Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyers Guide
Who's Online
83 registered (Arty Movie, anamnesis, alwatson, barbaram, augustm, 36251, 20 invisible), 2061 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2375058 - 01/18/15 01:09 PM The best thing I've learned on Piano World....
D7K Offline

Ok, list the one thing you've learned here (in any forum) that you think did the most for your piano playing.

For me it was, if you are using a digital piano turn the volume up as far as it will go to help learn dynamic playing. For me this made the difference in playing soft and/or hard with either hand.

I realized that the very loud sound of hitting the keys with the volume turned up became a "shock" and my hands/fingers adjusted very quickly to that "danger".

I play with headphones and thought that I needed to turn down the volume to protect my hearing (and maybe in the first six months that wasn't a bad idea), but I wish I would have done this at the six month stage and not the year and a half stage.

Really this advice was so simple that I thought it couldn't work (who ever posted this I'm sorry I can attribute it too you because I can't find your post). But this is by far the best advice I've gotten here or anywhere else.

Thank you, whoever you are.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2375064 - 01/18/15 01:26 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: presently Germany (Danish)
A friendly fellow member PM'ed me with a link to what is now my teacher.
The best thing that ever happened to my piano playing smile

All the other things I've learned here (and there are many) will have to fight for a close second.

#2375067 - 01/18/15 01:31 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
jotur Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I think the best thing I've learned is how much people pay attention to detail.

I'm kind of a damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead kind of person.

Taking the time, discipline, and focus to work/pay attention to details has made a huge difference in my musicality.

It's still fun to play piano, tho smile

Cathy

Practice like you are the worst; play like you are the best - anonymous

#2375095 - 01/18/15 02:35 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
Originally Posted By: D7K
Ok, list the one thing you've learned here (in any forum) that you think did the most for your piano playing.

For me it was, if you are using a digital piano turn the volume up as far as it will go to help learn dynamic playing. For me this made the difference in playing soft and/or hard with either hand.

I realized that the very loud sound of hitting the keys with the volume turned up became a "shock" and my hands/fingers adjusted very quickly to that "danger".

I play with headphones and thought that I needed to turn down the volume to protect my hearing (and maybe in the first six months that wasn't a bad idea), but I wish I would have done this at the six month stage and not the year and a half stage.

Really this advice was so simple that I thought it couldn't work (who ever posted this I'm sorry I can attribute it too you because I can't find your post). But this is by far the best advice I've gotten here or anywhere else.

Sounds like: As effective as getting slapped on the fingers by a ruler in the "good old days", by the piano teacher.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #71 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

#2375128 - 01/18/15 03:44 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
earlofmar Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
I'll be a contrarian and say the lack of advice here has been the most beneficial. I raise the odd question hoping to have a straightforward "this is the route, start at A, go to B and finish at C" type answer. This is never the replies I get, more often than not they are usually "it comes with practice". This has been most helpful as I stop looking for solutions in a book or method and start thinking about my practice regime more.

13x

#2375131 - 01/18/15 03:53 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions laugh
It's maddening, but nonetheless true.

#2375140 - 01/18/15 04:18 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
....when someone mentioned local colleges or community colleges as a place to look for teachers. Actually, I went to the local community college to *ask* for advice about good local teachers, and the answer was, "Look no further." The first teacher I had there was very good; the second one is excellent.

#2375146 - 01/18/15 04:36 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
dynamobt Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: NH
Though not specifically "piano" related, the best thing I have learned on Piano World is how to record myself on the piano. People here pretty much walked me through the process of choosing a recorder, what settings to choose when recording, software questions answered about Audacity, etc, etc, etc. I know very well that I would not have my Zoom H2n and be making recordings of myself were it not for the people on Piano World. Being able to record myself has opened up the possibility of participating in the online recitals. This has been a huge boost to my motivation as well as providing a sense of belonging on PW.

Really, if you are not recording your playing it is so very worthwile to do so. There are posts and threads on the forum that cover just about everything "how to". The recorders these days are not so very expensive. And, if I can learn how to do it, anyone can. I am no techno geek AT ALL!! And yet, I now have a recorder and pretty much standard set up and process for getting myself recorded. It is so much FUN!!!! So, if you are thinking about it, just do it!!! And I really thank the people on PW for helping me.

#2375148 - 01/18/15 04:39 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Stubbie]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Best tip was to slow down, or as Graham Fitch phrases it: slowly, separate, sections. Related to this is to practice in short time windows of 15 to 20 minutes each, and to try and practice every day.

There have also been some good resources that I found through PW such as free online courses on Coursera.org, a free Yale music appreciation course, and a few Youtube tutorials. I also found the book, The Musician's Way through PW. Even though the book is more for university level music students, as a beginner, I still got one or two very valuable bits from the book that have shaped my practice habits, and my performance routine.

These indirect tips include balanced approach to time management, and what I see as several important though common sense tips for performing, such as packing the night before, arriving early, taking a deep breath, rehearsing fall back starting points in the middle of a piece in case of a fault.

Without PW I doubt I would have ever bought a digital piano, instead settling for a low priced keyboard. Participating in the recitals has also helped me.

#2375151 - 01/18/15 04:47 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
I think one of the most important things I've learned is that "it isn't just me" -- it really does take a lot time to gain the necessary skills, and I have to be patient with myself. Knowing that others struggle with the baby steps and are impatience with (lack of) progress, really helps me hang in there when I feel I am crawling rather than stepping. It helps me keep my perspective.

(Yes, ok, I still need reminders every now and then!)

#2375152 - 01/18/15 04:54 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The best thing I have learned is to get a teacher.

#2375155 - 01/18/15 04:56 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
zrtf90 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Originally Posted By: Jytte
Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions...
I would prefer to say it comes with experience. Practise should be something deliberate. wink

Like dynamobt, I think the recitals are the best thing. There are several resources on the 'net for increasing the efficiency of our practise but the one I remember most begins with "Listen!" (Dr. Brent Hugh).

There's nothing that lifts our performance or ability more than careful listening and nothing that makes us listen more than making a recording for others.

#2375195 - 01/18/15 06:45 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
malkin Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I couldn't limit it to just one thing.
Right now, the top two are:

Do what your teacher tells you.

and

Go ahead and get the best piano you can afford.

#2375205 - 01/18/15 07:04 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Alex MacPhee Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I've learned many things on Piano World, but the most useful thing I've learned hasn't been 'how to do something', it's been learning that piano playing isn't easy, it's hard, and it requires multiple skills. It's been learning that every difficulty I have faced, hasn't been peculiar to me. Everyone else seems to have had the same hurdles to overcome, sometimes in exactly the same places. It's hard to overstate how encouraging that has been! It's an extraordinary motivator, to keep going, and perhaps vary my practice according to the tips I have picked up here.

#2375249 - 01/18/15 09:56 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Forrest Halford Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Posts by zrtf90

F

#2375258 - 01/18/15 10:53 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Charles Cohen Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Originally Posted By: D7K
. . .
. . .

I have given that advice, as have others. You're very welcome, and thank you for the praise.

. Charles

#2375272 - 01/19/15 12:55 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
I've learned that unlike other facets and pursuits, piano takes an unparalleled commitment. I love measuring my progress annually. However, I'm in awe that my daughter plays for hours daily without prompting. Imagine having to tell a kid, "Enough!" Piano is an art that evolves after years of commitment. I've also learned that my bulldog is partial to Beethoven. Bach makes him anxious.

I may not post often but I read posts faithfully. I've learned a lot from PW and from those who post regularly. You all motivate me!

#2375301 - 01/19/15 04:49 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Dave B Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
This is an excellent reflection. I've learned many different things ranging from the technical, business, harmonic analysts, playing technique, business, recordings, digital pianos, hybrid pianos, experimental and development pianos, and the list goes on.

For me it's just great to share my love of keyboard music with so many wonderful people.
"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams

#2375306 - 01/19/15 04:59 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
JohnSprung Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Reseda, California
There are so many things, it's impossible to say that any one is subtstantially the best.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690

#2375338 - 01/19/15 06:33 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: JohnSprung]
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
I am not alone in my pursuit.
Current: Gypsy Prayer (Faber) (OC); Arpeggio Magic (Faber) (OC)

#2375340 - 01/19/15 06:39 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Forrest Halford]
barbaram Online   content

500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Forrest Halford
Posts by zrtf90

Gosh yes, I'm in the fan club too :-)

I think the number one thing for me has been don't learn from the start of the piece.

Very close runners up are slow practice & small sections.

On any given day I might reorder those ...

#2375383 - 01/19/15 08:56 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Forrest Halford]
EM Deeka Offline

Originally Posted By: Forrest Halford
Posts by zrtf90

F

+1

#2375425 - 01/19/15 10:59 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
ajames Offline

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Loc: Austin, Texas
There are so many things it's hard to pick one. My playing has improved the most due to my teacher, and I doubt I would have it teacher if it wasn't for PW, so that's probably it.

#2375451 - 01/19/15 11:47 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: BrianDX]
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hernando, MS
Originally Posted By: BrianDX
I am not alone in my pursuit.

+1

This is such a great little community that we have here in our corner of the internet. I've been honored to be able to share what little I know and grateful to have been able to learn from those who know so much more than I. I've learned great things here that have made my practice more productive and efficient; but most of all i've learned that when pursuing a goal as complex as learning the piano, community matters.

#2375487 - 01/19/15 12:56 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: fizikisto]
SwissMS Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Costa del Sol
I think the most valuable thing that I have learned is how to approach practicing. So many times, someone will mention something that sends me researching. This often ends up with a "lightbulb moment" that transforms how I approach a technique, or how I approach a new piece.

The 2nd most valuable thing is the introduction to a wealth of music to play through the quarterly and themed recitals. Many of the pieces that I play, I heard here first!

My YouTube Channel

#2375531 - 01/19/15 02:40 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
The most important piano skill I have learned is the importance of slow, sometimes super-slow, practice. I always thought playing fast was the proof I knew something; I now believe that slow playing is harder.

The most prominent overall thing I've learned from PW is that being passionate about a hobby is way more common than you think, and it makes for some really fun and interesting people!

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#2375533 - 01/19/15 02:46 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Medden Online   content

Loc: London, UK
I'm relatively new here, but have already gleaned lots of valuable things, such as:

1. That other people seem to like Ludovico Einaudi and Frederic Chopin

2. That you should never ask 'which is better, digital or acoustic?'

3. That everything will come with time, practice and effort

#2375553 - 01/19/15 03:28 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Medden.....

#2... not if you want a short answer, no ROFL

#2375621 - 01/19/15 06:21 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Alex MacPhee]
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Midwest USA
Originally Posted By: Purkoy
I've learned many things on Piano World, but the most useful thing I've learned hasn't been 'how to do something', it's been learning that piano playing isn't easy, it's hard, and it requires multiple skills. It's been learning that every difficulty I have faced, hasn't been peculiar to me. Everyone else seems to have had the same hurdles to overcome, sometimes in exactly the same places. It's hard to overstate how encouraging that has been! It's an extraordinary motivator, to keep going, and perhaps vary my practice according to the tips I have picked up here.

+1

Without PW, I'd have been in a vacuum--I don't know anyone else who is learning to play (unless I count my niece's eight-year-old daughter, but she lives a thousand miles away smile ), so PW is where I come to spend time with other piano crazies enthusiasts. Learning that others struggle and overcome (and rinse and repeat) *is* encouraging.

#2375634 - 01/19/15 07:08 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto, Canada
It does not boil down to a single thing for me. For learning, there has been so much and more at the ready. I agree with all and specifically the comments around recording and recitals, as the most important discipline I have learned. It is really what has made all the difference for me. Never before would I work on a work smile as far, as I feel compelled to do in preparation for recording it. And just the entire atmosphere of the recitals as well, has also inspired motivation that did not exist prior. I view Piano as a serious hobby now, vs. a wandering moderate interest for many years prior to Piano World.

I really need to start doing a better job of planning for the recitals though.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.
Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Saddest Piece Ever?
by SiFi
03/23/17 01:46 AM
How long does it usually take to learn a piece?
by Cutestpuppie
03/22/17 10:45 PM
Help me decide
by TSuppa
03/22/17 09:15 PM
Ivory keys expert advice needed
by Jorge Andrade
03/22/17 08:06 PM
Good news and terrible news
by sara elizabeth
03/22/17 06:19 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,083 Registered Members
44 Forums
178,506 Topics
2,609,058 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission