Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Ad
Schumann's 4th Finger
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved
Who's Online
125 registered (ajames, alexcawley, 36251, anamnesis, AdrianR, Almaviva, 27 invisible), 1397 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2392508 - 03/01/15 02:29 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
_silvia_ Offline

Loc: Southeast PA, USA
It takes years of hard work to start playing decently. But many people here are doing it or have already accomplished that. "Decently" means different things to different people, therefore my definiton is no worse than the next person's.

Learn to read intervals - this is useful in the long run.

Practice in chunks of time - 20 minutes per piece or several times throughout the day, every day.

This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2393078 - 03/02/15 10:06 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: _silvia_]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Originally Posted By _silvia_
It takes years of hard work to start playing decently. But many people here are doing it or have already accomplished that. "Decently" means different things to different people, therefore my definiton is no worse than the next person's.

Learn to read intervals - this is useful in the long run.

Practice in chunks of time - 20 minutes per piece or several times throughout the day, every day.

This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

I agree with the feeling of connectedness. I do not post daily but read every night before bed.

#2393201 - 03/03/15 08:00 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
WiseBuff Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
It is a journey and we are not alone. There are ups and downs in the learning and the motivation and the success. Talking about the learning makes it more fun and sometimes helps us discover ways around the obstacles.

Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo

#2393773 - 03/04/15 01:33 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I've decided that the best thing I've learned was to get a good teacher. Yesterday, I had another great session with my teacher. There's no way I could have advanced as far as I have without my teacher.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2394199 - 03/05/15 11:40 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
The best thing I've learned was to understand that I'm not alone in this journey.

The 2nd thing I've learned was that I memorize pieces with ease, so I can play by memory any piece I've learned in the past years. I only understood that I had this "skill" after reading a post about "How to memorize a piece?" - I thought that memorizing was a natural process for every player.

SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2394320 - 03/05/15 04:12 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Tuneless Offline

Loc: AZ, USA
Ha! Non-existent in some. frown

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.

#2394461 - 03/05/15 10:02 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: CarlosCC]
HalfStep Offline

Originally Posted By CarlosCC
The best thing I've learned was to understand that I'm not alone in this journey.

The 2nd thing I've learned was that I memorize pieces with ease, so I can play by memory any piece I've learned in the past years. I only understood that I had this "skill" after reading a post about "How to memorize a piece?" - I thought that memorizing was a natural process for every player.

Ha, I wish! Reading is one thing, memorizing, for me, poses an entirely different challenge.

#2394576 - 03/06/15 08:15 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: HalfStep]
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: First Town, First State
In some ways being able to memorize pieces quickly can be an issue. For me, once I have pretty much memorized any piece, I tend to back off on really reading the notes on the page.

I think this leads to other issues.
Current: The Swan (Saint-Saens) (AR); St. Louis Blues (Handy) (AR)

#2394636 - 03/06/15 11:02 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: BrianDX]
CarlosCC Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By BrianDX
In some ways being able to memorize pieces quickly can be an issue. For me, once I have pretty much memorized any piece, I tend to back off on really reading the notes on the page.

In my case it's not just "quickly"; it's also "permanent". I do nothing to memorize; I even don't think about that.

SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

#2394808 - 03/06/15 05:18 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: BrianDX]
HalfStep Offline

Originally Posted By BrianDX

I agree! I've found the that when I memorize something ( like a small section)I will not read and get lost when I look back at the music. My daughter is younger so I make sure she's sight reading and playing new things all of the time. She memorizes easily and that adversely affected her reading early on. I've definitely remedied that.

#2398555 - 03/15/15 07:25 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: _silvia_]
8 Octaves Offline

Gold Supporter until July 22 2015

Loc: USA

+1. I also find the international nature of this forum inspiring, that so many people from every corner of the planet share very much the same dream to learn piano and support each other. International organizations have something to learn from us.

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year
and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” - Bill Gates

#2398597 - 03/15/15 10:06 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: western MA, USA
Best thing I've learned here -- That there can be musical communities that are really all about love of the music.

Working on:
Beethoven, Diabelli Variations
Barber, Souvenirs
Mozart, Magic Flute (piano/celesta part)
Stravinsky, Symphony of Psalms, arranging accompaniment for four hands

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music

#2398663 - 03/16/15 01:37 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: 8 Octaves]
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By 8 Octaves
+1. I also find the international nature of this forum inspiring, that so many people from every corner of the planet share very much the same dream to learn piano and support each other. International organizations have something to learn from us.

I wholeheartedly concur with the above comments. I was particularly struck by the International aspect of our community this evening while listening to the submissions to the ABF Schumann Recital. Isn't it amazing how classical music can bring people together !! thumb

#2398809 - 03/16/15 11:49 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Tralexer Offline

Live for the process, not the goal.

If your only motivation to play is some goal in the future (such as playing a specific piece, or being better than your neighbor), you will view practice as work for fulfilling a goal, rather than viewing the process as the reward, as the part of your day you look forward to.

When you start to live for the process of practicing, your practice becomes playing, and you create a motivation that is purely intrinsic. You will improve, you will enjoy yourself, and every time you sit in front of your 88 keys, you will be exactly where you want to be in your journey of a beautiful instrument.

#2399505 - 03/17/15 11:21 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Tralexer]
HalfStep Offline

Originally Posted By Octaves_Up
Live for the process, not the goal.

If your only motivation to play is some goal in the future (such as playing a specific piece, or being better than your neighbor), you will view practice as work for fulfilling a goal, rather than viewing the process as the reward, as the part of your day you look forward to.

When you start to live for the process of practicing, your practice becomes playing, and you create a motivation that is purely intrinsic. You will improve, you will enjoy yourself, and every time you sit in front of your 88 keys, you will be exactly where you want to be in your journey of a beautiful instrument.

Regardless of what information is being conveyed many negate the concept of "process." The outcome is revered but the application is underrated. That is, I appreciate your stance.

#2412199 - 04/20/15 06:12 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spain
I've learnt I am not the only one trying to start with the piano after her 40s, and some other things I've been reading about. I can't even remember exactly, but I was getting ideas before buying my first piano like one month ago.

I am learning I have lots to learn… laugh smile

#2412334 - 04/21/15 03:30 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Albunea]
peterws Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
A lot of people here have started late in life. It`s no barrier to achievement either. Stuff on the recitals and piano bar bear testimony top that. Have fun! It can be hard work at times. That`s the time to have a break.

""

#2412353 - 04/21/15 05:24 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hello, peterws smile Recitals and piano bar sounds good. I'll have to find that place.

#2412861 - 04/22/15 02:42 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Agfinguy Offline

Loc: Florida
I don't post every day but read it everyday.. one thing I learned early on (3 months ago.. lol) Get the piano tuned!

huge difference and it felt great when I sat down on the bench..

Alfreds Self-Teaching Adult Piano Course
Started 1 Jan 2015
Kimball Upright Piano
Yamaha YPT-240

#2418427 - 05/08/15 05:38 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Charles Cohen Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
Quote:
. . . This community makes me feel connected to mature, sensible, intelligent people who conciously pursue hard work, support one another and share their experiences productively and respectfully. This might sound a bit dull on the outside, but is such a refreshing difference from the way we live now and use social media.

YES ! YES !

. Charles

#2418808 - 05/09/15 10:21 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

That I enjoy the people who are even more nerdy and geeky about Piano than me. Even when I don't understand a thing that goes on in the Piano Tuners forum!

#2423454 - 05/22/15 08:13 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Smurfette Offline

Loc: Scotland
A couple of years ago, I had bought some books with the intention to self teach until I got stuck. I didn't join here, but read some posts and realised that the advice was solid, that a good teacher is even more important at the beginning, as unlearning bad habits would be difficult.

So I decided to be patient and wait till I could have regular lessons ( although it will be fortnightly, not weekly at this point). I think it was the right decision, but without this forum I would have plunged right in at the deep end and tried to run before I could crawl.

I occasionally came back and lurked, and the way you all encourage each other is great motivation to keep going when it gets hard.

XL

Kawai CA 97

#2424482 - 05/24/15 11:59 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Springmissy Offline

Loc: Greece
I would love to have a teacher but after paying for lots of activities for my kids (including music) I can't afford it, so the best thing I've learnt here is rather than struggle along with books to teach myself, there is pianomarvel.com, and I think it's brilliant!

#2424557 - 05/25/15 08:54 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Springmissy]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Springmissy
I would love to have a teacher but after paying for lots of activities for my kids (including music) I can't afford it, so the best thing I've learnt here is rather than struggle along with books to teach myself, there is pianomarvel.com, and I think it's brilliant!
thumb I agree the learning tools and approaches available to us nowadays are amazing. For Piano some of them border on miracles!

#2424558 - 05/25/15 08:57 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

The best guiding principle I've picked up, is that all practice and learning should be focused on getting better control ... with the end goal being mastery. Mastery of yourself 1st and the instrument 2nd ...

wow

#2424564 - 05/25/15 09:21 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Albunea Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ok, Groove On, now I'll have to start a thread to ask what is "Control at the piano".

#2424580 - 05/25/15 10:03 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Albunea]
Groove On Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By Albunea
Ok, Groove On, now I'll have to start a thread to ask what is "Control at the piano".

thumb Whee!

#2432454 - 06/16/15 12:07 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: earlofmar]
RyanDavidDwyer Offline

Loc: Oregon
Earl,

I signed up for Piano World forum a long time ago and might be active regularly. It will be interesting to see what people have written and what they will write! I've already seen some intriguing posts and responses. You've written over 2000 times I see. Impressive!

-Ryan
"You've had the keys all along!"
503-479-8631 Office
http://www.ryandaviddwyer.com

#2434427 - 06/22/15 10:27 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]
Moonsh1ne Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I've learned that if I spend half as much time at the piano as I do on Piano World, I may turn out to be a pretty decent pianist after all.

#2434480 - 06/22/15 12:40 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Moonsh1ne]
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Orig. land of Svear&Götar
That means about 6 hrs per day in the forum?
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #72 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
What's Hot!!
New Forums Location & New Piano World Site
---------------------
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player!
Sweetwater Hiring Keyboard Player
(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
(ad)
A. Geyer Pianos
A. Geyer Pianos
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Music Theme Scarves

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sampletekk Black 70% off
by TheodorN
04/28/17 06:03 PM
MIT Piano Drop
by WhoDwaldi
04/28/17 05:35 PM
Possible to disable internal sounds on Yamaha P60 keyboard?
by Fscotte
04/28/17 03:58 PM
In the middle of choosing a piano concerto
by chrisyip789
04/28/17 02:57 PM
In Search Of The World's Greatest Pianos!
by Rich D.
04/28/17 02:54 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Stats
87,549 Registered Members
44 Forums
179,270 Topics
2,620,245 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission