2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
32 members (BachToTheFuture, clothearednincompo, Burkey, GreatShowmanChopin, Greta99, gwing, Gustavo Guerra, 8 invisible), 357 guests, and 400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Easy Chopin Nocturne
#2374207 01/16/15 09:34 AM
johan d Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Does it exist, or do I have to wait? 1 short piece... I am just entering my 2nd year of piano playing. I love this!
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2005/Jan05/Chopin_Hewitt.htm

Last edited by johan d; 01/16/15 09:51 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Easy Chopin Nocturne
johan d #2374221 01/16/15 10:10 AM
A
A
The easiest one is posthumous C sharp minor. . Then c minor posthumous. After that the E flat major 9/2 I can almost play the b flat minor. Buts it's harder especially the left hand accompaniment in the middle section.

E minor and A major preludes aren't that hard and E major is lovely but not easy if you have small hands.
Posthumous a minor waltz is lovely and achievable too.

Anyone who is around grade 4/5 ABRSM standard could attempt these although might take a few years before they are perfect.

Last edited by ALEXANDER DYKER; 01/16/15 10:11 AM.

Sandy
ALEXANDER DYKER #2374274 01/16/15 11:50 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here is a listing of ratings from Chopin Nocturnes from Piano Syllabus. They have collected the ratings from ABRSM, RCM. AMEB, and other testing systems. None of them are easy. Most are ABRSM 8 and above.

http://www.pianosyllabus.com/default.php

Just enter:
Chopin
Nocturne

and you will get the list.

johan d #2374317 01/16/15 01:46 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Ya "easy" and "Chopin" just don't go together in a sentence. However, that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. Give your favorite Nocturne a go and see how it feels. Just expect that you may need to set it aside for a while and return to it later after you've developed more skills.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
johan d #2374321 01/16/15 01:51 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Johan: number 19 (opus 72/1) is currently part of my memorized repertoire. I started learning it almost exactly a year ago. At that point, I'd had eighteen months of lessons (but I was not a complete beginner: I started those lessons being able to play Mozart minuets, and other stuff on that level). It took me a solid six months to get the Nocturne polished to the point of being able to play it in front of an audience. At least a third of that time, I spent breaking my teeth on three measures, two of which are still a little shaky even now, a year after I started learning the piece. Take a look at the score, and I think you'll be able to spot them.

My point is, though: it can be done. You just have to be patient, willing to dig in really deep, supremely stubborn, and ultimately able to derive satisfaction even from a performance that may not be exactly sublime.

Saranoya #2374363 01/16/15 03:07 PM
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Saranoya
Johan: number 19 (opus 72/1) is currently part of my memorized repertoire. I started learning it almost exactly a year ago. At that point, I'd had eighteen months of lessons (but I was not a complete beginner: I started those lessons being able to play Mozart minuets, and other stuff on that level). It took me a solid six months to get the Nocturne polished to the point of being able to play it in front of an audience. At least a third of that time, I spent breaking my teeth on three measures, two of which are still a little shaky even now, a year after I started learning the piece. Take a look at the score, and I think you'll be able to spot them.

I also started that one after maybe 1,5 years of lessons. I never managed to memorize the 2nd page for some reason and that frustrated me because I actually learned to play the 3rd page quite well. But because of my problems with RH octaves and chords on the 4th page I finally gave it up for easier pieces. Worth to try, it's really lovely.

johan d #2374533 01/16/15 11:42 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Playing a Chopin Nocturne is one of my most cherished goals.

I started playing and learned most of Opus 9 No 1 but had to set it aside eventually. After three years of playing now, it's about time to go back and see if I can pick it up again and dig into the hard parts (which I had to skip before).

I think it's a good idea to try to tackle a piece that you love even if it is well beyond your level. Just plan on it taking years, I guess.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
johan d #2374579 01/17/15 02:39 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The first Chopin Nocturne I studied was the Op. 15 No. 3 one in G Minor. There is a lot of contrast with it, including a chorale section, immediately after which one can hear trumpets and trombones blast in the distance through the mists of Valhalla. Measures 51 through 79 probably would be the most challenging, or even problematic, for you, yet for that reason it may be so much more rewarding at the end if one can triumph over those challenges.

johan d #2374619 01/17/15 09:18 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I put a good bit of work into the C Minor posthumous Nocturne last year (chosen precisely because it's widely considered to be the easiest). It's definitely not easy for me, but it was really enjoyable to work on.
I set it aside mostly to focus on the Schumann recital pieces, but I definitely plan to relearn it this year and get it to a better level than I did first time through.

As context, I started working on this after being back at the piano about a year (but with 4 years as a teenager as well).

[Linked Image]
barbaram #2374628 01/17/15 09:53 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The first Nocturne I was assigned by my teacher as a returning adult was the E minor (72-1). I had been back at the piano about a year after a 40 year break. I never played it well, but hope to revive it in the near future. My 2nd one was the Eb major (9-2), followed by the B major (32-1). then I had a couple of years break from piano when we moved to Switzerland, but I never lost my love for Chopin. So when I start lessons again, I revived the Eb major, and then played the F minor (55-1), and now I am working on the C# minor post humus. I hope I am playing them progressively better, but none of them have been easy.

That said, I am glad my teacher introduced me to nocturnes when I returned to piano back in 2006. He knew it was beyond my reach to play a Chopin nocturne well, but he was crafty, and knew that if he hooked me with the beauty of these pieces I would practice like mad to learn them! And I did! It felt like a real accomplishment to learn one of these pieces. So, yes, they are difficult, but if you love them go for it. You won't regret it!

johan d #2374666 01/17/15 12:29 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Something worth looking at are John Field's Nocturnes. They have a different sensibility than those of Chopin, and tend to be easier while being no less exquisite, in my opinion.

johan d #2374672 01/17/15 12:59 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
There are some simplified versions floating about which can be nice to attempt in method books. My first bit of Chopin I am having a serious go at now for a month or so on and off came in book 3 by Carroll Barratt. The half a page one which I absolutely adore. Op 28 No 7.

The full version would be very tough for me to attempt at this stage but this one is a simplification, and not in the original key either, but in F major. Given that notes are omitted and it is a simplified arrangement it will not sound as nice and rich as the original of course, but still very nice IMO. I can now play it through, well at a level enough to impress the missus and a couple of friends anyway, what more can I expect after 8 months. smile

I am mainly working in book 2 of that series right now, but couldn't help having a crack at this one in book 3 as sometimes I do jump ahead and have a crack something harder to try.

The other book I have is "The library of Easy piano favourites" that you could have a look at with simplified versions of Chopin, it has a nice version of OP 28 No 4 for example, this still a lot of a struggle for me to play through without lots of stutters and stops, but not attempted it seriously day after day.

edit: granted, what I refer they are not nocturnes but it is Chopin all the same, being able to attempt anything Chopin is cool at this stage.

Last edited by Alexander Borro; 01/17/15 01:02 PM.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Alexander Borro #2374721 01/17/15 03:16 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
After returning to the piano after more than 45 years, I am presently working on the Chopin Nocturne in C minor posthumous because I felt it was the easiest although there is no such thing as an easy Chopin nocturne. I was back taking lessons for 3 years before my teacher suggested a nocturne. He actually recommended the C sharp minor posthumous but that one seemed harder to me so we agreed on the C minor one. I was so excited and I still have trouble with parts of it but it is memorized and coming along. I have been working on it for many months. I hope to be able to play it at the recital in May. The nocturnes are so beautiful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
johan d #2375150 01/18/15 05:42 PM
Z
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
There is a selection of Nocturnes that become available around the Intermediate level, most of them mentioned above but also Op. 37/1, an improved version of his Op. 15/3, but the best of Chopin doesn't become available until we have a few years of experience.

It's a sad reality that the music that draws us most strongly to the piano so often requires such a large investment of time and effort in order that we may realise it with the very qualities that attract us in the first place.

What joy, then, to discover the little jewels that give us these skills are just as endearing if we take the time to immerse ourselves long enough to appreciate the aphorism that there's no such thing as an ugly baby.

It might be better while we are still developing to put the higher echelons of piano literature in a similar category to the symphonies and concertos, i.e. great for listening to but realistically unattainable.

Richard
johan d #2375287 01/19/15 03:59 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
The easiest Chopin piece is a Waltz, not a Nocturne as far as I know.. Especially his posthumous waltz in A minor.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,355
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission