MP7). The stand for the moment is four milk crates with a few hard rubber 12" x 12" x 1/2" athletic floor squares on top of them to protect the keyboard.

Thanks,

- Jeff

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hey Nick -

6'6" here as well, with a digital piano (Kawai MP7) that needs a stand.

Which one do you use and how do you like it?

Thanks,

- Jeff

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
OP Offline
Your elbows should be the same distance from the floor as the tops of the keys, and your upper legs should not rise from hips to knees, they should be about level. With the two variables being bench height and keyboard height, you could continue experimenting with your temporary setup by trial and error. Perhaps someone could help you measure from your elbows to the floor, this is not easy to estimate.

Most keyboard stands are height adjustable, so you need only to customize the bench. I raised my piano on blocks, extended the lyre to match, and made a new lid for my bench, adding a thin pad and some upholstery (see photo).

The world wasn't made for us tall folks!
[img]https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0/Piano_height_adjustments.html#comments[/img]

E
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
E
My Hidrau bench goes up to 23" high - just a bit higher than standard but it really makes a difference and now my elbows are at the right height for the keyboard. I haven't found anything higher. The seat of this bench (maybe all Hidrau?) angles downward a bit toward the front, which helps get the torso/arms/hands up higher and the feet closer to the pedals

I like 88slowpoke's idea of adding height during reupholstering.

For playing elsewhere, I bring a firm cushion and/or sturdy towels and fold them as needed to achieve the optimal height. That will help you get high enough but maybe doesn't help getting long legs under the piano and accessing the pedals so easily.

I think there would be a market for piano benches that adjust more easily, remember the setting for each person in a household, and go both lower and higher than the current standard... And automated adjustable height piano casters...

C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
I'm looking for a piano bench that is taller than the 21" or 22" standard. I think one's forearms should be such that they slightly descend into the keys.

If anybody knows of such a bench, please let us know!

- Jeff

Go to your local music store, and try out the "drum thrones". Height is adjustable, and the well-padded ones are very comfortable.

.Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission