2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2385652 02/13/15 12:08 PM
M
OP Offline
M
James,

I have pre ordered a CA97 but no one on this end has any idea on how the west coast ports shutting down is going to affect estimated arrivals at US dealers. Can you shed some "insider" light on what we might expect? I know everything depends on the time the shut down continues but are there units already in the US or are we dead in the water (pun intended) until further notice?

Thanks,
Brian

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm, pay the dock workers a decent wage so we can have our digital pianos on time, dangit! wink

M
OP Offline
M
I very much agree Mr. Fudd!

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
the dock workers are pulling in over $100,000 a year. I'll take that smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
James is just the guy who updates the manuals at head office in Japan... I doubt he'll know much about some parochial industrial dispute in one country. My uneducated guess would be that a 4-day shutdown will delay shipments for a few days.

When were you expecting your CA97 to arrive? I think pre-ordering before having the chance to try one is pretty dumb sub-optimal purchasing. wink But be sure to report your thoughts when you've had a chance to put it through its paces!

Originally Posted by FT.com
The PMA [Pacific Maritime Association] said on February 4 that it had made a “comprehensive contract offer” designed to bring the talks to a conclusion. The PMA said its offer would boost terminal employees’ average annual pay from $147,000 to $162,000 over five years, increase workers’ maximum pensions and leave healthcare terms intact.

WTF? $147,000 average pay, and they're striking about it? LOL. I should have been a stevedore.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
M
OP Offline
M
I was not soliciting anyone's opinion of my purchase nor was I asking for opinions or political commentary on what longshormen make or don't make... that is their business. Each one of us is free to choose the career path of our liking so any regrets are of our own making.

For the record, I have prior experience with both the CA63 and the CA95 and am quite comfortable pre ordering the 97. I am not in the habit of making "dumb" major purchases.

S
S
The more rich you are, more money you want. These guys will never know how is to live with less than $450,00/month.

Just saying...

Last edited by Skylover; 02/13/15 05:03 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano RX
I was not soliciting anyone's opinion of my purchase nor was I asking for opinions or political commentary on what longshormen make or don't make... that is their business.

So it's fine for people to say that they should "pay the dock workers a decent wage", and others to "very much agree", but when anyone disagrees (i.e. presents some actual facts), we should shut up? I see.

I am not in the habit of making "dumb" major purchases.

In your opinion. That's fine. I was stating mine, which is that pre-ordering products that you haven't had the chance to try, and that no-one's even tested or reviewed, is often a bad idea. For the benefit of other forum users, not you in particular. If your gamble pays off, great.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by FT.com
The PMA [Pacific Maritime Association] said on February 4 that it had made a “comprehensive contract offer” designed to bring the talks to a conclusion. The PMA said its offer would boost terminal employees’ average annual pay from $147,000 to $162,000 over five years, increase workers’ maximum pensions and leave healthcare terms intact.

UNBELIEVEABLE. smokin

And here's some additional info......
"ILWU workers receive a compensation package that is “among the most lucrative among all blue-collar workers in the United States,” according to the PMA. Full-time workers earn an average of $142,000 annually in wages, along with a non-wage benefits package costing more than $82,000 per active worker per year. Pay ranges depend on the job, with regular longshoremen earning less than clerks and both of them earning less than foremen. According to the 2013 Pacific Maritime Association Annual Report, most of the 9,985 “Class A” longshoremen working that year, which comprised those who worked 2,000 or more total hours, earned roughly $137,000 per year, though many earned less and a few of the highest paid longshoremen, those who worked an average of more than 50 hours per week, earned over $200,000. Most clerks earned roughly $147,000, while the highest-paid earned well over $200,000 per year. Walking bosses, or foremen, are the highest-paid ILWU workers, many of them earning well over $200,000 and some more than $300,000. Nearly 13,600 ILWU workers are employed at West Coast ports. In 2013, the total payroll for the nearly 13,600 ILWU members was roughly $1.4 billion."

Last edited by carey; 02/13/15 07:16 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Hello Brian,

As lolatu notes, I am just the guy who updates the manuals at head office only responsible for overseas marketing and materials at Kawai Japan, and as such do not have any further information regarding the West Coast dispute than anyone else contributing to this thread.

However, it may be worth giving Kawai America a call to enquire into when they expect these new models to arrive at dealer's stores.

Regardless, thank you for deciding to purchase the CA97. Please do share your thoughts on this instrument once you have received it.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
P
Carey, that seems to be a pretty good (bloody excellent) compensation package. There must be another side to this story?

K James, I ain't buying the "Oh I don't know anything about international trade relations and how the macroeconomic dynamics of labor disputes affect the delivery of my individual piano purchase." No siree not buying that at all! Come on spill the beans.... eek

No real talent for the Piano.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
the dock workers are pulling in over $100,000 a year. I'll take that smile

And you can have it, I've got much better things to do with my very short life. Where would we be without those who actually do the work we need done so that we can remain aloft, floating above the fray with our beautiful minds. The pay scale is upside down, garbage men should be millionaires. It's obvious who runs the world.

Originally Posted by dewster

floating above the fray with our beautiful minds

I wish!! This has to be quote of the month. . . : )

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
You can't simply take wage and benefit numbers at face value. I lived in Seattle for a time and many, many, kids there live with their parents into their thirties before they can afford a house. The cost of living on the coasts is very high. I live in Michigan now and I kid you not with this: a $20,000 house in Detroit might be worth $750,000 in Seattle.

OTOH, I did know about the strike, but it now makes sense that online vendors are only taking orders for the MP7.

A
A
Keep in mind the interconnectivity of all middle-class wages. Bringing down someone else's wage, ultimately, brings down your own in the overall long-term grand scheme of things. No point striving for the lowest possible common denominator. If anything, the rest of us should be brought up to their level, not the reverse. If these workers negotiate a larger wage it benefits us all in the end.

M
OP Offline
M
Lolatu...

Your comments bring to mind the old saying that it is far better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you may be a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Kawai James has been kind enough to reply to my question so, for me, this thread is closed. Feel free to babble on about your resentment of those who obviously make more money than you but don't waste your time directing any more responses to me as I will not be opening this thread any longer.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by acollins
Keep in mind the interconnectivity of all middle-class wages. Bringing down someone else's wage, ultimately, brings down your own in the overall long-term grand scheme of things. No point striving for the lowest possible common denominator. If anything, the rest of us should be brought up to their level, not the reverse. If these workers negotiate a larger wage it benefits us all in the end.

Well said acollins and a sound economomic datum.

Sound?
Originally Posted by acollins
Nonsense. People don't get "brought up" to a level. People earn their way, whether up or down.

As for the dock worker specifics stated above ...
ILWU workers receive a compensation package that is “among the most lucrative among all blue-collar workers in the United States,” according to the PMA. Full-time workers earn an average of $142,000 annually in wages, along with a non-wage benefits package costing more than $82,000 per active worker per year.
This seems questionable. A web search turns up wage averages in the $20k to $40k area, often with no benefits. Given that, why would another employer pay wages 5x higher? The quoted information seems dubious.

But if these six-figure wage figures were true ... exactly how does that benefit anyone other than those wage earners? It won't bring the rest of us up. Rather, it brings us down in the form of higher prices.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
As for the dock worker specifics stated above ...
ILWU workers receive a compensation package that is “among the most lucrative among all blue-collar workers in the United States,” according to the PMA. Full-time workers earn an average of $142,000 annually in wages, along with a non-wage benefits package costing more than $82,000 per active worker per year.
This seems questionable. A web search turns up wage averages in the $20k to $40k area, often with no benefits. Given that, why would another employer pay wages 5x higher? The quoted information seems dubious.

But if these six-figure wage figures were true ... exactly how does that benefit anyone other than those wage earners? It won't bring the rest of us up. Rather, it brings us down in the form of higher prices.

Here's one of my sources....... smile
http://www.pmanet.org/the-ilwu-workforce

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Amazing. Laborers paid as much as corporate vice-presidents. No wonder this country has such a hard time competing in the world.

Still ... the numbers seem suspicious. With those wages wouldn't you expect a stampede of people clamoring for the jobs? And wouldn't that force down wages? It all seems incredible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission