2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Link to Part 1: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/23978.html
Link to Part 2: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/23988.html
Link to Part 3: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/23993.html
Link to Part 4: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/24005.html

Life is Grand, Part 5 – Conclusion

Next, I went back to Baker Pianos in Littleton to see the Shigerus one more time while everything was fresh in my ears. There were two on the floor, a SK-7 and SK-3. I thoroughly enjoyed the warm, rich, yet clear sound of the SK-7. Like the other fine pianos this one had a powerful distinct bass and an overall tone that made it’s sound so fulfilling. The touch is excellent and this is a piano we could live with for a long time. By interpolation, I knew that the SK6 would be great too. My previous craving for this piano was as strong as ever.

At this point, I was in a daze. I knew what we liked and wanted but the prices were a bit much to swallow. Bluthner, August Forster, Mason & Hamlin and Shigeru; all Group 1 pianos according to Larry Fine, all deserving of this ranking and any of which we would be delighted to own. Petrof or Estonia? Also very nice pianos, I don’t think we could go wrong with either.
Once back at home, I ran some numbers through an excel spreadsheet, it would be a stretch for what we really wanted. I battled with myself about the logic of such a decision, recounting all the arguments for and against spending this much on a piano.

Finally, after much frustration, came a moment of clarity. I got up and drove back to Woods & Son Pianos. Joe and I sat down for a chat and our dilemma was explained to him. I told him that it was up to him to decide whether or not we would own one of these fine pianos. I made an offer to him for one of his pianos,….. he didn’t like it. We talked for a few more minutes, also discussing the other pianos on our short list, and then I left.

On the drive home I reviewed everything that happened so far, and considering all the facts, decided that I had made the right decision.
When I got home I needed to call my wife at work and bring her up to date with all that had transpired this day, I had not spoken with her since she left home for work this morning. When she answered I said: “Honey, we need to get a new rug”; “Why?” she asked. “To go under our new piano”, I replied.

As I write this, delivery of the 2003 August Forster model 215 is about 2 hours away. The dining room table and chairs are in the basement, a new rug is on the floor of the dining…. Uhhh, I mean Piano room… and we feel like two young children waiting for Santa Clause to arrive.

I can hardly believe the evolution that this piano quest underwent. All I wanted was a digital piano with a little better sound and feel. What we ended up with comes from another universe. Of course, this would not be possible without the cooperation and encouragement of a most wonderful and loving wife. I would also like to thank a few forum members here that assisted me in private messages. Many thanks also go to Trevor Nelson, who joined me in this search and helped us make an informed decision. And finally, thanks to an understanding and cooperative piano dealer, Joe Woods, who in the end, accommodated our limitations and made the dream of owning a wonderful GRAND piano possible.

I’ll post pictures soon.
In closing I want to tell you that our experiences at every dealer we visited were excellent. We encountered no high pressure sales tactics and no bashing of the competition. Everyone we met was a true professional. I would highly recommend any of the piano dealers mentioned in this story.

Very truly yours,
kadiddle

ps, the digital piano will remain in my office

Link to Pictures: http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/24029.html

August Forster 215
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Hooray! I was so rooting for the AF215. laugh You have made a lifetime purchase and made a fantastic choice. I hope you have a decades of love with that piano.

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
What a wonderful story! Congratulations. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations! Excellent choice! And Monica was right too so we have two winners..... But I have to ask, what happened to the 9' Bechstein? How did it fall out of the running?

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Dan & SophieM, thanks for the support.
Woody, size and price kept the 9' Bechstein from ever being "in the running". You'll see the size problem when I post the pics.
My wife and I had also tried a new 9' Bech at another dealer during this quest and were most impressed by it, I think the price they had on it before haggling was $180,000. It was sitting next to a Pramberger 9' concert grand (about half the price of the Bechstein if recall correctly). Out of deference to Pramberge I'll not mention the differences.
kadiddle

August Forster 215

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
WOOT! I'm so rarely right on these guessing games that I gotta celebrate when I am. laugh

Congratulations, kadiddle, on your new AF 215. smile And thank you for a most enjoyable piano search story. thumb

OP Offline
Yeah, you had it Monica k.
I'm sure this has happened to others.... Once we tried the Af215 it just grabbed us and nothing else we tried, no matter how good, could take the spot it occupied in our hearts and mind. When Trevor joined me in this hunt, I think the same happened with him but the difference is that Trevor was better able to "quantify" (or is it "qualify"?) what it was about this piano that made it so appealing. It sat in the showroom adjacent to some very tuff competition, but nothing else could top it in either an emotional or a logical comparison.
One thing I found interesting during this quest was that my wife was almost instantly able to rank the pianos by just poking a few notes on them. Even after scrutiny by Trevor there was hardly any change in our rankings from her 5 second evaluation.
kadiddle

August Forster 215
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
kadiddle,

I was sincere in my response yesterday regarding your wife. It's not everyday that a non-player/addict willingly gives up a part of the house nor tromps through piano store after piano store and has the ability to identify the right piano instantly. I think she should be in the running for "spouse of the year" if we ever have one of those here at PW.

Regarding the $180K asking price for the new concert Bech.... I had no idea! Based on everything you've said in your postings the AF certainly matches it it for performance versus size.

I'm looking forward to the pictures and a follow-up report in a few months to let us know how the AF is "breaking-in".

Thanks for the entertaining and informative posts.

Woody

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Nice ending!

Only 2 hours wait? Lucky you...some of us have to wait months!!!

Now...I have a question.

"I made an offer to him for one of his pianos,….. he didn’t like it. We talked for a few more minutes, also discussing the other pianos on our short list, and then I left."

Was this an offer on a piano OTHER than the Forster? If so, which?

Forsters are beautiful pianos. I watched as one happy new owner was still playing her new purchase of a Forster when I arrived at Cathy Harl's for the DC weekend with Lisitsa last year.
She was smiling ear to ear!

Now, you also realize that we like delivery pics, right? And now there is even a thread on WHAT PIECE DID YOU FIRST PLAY on your new piano!!!

Enjoy, kadiddle. It was fun sharing it with you.

;-)

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
OP Offline
Woody, she certainly gets my vote. In fairness, remember that early on she said that if we got a Grand that she would likely learn to play also. So there may have been a little self interest involved, but make no mistake about it, she's one in a billion.

Lilylady,
The offer was for the AF215. The final price was not far from the offer. I prefer not say what that price is, but suffice it to say that if I did mention it, most of you would be wondering why all the fuss about the price. wink
kadiddle

August Forster 215
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by kadiddle:
Many thanks also go to Trevor Nelson, who joined me in this search and helped us make an informed decision.
Congratulations on your purchase.

Good you had Trevor helping you, he is a great guy and very talented technician. thumb

Enjoy.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

V
V
I have been looking for Forsters during my piano search but had no luck. Anyway, congrats and be sure to post them pictures!

OP Offline
Rod V, I was lucky to have found Trevor. He had just the right skill set and personality that we needed. Super nice guy.

Vlamb, Woods & Son has an AF170 and an AF190 in stock at very good prices. His 190 is excellent. I'm sure he could get a 215 or 275 if you wanted one.
http://www.woodspianos.com/
Let us know how your search goes.
Kadiddle

August Forster 215
kadiddle, congratulations on your piano! May you and your wife enjoy it for years to come. You wouldn't have gone wrong with any of the pianos on your final list, but it seems that you got the one that's just right for you.

Online Content
The AF 215 is a simply wonderful piano. That was the piano that tempted me to venture deeper into the perilous fantasy realm of high-end grand pianos, never to return to the world of prudence and cold rationality. Oh well, I’ve never for even one second regretted my purchase, and I’m sure you won’t either. You will enjoy that piano more with every passing day. Congratulations, and may you and your wife have many joyful years of playing.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
kadiddle, great writing! I enjoyed reading about your quest for the perfect piano. I am glad you found it! Congratulations, now just play it! thumb

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission