Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
129 registered (alexcawley, 36251, ajames, AdrianR, Almaviva, alwatson, 28 invisible), 1446 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2375058 - 01/18/15 01:09 PM The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
D7K Offline

Ok, list the one thing you've learned here (in any forum) that you think did the most for your piano playing.

For me it was, if you are using a digital piano turn the volume up as far as it will go to help learn dynamic playing. For me this made the difference in playing soft and/or hard with either hand.

I realized that the very loud sound of hitting the keys with the volume turned up became a "shock" and my hands/fingers adjusted very quickly to that "danger".

I play with headphones and thought that I needed to turn down the volume to protect my hearing (and maybe in the first six months that wasn't a bad idea), but I wish I would have done this at the six month stage and not the year and a half stage.

Really this advice was so simple that I thought it couldn't work (who ever posted this I'm sorry I can attribute it too you because I can't find your post). But this is by far the best advice I've gotten here or anywhere else.

Thank you, whoever you are.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2375064 - 01/18/15 01:26 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: presently Germany (Danish)
A friendly fellow member PM'ed me with a link to what is now my teacher.
The best thing that ever happened to my piano playing smile

All the other things I've learned here (and there are many) will have to fight for a close second.

#2375067 - 01/18/15 01:31 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I think the best thing I've learned is how much people pay attention to detail.

I'm kind of a damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead kind of person.

Taking the time, discipline, and focus to work/pay attention to details has made a huge difference in my musicality.

It's still fun to play piano, tho smile

Cathy

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#2375095 - 01/18/15 02:35 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
Originally Posted By: D7K
Ok, list the one thing you've learned here (in any forum) that you think did the most for your piano playing.

For me it was, if you are using a digital piano turn the volume up as far as it will go to help learn dynamic playing. For me this made the difference in playing soft and/or hard with either hand.

I realized that the very loud sound of hitting the keys with the volume turned up became a "shock" and my hands/fingers adjusted very quickly to that "danger".

I play with headphones and thought that I needed to turn down the volume to protect my hearing (and maybe in the first six months that wasn't a bad idea), but I wish I would have done this at the six month stage and not the year and a half stage.

Really this advice was so simple that I thought it couldn't work (who ever posted this I'm sorry I can attribute it too you because I can't find your post). But this is by far the best advice I've gotten here or anywhere else.

Sounds like: As effective as getting slapped on the fingers by a ruler in the "good old days", by the piano teacher.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #72 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2375128 - 01/18/15 03:44 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
earlofmar Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I'll be a contrarian and say the lack of advice here has been the most beneficial. I raise the odd question hoping to have a straightforward "this is the route, start at A, go to B and finish at C" type answer. This is never the replies I get, more often than not they are usually "it comes with practice". This has been most helpful as I stop looking for solutions in a book or method and start thinking about my practice regime more.

13x

#2375131 - 01/18/15 03:53 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions laugh
It's maddening, but nonetheless true.

#2375140 - 01/18/15 04:18 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Stubbie Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
....when someone mentioned local colleges or community colleges as a place to look for teachers. Actually, I went to the local community college to *ask* for advice about good local teachers, and the answer was, "Look no further." The first teacher I had there was very good; the second one is excellent.

#2375146 - 01/18/15 04:36 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Though not specifically "piano" related, the best thing I have learned on Piano World is how to record myself on the piano. People here pretty much walked me through the process of choosing a recorder, what settings to choose when recording, software questions answered about Audacity, etc, etc, etc. I know very well that I would not have my Zoom H2n and be making recordings of myself were it not for the people on Piano World. Being able to record myself has opened up the possibility of participating in the online recitals. This has been a huge boost to my motivation as well as providing a sense of belonging on PW.

Really, if you are not recording your playing it is so very worthwile to do so. There are posts and threads on the forum that cover just about everything "how to". The recorders these days are not so very expensive. And, if I can learn how to do it, anyone can. I am no techno geek AT ALL!! And yet, I now have a recorder and pretty much standard set up and process for getting myself recorded. It is so much FUN!!!! So, if you are thinking about it, just do it!!! And I really thank the people on PW for helping me.

#2375148 - 01/18/15 04:39 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Stubbie]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Best tip was to slow down, or as Graham Fitch phrases it: slowly, separate, sections. Related to this is to practice in short time windows of 15 to 20 minutes each, and to try and practice every day.

There have also been some good resources that I found through PW such as free online courses on Coursera.org, a free Yale music appreciation course, and a few Youtube tutorials. I also found the book, The Musician's Way through PW. Even though the book is more for university level music students, as a beginner, I still got one or two very valuable bits from the book that have shaped my practice habits, and my performance routine.

These indirect tips include balanced approach to time management, and what I see as several important though common sense tips for performing, such as packing the night before, arriving early, taking a deep breath, rehearsing fall back starting points in the middle of a piece in case of a fault.

Without PW I doubt I would have ever bought a digital piano, instead settling for a low priced keyboard. Participating in the recitals has also helped me.

#2375151 - 01/18/15 04:47 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I think one of the most important things I've learned is that "it isn't just me" -- it really does take a lot time to gain the necessary skills, and I have to be patient with myself. Knowing that others struggle with the baby steps and are impatience with (lack of) progress, really helps me hang in there when I feel I am crawling rather than stepping. It helps me keep my perspective.

(Yes, ok, I still need reminders every now and then!)

#2375152 - 01/18/15 04:54 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The best thing I have learned is to get a teacher.

#2375155 - 01/18/15 04:56 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: Jytte
Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions...
I would prefer to say it comes with experience. Practise should be something deliberate. wink

Like dynamobt, I think the recitals are the best thing. There are several resources on the 'net for increasing the efficiency of our practise but the one I remember most begins with "Listen!" (Dr. Brent Hugh).

There's nothing that lifts our performance or ability more than careful listening and nothing that makes us listen more than making a recording for others.

#2375195 - 01/18/15 06:45 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
malkin Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I couldn't limit it to just one thing.
Right now, the top two are:

Do what your teacher tells you.

and

Go ahead and get the best piano you can afford.

#2375205 - 01/18/15 07:04 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Alex MacPhee Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I've learned many things on Piano World, but the most useful thing I've learned hasn't been 'how to do something', it's been learning that piano playing isn't easy, it's hard, and it requires multiple skills. It's been learning that every difficulty I have faced, hasn't been peculiar to me. Everyone else seems to have had the same hurdles to overcome, sometimes in exactly the same places. It's hard to overstate how encouraging that has been! It's an extraordinary motivator, to keep going, and perhaps vary my practice according to the tips I have picked up here.

#2375249 - 01/18/15 09:56 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Forrest Halford Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Posts by zrtf90

F

#2375258 - 01/18/15 10:53 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Charles Cohen Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: D7K
. . .
. . .

I have given that advice, as have others. You're very welcome, and thank you for the praise.

. Charles

#2375272 - 01/19/15 12:55 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I've learned that unlike other facets and pursuits, piano takes an unparalleled commitment. I love measuring my progress annually. However, I'm in awe that my daughter plays for hours daily without prompting. Imagine having to tell a kid, "Enough!" Piano is an art that evolves after years of commitment. I've also learned that my bulldog is partial to Beethoven. Bach makes him anxious.

I may not post often but I read posts faithfully. I've learned a lot from PW and from those who post regularly. You all motivate me!

#2375301 - 01/19/15 04:49 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Dave B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
This is an excellent reflection. I've learned many different things ranging from the technical, business, harmonic analysts, playing technique, business, recordings, digital pianos, hybrid pianos, experimental and development pianos, and the list goes on.

For me it's just great to share my love of keyboard music with so many wonderful people.
"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams

#2375306 - 01/19/15 04:59 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
JohnSprung Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
There are so many things, it's impossible to say that any one is subtstantially the best.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2375338 - 01/19/15 06:33 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: JohnSprung]
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
I am not alone in my pursuit.
Current: The Swan (Saint-Saens) (AR); St. Louis Blues (Handy) (AR)

#2375340 - 01/19/15 06:39 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Forrest Halford]
barbaram Offline

500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Forrest Halford
Posts by zrtf90

Gosh yes, I'm in the fan club too :-)

I think the number one thing for me has been don't learn from the start of the piece.

Very close runners up are slow practice & small sections.

On any given day I might reorder those ...

#2375383 - 01/19/15 08:56 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Forrest Halford]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: Forrest Halford
Posts by zrtf90

F

+1

#2375425 - 01/19/15 10:59 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
ajames Online   content

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Austin, Texas
There are so many things it's hard to pick one. My playing has improved the most due to my teacher, and I doubt I would have it teacher if it wasn't for PW, so that's probably it.

#2375451 - 01/19/15 11:47 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: BrianDX]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Originally Posted By: BrianDX
I am not alone in my pursuit.

+1

This is such a great little community that we have here in our corner of the internet. I've been honored to be able to share what little I know and grateful to have been able to learn from those who know so much more than I. I've learned great things here that have made my practice more productive and efficient; but most of all i've learned that when pursuing a goal as complex as learning the piano, community matters.

#2375487 - 01/19/15 12:56 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: fizikisto]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Costa del Sol
I think the most valuable thing that I have learned is how to approach practicing. So many times, someone will mention something that sends me researching. This often ends up with a "lightbulb moment" that transforms how I approach a technique, or how I approach a new piece.

The 2nd most valuable thing is the introduction to a wealth of music to play through the quarterly and themed recitals. Many of the pieces that I play, I heard here first!

My YouTube Channel

#2375531 - 01/19/15 02:40 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
The most important piano skill I have learned is the importance of slow, sometimes super-slow, practice. I always thought playing fast was the proof I knew something; I now believe that slow playing is harder.

The most prominent overall thing I've learned from PW is that being passionate about a hobby is way more common than you think, and it makes for some really fun and interesting people!

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#2375533 - 01/19/15 02:46 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Medden Offline

Loc: London, UK
I'm relatively new here, but have already gleaned lots of valuable things, such as:

1. That other people seem to like Ludovico Einaudi and Frederic Chopin

2. That you should never ask 'which is better, digital or acoustic?'

3. That everything will come with time, practice and effort

#2375553 - 01/19/15 03:28 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Medden.....

#2... not if you want a short answer, no ROFL

#2375621 - 01/19/15 06:21 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Alex MacPhee]
Stubbie Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Purkoy
I've learned many things on Piano World, but the most useful thing I've learned hasn't been 'how to do something', it's been learning that piano playing isn't easy, it's hard, and it requires multiple skills. It's been learning that every difficulty I have faced, hasn't been peculiar to me. Everyone else seems to have had the same hurdles to overcome, sometimes in exactly the same places. It's hard to overstate how encouraging that has been! It's an extraordinary motivator, to keep going, and perhaps vary my practice according to the tips I have picked up here.

+1

Without PW, I'd have been in a vacuum--I don't know anyone else who is learning to play (unless I count my niece's eight-year-old daughter, but she lives a thousand miles away smile ), so PW is where I come to spend time with other piano crazies enthusiasts. Learning that others struggle and overcome (and rinse and repeat) *is* encouraging.

#2375634 - 01/19/15 07:08 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto, Canada
It does not boil down to a single thing for me. For learning, there has been so much and more at the ready. I agree with all and specifically the comments around recording and recitals, as the most important discipline I have learned. It is really what has made all the difference for me. Never before would I work on a work smile as far, as I feel compelled to do in preparation for recording it. And just the entire atmosphere of the recitals as well, has also inspired motivation that did not exist prior. I view Piano as a serious hobby now, vs. a wandering moderate interest for many years prior to Piano World.

I really need to start doing a better job of planning for the recitals though.

#2375659 - 01/19/15 08:00 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
alans Offline

I've learned it's never too late to start a new instrument and never give up.

#2375720 - 01/19/15 11:50 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: casinitaly]
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
I think one of the most important things I've learned is that "it isn't just me" -- it really does take a lot time to gain the necessary skills, and I have to be patient with myself. Knowing that others struggle with the baby steps and are impatience with (lack of) progress, really helps me hang in there when I feel I am crawling rather than stepping. It helps me keep my perspective.

(Yes, ok, I still need reminders every now and then!)

I second and third what you have written and I have a great teacher thanks to a Piano World friend whose name try as I might can't remember. Thank you Piano World smile

Edited by musdan (01/19/15 11:52 PM)

#2375784 - 01/20/15 06:12 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: musdan]
Rerun Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana

The best thing I've learned here so far is that playing by ear is not a gift, it can be learned ... + a few members here told me where to go online to get that training. Paid off big time.

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

#2375797 - 01/20/15 07:26 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Silver Keys Offline

Loc: Upstate N.Y.
To make periodic recordings to critique myself and to measure my progress.
Yamaha P155

#2375806 - 01/20/15 08:13 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: alans]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: alans
I've learned it's never too late to start a new instrument and never give up.

+1 And enjoy the journey ....

#2377365 - 01/23/15 10:18 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
MH1963 Offline

1) I learned how to shop for a piano. This site helped me through two piano upgrades. Until I came here it had not occurred to me that part of the reason I sounded so bad and did not enjoy practice was that my original horrid old piano should have been firewood 80 years ago.

2) MOYD has helped me to get my practice schedule going, so consistency and understanding of good practice techniques were important lessons learned.

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Working on: Chopin - Mazurka 7 No. 2 / The Prayer - Coates Arrangement / Einaudi - Nefeli

#2377435 - 01/24/15 05:26 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Tararex Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia, USA
1. Slow down, they all said again and again. I thought, "What? My beginner's default speed is near non-movement so how do I slow down?
A year or so later when each tiny incremental increase in speed brought out a joyful "Yippee, I'm learning!" the last thing I wanted to do is slow down.
Finally, three years into the process it became clear. Slow down before it all goes sideways. Really. Slow down.

2. Try to find a good teacher if time and finances allow. We tend to work only our strengths. The teacher will find and work those annoying weaknesses.

3. Don't get discouraged when the swarm of adult responsibilities gets in the way. When the gnats get thick and piano practice has to take a back seat even five minutes a day on the keys will continue forward momentum.

4. Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.

5. Selecting a piano is as personal as selecting a best friend. With benefits.

Edited by Tararex (01/24/15 05:28 AM)
Edit Reason: sp

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.

#2377808 - 01/25/15 12:35 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
MarieJ Offline

Loc: Queensland Australia
Only ONE best thing? Where to start?!

The very first which comes to mind is finding out that there are companies out there that will spiral bind your music albums. Thank you to whoever recommended it; I've now had all of mine done. I'd never have thought of it, and yet it makes so much difference.

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - my idea of happiness.

#2377965 - 01/25/15 01:14 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Tararex]
Stubbie Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Tararex
............ 4. Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.........

+1 This would serve well as our new ABF slogan.

#2378003 - 01/25/15 03:05 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
curlyfries Offline

One of the best things I ever learned, only one of the best, that I will mention- the simple rule I first learned here which is why I came here. An accidentaled note is sharped, flatted, naturaled on the same following notes in that measure/bar but only if it is in the same octave. I don't believe I have ever read that in any workbook or theory book.

Edited by LindaR (01/25/15 03:07 PM)
Edit Reason: the the

#2378031 - 01/25/15 03:59 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Mark Cerisano Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I was taught every note in the bar after the accidental, no matter what octave, is affected by the accidental. I would use courtesy accidentals just to make sure. The issue is not who's right, but more how can we reduce ambiguity.

Oh, my best thing?
P5 in equal temperament beat 0.5 beats per second narrow, not 0.25, which I thought and taught for years!

Also, that posting on a public forum is a skill in itself.

Edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT (01/25/15 04:02 PM)

#2378123 - 01/25/15 08:45 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
curlyfries Offline

It is a rule they don't want n in writing. One of those things for those in the know.

#2378332 - 01/26/15 01:43 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
1.) PW introduced me to the music of Ludovico Einaudi and David Nevue. 'Nuff said.

2.) Concentrate on setting the "fractures" in a piece (i.e., playing a few measures before, during, and after a particularly tricky passage).

3.) Don't just practice a tricky section until you play it right. Once you get it right, play it again until you can play it 7 times in a row correctly.

#2382012 - 02/03/15 07:45 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: curlyfries]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: LindaR
One of the best things I ever learned, only one of the best, that I will mention- the simple rule I first learned here which is why I came here. An accidentaled note is sharped, flatted, naturaled on the same following notes in that measure/bar but only if it is in the same octave. I don't believe I have ever read that in any workbook or theory book.

See for eg:
Theory Essentials 2nd ed. Connie E. Mayfield
p8 Ch I The Basics of Reading Music
Quote:
When any accidental (sharp, flat, or natural) is placed in a measure of music, it stays in
effect on that particular line or space until the end of the measure, a segment of music de-lineated by a vertical line (or bar line) crossing all lines of the staff. The accidental does not
affect any other line or space on the staff, including other lines or spaces that have the same
letter name
. It is canceled by the next bar line or by a natural sign within the same measure.
This is an important rule to remember when naming notes, because a single accidental can
affect several other notes within a measure.

Practical Theory Complete A Self-instruction Music Theory Course - Sandy Feldstein
p29 Lesson 27
Quote:

Flats, sharps and naturals are called ACCIDENTAL signs.
When they are placed before a note, they affect every note on the same line or space for an entire measure.
A natural sign cancels the flat or sharp within the same measure.
A bar line also cancels an accidental.
When a note is tied across the bar line, it's accidental carries acros also.

#2382017 - 02/03/15 07:54 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Monica K.]
TonyB Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Twin Cities
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
1.) PW introduced me to the music of Ludovico Einaudi and David Nevue. 'Nuff said.

2.) Concentrate on setting the "fractures" in a piece (i.e., playing a few measures before, during, and after a particularly tricky passage).

3.) Don't just practice a tricky section until you play it right. Once you get it right, play it again until you can play it 7 times in a row correctly.

Monica - I have to say that your Youtube videos are an inspiration for me. Someday, I intend to be playing like you already can.

Regards,

Tony

#2382077 - 02/03/15 10:44 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
How much I lacked discipline to master the skill (or really any, for that matter). This humbling realization has really helped me out in all aspects of life, let alone simply improving at the instrument.

#2382079 - 02/03/15 10:47 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Valencia Offline
500 Post Club Member

...the wonderfulness of piano friends.

#2382758 - 02/05/15 02:53 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
vevurka Offline

Loc: Europe

I met a lot of wonderful piano friends here and received a lot of encouragment, which helped me with my piano goals. I love being here and I hope I'll not be kicked from this subforum.

#2382809 - 02/05/15 04:53 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: vevurka]
earlofmar Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: verqueue

I met a lot of wonderful piano friends here and received a lot of encouragment, which helped me with my piano goals. I love being here and I hope I'll not be kicked from this subforum.

that will never happen, we value your opinions too much as well as enjoy being reading about your journey.

13x

#2383346 - 02/07/15 08:36 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
tbonesays Offline

Loc: Phoenix
that "beginners" speak in an strangely advanced and unknown language.

#2383417 - 02/07/15 12:30 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

I've learned some new skills in dissecting and analyzing problems/methods of study, through somewhat heated debates.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #72 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2383939 - 02/08/15 07:16 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: tbonesays]
Finfan Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Originally Posted By tbonesays

Amen friend! When I first looked at the postings here I was thinking "These are beginners!!!!!"

So far for me the most useful thing I've learned is that there are You Tube videos of the lessons in Alfred's Adult Beginner's book. Those have been extremely useful for me!

#2385037 - 02/11/15 04:45 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
MikeOnKey Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
The most important lesson I've learned here: Piano is a long term project. no matter how hard i work or practice, it's going to take a long while. Play every day for a year and you are still at the beginning of the learning curve. i need to remind myself of this when things get frustrating (and it is VERY much at times)
Loving/Suffering through Alfred's Adult Book #1

#2385044 - 02/11/15 05:12 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: tbonesays]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By tbonesays

.... which could be easily picked up wink

#2386423 - 02/14/15 11:40 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Loc: Rocky Mountains
The absolute best thing I have learned from piano world. And I wouldn't have found it without piano world.
Artistry Alliance

#2386478 - 02/15/15 03:05 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: curlyfries]
TheHappyPianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Hawaii
Originally Posted By LindaR

I really have to share a "student" tale here. I had a very serious little girl studying with me years ago. She was very anxious to learn and obeyed my every instruction to the letter. One day I explained to her the rules of the "accidentals" ... carefully pointing out that they applied to only one measure and only one octave. I thought I'd given a stellar explanation until the following week when she came for her lesson. We opened her music and I noticed she had carefully applied "white-out" to every accidental. I was puzzled and asked her why.

"Oh Miss .... you told me they were "accidents" so I took them out."

Sometimes you have to be careful what you say to a very conscientious student. laugh

#2386506 - 02/15/15 04:46 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: curlyfries]
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By LindaR

See Elaine Gould's Behind Bars (the current "bible" of music notation), page 78:

"An accidental holds good for the duration of a bar. It applies only to the pitch at which it is written: each additional octave requires a further accidental"

#2386934 - 02/16/15 09:00 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By zrtf90
Originally Posted By Jytte
Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions...
I would prefer to say it comes with experience. Practise should be something deliberate. wink

Like dynamobt, I think the recitals are the best thing. There are several resources on the 'net for increasing the efficiency of our practise but the one I remember most begins with "Listen!" (Dr. Brent Hugh).

There's nothing that lifts our performance or ability more than careful listening and nothing that makes us listen more than making a recording for others.

Yes, I am finally understanding this. Because you encouraged me to be in the ABF recital I now see how I can incorporate recording into my regular practice sessions. I'm starting my session today with the Mozart Fantasia I'm working on!

#2387829 - 02/18/15 08:51 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Qazsedcft Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
For me it was: Get a teacher!

I now realize just how ridiculous it was to try to learn on my own. smile

#2388609 - 02/20/15 08:50 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: earlofmar]
barbaram Offline

500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By earlofmar
Originally Posted By verqueue

that will never happen, we value your opinions too much as well as enjoy being reading about your journey.

+1

#2392508 - 03/01/15 02:29 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
_silvia_ Offline

Loc: Southeast PA, USA
It takes years of hard work to start playing decently. But many people here are doing it or have already accomplished that. "Decently" means different things to different people, therefore my definiton is no worse than the next person's.

Learn to read intervals - this is useful in the long run.

Practice in chunks of time - 20 minutes per piece or several times throughout the day, every day.

This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

#2393078 - 03/02/15 10:06 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: _silvia_]
HalfStep Offline

Originally Posted By _silvia_
It takes years of hard work to start playing decently. But many people here are doing it or have already accomplished that. "Decently" means different things to different people, therefore my definiton is no worse than the next person's.

Learn to read intervals - this is useful in the long run.

Practice in chunks of time - 20 minutes per piece or several times throughout the day, every day.

This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

I agree with the feeling of connectedness. I do not post daily but read every night before bed.

#2393201 - 03/03/15 08:00 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
It is a journey and we are not alone. There are ups and downs in the learning and the motivation and the success. Talking about the learning makes it more fun and sometimes helps us discover ways around the obstacles.

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

#2393773 - 03/04/15 01:33 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I've decided that the best thing I've learned was to get a good teacher. Yesterday, I had another great session with my teacher. There's no way I could have advanced as far as I have without my teacher.

#2394199 - 03/05/15 11:40 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
The best thing I've learned was to understand that I'm not alone in this journey.

The 2nd thing I've learned was that I memorize pieces with ease, so I can play by memory any piece I've learned in the past years. I only understood that I had this "skill" after reading a post about "How to memorize a piece?" - I thought that memorizing was a natural process for every player.

SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2394320 - 03/05/15 04:12 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
Ha! Non-existent in some. frown

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

#2394461 - 03/05/15 10:02 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: CarlosCC]
HalfStep Offline

Originally Posted By CarlosCC
The best thing I've learned was to understand that I'm not alone in this journey.

The 2nd thing I've learned was that I memorize pieces with ease, so I can play by memory any piece I've learned in the past years. I only understood that I had this "skill" after reading a post about "How to memorize a piece?" - I thought that memorizing was a natural process for every player.

Ha, I wish! Reading is one thing, memorizing, for me, poses an entirely different challenge.

#2394576 - 03/06/15 08:15 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: HalfStep]
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In some ways being able to memorize pieces quickly can be an issue. For me, once I have pretty much memorized any piece, I tend to back off on really reading the notes on the page.

I think this leads to other issues.

#2394636 - 03/06/15 11:02 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: BrianDX]
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By BrianDX
In some ways being able to memorize pieces quickly can be an issue. For me, once I have pretty much memorized any piece, I tend to back off on really reading the notes on the page.

In my case it's not just "quickly"; it's also "permanent". I do nothing to memorize; I even don't think about that.

SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2394808 - 03/06/15 05:18 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: BrianDX]
HalfStep Offline

Originally Posted By BrianDX

I agree! I've found the that when I memorize something ( like a small section)I will not read and get lost when I look back at the music. My daughter is younger so I make sure she's sight reading and playing new things all of the time. She memorizes easily and that adversely affected her reading early on. I've definitely remedied that.

#2398555 - 03/15/15 07:25 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: _silvia_]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA

+1. I also find the international nature of this forum inspiring, that so many people from every corner of the planet share very much the same dream to learn piano and support each other. International organizations have something to learn from us.

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year
and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” - Bill Gates

#2398597 - 03/15/15 10:06 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Best thing I've learned here -- That there can be musical communities that are really all about love of the music.

Working on:
Beethoven, Diabelli Variations
Barber, Souvenirs
Mozart, Magic Flute (piano/celesta part)
Stravinsky, Symphony of Psalms, arranging accompaniment for four hands

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music

#2398663 - 03/16/15 01:37 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: 8 Octaves]
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By 8 Octaves
+1. I also find the international nature of this forum inspiring, that so many people from every corner of the planet share very much the same dream to learn piano and support each other. International organizations have something to learn from us.

I wholeheartedly concur with the above comments. I was particularly struck by the International aspect of our community this evening while listening to the submissions to the ABF Schumann Recital. Isn't it amazing how classical music can bring people together !! thumb

#2398809 - 03/16/15 11:49 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Tralexer Offline

Live for the process, not the goal.

If your only motivation to play is some goal in the future (such as playing a specific piece, or being better than your neighbor), you will view practice as work for fulfilling a goal, rather than viewing the process as the reward, as the part of your day you look forward to.

When you start to live for the process of practicing, your practice becomes playing, and you create a motivation that is purely intrinsic. You will improve, you will enjoy yourself, and every time you sit in front of your 88 keys, you will be exactly where you want to be in your journey of a beautiful instrument.

#2399505 - 03/17/15 11:21 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Tralexer]
HalfStep Offline

Originally Posted By Octaves_Up
Live for the process, not the goal.

If your only motivation to play is some goal in the future (such as playing a specific piece, or being better than your neighbor), you will view practice as work for fulfilling a goal, rather than viewing the process as the reward, as the part of your day you look forward to.

When you start to live for the process of practicing, your practice becomes playing, and you create a motivation that is purely intrinsic. You will improve, you will enjoy yourself, and every time you sit in front of your 88 keys, you will be exactly where you want to be in your journey of a beautiful instrument.

Regardless of what information is being conveyed many negate the concept of "process." The outcome is revered but the application is underrated. That is, I appreciate your stance.

#2412199 - 04/20/15 06:12 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spain
I've learnt I am not the only one trying to start with the piano after her 40s, and some other things I've been reading about. I can't even remember exactly, but I was getting ideas before buying my first piano like one month ago.

I am learning I have lots to learn… laugh smile

#2412334 - 04/21/15 03:30 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Albunea]
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
A lot of people here have started late in life. It`s no barrier to achievement either. Stuff on the recitals and piano bar bear testimony top that. Have fun! It can be hard work at times. That`s the time to have a break.

""

#2412353 - 04/21/15 05:24 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello, peterws smile Recitals and piano bar sounds good. I'll have to find that place.

#2412861 - 04/22/15 02:42 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Agfinguy Offline

Loc: Florida
I don't post every day but read it everyday.. one thing I learned early on (3 months ago.. lol) Get the piano tuned!

huge difference and it felt great when I sat down on the bench..

Alfreds Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course
Started 1 Jan 2015
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240

#2418427 - 05/08/15 05:38 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Charles Cohen Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote:
. . . This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

YES ! YES !

. Charles

#2418808 - 05/09/15 10:21 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

That I enjoy the people who are even more nerdy and geeky about Piano than me. Even when I don't understand a thing that goes on in the Piano Tuners forum!

#2423454 - 05/22/15 08:13 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Smurfette Offline

Loc: Scotland
A couple of years ago, I had bought some books with the intention to self teach until I got stuck. I didn't join here, but read some posts and realised that the advice was solid, that a good teacher is even more important at the beginning, as unlearning bad habits would be difficult.

So I decided to be patient and wait till I could have regular lessons ( although it will be fortnightly, not weekly at this point). I think it was the right decision, but without this forum I would have plunged right in at the deep end and tried to run before I could crawl.

I occasionally came back and lurked, and the way you all encourage each other is great motivation to keep going when it gets hard.

XL

Kawai CA 97

#2424482 - 05/24/15 11:59 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Springmissy Offline

Loc: Greece
I would love to have a teacher but after paying for lots of activities for my kids (including music) I can't afford it, so the best thing I've learnt here is rather than struggle along with books to teach myself, there is pianomarvel.com, and I think it's brilliant!

#2424557 - 05/25/15 08:54 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Springmissy]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Springmissy
I would love to have a teacher but after paying for lots of activities for my kids (including music) I can't afford it, so the best thing I've learnt here is rather than struggle along with books to teach myself, there is pianomarvel.com, and I think it's brilliant!
thumb I agree the learning tools and approaches available to us nowadays are amazing. For Piano some of them border on miracles!

#2424558 - 05/25/15 08:57 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

The best guiding principle I've picked up, is that all practice and learning should be focused on getting better control ... with the end goal being mastery. Mastery of yourself 1st and the instrument 2nd ...

wow

#2424564 - 05/25/15 09:21 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok, Groove On, now I'll have to start a thread to ask what is "Control at the piano".

#2424580 - 05/25/15 10:03 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Albunea]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Albunea
Ok, Groove On, now I'll have to start a thread to ask what is "Control at the piano".

thumb Whee!

#2432454 - 06/16/15 12:07 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: earlofmar]
RyanDavidDwyer Offline

Loc: Oregon
Earl,

I signed up for Piano World forum a long time ago and might be active regularly. It will be interesting to see what people have written and what they will write! I've already seen some intriguing posts and responses. You've written over 2000 times I see. Impressive!

-Ryan
"You've had the keys all along!"
503-479-8631 Office
http://www.ryandaviddwyer.com

#2434427 - 06/22/15 10:27 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I've learned that if I spend half as much time at the piano as I do on Piano World, I may turn out to be a pretty decent pianist after all.

#2434480 - 06/22/15 12:40 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Moonsh1ne]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

That means about 6 hrs per day in the forum?

#2436351 - 06/28/15 12:43 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Tralexer]
markmilo Offline

I'm new to Piano World. I just want to thank you for the words about process. As a writer, I yearn to just crank out work - but I've learned to actually love the re-write process; thinking quite technically about structure, character development and relationships, even to the sound of words and rhythm of phrases. That's what puts me in the flow, and my work has improved considerably.

Now getting back to the piano after many years, I starting to find that I can still love Rubinstein (and more and more these days, Schiff), but I'm learning to love learning. When I don't, I just get frustrated that I'm not Rubinstein and never will be, and then I just want to quit.

Now I'm pulling myself out of that trap, and starting to really love the process. As someone else said, love the process, not the goal. I'd add, love the process and the goal will take care of itself.

For me, integrating that is a MAJOR step forward both in playing and in life.

So thank you all for the inspiration. I'm so glad I found these forums!

#2436479 - 06/28/15 09:14 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Welcome Markmilo. So glad your realize the importance of the process. It can be enjoyable and challenging. That is what makes the goal so worth the work.

Happy piano playing!!!

#2451874 - 08/18/15 05:11 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
The two best tips I have received here came from Brendan and bennevis. Many years ago Brendan suggested practising difficult, continuous passages, not by slow practice but by splitting them into small sections, each of which is easy at speed, with pauses between each pair, then joining them over time. I have been using this trick ever since and it has never failed to get results quickly.

The second tip came from bennevis, who suggested using baby socks as pedal bags. Brilliant !

#2467559 - 10/07/15 07:03 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Ted]
TonyB Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Te best thing I learned about at Piano World (so far) is about the Roland V-Grand. Living in a condo, these are the products that can provide me the (so far) closest experience to a "real" piano (as many seem to phrase it. Thanks go out to pv-88, bennevis, and EssBrace for this.

Also, I have gotten a lot of information about self-teaching methods and approaches.

Really, both of these items are of equal importance, since one would simply not do without the other.

Tony

#2487045 - 12/03/15 04:34 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Celdor Offline

Originally Posted By D7K

Preparation to recitals. I have been given absolutely amazing and 100% constructive advices regarding practising for recitals. Many thanks to: earlofmar, dmd, Stubbie, zrtf90, BrianDX, SwissMS smile

I also play with headphones and used to keep volume on 50% but it was my teacher who changed that. Now, I tend to play without headphones which feels great when I can actually listen to piano more naturally smile

Edited by Celdor (12/03/15 04:47 AM)

#2491247 - 12/16/15 06:49 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: markmilo]
D7K Offline

About time to add a second thing I've learned that was greatly helpful. Play every day no matter how long.I now keep some easy pop stuff on the music stand and when I don't feel well or too busy with life, I fire up the PX5S and just play a piece that I know once or twice - its lifts my spirit and I don't feel the pressure of not having played.

#2491484 - 12/17/15 02:57 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Noonie Offline

Hands separate (HS)...slowly. HS up to tempo. Hands together (HT)...slowly. HT up to tempo. I like learning, and the process of learning, and while my teacher would have me do this when learning new songs, she didn't say it so clearly as I've read here.

#2491678 - 12/18/15 07:18 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Noonie]
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Noonie
Hands separate (HS)...slowly. HS up to tempo. Hands together (HT)...slowly. HT up to tempo. I like learning, and the process of learning, and while my teacher would have me do this when learning new songs, she didn't say it so clearly as I've read here.

Great to hear Noonie; Just to take note, there are many posters here in ABF that do not subscribe to this method. But that's OK.

However, both my teacher and the publishers of my lesson books recommend this technique. I have found through trial and error that this works best for me as well.

#2494922 - 12/29/15 06:23 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: markmilo]
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Originally Posted By markmilo
I'm new to Piano World. I just want to thank you for the words about process. As a writer, I yearn to just crank out work - but I've learned to actually love the re-write process; thinking quite technically about structure, character development and relationships, even to the sound of words and rhythm of phrases. That's what puts me in the flow, and my work has improved considerably.

Now getting back to the piano after many years, I starting to find that I can still love Rubinstein (and more and more these days, Schiff), but I'm learning to love learning. When I don't, I just get frustrated that I'm not Rubinstein and never will be, and then I just want to quit.

Now I'm pulling myself out of that trap, and starting to really love the process. As someone else said, love the process, not the goal. I'd add, love the process and the goal will take care of itself.

For me, integrating that is a MAJOR step forward both in playing and in life.

So thank you all for the inspiration. I'm so glad I found these forums!

Markmilo,

Welcome on board......PW is a nice place to be....among pianofriends......you will find all kind of interesting things......about piano's, digital piano's, grandpiano's.....abput what other members are playing......digital recitals.......

You will enjoy it.

Kind regards,
Johan B

Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic

#2505652 - 01/30/16 07:32 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Medved1 Offline

Loc: New York
"Best things I've learned on Piano World" - the kind and good humored support for piano and music as a process, rather than a result. What a lift at the end of a long day to sit down and learn something. I loved the comment from markmilo that "I'm learning to love learning". So easy to forget in today's world, so important for mental health and "staying power" in the face of whatever life throws at you.

Edited by Medved1 (01/30/16 07:46 PM)
Edit Reason: add quote

#2507239 - 02/04/16 03:14 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
agraffe Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I learned about Hutchins & Rea sheet music store in Atlanta: What a wonderful resource! IMSLP is more comprehensive, and free, but one has to use copies from the printer.

Also, I discovered the value of coming in physical contact with the keyboard every day, even if I am not able to take it much further than that (on a given day).

I am pondering the wisdom of not beginning at the beginning of a piece when I practice (though I am not fully certain/convinced why this should be so).

#2513175 - 02/21/16 08:33 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
TonyB Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

There are more things that I realize I learned here as I go along. Much of the time, I use headphones when playing my Roland V-Grand Digital Piano (DP), since I live in a condo. I have a couple of models that I have tweaked for this purpose and they sound just fine. From time to time, I will use the speaker system during the day. On the V-Grand, it is a powerful system, with 4 60 watt amplifiers and several speakers in a multi-channel arrangement.

A couple of people have mentioned that when practicing on a DP, we should turn the volume up high to approach the dynamics of an acoustic piano, otherwise, we end up learning to pound on the keys instead of finessing them to get the sound we want.

Much of the time when practicing with headphones, I keep the sound turned down, which clearly I should not be doing. I find that when I use the speaker system, I can clearly tell that I am playing the keys too hard, and then I have to turn the volume way up so I can play more softly to get a decent sound and have "headroom" for dynamics.

There are all manner of tips in these forums that can slip by us at the time we read them, but recall when we are looking for a solution to a particular situation we find ourselves in. This is one of those cases. I wonder how many people, when trying out DPs looking to purchase, remember to do this. The sound is much better when we do, as is the dynamic response of the DP, especially on a truly high end instrument such as the V-Grand or V-Piano and the newer line of Roland consumer-market instruments.

Tony

Edited by TonyB (02/21/16 08:34 AM)

#2516986 - 03/03/16 05:34 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Major Keys Offline

Loc: Sydney, AU
The main thing so far is that my experience is pretty normal. I'm not learning at a very fast rate but I'm progressing. When I'm encountering things that I find difficult this place has taught me that I'm not the first to find those things and I won't be the last.

With perseverance, studious attention and some experimentation, you can find a way through.

#2541614 - 05/20/16 05:43 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Sandy Fry Offline

Loc: SoCal
For me...it has been the help and advice I have been given by the wonderful folks here on the forum.
Although I am a complete beginner ( age 52 ) with no prior musical knowledge, everyone has treated my ( probably heard a zillion times before )questions with respect and patience.

Thank you all.

David

#2550481 - 06/19/16 10:26 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Just Steven Offline

When I was little, my music teacher taught me the best thing in music; that is learning by ear all the scales, arpeggios, and chords. I thought it was boring and worthless until one day when it suddenly clicks. They make playing music so much easier.

Edited by Just Steven (06/19/16 10:30 AM)

#2572619 - 09/20/16 10:03 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
InnaGrace Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I've only been on the forums for about a month, but have learned a TON:
- that I love geeking out with fellow pianists! smile
- great advice regarding my purchase of a digital piano (settled on a Roland HP605 - LOVE it)
- that there exist amateur competitions for adults
- that I'm actually excited to give those a shot someday (!!)
- that we have our own quarterly recitals here!
- that in order to be able to play pain-free (long-standing tendinitis injury) I need to re-train with a good teacher
- that this may take a long time, and I need to focus on pain-free playing rather than any other goal right now
- that others here have traveled the same path and can now play without issues
- that there are tons of resources, and folks are happy to help
- that Opus numbers are quite arbitrary
- that everyone at times struggles with motivation (and that reading the forums actually increases my motivation!)
- that there are many ways to learn longer pieces and difficult passages, not just from the beginning, hands separately and slowly - you can also dive into the middle of the piece and work on the most challenging passages first, then reward yourself with the easier ones in between; and you can break challenging passages into tiny pieces each of which is easier and then connect them
- that Mozart isn't "easy" (as I had thought for years), but requires a "cleanliness" and consistency of playing that's actually quite challenging
- and, my favorite one so far (with thanks to Tubbie0075) - that the key to playing Chopin is to always keep the tension going, whether that means slowing down or speeding up, louder or softer; what a PERFECT way to look at it!

So excited to continue my journey here with you all!

#2595783 - 12/18/16 09:48 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
rodirgo Offline

For me, as an adult self taught beginner reading lots of posts, the best advice was don't be that affraid of pieces, just be patient and practice a lot!

#2601074 - 01/04/17 03:54 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Wuffski Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe (Northern Spain)
I learned that nobody on the Piano World forum would ever tell me that I won't make it to become a pianist, although my progress is a total flop. And if I purchase an acoustic piano and upload a photo of it then I will be told how beautiful it looks, although it is just the same black polished wooden box like any other piano is.

In other words, I learned that even fools like me are respectfully treated and this forum is thus the one very best forum in all the Internet. THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU!

#2619949 - 03/03/17 11:04 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
oscar1 Offline

I learned that I have a long way to go to become any kind of player.... but I also learned to appreciate the dedication and work others put into it.

Edited by oscar1 (03/03/17 11:05 AM)

#2633588 - 04/17/17 12:28 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
That I'm not the only one struggling with [fill in the blank].

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,245 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission