2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The new Shigeru is lovely smile

Also mellow pianos are nice, wondering about the GF2 action and wanting to listen some more complex pieces playes on this new one smile

P
P
Any idea what the U.S. price for the CA97 will be? The Euro to US conversion put it at about $4.5k... is that about right?

No real talent for the Piano.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
On the europe site of kawai.....

Kawai CA 97

I just ordered a new CA 95 two days ago........But no regrets.....

Regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 01/22/15 06:07 PM.

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
P
P
I'd love to learn more details about the enhancements in GF II and more details about the 3 piano samples in CA67/CA97. The videos don't say much. I keep hoping that James would chime in now that the instruments have been unveiled, but his post is not coming....:-(

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
M
M
The manual says they use HI-XL sampling technology, I think the notes are sampled and looped as in CA 65/95 with similar attack times (listen the end of both videos).
Anyway, for me, they have a very nice tone, I'd like to see how they behave with very slow music.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So I've had a look at the video and a browse through the CA97 manual. I haven't physically encountered one, obviously. Here are the changes I can see from the CA95, with my comments.
smile = good sick = meh mad = bad

Hardware:
  • smile CA97 looks very similar design, but has shrunk 1 cm in width and depth, and 0.5 cm in height, and lost 2 kg. Maybe using thinner wood? CA67 has actually grown: dimensions are now the same as the CA97 except 1 cm less depth, and has gained 3 kg - since it now has two 8x12 cm top speakers in addition to the two 13 cm woofers and two 5 cm tweeters. Top speakers seems like a pretty significant upgrade over the CA65, which always sounded a bit underpowered in the speakers dept to me. [Note, the specs on kawai.co.uk for speakers in the two models seem to be wrong]
  • sick Grand Feel II action. "Ebony touch" black keys, so the plastic now has a wood grain effect rather than a generic stippling. Who knows if there are any other differences - no details or diagrams are to be seen. I guess it's probably exactly the same.
  • sick Soundboard now has a Kawai decal!
  • sick Customary pointless generational restyling of music stand. Doesn't appear to be any taller, but slightly less curved down at the edges. Should have been made taller.
  • sick Instead of 2 x 6.35 mm headphones sockets, one of them is replaced by a 3.5 mm socket
  • smile Line In changed from 2 x 6.35 mm to 1 x 3.5 mm stereo. Probably a good thing since tidier wiring, but I would prefer if all these sockets weren't on the front of the instrument (of all the silly places), trailing wires out the side.

Software:
  • smile Now has 3 88-key samples: Shigeru EX, Kawai EX, and SK5 Studio Grand. I suspect that the Kawai EX might be the one on the CA95, but still, two new 88-key samples is pretty impressive. I wonder if they sound any good? Also how much extra flash memory did they add, or (gulp) did they squeeze the whole lot into the same amount of memory as before? Rest of the sounds are the same cheesy collection that have graced these instruments for the past 20 years. Pop Aah anyone? Would be nice to drag the harpsichord sounds in particular, and some of the others, into the 21st century.
  • sick "Phones type" setting, for open-back, in-ear etc. Who knows what this actually does, but if it is as useful as Wall EQ... it will not be very useful. Ideally there would independent EQ controls for speakers and headphone output that you could configure depending on your headphones - just two profiles in the Tone Control section that automatically switch would be ideal.
  • smile "SHS" spacial mode for headphones. I guess this mixes various amounts of left and right into each channel, i.e. "Wide" would be pure left on the left earphone, and pure right on the right one, and "Narrow" would have a lot of left channel mixed into the right earphone, and vice versa, creating a more mono sound. In the real world, of course, you would hear a lot of what the left microphone records with your right ear, so this is useful in theory.
  • smile Virtual Technician has been promoted out of a sub-menu to replace "SPLIT" as a single button selection from the main screen. Now has "smart mode", which is marketing-speak for "presets": Noiseless, Deep Resonance, etc. This is a welcome addition. No user-defined presets as far as I can see, though.
  • smile New VT parameters: Cabinet Resonance, Undamped String Resonance. On previous models, if you have reverb off, you strike and release a key, and the sound disappears immediately, making it sound very dead (as well as unrealistic). I would hope Cabinet Resonance fixes this. And string resonance on the undamped strings on the CA95/65 is incorrect: holding down the undamped notes results in string resonance, but when you release them you don't get it (it should be the same because these notes don't have dampers). If they've fixed that, it's a good thing.
  • sick User Voicing lets you "voice" each key from -5 to +5, to make them mellower/brighter. (Though obviously it can't change the character of the sample, so not sure how useful this is.)
  • smile Registrations can now be named and edited. Good job; now they might actually be useful.
  • smile VT settings can now be saved for each sound. It's certainly an improvement, and useful. But what if you want several different settings based on the Shigeru EX? You have to use a registration, but that changes all your Basic Settings, tuning, metronome etc at the same time. There should be a way of storing specifically user sound setups, without all the other stuff.
  • sick For completeness: "User Memory" has changed its name to "Startup setting"; single registrations can now be saved and loaded from USB; User Key Volume has some presets rather than making you change every key yourself.

Things they should have changed but didn't:
  • mad Song recorder still doesn't have tempos for each song. So if you record 10 different songs, they all have to be at the same tempo, or you have to write them down on a piece of paper and change the metronome manually each time.
  • mad mad mad The metronome still has to be playing for you to change its tempo or beat. Imagine how annoying this is when you're switching from practicing one piece to another. Or, to select a rhythm patterns halfway down the list, you not only have to scroll through 50 other (un-numbered) patterns, but you have to listen to them all en-route... it's hard to describe, but I'll just say that it's design of such monumental crapness that the only reason this could have been left like this is as a practical joke, which sadly for anyone who needs to use a metronome extensively (e.g. classical pianists) is completely not funny. Some metronome presets simply accessible by pressing a Voice button while in the Metronome settings screen would also be incredibly useful. Basically, the metronome needs a complete overhaul.
  • sick The "Phones volume" feature still only has "normal" and "high" settings, rather than completely configurable to your headphones (as with separate phones volume on the Roland HP series), so you're going to have to keep manually guessing and setting the correct volume each time you switch between speakers and headphones.

So overall it's a good set of upgrades. Not too much different in the hardware except the extra speakers on the CA67. New piano sounds are the main addition on the software side, along with some useful tweaks to the software.

Is there any chance we could see some of these software tweaks back-ported into a CA95 / CA65 firmware update? Some of the things like Registrations and string resonance were never really right on these models, but now they've been fixed, it would be relatively easy to include them in an update. It's obviously not worth the money to upgrade from a CA95 to a CA97, but I'd pay a small amount for upgraded software if that's what's stopping them.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by PtJaa
I'd love to learn more details about the enhancements in GF II and more details about the 3 piano samples in CA67/CA97. The videos don't say much.

PtJaa, I have prepared documents for dealers and distributors that summarise the new features and improvements of the CA97/CA67. However, I will need to double-check if they can be shared publicly.

Until then, the following PDF may help to answer some of your questions:

https://db.tt/ua9D1Ezp

Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
The manual says they use HI-XL sampling technology.

Correct. The SK-EX, SK-5, and EX sounds all use full HI-XL 88-key sampling.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by PtJaa
I'd love to learn more details about the enhancements in GF II and more details about the 3 piano samples in CA67/CA97. The videos don't say much.

PtJaa, I have prepared documents for dealers and distributors that summarise the new features and improvements of the CA97/CA67. However, I will need to double-check if they can be shared publicly.

Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
The manual says they use HI-XL sampling technology.

Correct. The SK-EX, SK-5, and EX sounds all use full HI-XL 88-key sampling.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks James. Very interesting details about the speaker system at the bottom!

P
P
As regards Grand Feel and Grand Feel II, I wonder why this article on Kawai's internet pages

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/articles/2014/mmr-MPseriesPR.html

states that "MP11 features the acclaimed GFII wooden-key action" while the dedicated Kawai MP pages states that MP11 has the Grand Feel action (i.e. no II).

Maybe James can shed some light on this?

For info I have both an MP11 and a VPC1 and like both but prefer the touch on MP11.

Online Content
lolatu, thank you for posting your detailed comments.

Please allow me to respond to some of your points:

Originally Posted by lolatu
CA97 looks very similar design, but has shrunk 1 cm in width and depth, and 0.5 cm, and lost 2 kg. Maybe using thinner wood?

The CA97 is a little more compact, yes. I am not aware of any changes to the thickness/quality of the wood used for the cabinet.

CA67 has actually grown: dimensions are now the same as the CA97 except 1 cm less depth, and has gained 3 kg - since it now has two 8x12 cm top speakers in addition to the two 13 cm woofers and two 5 cm tweeters. Top speakers seems like a pretty significant upgrade over the CA65...

Yes, the CA67 has a slightly larger cabinet in order to accommodate the improved speaker system, and match the design of the CA97.

"Ebony touch" black keys, so the plastic now has a wood grain effect rather than a generic stippling.

The new Ebony Touch surface is a considerable improvement (both in terms of touch feeling and appearance) over the previous black key surfaces. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised once you've had a chance to experience it for yourself.

Who knows if there are any other differences - no details or diagrams are to be seen. I guess it's probably exactly the same.

Aside from the 'Ebony Touch' black key surface, the GFII action offers the following improvements:

- More authentic key width and edge camber for black keys (based on SK-EX specification)
- Richer colour for black keys
- Moisture absorbency for black keys
- Revised hammer shape and weight (optimised centre of gravity, improves dynamic load)
- Counterweights on all 88 keys, graded from bass to treble
- Improved note-on timing, with ability to trigger notes from the let-off point

Soundboard now has a Kawai decal!

Well spotted! wink

Customary pointless generational restyling of music stand. Should have been made taller.

Not possible, as I explained to you previously.

Instead of 2 x 6.35 mm headphones sockets, one of them is replaced by a 3.5 mm socket

Correct. This is an added convenience when using mini-jack earphones.

Line In changed from 2 x 6.35 mm to 1 x 3.5 mm stereo.

Correct. This is an added convenience when connecting a phone, tablet, laptop etc. as you don't need to use a splitter cable.

but I would prefer if all these sockets weren't on the front of the instrument (of all the silly places), trailing wires out the side.

I take your point, however placing jacks on the back side is also inconvenient for owners who place their piano against a wall.

Now has 3 88-key samples: Shigeru EX, Kawai EX, and SK5 Studio Grand. I suspect that the Kawai EX might be the one on the CA95, but still, two new 88-key samples is pretty impressive.

Correct.

I wonder if they sound any good? Also how much extra flash memory did they add, or (gulp) did they squeeze the whole lot into the same amount of memory as before?

The new SK-EX and SK-5 samples (and variations) sound great. The SK-EX is now the 'No.1 sound'. Sample memory size is several times larger than the previous generation instruments.

Rest of the sounds are the same cheesy collection that have graced these instruments for the past 20 years.

Some of these additional sounds have been improved or taken directly from the MP11/MP7 (I don't have a list to hand, I'm afraid), however it goes without saying that the vast majority of sample memory is dedicated to the acoustic piano sounds.

"Phones type" setting, for open-back, in-ear etc. Who knows what this actually does, but if it is as useful as Wall EQ... it will not be very useful.

I'm sure some customers will find this feature useful. Please let me know what you think after you've tried the instrument for yourself.

[lots of positive points that I agree with]

For completeness: panel lock has new easy access key combo

I believe this feature was also present on the CA95/CA65, wasn't it? Just without the padlock icon printed on the panel.

"User Memory" has changed its name to "Startup setting"

Correct. This is a company-wide policy, requested by the domestic (Japanese) sales division.

Song recorder still doesn't have tempos for each song. So if you record 10 different songs, they all have to be at the same tempo, or you have to write them down on a piece of paper and change the metronome manually each time.

I'll have to double-check this with the development team.

The metronome still has to be playing for you to change its tempo or beat. <Rant snipped> Basically, the metronome needs a complete overhaul.

Well, if enough users complain, we may consider revising this functionality with a software update.

The "Phones volume" feature still only has "normal" and "high" settings, rather than completely configurable to your headphones (as with separate phones volume on the Roland HP series), so you're going to have to keep manually guessing and setting the correct volume each time you switch between speakers and headphones.

This may be difficult to implement with the CA's hardware volume fader (as opposed to 'software' buttons), but it's a good suggestion that I will pass on to the CA team. Thank you.

So overall it's a good set of upgrades.

Correct.

Not too much different in the hardware except the extra speakers on the CA67.

...and the improved keyboard action, larger sample memory, higher quality headphone amplifier.

New piano sounds are the main addition on the software side, along with some useful tweaks to the software.

Yes and no. The new piano sounds are obviously the main software improvement (although this also relates to hardware, as noted in my previous comment), however the additional modelled resonances, more flexible Virtual Technician and Registration functionality, along with the ability for each sound to have its own settings are all great improvements. Ah, and we have the iPad app compatibility too.

Is there any chance we could see some of these software tweaks back-ported into a CA95 / CA65 firmware update?

I'm afraid I don't know, but by all means feel free to contact Kawai UK/Kawai Europe to make this suggestion to the staff there.

It's obviously not worth the money to upgrade from a CA95 to a CA97...

Actually, I believe a large number of existing CA95/CA65 owners will be keen to negotiate trade-in terms with their Kawai dealer when the new CA97/CA67 instruments start shipping next month.

Bear in mind that the existing CA95/CA65 instruments were already very competitive with the latest models from other manufacturers. So with new piano sounds, an even better keyboard action, and various other upgraded features and improvements, I believe the CA97/CA67 raise the bar considerably, further reinforcing Kawai's position as market leaders.

As always, thank you for your valuable feedback, <EDIT> lolatu.

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
Originally Posted by Peter B
As regards Grand Feel and Grand Feel II, I wonder why this article on Kawai's internet pages

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/articles/2014/mmr-MPseriesPR.html

states that "MP11 features the acclaimed GFII wooden-key action" while the dedicated Kawai MP pages states that MP11 has the Grand Feel action (i.e. no II).

Maybe James can shed some light on this?

This appears to be a typo. I will ask my colleagues at Kawai America to correct this point (after they return from NAMM).

Thank you for bringing this error to my attention.

Originally Posted by Peter B
For info I have both an MP11 and a VPC1 and like both but prefer the touch on MP11.

Interesting. Some prefer the MP11, others prefer the VPC1. I wonder if the new GFII action on the CA97/CA67 will split the difference?

Cheers,
James
x

P
P
Thanks James - "makes sense" if it is a typo.

As regards one's preference on touch (e.g. MP11 vs VPC1 which are both great actions) I believe it depends to a large extent on which (acoustic) piano action one is used to. And as the case is with different pianos, the player adapts relatively quickly to the action at hand and the immediate impression of particular differences in an action may wear off - unless the action is really bad. But of course that shouldn't hold back Kawai or other brands to continuously improve the action.

R
rpw Offline
R
How will the new models ship (assembled/disassembled)?

Online Content
Originally Posted by rpw
How will the new models ship (assembled/disassembled)?

rpw, as with previous generation models, the CA97 will ship as single, pre-built instrument from the factory, while the CA67 will require assembly. Some dealers may assemble the CA6x at their store, others will assemble at the customer's home.

Kind regards,
James
x

P
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James

x

Thanks, your document and Lolatu's (commented) list are a great source.

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I shall be very interested to try these when they arrive at the European dealers.

A question about the counterweighting: does it bring the up and down weights near to those of a Kawai acoustic grand?

Steinway A grand (1919), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wow these seem like killer pianos! Sampling for beautiful sound and modeling for resonances, one of the best grand piano like wooden key action with longer pivot point improved even more, new samples from Shigeru! I have GAS smile That's the spirit Kawai!

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Congrats to Kawai for the good job. Hope it will work fine. Three different pianos is just amazing. Good move!
I'm glad to see some presets in the VT too, I've always thought that is up to the manufacturer to test and deliver best settings combinations. It frees the player from doing that work.
New registration features are great, also, same for voicing capabilities per key.
Trying to improve such a nice keybed shows you are looking for excelece, wich is fine.
I'd like to play one. When playing CA65 on heaphones, I liked Upright sound the most. If Shigerus are what they're supposed to be, wow.
Listenig to the official video in youtube, though, doesn't say much with regards to this. The player wasn't inspired, and there's too much talk and little music. Was it recorded in a rush?
But based on the short time when he plays SK5...it has 'that' same signature I find strange through headphones. I'm sure it will sound much better on speakers and a large room. SK's are wonderful instruments with a beautiful singing voice.

Hope some of CA's software features were in the ES line, too.
I wish you the best for this new products.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Online Content
Originally Posted by MRC
A question about the counterweighting: does it bring the up and down weights near to those of a Kawai acoustic grand?

I'm afraid I don't know.

However, I gather that the hammer shape refinements (and possibly graded counterweights?) have brought dynamic weighting closer to that of the reference Kawai grand.

Kind regards,
James
x

Online Content
CyberGene, for the purpose of clarity, I need to correct you on this point:

Originally Posted by CyberGene
...longer pivot point improved even more...

The GFII and GF actions both share the same key length and key pivot length.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission