Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
124 registered members (Balezin Dmitry, amad23, Animisha, akc42, anotherscott, Artur Gajewski, 15shoes, akressevich, 33 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth #2376038
01/20/15 09:32 PM
01/20/15 09:32 PM
Colorado
A
Anita Potter Offline OP
Anita Potter  Offline OP
A

Colorado
I don't know if such a thing exists or not but here's what I'm looking for.

A DP with weighted/hammer action and the ability to incorporate synth sounds to either via USB, midi, etc. I was thinking about getting two different ones but was messaged by someone that one could probably do both. I'm not even sure where to look or what brand. I'd like to stay in the Yamaha family but that's not necessarily a requirement for me and I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I don't just play classical I'm interested in making my own music as well. I'm not sure what other specifics I'd need to give you since knowing what I actually want now changed from what I thought I wanted a few weeks ago.

Thanks smile

Last edited by Anita Potter; 01/20/15 09:32 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376040
01/20/15 09:43 PM
01/20/15 09:43 PM
Chicago, Illinois
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
How much do you want to spend?

You could get a Yamaha MOTIF XF8 or MOXF8, Roland FA-08, or Casio PS-5X, ranging from $3,600 to $1,000.

But pretty much any good digital piano can be used as an external controller, if that's what you want to do.

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376048
01/20/15 10:15 PM
01/20/15 10:15 PM
Colorado
A
Anita Potter Offline OP
Anita Potter  Offline OP
A

Colorado
That's the thing with the money as I have to save up to get what I want/need. Somewhere around $1,000 is the most doable within a year for me which isn't much considering what I'm looking for might be out of my price range. Which leaves those Yamaha's and Roland out and the Casio doesn't have inputs or outputs which I'm pretty sure I'm probably going to need so that one's out as well.

I want to be able to give it more voices than what it would initially come with by plugging something into it (USB stick, laptop with a DAW) to add more to it.

The one I was looking at was the Yamaha P35 and I just don't know how that would work. Plug sounds into it and I would be able to play that tone on that keyboard. I'm probably not explaining it right and all the tech stuff does go over my head since this is new territory for me.

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376052
01/20/15 10:38 PM
01/20/15 10:38 PM
A
anotherscott Online content
4000 Post Club Member
anotherscott  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by Anita Potter
Casio doesn't have inputs or outputs which I'm pretty sure I'm probably going to need so that one's out as well.

What kind of inputs and outputs are you talking about? Just trying to get a handle on what you're trying to do, that you think it might not handle...

I want to be able to give it more voices than what it would initially come with by plugging something into it (USB stick, laptop with a DAW) to add more to it.

Any DP with a MIDI jack or a USB port--basically, any model sold today--can trigger additional sounds (synth and otherwise... even other piano sounds) located in an external device.

The one I was looking at was the Yamaha P35 and I just don't know how that would work. Plug sounds into it and I would be able to play that tone on that keyboard.

P35 will work. You don't "plug sounds into it" -- rather, the sounds are in some other device (i.e. your computer or an iPad), and you use the P35 to play the sounds that are present on that device.

However, you do have to have a way to hear those external sounds. That could be headphones, or external speakers, or in the case of some DPs, you can feed the audio back into the piano to hear it through the piano's own speakers.

(ad) SWEETWATER
Sweetwater 1000s of deals on Gear
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376061
01/20/15 10:56 PM
01/20/15 10:56 PM
Colorado
A
Anita Potter Offline OP
Anita Potter  Offline OP
A

Colorado
Actually thinking I was looking at the wrong Casio keyboard which is what I get when I try to do things about an hour before I leave for work. I think it was supposed to be the Casio Priva PX-5S that David was talking about. What I clicked on when I searched that was a different one something 160 but no big deal.

Thanks Scott that clears that up a lot for me. And just so I've got this all straight, in order for me to hear the sound from the external sound device I would need speakers or some way to feed it back through the instrument. I'll probably just go for the speakers but still makes me wonder why it wouldn't go through the instruments speakers to begin with.

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376063
01/20/15 11:04 PM
01/20/15 11:04 PM
Chicago, Illinois
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Sorry, that was a typo. Yes, PX-5S.

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376065
01/20/15 11:09 PM
01/20/15 11:09 PM
M
MossySF Offline
MossySF  Offline
M

Thanks Scott that clears that up a lot for me. And just so I've got this all straight, in order for me to hear the sound from the external sound device I would need speakers or some way to feed it back through the instrument. I'll probably just go for the speakers but still makes me wonder why it wouldn't go through the instruments speakers to begin with.

You'd need a DP with line-in then.

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376069
01/20/15 11:19 PM
01/20/15 11:19 PM
Northern NJ
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member
dewster  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Northern NJ
Is this piano & synth going to be used for serious recording? If that is the case then you should probably be looking at PC/MAC software for the sounds. You would need a PC/MAC for recording anyway.

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376118
01/21/15 02:52 AM
01/21/15 02:52 AM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Forgive me for saying this:

. . . It's a fair distance between Alfred's Book One,
. . . and needing more sounds than you can get on a PX-5S.

If you'll be saving money for a while, and this is a deferred purchase:

. . . learn to play keyboard better,
. . . learn about the technology,
. . . find out what you want to do,
. . . figure out what you need to do it,

and _then_ think about what box in the store fits your needs and budget.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376131
01/21/15 04:32 AM
01/21/15 04:32 AM
UK
A
Alexander Borro Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Alexander Borro  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

UK
What keyboard is that you own already ? If you are saving but you want to learn a bit in the mean time to have fun with and you already have a PC/Mac in the house, some headphones and a USB cable in all likely hood you don't have to spend anything or very little on some software to have some fun with to produce other sounds and record them and get started.

There are plenty synths around, even some free ones with decent reviews I gather, though I've not tried them. You need to read/learn about virtual instruments (VSTs). A DAW which will be needed to run most of these virtual instruments to record, that can be done with software can be got on a trial basis (free) such as reaper for example ( reaper is not user friendly though for beginners ). Something like Mixcraft for the PC is ideal for beginners and very easy to use and install/configure, and it is only $ 40 - 50 or so, or garage band on the Mac I gather.

Mixcraft comes bundled with loads of synths and other instrument sounds already in the box in one purchase, a lot are sort of cheap toy sounds, but there are some fun ones in there to keep you busy and produce some cool sounds already.

As said you need to do some reading on how the tech works and what you need to set it up.

Have fun smile

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 01/21/15 04:33 AM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Charles Cohen] #2376159
01/21/15 08:09 AM
01/21/15 08:09 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Forgive me for saying this:

. . . It's a fair distance between Alfred's Book One,
. . . and needing more sounds than you can get on a PX-5S.

If you'll be saving money for a while, and this is a deferred purchase:

. . . learn to play keyboard better,
. . . learn about the technology,
. . . find out what you want to do,
. . . figure out what you need to do it,

and _then_ think about what box in the store fits your needs and budget.

. Charles

I agree. I get what you're saying because I've been there. But I think you will better be able to choose a more suitable instrument for your needs once you understand your needs better.

I do think that perhaps if you have a DP already that you are using, that would be sufficient to get you started. Most DPs these days have USB MIDI capability. If yours does not, it should have MIDI capability at least, for which you can purchase an inexpensive MIDI to USB interface. If you let us know what you currently have we can suggest what equipment you would need.

You may want to explore forums such as homerecording.com for information on how to use MIDI and VSTs (virtual synth sounds) with any MIDI compatible DP/keyboard.

It's great to be eager to get started, but a little info will go a long ways toward making sure you get the right equipment for what you want to do! smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376166
01/21/15 08:22 AM
01/21/15 08:22 AM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

And just so I've got this all straight, in order for me to hear the sound from the external sound device I would need speakers or some way to feed it back through the instrument. I'll probably just go for the speakers but still makes me wonder why it wouldn't go through the instruments speakers to begin with.

As mentioned, the sounds reside in the other device, you are merely triggering them from the P35 (or whatever board you buy). Let's assume the other device is a computer. If you've ever listened to ANY sound in your computer (an MP3, a youtube video, whatever), obviously you know that the sound comes out of the computer itself (at a low volume), or you can attach headphones or speakers. A computer program that creates synthesizer sounds is no different. The MIDI cable from your P35 to your computer allows your playing to tell the computer what notes to play, but it is still the computer making the sound, not the P35, so there is no reason to expect the sound to come out of the P35's speakers any more than you would expect to hear a youtube video come out of its speakers. The only way to get that sound to come out your instrument's own speakers would be to run an audio cable from your computer back into the instrument... this feature requires two things: that your instrument have speakers to begin with (the mentioned PX5S does not), and that the instrument have an audio line input (P35 does not). If you decide you'd like this feature, there are not a lot of pianos in your price range to choose from. The only ones I can think of off-hand are the Yamaha DGX-650 and Casio PX-350... both of which also happen to have a pretty wide range of non-piano sounds built into them to begin with, so you may not even need to bother connecting to the computer or other sound generating device to begin with. Of those two, I'd say the Casio has the better action and it's more portable if that matters to you, while I'd say the Yamaha has better sound and more features. (Oh, there's also the PX-780, which appears to basically be a PX-350 in a nicer housing.)

If you don't need speakers built into your piano, then the 88s under $1000 are the Casio PX5S, Korg Kross, and Kurzweil SP4-8. (Well, there's still also the old Yamaha MM8, but there's not much reason to look at that one anymore.) Pros and cons of these are a whole other topic. Since you're on a tight budget, and you'd have to add speakers at additional cost to these besides (or stick with headphones), I don't know if you really want to look up in this range.

If you are fine with your extra sounds coming from a computer, and you're okay with buying separate speakers (or using headphones), the best low cost options are that Yamaha P35 or the Casio PX150, and I'd lean toward the Casio which I think has the better action. The Yamaha may have better sound/speakers (subjective), but it wouldn't really matter if you're going to connect a computer and other speakers anyway. (The computer can also be used to get a better piano sound, as well as getting whatever other sounds you want.)

Of course, your own ears and fingers should be your guide, but as I see it, your best choices are PX150 if you are primarily going to be using it with a computer, or DGX650 if you prefer to primarily stay self-contained.

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376173
01/21/15 08:59 AM
01/21/15 08:59 AM
L
login Offline
login  Offline
L

I would add to the excelent advice of anotherscott that if you wanna use synth sounds a Modwheel and pitch wheel are very usefull, so the PX5S is probably the best option.

The other options would be the Roland RD64, or the A88(which is only a controller without sounds).

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376183
01/21/15 09:36 AM
01/21/15 09:36 AM
Colorado
A
Anita Potter Offline OP
Anita Potter  Offline OP
A

Colorado
All of this is just making me go back to my original idea of getting two DPs instead of one that does both.

Yes the idea for the combo with other voices was to do some recording but not just piano music but ambient backgrounds and melodies that need a different voice all together. Right now I have a Yamaha PSR-160 it has a midi I/O and no other input aside from headphones. I was originally looking at the Yamaha YPG-535 a few weeks ago and was told it didn't have the hammer action that an acoustic does (though it does have touch sensitive keys and I tested it). So now I'm wondering if that first choice of mine is actually what I need and to stop worrying about all of this other stuff.

Play keyboard better? Working on it :p slowly and yes this is for a purchase that's down the road. I'm not going to be a grand concert pianist just an at home musician for now that will be recording things in the future.

I've tried reading various sites on midi's and reading through them is like trying to read a newspaper through peanut butter. It just doesn't make any sense to me I'm not that tech savvy when it comes to doing things like this and I know I'm not going to dive in and grab a set of speakers, a laptop and some software without researching it first. Which is why I came in here asking if one could do the work of both. I see that it can but requires a lot of set up and accessories that I don't know a lot about.

Definitely lots more to think about that's for sure.

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376184
01/21/15 09:46 AM
01/21/15 09:46 AM
Chicago, Illinois
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
I had a YPG-535 for a while. It was ok for starters, but the action is really weird and un-piano-like compared to any of Yamaha's graded hammer actions. How about the DGX-650? That's Yamaha's latest and greatest in the YPG/DGX line and it has GHS action and lots of extras.

I have to say for all its faults, my YPG-535 held up very well. I bought it used, played it for a couple years, and then gave it to my Dad. Still played fine (within its limitations) when I was home at Christmas. The action is really weird, though. There's a huge difference in pressure required to get the same level from the white notes and the black notes. Some people here talk about needing to "play in the keys" and that action would be a nightmare for them.

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376186
01/21/15 09:53 AM
01/21/15 09:53 AM
L
login Offline
login  Offline
L

If the yamaha has USB MIDI out then you can connect it to the computer right now download some demos of virtual instruments and try them.

Some virtual instruments that have demos and work "standalone" (without a DAW or other kind of virtual instrument host):

- Native instruments Kontakt Player.- This is a free version of Kontakt and you can download a small set of instruments (Kontakt facotry library).
- Native instruments Synths: Massive, Absynth, FM8: This one have 20 minutes working demos, they are superb synths, very powerfull.
- Pianoteq.- A virtual piano.

You can install this and after connecting your PSR t the computer just select i'ts MIDI port in the virtual instruments preferences.

Anyway I seriously think the PX5S is the one that feeds your needs, specially since it has a synth inside, a pretty good one for a digital Piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGAX-rHXvSE

Last edited by login; 01/21/15 09:53 AM.
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376194
01/21/15 10:16 AM
01/21/15 10:16 AM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

Login makes a good point about the mod and pitch wheels. Then you're back up in the $1000 price range (plus speakers), with the PX5S, Kross, or SP4-8. In the OP, you mentioned originally considering getting two boards, and especially if your budget is getting up that high anyway, that route is also worth considering. Many people prefer to play synth sounds from nonweighted actions, too. Low cost synth boards include Korg Triton Taktile 49, Yamaha MX 49, Casio XW-P1. Or if you'll be triggering computer-based sounds, a soundless controller can work too. The Samson Graphite 49 is a nice feeling pretty full featured low cost board, for example. A little gotcha... if you want to be able to play the sounds in one of your boards from the keys of the other, without a computer, you want both boards to have standard 5-pin MIDI connections, not USB (or not only USB). Some of the boards mentioned have them, some don't.

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376196
01/21/15 10:21 AM
01/21/15 10:21 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
You can connect your Yamaha PSR-160 to a computer and experiment with high quality pianos such as Pianoteq (which you can download and try for free) and others that people have mentioned above, but you will need the MIDI - USB converter cable, such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Inte...mp;sr=8-11&keywords=usb+-+midi+cable

..., which will probably work OK, or a more reputable one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-UM-ONE...;sr=8-2&keywords=usb+-+midi+cable+um

Last edited by toddy; 01/21/15 10:23 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: login] #2376200
01/21/15 10:27 AM
01/21/15 10:27 AM
A
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A

Originally Posted by login
If the yamaha has USB MIDI out then you can connect it to the computer right now download some demos of virtual instruments and try them.

That will work even if the Yamaha does not have USB, you just have to buy a MIDI interface, like a Roland UM-ONE or iConnectivity mio. Lots of people even have good luck with the $5 unbranded generic ones you can find on amazon or ebay.

Re: Hunting for a DP that can also work as a synth [Re: Anita Potter] #2376206
01/21/15 10:45 AM
01/21/15 10:45 AM
Colorado
A
Anita Potter Offline OP
Anita Potter  Offline OP
A

Colorado
@David I was afraid of that dang. I need something that's going to last for more than a few years. If the action gets weird after a time wouldn't be worth the money to get one and have it stick around for 10 years and still be playable.

@login I bought this keyboard at a thrift store so no midi cables at all and the audio's busted on my computer too so yeah I just have all the best stuff don't I? :p

Watching the demo for the PX5S right now just by that I'm pretty well sold but I will go and test one out myself. I'll have to bring my headphone with me since the keyboard area at Guitar Center is right next to the drum section. I want to be able to hear me and not the guy drumming in the next room. It looks like it will need speakers which is fine I have no problem with getting speakers afterwards.

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Time for first tuning?
by mackguy. 01/17/19 12:47 PM
Chickering Manufactured by Baldwin Mid 1990's
by Leslie C. 01/17/19 12:40 PM
Kawai CA63
by Bibster. 01/17/19 12:19 PM
Supplementing Faber Adult AIO Book 1?
by pianotimo. 01/17/19 09:54 AM
Pianoteq 6.4 - revoiced Steinway D, B and K2
by Groove On. 01/17/19 09:03 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,624
Posts2,782,805
Members92,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission