2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 10 invisible), 2,074 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Forrest Halford
Posts by zrtf90

Gosh yes, I'm in the fan club too :-)

I think the number one thing for me has been don't learn from the start of the piece.

Very close runners up are slow practice & small sections.

On any given day I might reorder those ...

[Linked Image]
E
E
Originally Posted by Forrest Halford
Posts by zrtf90

F

+1

A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
There are so many things it's hard to pick one. My playing has improved the most due to my teacher, and I doubt I would have it teacher if it wasn't for PW, so that's probably it.

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by BrianDX
I am not alone in my pursuit.

+1

This is such a great little community that we have here in our corner of the internet. I've been honored to be able to share what little I know and grateful to have been able to learn from those who know so much more than I. I've learned great things here that have made my practice more productive and efficient; but most of all i've learned that when pursuing a goal as complex as learning the piano, community matters.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think the most valuable thing that I have learned is how to approach practicing. So many times, someone will mention something that sends me researching. This often ends up with a "lightbulb moment" that transforms how I approach a technique, or how I approach a new piece.

The 2nd most valuable thing is the introduction to a wealth of music to play through the quarterly and themed recitals. Many of the pieces that I play, I heard here first!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
The most important piano skill I have learned is the importance of slow, sometimes super-slow, practice. I always thought playing fast was the proof I knew something; I now believe that slow playing is harder.

The most prominent overall thing I've learned from PW is that being passionate about a hobby is way more common than you think, and it makes for some really fun and interesting people!

Estonia 168
M
M
I'm relatively new here, but have already gleaned lots of valuable things, such as:

1. That other people seem to like Ludovico Einaudi and Frederic Chopin

2. That you should never ask 'which is better, digital or acoustic?'

3. That everything will come with time, practice and effort

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Medden.....

#2... not if you want a short answer, no ROFL

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Purkoy
I've learned many things on Piano World, but the most useful thing I've learned hasn't been 'how to do something', it's been learning that piano playing isn't easy, it's hard, and it requires multiple skills. It's been learning that every difficulty I have faced, hasn't been peculiar to me. Everyone else seems to have had the same hurdles to overcome, sometimes in exactly the same places. It's hard to overstate how encouraging that has been! It's an extraordinary motivator, to keep going, and perhaps vary my practice according to the tips I have picked up here.

+1

Without PW, I'd have been in a vacuum--I don't know anyone else who is learning to play (unless I count my niece's eight-year-old daughter, but she lives a thousand miles away smile ), so PW is where I come to spend time with other piano crazies enthusiasts. Learning that others struggle and overcome (and rinse and repeat) *is* encouraging.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
It does not boil down to a single thing for me. For learning, there has been so much and more at the ready. I agree with all and specifically the comments around recording and recitals, as the most important discipline I have learned. It is really what has made all the difference for me. Never before would I work on a work smile as far, as I feel compelled to do in preparation for recording it. And just the entire atmosphere of the recitals as well, has also inspired motivation that did not exist prior. I view Piano as a serious hobby now, vs. a wandering moderate interest for many years prior to Piano World.

I really need to start doing a better job of planning for the recitals though.

A
A
I've learned it's never too late to start a new instrument and never give up.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I think one of the most important things I've learned is that "it isn't just me" -- it really does take a lot time to gain the necessary skills, and I have to be patient with myself. Knowing that others struggle with the baby steps and are impatience with (lack of) progress, really helps me hang in there when I feel I am crawling rather than stepping. It helps me keep my perspective.

(Yes, ok, I still need reminders every now and then!)

I second and third what you have written and I have a great teacher thanks to a Piano World friend whose name try as I might can't remember. Thank you Piano World smile

Last edited by musdan; 01/20/15 12:52 AM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

The best thing I've learned here so far is that playing by ear is not a gift, it can be learned ... + a few members here told me where to go online to get that training. Paid off big time.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

S
S
To make periodic recordings to critique myself and to measure my progress.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
E
E
Originally Posted by alans
I've learned it's never too late to start a new instrument and never give up.

+1 And enjoy the journey ....

M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
1) I learned how to shop for a piano. This site helped me through two piano upgrades. Until I came here it had not occurred to me that part of the reason I sounded so bad and did not enjoy practice was that my original horrid old piano should have been firewood 80 years ago.

2) MOYD has helped me to get my practice schedule going, so consistency and understanding of good practice techniques were important lessons learned.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
1. Slow down, they all said again and again. I thought, "What? My beginner's default speed is near non-movement so how do I slow down?
A year or so later when each tiny incremental increase in speed brought out a joyful "Yippee, I'm learning!" the last thing I wanted to do is slow down.
Finally, three years into the process it became clear. Slow down before it all goes sideways. Really. Slow down.

2. Try to find a good teacher if time and finances allow. We tend to work only our strengths. The teacher will find and work those annoying weaknesses.

3. Don't get discouraged when the swarm of adult responsibilities gets in the way. When the gnats get thick and piano practice has to take a back seat even five minutes a day on the keys will continue forward momentum.

4. Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.

5. Selecting a piano is as personal as selecting a best friend. With benefits.

Last edited by Tararex; 01/24/15 06:28 AM. Reason: sp

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Only ONE best thing? Where to start?!

The very first which comes to mind is finding out that there are companies out there that will spiral bind your music albums. Thank you to whoever recommended it; I've now had all of mine done. I'd never have thought of it, and yet it makes so much difference.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tararex
............ 4. Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.........

+1 This would serve well as our new ABF slogan.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

C
C
One of the best things I ever learned, only one of the best, that I will mention- the simple rule I first learned here which is why I came here. An accidentaled note is sharped, flatted, naturaled on the same following notes in that measure/bar but only if it is in the same octave. I don't believe I have ever read that in any workbook or theory book.

Last edited by LindaR; 01/25/15 04:07 PM. Reason: the the

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission