Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (AAC127, Beardog, anotherscott, Bill-ICPT, accordeur, APassionatePianist, agraffe, Alex Hutor, AaronSF, 30 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373799
01/15/15 11:37 AM
01/15/15 11:37 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by frankb
pwl, EM Deeka and Rerun...Thanks so much for your responses. I will certainly
give the sites a look...

BUT I think I will gain so much more if I had an actual opportunity to have one on one in person lessons using these approaches(rather than via the internet).

Anyone on the forum have any experience finding a teacher with the inclination to do so?? Do you think it is possible for me to find one?

I am so new to this "I dont know what I dont know" nor do I know what questions to ask of the potential teacher.

* Advertisement deleted *

Last edited by BB Player; 01/15/15 03:31 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373828
01/15/15 12:50 PM
01/15/15 12:50 PM
New York City
R
RonDrotos Offline
RonDrotos  Offline
R

New York City
Hi Frank,

I'd recommend learning 10-20 simple pop songs and carols with just melody and chords. Start with Jingle Bells, Silent Night, and the 'A' section of Hey Jude. Do this for 3 months and you'll have an excellent foundation for going forward, whether from leadsheets or with sheet music, which you can adapt if you don't like the arrangements.

In general with adult beginners, it's best to aim for fluency by starting with LOTS of easy pieces. Once it gets easy, which it will, then you can move into more complex arrangements. Have fun and keep at it smile

Ron Drotos
rondrotos@keyboardimprov.com
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: RonDrotos] #2373837
01/15/15 01:09 PM
01/15/15 01:09 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Online content
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
. . .
BUT I think I will gain so much more if I had an actual opportunity to have one on one in person lessons using these approaches(rather than via the internet).

Anyone on the forum have any experience finding a teacher with the inclination to do so?? Do you think it is possible for me to find one?

I found a teacher (for both voice and piano) who specializes in teaching adult beginners. She spent her early life as a jazz singer, and doesn't do much classical stuff (either voice or piano). We're slowly working through Tim Richards' "Improvising Blues Piano".

I asked her about how comfortable she was teaching classical piano:

. . . "I had a really good classical student recently --
. . . I sent him to someone else for better training."

So such teachers _are_ available.

. Charles

PS -- when someone suggests that you learn twenty or so popular pieces, the first question to ask is:

. . . "How should I do that ?"

which brings the discussion back to where you are.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373852
01/15/15 02:03 PM
01/15/15 02:03 PM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP

Silver Supporter until Dec 8 2019
frankb  Offline OP

F

Northern NJ
Again, I thank all of you for taking the time to respond to my question.

There are a number of really good suggestions and I feel more comfortable now in discussing this with potential teachers.

To Hugh Sung, your website is well done and very informative...learned a lot about pianos, and your unique approach to online courses which I really do like.

At this point I want to see if I can locate a teacher for in person lessons and perhaps supplement with your classes

Thanks again to all of you...

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373874
01/15/15 03:16 PM
01/15/15 03:16 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Again, I thank all of you for taking the time to respond to my question.

There are a number of really good suggestions and I feel more comfortable now in discussing this with potential teachers.

To Hugh Sung, your website is well done and very informative...learned a lot about pianos, and your unique approach to online courses which I really do like.

At this point I want to see if I can locate a teacher for in person lessons and perhaps supplement with your classes

Thanks again to all of you...

Thanks for the kind words! The best part about this is that you're taking the initiative to make your dream come true. It's never to late to start learning!

I wish you all the best in your teacher search! And if you decide to try out lessons with me, I would be delighted to work with you smile

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373914
01/15/15 05:07 PM
01/15/15 05:07 PM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP

frankb  Offline OP

F

Northern NJ
Hugh Sung

thanks for your encouraging words

my wife will be signing up for your classes as soon as our keyboard arrives ..She played organ and clarinet thru high school and feels that the ability to get direct feedback from you is exactly what she needs to get up to speed..she is pretty excited to be getting a "virtual" teacher as accomplished as you

thanks again to you and the other forum members.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374238
01/16/15 10:54 AM
01/16/15 10:54 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Hugh Sung

thanks for your encouraging words

my wife will be signing up for your classes as soon as our keyboard arrives ..She played organ and clarinet thru high school and feels that the ability to get direct feedback from you is exactly what she needs to get up to speed..she is pretty excited to be getting a "virtual" teacher as accomplished as you

thanks again to you and the other forum members.

I look forward to working with your wife and helping her get her piano chops up to speed! Most of all, I hope she has fun discovering the joys of playing the piano!

All the very best,

Hugh

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374521
01/16/15 11:01 PM
01/16/15 11:01 PM
D
Dan O Offline
Dan O  Offline
D

If you can get lessons, take lessons. I wouldn't touch piano, trumpet, or saxophone or clarinet, or tennis or karate or tree pruning or woodcarving without at least some lessons. I think people work too hard to avoid music lessons when they couldn't imagine teaching themselves, say, golf.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374528
01/16/15 11:23 PM
01/16/15 11:23 PM
Florida, USA
M
Mike407 Offline
Mike407  Offline
M

Florida, USA
I'm 66 and a teacher along with Alfreds 1 is working (just started Alfreds 2).

Anyway, do that but after getting started on the basics you can learn easy versions of the music you like as side pieces. An understanding teacher will listen and fine tune as well as move you along with the primary book. As you progress, you can play more satisfying versions of the music you prefer.

It's fun and there's no schedule to meet smile

Mike

103 year old Schmoller and Mueller
Slightly newer Kawai ES 100
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374680
01/17/15 01:16 PM
01/17/15 01:16 PM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP

frankb  Offline OP

F

Northern NJ
Mike407
Thanks for the encouraging words..will take your advice...am meeting with a potential teacher this week..

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374728
01/17/15 03:29 PM
01/17/15 03:29 PM
Hernando, MS
F
fizikisto Offline
1000 Post Club Member
fizikisto  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F

Hernando, MS
FrankB
Good luck with your teacher, I hope that it works out for you. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374861
01/17/15 11:08 PM
01/17/15 11:08 PM
Kuwait
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Kuwait
If you find a system that makes it easy for those of us who are chronologically challenged PLEASE provide full details preferably in large type.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: pwl] #2374920
01/18/15 05:04 AM
01/18/15 05:04 AM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Online content
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
Originally Posted by pwl
Oh, I think the answers to this are going to be fascinating. (I suppose "find a teacher who will teach you what you wish to learn" is an obvious response.) Will anybody defend that teacher who painted the rosy picture (sarcasm alert) that he could play simple classical pieces in about a year? Yeah, just what he asked for!

So you think that's rosy? I did play simple classical pieces after less then half a year. So perhaps a bit to sarcastic?

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: WimPiano] #2374924
01/18/15 06:14 AM
01/18/15 06:14 AM
Australia
E
earlofmar Offline
3000 Post Club Member
earlofmar  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
E

Australia
Originally Posted by wimpiano
Originally Posted by pwl
Oh, I think the answers to this are going to be fascinating. (I suppose "find a teacher who will teach you what you wish to learn" is an obvious response.) Will anybody defend that teacher who painted the rosy picture (sarcasm alert) that he could play simple classical pieces in about a year? Yeah, just what he asked for!

So you think that's rosy? I did play simple classical pieces after less then half a year. So perhaps a bit to sarcastic?

Agreed, there are plenty of early grade classical music within easy reach of the average beginner.

Problems with piano are 90% psychological, the other 10% is in your head.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2375033
01/18/15 01:10 PM
01/18/15 01:10 PM
presently Germany (Danish)
Jytte Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Jytte  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

presently Germany (Danish)
I started playing Bach (menuet in G) 3 weeks in... some of these pieces were made by the 'old masters' for this specific purpose. Next is Tchaikovsky's 'Album for the Young'. So, no, this is not unreasonable.

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2375055
01/18/15 02:02 PM
01/18/15 02:02 PM
D
D7K Offline
D7K  Offline
D

I was your age two years ago, and I bought Emedia's Piano and Keyboard and made sure that I got at least a 90% on each lesson. Over the two years it took me to complete it, at about 6 months I was playing some Pop, some folk, and easy classical stuff. At two years I understand music, can read it pretty well, and can recommend this software. I bought the intermediate which focuses on Jazz/Classical/little pop.

However I bought a "Fake" book off of amazon with nothing but cords for the bass cliff, and the stuff I learned in the Emedia course allowed me to play Piano Man just by sight reading.

I put in an hour a day (took one day off a week except for vacation) and can say it was $49.95 well spent. When I start the intermediate course I'll probably still do it without an instructor, but I can see where have an instructor and a course such as Emedia would be beneficial.

Good luck on your choice.

Jeff
Casio PX-5S Pro - my new adventure
Yamaha p105 - gone but not forgotten
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2375116
01/18/15 04:27 PM
01/18/15 04:27 PM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP

frankb  Offline OP

F

Northern NJ
D&K
Thanks for your recommendations..I'm looking forward to the journey

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: WimPiano] #2375214
01/18/15 08:34 PM
01/18/15 08:34 PM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Offline
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
No, the sarcasm alert was because he wants to learn to play popular songs and the teacher told him all about how he'd be able to play classical pieces.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CA (Cyanoacrylate Adhesive)
by Duaner. 03/24/19 07:59 PM
Nord Stage 3 Keybed vs Stage 2 88
by Coker. 03/24/19 05:21 PM
Anyone learning from Schaum?
by Cheshire Chris. 03/24/19 03:34 PM
Piano room size
by Colin Miles. 03/24/19 12:49 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,102
Posts2,810,403
Members92,866
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission