2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 1,970 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
D7K Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Ok, list the one thing you've learned here (in any forum) that you think did the most for your piano playing.

For me it was, if you are using a digital piano turn the volume up as far as it will go to help learn dynamic playing. For me this made the difference in playing soft and/or hard with either hand.

I realized that the very loud sound of hitting the keys with the volume turned up became a "shock" and my hands/fingers adjusted very quickly to that "danger".

I play with headphones and thought that I needed to turn down the volume to protect my hearing (and maybe in the first six months that wasn't a bad idea), but I wish I would have done this at the six month stage and not the year and a half stage.

Really this advice was so simple that I thought it couldn't work (who ever posted this I'm sorry I can attribute it too you because I can't find your post). But this is by far the best advice I've gotten here or anywhere else.

Thank you, whoever you are.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A friendly fellow member PM'ed me with a link to what is now my teacher.
The best thing that ever happened to my piano playing smile

All the other things I've learned here (and there are many) will have to fight for a close second.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I think the best thing I've learned is how much people pay attention to detail.

I'm kind of a damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead kind of person.

Taking the time, discipline, and focus to work/pay attention to details has made a huge difference in my musicality.

It's still fun to play piano, tho smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by D7K
Ok, list the one thing you've learned here (in any forum) that you think did the most for your piano playing.

For me it was, if you are using a digital piano turn the volume up as far as it will go to help learn dynamic playing. For me this made the difference in playing soft and/or hard with either hand.

I realized that the very loud sound of hitting the keys with the volume turned up became a "shock" and my hands/fingers adjusted very quickly to that "danger".

I play with headphones and thought that I needed to turn down the volume to protect my hearing (and maybe in the first six months that wasn't a bad idea), but I wish I would have done this at the six month stage and not the year and a half stage.

Really this advice was so simple that I thought it couldn't work (who ever posted this I'm sorry I can attribute it too you because I can't find your post). But this is by far the best advice I've gotten here or anywhere else.

Sounds like: As effective as getting slapped on the fingers by a ruler in the "good old days", by the piano teacher.

Will do some R&B for a while. Give the classical a break.
You can spend the rest of your life looking for music on a sheet of paper. You'll never find it, because it just ain't there. - Me Myself
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I'll be a contrarian and say the lack of advice here has been the most beneficial. I raise the odd question hoping to have a straightforward "this is the route, start at A, go to B and finish at C" type answer. This is never the replies I get, more often than not they are usually "it comes with practice". This has been most helpful as I stop looking for solutions in a book or method and start thinking about my practice regime more.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions laugh
It's maddening, but nonetheless true.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
....when someone mentioned local colleges or community colleges as a place to look for teachers. Actually, I went to the local community college to *ask* for advice about good local teachers, and the answer was, "Look no further." The first teacher I had there was very good; the second one is excellent.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Though not specifically "piano" related, the best thing I have learned on Piano World is how to record myself on the piano. People here pretty much walked me through the process of choosing a recorder, what settings to choose when recording, software questions answered about Audacity, etc, etc, etc. I know very well that I would not have my Zoom H2n and be making recordings of myself were it not for the people on Piano World. Being able to record myself has opened up the possibility of participating in the online recitals. This has been a huge boost to my motivation as well as providing a sense of belonging on PW.

Really, if you are not recording your playing it is so very worthwile to do so. There are posts and threads on the forum that cover just about everything "how to". The recorders these days are not so very expensive. And, if I can learn how to do it, anyone can. I am no techno geek AT ALL!! And yet, I now have a recorder and pretty much standard set up and process for getting myself recorded. It is so much FUN!!!! So, if you are thinking about it, just do it!!! And I really thank the people on PW for helping me.

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Best tip was to slow down, or as Graham Fitch phrases it: slowly, separate, sections. Related to this is to practice in short time windows of 15 to 20 minutes each, and to try and practice every day.

There have also been some good resources that I found through PW such as free online courses on Coursera.org, a free Yale music appreciation course, and a few Youtube tutorials. I also found the book, The Musician's Way through PW. Even though the book is more for university level music students, as a beginner, I still got one or two very valuable bits from the book that have shaped my practice habits, and my performance routine.

These indirect tips include balanced approach to time management, and what I see as several important though common sense tips for performing, such as packing the night before, arriving early, taking a deep breath, rehearsing fall back starting points in the middle of a piece in case of a fault.

Without PW I doubt I would have ever bought a digital piano, instead settling for a low priced keyboard. Participating in the recitals has also helped me.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I think one of the most important things I've learned is that "it isn't just me" -- it really does take a lot time to gain the necessary skills, and I have to be patient with myself. Knowing that others struggle with the baby steps and are impatience with (lack of) progress, really helps me hang in there when I feel I am crawling rather than stepping. It helps me keep my perspective.

(Yes, ok, I still need reminders every now and then!)

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The best thing I have learned is to get a teacher.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Jytte
Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions...
I would prefer to say it comes with experience. Practise should be something deliberate. wink

Like dynamobt, I think the recitals are the best thing. There are several resources on the 'net for increasing the efficiency of our practise but the one I remember most begins with "Listen!" (Dr. Brent Hugh).

There's nothing that lifts our performance or ability more than careful listening and nothing that makes us listen more than making a recording for others.

Richard
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I couldn't limit it to just one thing.
Right now, the top two are:

Do what your teacher tells you.

and

Go ahead and get the best piano you can afford.

Learner
I've learned many things on Piano World, but the most useful thing I've learned hasn't been 'how to do something', it's been learning that piano playing isn't easy, it's hard, and it requires multiple skills. It's been learning that every difficulty I have faced, hasn't been peculiar to me. Everyone else seems to have had the same hurdles to overcome, sometimes in exactly the same places. It's hard to overstate how encouraging that has been! It's an extraordinary motivator, to keep going, and perhaps vary my practice according to the tips I have picked up here.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Posts by zrtf90

F

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by D7K
. . .
. . .

I have given that advice, as have others. You're very welcome, and thank you for the praise.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
I've learned that unlike other facets and pursuits, piano takes an unparalleled commitment. I love measuring my progress annually. However, I'm in awe that my daughter plays for hours daily without prompting. Imagine having to tell a kid, "Enough!" Piano is an art that evolves after years of commitment. I've also learned that my bulldog is partial to Beethoven. Bach makes him anxious.

I may not post often but I read posts faithfully. I've learned a lot from PW and from those who post regularly. You all motivate me!

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
This is an excellent reflection. I've learned many different things ranging from the technical, business, harmonic analysts, playing technique, business, recordings, digital pianos, hybrid pianos, experimental and development pianos, and the list goes on.

For me it's just great to share my love of keyboard music with so many wonderful people.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
There are so many things, it's impossible to say that any one is subtstantially the best.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am not alone in my pursuit.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission