2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Strat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I wish to buy some neutral speakers but it can be somewhat challenging.

After reading a review of the Definitive Technology SM45 speakers by somebody on this msg board, I bought them only to find that they have quite the uneven tones, especially in the midrange. They sound fantastic for rock music but not for piano playback where humps in certain frequency ranges make it an unappealing listen.

I need some neutral speakers that would cost about 300$ CDN new. Since there is a bass shortage in these types of bookshelf speakers, I plan on using a Klipsch subwoofer (tuned to its minimum in volume) to fill out the bass frequencies more.

What are some suggestions?

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Where you have the speakers positioned in your room can cause the effect you're describing, as well as EQing. How do you have them set up? What amp are you using to drive them?
What piano are you using?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's right. These speakers will deliver a very different sound if you get them away from a wall behind them, get them off of furniture...like a desk will resonate and ad unwanted boosts in all sorts of mid too low end frequencies. Get them on stands with rubber footings. And if you can splurge a little, pick up some Aurelex speaker cushioning material to lesson these vibration issues from contact with surfaces.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have the JBL 3-series monitors (LSR305). They are about $150 USD each or less on sale, and have 3 position bass and treble selectors. With the bass on High, it is too much bass for a piano/keyboard.

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series#.VNF5F53F-So

I compared about 7 different speakers in the music store using a CD of piano performances, and found that the JBL had the most neutral sound. They are not super high end speakers, but I am picky and I do like them a lot (everything I play through them sounds amazing - jazz, electronic, or my DP).

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 02/03/15 09:47 PM.
S
Strat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I need passive speakers since I'll be using a sub and would want the ability to adjust volume without having to put my hand behind the speaker.

As far as the aforementioned speakers are concerned, I've tried them in numerous settings. They're just not a neutral speaker, period. Otherwise, I'd simply change the placement as it would certainly be cheaper than buying a new set of speakers.

KRK seems to be a good choice, but again, I've never actually heard them for myself. Any other brands/models I should really look for?

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Strat
I need passive speakers since I'll be using a sub and would want the ability to adjust volume without having to put my hand behind the speaker.

How do you intend to power the passive speakers?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Strat

What are some suggestions?

I know you probably feel that you are not getting your question through or the responses you want.

The complaint you have about the 45's doesn't seem quite right. A speaker like that has a smaller sonic character and typically should be at ear level and near field.
One of the problems I use to have with dp's is I would turn up the master volume but play with a light touch(I find myself still doing that). The piano sounds really warm and nice that way but the sound can really jump out and overload just from a 'little' lack of control.

Just a thought, not saying you do that.

Typically a real 6" 2-way or 8" 2-way has an overall tonal balance that 5" 2-ways tend to lack, however 5" 2-ways with subs are very popular.
PRESONUS makes a 5" 2-way self powered that is very popular for $225.00.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
JBL LSR308

No need for a sub with these. You can adjust the volume via your computer or better yet get a small mixer.

My friend has them in his studio, he has a great pro tools setup with several pianos to choose from, Ivory, Pianoteq stage and Komplete.

I love playing through them.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
S
Strat Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by anotherscott
How do you intend to power the passive speakers?

By using the amp that's inside the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's sub.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
People love their Klipsch, reminds me of the bumper sticker about giving up your guns by prying 'dead fingers off the trigger'.
A good first step, as Idina Menzel sang 'Let It Go'.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think the amp in the sub is going to color the sound of the speakers, no matter how flat of a response they have. In that kind of situation the only way to know what will sound good is to try it.

The JBL's come in a passive 6" speaker:
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/lsr6300-series/lsr6332

Personally I think you would be better off with the 5" or 8" powered JBL's - there is more than enough bass for a keyboard, even for the electronic pianos and organs and effects. There is a 'stupid' amount of bass with mine turned up and the bass EQ on the piano any higher than 40%. It sounds very unrealistic to me with a lot of bass. But that's my opinion, your ears may disagree.

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 02/07/15 12:33 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission