Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
86 registered members (Almaviva, 36251, ando, AlanB, accordeur, 25 invisible), 1,841 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2375659 - 01/19/15 09:00 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
alans Offline
alans  Offline

I've learned it's never too late to start a new instrument and never give up.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2375720 - 01/20/15 12:50 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: casinitaly]  
musdan Offline
1000 Post Club Member
musdan  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by casinitaly
I think one of the most important things I've learned is that "it isn't just me" -- it really does take a lot time to gain the necessary skills, and I have to be patient with myself. Knowing that others struggle with the baby steps and are impatience with (lack of) progress, really helps me hang in there when I feel I am crawling rather than stepping. It helps me keep my perspective.

(Yes, ok, I still need reminders every now and then!)

I second and third what you have written and I have a great teacher thanks to a Piano World friend whose name try as I might can't remember. Thank you Piano World smile

Last edited by musdan; 01/20/15 12:52 AM.
#2375784 - 01/20/15 07:12 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: musdan]  
Rerun Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rerun  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Louisiana

The best thing I've learned here so far is that playing by ear is not a gift, it can be learned ... + a few members here told me where to go online to get that training. Paid off big time.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

#2375797 - 01/20/15 08:26 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Silver Keys Offline
Silver Keys  Offline

Upstate N.Y.
To make periodic recordings to critique myself and to measure my progress.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2375806 - 01/20/15 09:13 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: alans]  
EM Deeka Offline
EM Deeka  Offline

Originally Posted by alans
I've learned it's never too late to start a new instrument and never give up.

+1 And enjoy the journey ....

#2377365 - 01/23/15 11:18 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
MH1963 Offline
MH1963  Offline

1) I learned how to shop for a piano. This site helped me through two piano upgrades. Until I came here it had not occurred to me that part of the reason I sounded so bad and did not enjoy practice was that my original horrid old piano should have been firewood 80 years ago.

2) MOYD has helped me to get my practice schedule going, so consistency and understanding of good practice techniques were important lessons learned.

Oongawa

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]

Working on: Chopin - Mazurka 7 No. 2 / The Prayer - Coates Arrangement / Einaudi - Nefeli
#2377435 - 01/24/15 06:26 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Tararex Offline
Tararex  Offline

Middle Georgia, USA
1. Slow down, they all said again and again. I thought, "What? My beginner's default speed is near non-movement so how do I slow down?
A year or so later when each tiny incremental increase in speed brought out a joyful "Yippee, I'm learning!" the last thing I wanted to do is slow down.
Finally, three years into the process it became clear. Slow down before it all goes sideways. Really. Slow down.

2. Try to find a good teacher if time and finances allow. We tend to work only our strengths. The teacher will find and work those annoying weaknesses.

3. Don't get discouraged when the swarm of adult responsibilities gets in the way. When the gnats get thick and piano practice has to take a back seat even five minutes a day on the keys will continue forward momentum.

4. Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.

5. Selecting a piano is as personal as selecting a best friend. With benefits.

Last edited by Tararex; 01/24/15 06:28 AM. Reason: sp

[Linked Image]

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.

#2377808 - 01/25/15 01:35 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
MarieJ Offline
MarieJ  Offline

Queensland Australia
Only ONE best thing? Where to start?!

The very first which comes to mind is finding out that there are companies out there that will spiral bind your music albums. Thank you to whoever recommended it; I've now had all of mine done. I'd never have thought of it, and yet it makes so much difference.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-XLVI

An hour or two with my Yamaha C3 and Einaudi's music - my idea of happiness.
#2377965 - 01/25/15 02:14 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Tararex]  
Stubbie Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stubbie  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Tararex
............ 4. Piano is hard work from beginning to forever. Accept this as truth or risk a quick exit with tail between legs.........

+1 This would serve well as our new ABF slogan.

[Linked Image]
#2378003 - 01/25/15 04:05 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
curlyfries Offline
curlyfries  Offline

One of the best things I ever learned, only one of the best, that I will mention- the simple rule I first learned here which is why I came here. An accidentaled note is sharped, flatted, naturaled on the same following notes in that measure/bar but only if it is in the same octave. I don't believe I have ever read that in any workbook or theory book.

Last edited by LindaR; 01/25/15 04:07 PM. Reason: the the

#2378031 - 01/25/15 04:59 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Mark Cerisano Online content
3000 Post Club Member
Mark Cerisano  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I was taught every note in the bar after the accidental, no matter what octave, is affected by the accidental. I would use courtesy accidentals just to make sure. The issue is not who's right, but more how can we reduce ambiguity.

Oh, my best thing?
P5 in equal temperament beat 0.5 beats per second narrow, not 0.25, which I thought and taught for years!

Also, that posting on a public forum is a skill in itself.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 01/25/15 05:02 PM.

Mark Cerisano, RPT, B.Sc.(Mech.Eng), Dip.Ed.(Music)
www.howtotunepianos.com
#2378123 - 01/25/15 09:45 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
curlyfries Offline
curlyfries  Offline

It is a rule they don't want n in writing. One of those things for those in the know.

#2378332 - 01/26/15 02:43 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Lexington, Kentucky
1.) PW introduced me to the music of Ludovico Einaudi and David Nevue. 'Nuff said.

2.) Concentrate on setting the "fractures" in a piece (i.e., playing a few measures before, during, and after a particularly tricky passage).

3.) Don't just practice a tricky section until you play it right. Once you get it right, play it again until you can play it 7 times in a row correctly.

Mason & Hamlin A -- 91997
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2382012 - 02/03/15 08:45 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: curlyfries]  
EM Deeka Offline
EM Deeka  Offline

Originally Posted by LindaR
One of the best things I ever learned, only one of the best, that I will mention- the simple rule I first learned here which is why I came here. An accidentaled note is sharped, flatted, naturaled on the same following notes in that measure/bar but only if it is in the same octave. I don't believe I have ever read that in any workbook or theory book.

See for eg:
Theory Essentials 2nd ed. Connie E. Mayfield
p8 Ch I The Basics of Reading Music
When any accidental (sharp, flat, or natural) is placed in a measure of music, it stays in
effect on that particular line or space until the end of the measure, a segment of music de-lineated by a vertical line (or bar line) crossing all lines of the staff. The accidental does not
affect any other line or space on the staff, including other lines or spaces that have the same
letter name
. It is canceled by the next bar line or by a natural sign within the same measure.
This is an important rule to remember when naming notes, because a single accidental can
affect several other notes within a measure.

Practical Theory Complete A Self-instruction Music Theory Course - Sandy Feldstein
p29 Lesson 27

Flats, sharps and naturals are called ACCIDENTAL signs.
When they are placed before a note, they affect every note on the same line or space for an entire measure.
A natural sign cancels the flat or sharp within the same measure.
A bar line also cancels an accidental.
When a note is tied across the bar line, it's accidental carries acros also.

#2382017 - 02/03/15 08:54 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: Monica K.]  
TonyB Online content
1000 Post Club Member
TonyB  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Twin Cities
Originally Posted by Monica K.
1.) PW introduced me to the music of Ludovico Einaudi and David Nevue. 'Nuff said.

2.) Concentrate on setting the "fractures" in a piece (i.e., playing a few measures before, during, and after a particularly tricky passage).

3.) Don't just practice a tricky section until you play it right. Once you get it right, play it again until you can play it 7 times in a row correctly.

Monica - I have to say that your Youtube videos are an inspiration for me. Someday, I intend to be playing like you already can.

Regards,

Tony

#2382077 - 02/03/15 11:44 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
Bobpickle  Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Cameron Park, California
How much I lacked discipline to master the skill (or really any, for that matter). This humbling realization has really helped me out in all aspects of life, let alone simply improving at the instrument.

"[The trick to life isn't] just about living forever. The trick is still living with yourself forever."
#2382079 - 02/03/15 11:47 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Valencia Offline
500 Post Club Member
Valencia  Offline
500 Post Club Member

...the wonderfulness of piano friends.

#2382758 - 02/05/15 03:53 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
vevurka Offline
vevurka  Offline

Europe

I met a lot of wonderful piano friends here and received a lot of encouragment, which helped me with my piano goals. I love being here and I hope I'll not be kicked from this subforum.

#2382809 - 02/05/15 05:53 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: vevurka]  
earlofmar Online content
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Australia
Originally Posted by verqueue

I met a lot of wonderful piano friends here and received a lot of encouragment, which helped me with my piano goals. I love being here and I hope I'll not be kicked from this subforum.

that will never happen, we value your opinions too much as well as enjoy being reading about your journey.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#2383346 - 02/07/15 09:36 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
tbonesays Online content
tbonesays  Online Content

Phoenix
that "beginners" speak in an strangely advanced and unknown language.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
#2383417 - 02/07/15 01:30 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
500 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
I've learned some new skills in dissecting and analyzing problems/methods of study, through somewhat heated debates.

Working through Czerny's first baby beginning steps for classical piano.
Hoping to graduate well within two years of study. Now at #75 of Opus 599 and behind schedule.
#2383939 - 02/08/15 08:16 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: tbonesays]  
Finfan Offline
Finfan  Offline

Arizona USA
Originally Posted by tbonesays

Amen friend! When I first looked at the postings here I was thinking "These are beginners!!!!!"

So far for me the most useful thing I've learned is that there are You Tube videos of the lessons in Alfred's Adult Beginner's book. Those have been extremely useful for me!

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
#2385037 - 02/11/15 05:45 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
MikeOnKey Offline
MikeOnKey  Offline

Brooklyn, NY
The most important lesson I've learned here: Piano is a long term project. no matter how hard i work or practice, it's going to take a long while. Play every day for a year and you are still at the beginning of the learning curve. i need to remind myself of this when things get frustrating (and it is VERY much at times)

Loving/Suffering through Alfred's Adult Book #1
#2385044 - 02/11/15 06:12 PM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: tbonesays]  
EM Deeka Offline
EM Deeka  Offline

Originally Posted by tbonesays

.... which could be easily picked up wink

#2386423 - 02/15/15 12:40 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
rnaple Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
rnaple  Offline

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014

Rocky Mountains
The absolute best thing I have learned from piano world. And I wouldn't have found it without piano world.
Artistry Alliance

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2386478 - 02/15/15 04:05 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: curlyfries]  
TheHappyPianoMuse Offline
500 Post Club Member
TheHappyPianoMuse  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hawaii

I really have to share a "student" tale here. I had a very serious little girl studying with me years ago. She was very anxious to learn and obeyed my every instruction to the letter. One day I explained to her the rules of the "accidentals" ... carefully pointing out that they applied to only one measure and only one octave. I thought I'd given a stellar explanation until the following week when she came for her lesson. We opened her music and I noticed she had carefully applied "white-out" to every accidental. I was puzzled and asked her why.

"Oh Miss .... you told me they were "accidents" so I took them out."

Sometimes you have to be careful what you say to a very conscientious student. laugh

#2386506 - 02/15/15 05:46 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: curlyfries]  
MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
MRC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Germany

See Elaine Gould's Behind Bars (the current "bible" of music notation), page 78:

"An accidental holds good for the duration of a bar. It applies only to the pitch at which it is written: each additional octave requires a further accidental"

Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Casio PX-150 digital (2013), Yamaha NU1 hybrid (2014)
#2386934 - 02/16/15 10:00 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: zrtf90]  
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
griffin2417  Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Originally Posted by Jytte
Seems that "it comes with practice" is the answer to most of our questions...
I would prefer to say it comes with experience. Practise should be something deliberate. wink

Like dynamobt, I think the recitals are the best thing. There are several resources on the 'net for increasing the efficiency of our practise but the one I remember most begins with "Listen!" (Dr. Brent Hugh).

There's nothing that lifts our performance or ability more than careful listening and nothing that makes us listen more than making a recording for others.

Yes, I am finally understanding this. Because you encouraged me to be in the ABF recital I now see how I can incorporate recording into my regular practice sessions. I'm starting my session today with the Mozart Fantasia I'm working on!

Carl

#2387829 - 02/18/15 09:51 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: D7K]  
Qazsedcft Online content
500 Post Club Member
Qazsedcft  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Toronto, Canada
For me it was: Get a teacher!

I now realize just how ridiculous it was to try to learn on my own. smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
#2388609 - 02/20/15 09:50 AM Re: The best thing I've learned on Piano World.... [Re: earlofmar]  
barbaram Offline
500 Post Club Member
barbaram  Offline

500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by earlofmar
Originally Posted by verqueue

that will never happen, we value your opinions too much as well as enjoy being reading about your journey.

+1

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To Shake up the Digital Piano scene?
by peterws. 06/22/17 06:08 PM
HELP: Lirika String Measurements
by Lirika. 06/22/17 05:01 PM
Chopin Revolutionary Etude - Tempo?
by hag01. 06/22/17 02:25 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics180,398
Posts2,638,313
Members88,164
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Check It Out!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission