Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (ajames, Adypiano, accordeur, Almaviva, agraffe, aleksivu, 28 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2436351 - 06/28/15 12:43 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Tralexer]  
markmilo Offline
markmilo  Offline

I'm new to Piano World. I just want to thank you for the words about process. As a writer, I yearn to just crank out work - but I've learned to actually love the re-write process; thinking quite technically about structure, character development and relationships, even to the sound of words and rhythm of phrases. That's what puts me in the flow, and my work has improved considerably.

Now getting back to the piano after many years, I starting to find that I can still love Rubinstein (and more and more these days, Schiff), but I'm learning to love learning. When I don't, I just get frustrated that I'm not Rubinstein and never will be, and then I just want to quit.

Now I'm pulling myself out of that trap, and starting to really love the process. As someone else said, love the process, not the goal. I'd add, love the process and the goal will take care of itself.

For me, integrating that is a MAJOR step forward both in playing and in life.

So thank you all for the inspiration. I'm so glad I found these forums!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2436479 - 06/28/15 09:14 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Isabelle1949 Offline
500 Post Club Member
Isabelle1949  Offline
500 Post Club Member

New Orleans, LA
Welcome Markmilo. So glad your realize the importance of the process. It can be enjoyable and challenging. That is what makes the goal so worth the work.

Happy piano playing!!!

Always working to improve "Chopsticks". I'll never give up on it.
#2451874 - 08/18/15 05:11 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Auckland, New Zealand
The two best tips I have received here came from Brendan and bennevis. Many years ago Brendan suggested practising difficult, continuous passages, not by slow practice but by splitting them into small sections, each of which is easy at speed, with pauses between each pair, then joining them over time. I have been using this trick ever since and it has never failed to get results quickly.

The second tip came from bennevis, who suggested using baby socks as pedal bags. Brilliant !

"It is inadvisable to decline a dinner invitation from a plump woman." - Fred Hollows
#2467559 - 10/07/15 07:03 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Ted]  
TonyB Online content
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Twin Cities
Te best thing I learned about at Piano World (so far) is about the Roland V-Grand. Living in a condo, these are the products that can provide me the (so far) closest experience to a "real" piano (as many seem to phrase it. Thanks go out to pv-88, bennevis, and EssBrace for this.

Also, I have gotten a lot of information about self-teaching methods and approaches.

Really, both of these items are of equal importance, since one would simply not do without the other.

Tony

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2487045 - 12/03/15 05:34 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Celdor Offline
Celdor  Offline

Originally Posted by D7K
Ok, list the one thing you've learned here (in any forum) that you think did the most for your piano playing.

Preparation to recitals. I have been given absolutely amazing and 100% constructive advices regarding practising for recitals. Many thanks to: earlofmar, dmd, Stubbie, zrtf90, BrianDX, SwissMS smile

I also play with headphones and used to keep volume on 50% but it was my teacher who changed that. Now, I tend to play without headphones which feels great when I can actually listen to piano more naturally smile

Last edited by Celdor; 12/03/15 05:47 AM.

Zbigniew

[Linked Image]
#2491247 - 12/16/15 07:49 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: markmilo]  
D7K Offline
D7K  Offline

About time to add a second thing I've learned that was greatly helpful. Play every day no matter how long.I now keep some easy pop stuff on the music stand and when I don't feel well or too busy with life, I fire up the PX5S and just play a piece that I know once or twice - its lifts my spirit and I don't feel the pressure of not having played.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
#2491484 - 12/17/15 03:57 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Noonie Offline
Noonie  Offline

Hands separate (HS)...slowly. HS up to tempo. Hands together (HT)...slowly. HT up to tempo. I like learning, and the process of learning, and while my teacher would have me do this when learning new songs, she didn't say it so clearly as I've read here.

#2491678 - 12/18/15 08:18 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Noonie]  
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Originally Posted by Noonie
Hands separate (HS)...slowly. HS up to tempo. Hands together (HT)...slowly. HT up to tempo. I like learning, and the process of learning, and while my teacher would have me do this when learning new songs, she didn't say it so clearly as I've read here.

Great to hear Noonie; Just to take note, there are many posters here in ABF that do not subscribe to this method. But that's OK.

However, both my teacher and the publishers of my lesson books recommend this technique. I have found through trial and error that this works best for me as well.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho: "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
Curriculum: Faber PA Level 5; Faber DA Book 3
Current: St. Anthony's Chorale (Haydn) (AR); Fanfare on America (Trad.) (AR);
#2494922 - 12/29/15 07:23 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: markmilo]  
Johan B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Johan B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The Netherlands, Grootegast-Gr...
Originally Posted by markmilo
I'm new to Piano World. I just want to thank you for the words about process. As a writer, I yearn to just crank out work - but I've learned to actually love the re-write process; thinking quite technically about structure, character development and relationships, even to the sound of words and rhythm of phrases. That's what puts me in the flow, and my work has improved considerably.

Now getting back to the piano after many years, I starting to find that I can still love Rubinstein (and more and more these days, Schiff), but I'm learning to love learning. When I don't, I just get frustrated that I'm not Rubinstein and never will be, and then I just want to quit.

Now I'm pulling myself out of that trap, and starting to really love the process. As someone else said, love the process, not the goal. I'd add, love the process and the goal will take care of itself.

For me, integrating that is a MAJOR step forward both in playing and in life.

So thank you all for the inspiration. I'm so glad I found these forums!

Markmilo,

Welcome on board......PW is a nice place to be....among pianofriends......you will find all kind of interesting things......about piano's, digital piano's, grandpiano's.....abput what other members are playing......digital recitals.......

You will enjoy it.

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
https://m.youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
#2505652 - 01/30/16 08:32 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Medved1 Offline
Medved1  Offline

New York
"Best things I've learned on Piano World" - the kind and good humored support for piano and music as a process, rather than a result. What a lift at the end of a long day to sit down and learn something. I loved the comment from markmilo that "I'm learning to love learning". So easy to forget in today's world, so important for mental health and "staying power" in the face of whatever life throws at you.

Last edited by Medved1; 01/30/16 08:46 PM. Reason: add quote

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
#2507239 - 02/04/16 04:14 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
agraffe Online sad
agraffe  Online Sad

Phoenix, AZ
I learned about Hutchins & Rea sheet music store in Atlanta: What a wonderful resource! IMSLP is more comprehensive, and free, but one has to use copies from the printer.

Also, I discovered the value of coming in physical contact with the keyboard every day, even if I am not able to take it much further than that (on a given day).

I am pondering the wisdom of not beginning at the beginning of a piece when I practice (though I am not fully certain/convinced why this should be so).

#2513175 - 02/21/16 09:33 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
TonyB Online content
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Twin Cities
There are more things that I realize I learned here as I go along. Much of the time, I use headphones when playing my Roland V-Grand Digital Piano (DP), since I live in a condo. I have a couple of models that I have tweaked for this purpose and they sound just fine. From time to time, I will use the speaker system during the day. On the V-Grand, it is a powerful system, with 4 60 watt amplifiers and several speakers in a multi-channel arrangement.

A couple of people have mentioned that when practicing on a DP, we should turn the volume up high to approach the dynamics of an acoustic piano, otherwise, we end up learning to pound on the keys instead of finessing them to get the sound we want.

Much of the time when practicing with headphones, I keep the sound turned down, which clearly I should not be doing. I find that when I use the speaker system, I can clearly tell that I am playing the keys too hard, and then I have to turn the volume way up so I can play more softly to get a decent sound and have "headroom" for dynamics.

There are all manner of tips in these forums that can slip by us at the time we read them, but recall when we are looking for a solution to a particular situation we find ourselves in. This is one of those cases. I wonder how many people, when trying out DPs looking to purchase, remember to do this. The sound is much better when we do, as is the dynamic response of the DP, especially on a truly high end instrument such as the V-Grand or V-Piano and the newer line of Roland consumer-market instruments.

Tony

Last edited by TonyB; 02/21/16 09:34 AM.
#2516986 - 03/03/16 06:34 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Major Keys Offline
Major Keys  Offline

Sydney, AU
The main thing so far is that my experience is pretty normal. I'm not learning at a very fast rate but I'm progressing. When I'm encountering things that I find difficult this place has taught me that I'm not the first to find those things and I won't be the last.

With perseverance, studious attention and some experimentation, you can find a way through.

#2541614 - 05/20/16 05:43 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Sandy Fry Offline
Sandy Fry  Offline

SoCal
For me...it has been the help and advice I have been given by the wonderful folks here on the forum.
Although I am a complete beginner ( age 52 ) with no prior musical knowledge, everyone has treated my ( probably heard a zillion times before )questions with respect and patience.

Thank you all.

David

#2550481 - 06/19/16 10:26 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Just Steven Offline
Just Steven  Offline

When I was little, my music teacher taught me the best thing in music; that is learning by ear all the scales, arpeggios, and chords. I thought it was boring and worthless until one day when it suddenly clicks. They make playing music so much easier.

Last edited by Just Steven; 06/19/16 10:30 AM.
#2572619 - 09/20/16 10:03 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
InnaGrace Offline
InnaGrace  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
I've only been on the forums for about a month, but have learned a TON:
- that I love geeking out with fellow pianists! smile
- great advice regarding my purchase of a digital piano (settled on a Roland HP605 - LOVE it)
- that there exist amateur competitions for adults
- that I'm actually excited to give those a shot someday (!!)
- that we have our own quarterly recitals here!
- that in order to be able to play pain-free (long-standing tendinitis injury) I need to re-train with a good teacher
- that this may take a long time, and I need to focus on pain-free playing rather than any other goal right now
- that others here have traveled the same path and can now play without issues
- that there are tons of resources, and folks are happy to help
- that Opus numbers are quite arbitrary
- that everyone at times struggles with motivation (and that reading the forums actually increases my motivation!)
- that there are many ways to learn longer pieces and difficult passages, not just from the beginning, hands separately and slowly - you can also dive into the middle of the piece and work on the most challenging passages first, then reward yourself with the easier ones in between; and you can break challenging passages into tiny pieces each of which is easier and then connect them
- that Mozart isn't "easy" (as I had thought for years), but requires a "cleanliness" and consistency of playing that's actually quite challenging
- and, my favorite one so far (with thanks to Tubbie0075) - that the key to playing Chopin is to always keep the tension going, whether that means slowing down or speeding up, louder or softer; what a PERFECT way to look at it!

So excited to continue my journey here with you all!

#2595783 - 12/18/16 10:48 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
rodirgo Offline
rodirgo  Offline

For me, as an adult self taught beginner reading lots of posts, the best advice was don't be that affraid of pieces, just be patient and practice a lot!

#2601074 - 01/04/17 04:54 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Wuffski Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wuffski  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Europe (Northern Spain)
I learned that nobody on the Piano World forum would ever tell me that I won't make it to become a pianist, although my progress is a total flop. And if I purchase an acoustic piano and upload a photo of it then I will be told how beautiful it looks, although it is just the same black polished wooden box like any other piano is.

In other words, I learned that even fools like me are respectfully treated and this forum is thus the one very best forum in all the Internet. THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU!

#2619949 - 03/03/17 12:04 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
oscar1 Offline
oscar1  Offline

I learned that I have a long way to go to become any kind of player.... but I also learned to appreciate the dedication and work others put into it.

Last edited by oscar1; 03/03/17 12:05 PM.

Casio PX-860, PX-150, Casio XW-P1, Roland FA08 and coffee.
#2633588 - 04/17/17 12:28 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Kymber  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

MA
That I'm not the only one struggling with [fill in the blank].

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
#2638258 - 04/30/17 10:55 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
sara elizabeth Offline
sara elizabeth  Offline

I've learned a lot. Number 1 most helpful is about learning s l o w l y and carefully with zero mistakes so that you don't practice them in. This improved my playing immensely. It can't be overstated how much of an impact that made.

Second was how the ignore function works.

#2638510 - 05/01/17 03:01 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Theory Grl Offline
Theory Grl  Offline

Oklahoma
I've learned that I'm not the only senior out there re-starting piano after many years of not playing. Since I started as an adult some 40 years ago, I'm also not the only person who never took lessons or played as a child. It has helped me to not feel so alone in my undertakings and has given me the courage to continue. All the practice tips have also been great, especially the slow practice and breaking things down into small segments. I love Piano World.

#2638557 - 05/01/17 04:20 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
J van E Offline
J van E  Offline

The most important thing I have learned here is that there is a great book called Fundamental Keys. wink Which learned me the proper way to learn pieces (slowly and in parts) and how important articulation etc. are to let the music come alive. And which gives me perfect graded classical pieces to practice.

Oh, and one thing I actually learned on this forum is that it is (somehow) okay to make (little) mistakes (as long as you keep the piece going in style) or alter a piece if you can't play it physically. I always thought piano plagers were perfect... wink

Last edited by J van E; 05/01/17 04:28 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my perfect piano
by vais4pianists. 06/22/17 10:47 AM
Used QRS midi strip /Pianodisk midi strip
by Marc NY. 06/22/17 09:42 AM
1899 Knabe Concert Grand
by Keith D Kerman. 06/22/17 09:29 AM
Returning to Piano after awhile
by acdyer23. 06/22/17 06:38 AM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,389
Posts2,638,175
Members88,153
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission