2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 40 of 80 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 79 80
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Okay, thanks.

I oversee the MP and VPC facebook pages, so that's probably why I cannot view Lennert's MP7 group...

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
J
As of 22 January 2015, KAWAI has now released v1.10 software updates for both the MP7 and MP11.

A big thanks to Kawai, and also to James of Kawai for posting the news on this site.

1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano
No problem. wink

We hoped to have it online for Christmas, but unfortunately the release was postponed.

Cheers,
James
x

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
A stable release is preferable, if there is some waiting necessary for less hassles, that is OK for me.

J
J
Hi Sean, apparently my MP7 might arrive at Zenith by the end of next week 29 or 30 Jan 2015...fingers crossed. Have you seen that KAWAI have released v1.10 today? I've already downloaded it in advance and will do the update from v1.05 to v1.10 before I leave Zenith once I buy my MP7. I will also offer to show them how to do it, as all their stock will be v1.05, so it may be a positive selling point if they can update the new ones to v1.10 if their customers need help with that. Regards, Alan

1993 Roland JV1000 76 note workstation synth with Pop and VE-GS1 expansion boards ] 1994 Roland JV1080 Multi-timbral sound module ] 1994 Roland KR4500 Intelligent Piano ] 2008 Korg MicroX sound module ] 2015 Kawai MP7 Digital Stage Piano
J
J
Hello One Watt,

I recently made some technical enquiries via Kawai Australia who liaised with Kawai Japan, regarding the use of expression pedals with the Kawai MP7. I have a Roland EV-5 expression pedal. Kawai says that this pedal should NOT be used with the MP7. The wiring of the tip/ring on the pedal's jack plug is opposite to that on the MP7's EXP pedal input. Although the MP7 has a menu function that can "reverse" the polarity, this cannot overcome the fact that the Roland pedal is hard-wired the opposite.

3 other pedals were recommended by Kawai. I note you say you have an M-Audio expression pedal. If it is the one with the polarity switch (M-Audio EX-P), that should be ok according to what I was told.

Our investigations also led us to verify that ONLY the supplied F10-H damper pedal should be connected to the MP7's "Damper" input. If you want to connect another brand, or generic pedal, you have to connect it to the "Soft.SW" input and alter the control setting accordingly so that it controls sustenuto. But as James correctly states, if you are not sure, check with your local dealer etc. I hope this is of some help.

L
L
Hi Kawai James,

Sellvia pretty much answered your question about the Facebook Group for km6 exchange. You should be able to join though. I made it public.

The update is amazing! Specifically this one:

The 'Volume' EDIT menu parameter has been replaced with a new [C]MasterVol. parameter, allowing total SETUP volume to be easily adjusted, with a pop-up indicating zone/section volumes when changed. In addition, the MP7 also displays a summary of the current SETUP, including each zone's patchname, volume, and the SW1/SW2 assignments.

It's something I didn't really think of, but will be indispensable from now on.

Thanks!
Lennert

Kawai MP5 & MP7; Nord Electro 5D 73sw; Roland VK8 & AX-Synth & FR1
Kawai MP7 setup exchange: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KawaiMP7/
Hey Alan, just did the update this afternoon. All went well at this end. Good to hear your MP7 should be arriving soon!

Kawai MP7 | Korg M3-73 | Studiologic Numa Organ 2 | Moog Voyager EB | Studio Electronics Boomstar SEM
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lophiomys
A stable release is preferable, if there is some waiting necessary for less hassles, that is OK for me.

Toward that end, does anyone know of any reason that one couldn't simply "downgrade" back to version 1.05 if they decided that issues with version 1.10 were troublesome? If so, then upgrading is a low stakes decision. If not, then waiting for potential bugs to shake out is typically a wise choice if you're not currently having issues to be fixed by upgrade.

Is going backwards in firmware on the MP7 possible?

Last edited by OneWatt; 01/23/15 07:00 AM.
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Just Alan
Hello One Watt,

I recently made some technical enquiries via Kawai Australia who liaised with Kawai Japan, regarding the use of expression pedals with the Kawai MP7. I have a Roland EV-5 expression pedal. Kawai says that this pedal should NOT be used with the MP7. The wiring of the tip/ring on the pedal's jack plug is opposite to that on the MP7's EXP pedal input. Although the MP7 has a menu function that can "reverse" the polarity, this cannot overcome the fact that the Roland pedal is hard-wired the opposite.

3 other pedals were recommended by Kawai. I note you say you have an M-Audio expression pedal. If it is the one with the polarity switch (M-Audio EX-P), that should be ok according to what I was told.

Our investigations also led us to verify that ONLY the supplied F10-H damper pedal should be connected to the MP7's "Damper" input. If you want to connect another brand, or genf2feric pedal, you have to connect it to the "Soft.SW" input and alter the control setting accordingly so that it controls sustenuto. But as James correctly states, if you are not sure, check with your local dealer etc. I hope this is of some help.

@Just Alan - many thanks, this is very interesting info indeed! Will report back if I learn anything that might be useful to others. Cheers, One Watt

Last edited by OneWatt; 01/23/15 07:09 AM.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Yes, downgrading the FW is possible. I just did that several times with different versions of Beta FW.

There *might* be side effects concerning backups stored on USB from newer versions, which might not be read correctly by older versions of the FW. E.g. if a newer version stores some new parameters in the backup or uses a different format, which the older FW could possibly not be able to process. I have not tested this aspect.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
After the release of the new CA-67 and CA-69 with the freshly sampled SK-5 and SK-EX,
this question is nagging me:

Would it be possible to get the new piano samples of the CA-67 for the MP7,
either by a software update or by a new main-sound-board?

Or could we expect an upgrade MP7 MK II, which MP7 owners could trade-in for, in the near future?

I'd be ready pay for such an upgrade ...
... given the new samples are softer to the ear than the existing EX sample, in reference to Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro or Adam AX monitor speakers.

There *might* be side effects concerning backups stored on USB from newer versions, which might not be read correctly by older versions of the FW. E.g. if a newer version stores some new parameters in the backup or uses a different format, which the older FW could possibly not be able to process.

lophiomys, that's a good point.

I believe there is an unwritten 'rule' for MP software updates to ensure that backups remain compatible regardless of the OS they are loaded/saved from.

There was a case recently where a user requested a particular change. It was technically possible, and I gather even implemented in a beta version. However, the change was unfortunately later scrapped as it require changes to the AllBackup fileformat, which could cause problems when loading onto an MP with an old OS.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by OneWatt
Is going backwards in firmware on the MP7 possible?

Yes. As it happens, this same query was raised by IMOL in the MP11/MP7 update thread:

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by IMOL
It's strange, but I would like to know if you can come back
1.10 to 1.05 version

Yes, the previous software updates are kept online - just change the URL accordingly, for example: http://www.kawai-global.com/data/updates/mp7_v105.zip

Cheers,
James
x

Would it be possible to get the new piano samples of the CA-67 for the MP7, either by a software update or by a new main-sound-board?

I'm not sure this would be technically possible without expanding the sample memory of the MP. Moreover R&D are busy working on other instruments - I doubt they will return to the MP series for a few years.

Kind regards,
James
x

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Bummer. Though, I'd not have expected that there would be much R&D necessary for such a task.
Either a SW upgrade, while juggling for space in the existing sample memory (the complete second bank of piano sounds could be discarded on the MP7 IMHO), or to solder a memory chip with more capacity on an existing soundboard layout.

S
S
I don't know what all u guys want from the mp7. Next you will want wings so it can fly. You bought a stage piano, play it. It is not a sampler, has no sample ram nor other expandability, u knew this when u bought it.

If u want a board to really mass around with then look out for a 2nd hand GEM SK760, that will do everything and more and its 15 years old.

MP7 === PLAY IT ++ YOUR TECHIE BRAINS ARE STRETCHED +++ JUST PLAY IT, IF YOU CAN++++

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Sinclairgsport,
I do not want a sampler, I do not want to expand, I am just after a more pleasant piano sound inside the MP7. Nothing specifically techie. Since the MP7 is not even one year old, and new piano samples just have been released by Kawai for the CA-67/97, superseding the existing unfortunate EX sample, it would be a smart move to offer an upgrade to existing MP7 and MP11 customers.

BTW, me disliking fixed wings, you can rest assured, that the MP7 will be save. The flying I already do with helicopters. smile

S
S
Just play it, no one will notice the difference in the audience and any sound
is only as good as a) the effects and b) the amplification speaker quality.

MP7 JUST PLAY IT HURRAY

J
J
Thanks Sean, I've been reading the discussions on this forum about the v1.10 software update. It seems that there are some very advanced users who have come up with a few problems, and who are thinking of going back to v1.05. I understood that v1.10 was a stable tested release, not a beta, and it certainly seems to have some great upgrades, but I think I will be a bit cautious about upgrading to v1.10 once I get my MP7, at least until I see some answers to some of the concerns.

It seems that there are far less likely to be any issues on an MP7 that was new with v1.05 and on which none of the parameters and settings have been altered, at the time you upgrade to v1.10. Glad to hear yours is working ok.

I'm also starting to read a few people are hoping that the MP7 will be upgraded with the new piano samples from the CA series, but James of Kawai says that won't be happening to the MP series. I personally thought the painos on the MP7 were fine just as they are.

I trust you are enjoying yours, and it is doing everything that you expected of it. Hopefully I'll have mine soon.

Originally Posted by Stellvia
Hey Alan, just did the update this afternoon. All went well at this end. Good to hear your MP7 should be arriving soon!

Page 40 of 80 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission