Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
63 registered members (Angelos58, clothearednincompo, Beemer, cathryn999, Beowulf, Balezin Dmitry, amad23, Alex C, Agent88, 14 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? #2373335
01/14/15 02:53 AM
01/14/15 02:53 AM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP
frankb  Offline OP
F

Northern NJ
Need some advice from this forum. I'm 63 and want to learn to play.

My goal is to be able to play some pop and christmas carols etc.

Given my objective do you think I should find a piano teacher who uses a "shortcut" approach like Scott Houston's Piano in a flash or one who uses a traditional approach?

I spoke to a teacher who said he would take me thru the same lessons he gives his child students so I can learn what sonata's are etc...he said I should be playing simple classical pieces (songs created by the masters for their children) in about one year.

I would like to know from this forum whether the piano in a flash or some other "short cut" method really is a viable option? If so let me know what method worked for you

Thanks in advance for your advice

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373375
01/14/15 05:52 AM
01/14/15 05:52 AM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Online content
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
Oh, I think the answers to this are going to be fascinating. (I suppose "find a teacher who will teach you what you wish to learn" is an obvious response.) Will anybody defend that teacher who painted the rosy picture (sarcasm alert) that he could play simple classical pieces in about a year? Yeah, just what he asked for!

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373377
01/14/15 06:09 AM
01/14/15 06:09 AM
Louisiana
R
Rerun Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rerun  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Louisiana

Hey Frank, I'd say if you want to play pop and carols, etc. by ear, go to this thread and start reading about one pretty good option:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2197001/Searchpage/1/Main/150520/Words/Anderson/Search/true/Re:_Piano_Magic_-_Michael_Ande.html#Post2197001

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373378
01/14/15 06:10 AM
01/14/15 06:10 AM
E
EM Deeka Offline
EM Deeka  Offline
E

Originally Posted by frankb
..he said I should be playing simple classical pieces (songs created by the masters for their children) in about one year.

Leaving out the part in parantheses unfairly skews the teacher's full comment. If the goal is to play classical that is indeed the way to go.

Also there are several options to learn and master a non-classical repertoire. It is certainly not either the traditional approach or shortcut !!

In fact Scott Houston also has a full fledged online course catering to non-classical styles at : [b]Scott Houston how to play all non-classical styles[/b]

If the goal is to play mainly Pop and Carols from Lead Sheet certainly other teachers can be found who have different approaches.

As far as online : you could look at the brand new [b]Online Popular Piano Lessons with Hugh Sung[/b] . The teacher for that course has been promoting the launch on these forums. I believe you can try it out at as a trial. Look at the posts by him here for links to his youtube lesson vdeos.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373380
01/14/15 06:26 AM
01/14/15 06:26 AM
Bay Area CA
P
pwl Online content
Silver Subscriber
pwl  Online Content
Silver Subscriber
P

Bay Area CA
Piano For All is an interesting online course geared to your goals, I believe. Starts off teaching rhythm and chords, giving you tools to play a variety of pop music.

Piano For All

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373386
01/14/15 07:02 AM
01/14/15 07:02 AM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP
frankb  Offline OP
F

Northern NJ
pwl, EM Deeka and Rerun...Thanks so much for your responses. I will certainly
give the sites a look...

BUT I think I will gain so much more if I had an actual opportunity to have one on one in person lessons using these approaches(rather than via the internet).

Anyone on the forum have any experience finding a teacher with the inclination to do so?? Do you think it is possible for me to find one?

I am so new to this "I dont know what I dont know" nor do I know what questions to ask of the potential teacher.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373388
01/14/15 07:09 AM
01/14/15 07:09 AM
E
EM Deeka Offline
EM Deeka  Offline
E

BUT I think I will gain so much more if I had an actual opportunity to have one on one in person lessons using these approaches(rather than via the internet).

Anyone on the forum have any experience finding a teacher with the inclination to do so?? Do you think it is possible for me to find one?

I am so new to this "I dont know what I dont know" nor do I know what questions to ask of the potential teacher.

Use the sites to gain insights on the non-classical approaches so that you can ask the right questions. I am sure others who have teachers will give you more advice on the selection aspects.

Don't forget to post in the teachers forum specifying your location. They can point you to the correct contacts in your area.
Choosing the Right Teacher

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373391
01/14/15 07:41 AM
01/14/15 07:41 AM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP
frankb  Offline OP
F

Northern NJ
EM Deeka..thanks....

To the forum...Am I correct in my thought process: It seems to me that if all I want to do is gain a repertoire of some pop tunes from my youth (eg Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Motown) then starting with the traditional Classic music approach is sort of a detour.....in other words, is the classical music approach a necessary or desirable foundation for me to reach my goal or is it just a diversion that will delay the time it will take me to reach my goal.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373400
01/14/15 08:15 AM
01/14/15 08:15 AM
First Town, First State
BrianDX Offline
2000 Post Club Member
BrianDX  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

First Town, First State
Welcome frankb smile

I'll weigh in here as well. 17 months ago my wife and I (we are both older adults) started lessons with a local teacher with 40 years of experience. She also teaches many adults as well as younger students.

For her beginner adults, she uses the Faber Accelerated Series for the Older Beginner. Now there are many methods of learning out there, and I only have actual experience with Faber and Alfred's.

For us, these books (along with her expert teaching) has been very successful. However, patience is required, as each level (Level 1 and Level 2) have four different books that go together, so it takes a while to progress. However, the Faber step-by-step method of building skills really pays off, as I am seeing now.

It did take 13 months before I learned a classical piece in it's original form (mid-elementary level), however is was worth the wait, and now more slightly-harder classical pieces are being introduced.

However, whichever way you decide to go, understand that there are really no "shortcuts" to the learning process, and regardless what method you choose, your teacher will need to be there with you step-by-step.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: BrianDX] #2373406
01/14/15 08:45 AM
01/14/15 08:45 AM
E
EM Deeka Offline
EM Deeka  Offline
E

In fact the reason there are no real non-classical repertoire based published methods is the cost associated with licensing the use of copyrighted material.

But there are indeed individual teachers who prepare their own teaching plans for pop/jazz students.

Play By Ear is another option that is useful if you have the ability to pick melody lines by ear or just want to use the Lead Sheets with melody and chords. The final arrangement using the chords is done by the player. But ability to read at least the treble clef will be very useful even for a completely Play By Ear player.

I saw your post in the teachers section. It would be advisable to restate your requirement as a Pop,Jazz non-classical preference rather than referring to Scott Houston's Play Piano in a Flash. That will lead to more focused replies rather than lectures on no shortcuts etc.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373425
01/14/15 10:26 AM
01/14/15 10:26 AM
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
findingnemo2010  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Faber Piano Adult Adventures

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373427
01/14/15 10:35 AM
01/14/15 10:35 AM
Chicago, Illinois
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
The FJH Helen Marlais "In Recital" series (there's one specifically for popular music) is graded and will give you a mix of good technique and the "melody and chords" approach. I haven't played the popular series but I have the Christmas and Jazz, Blues and Rags series and they are very fun to work on. They also always include some duets, if you have someone to play along with or a digital piano that can record and play back your own tracks.

http://www.fjhmusic.com/piano/inrecital_pop.htm

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: David Farley] #2373433
01/14/15 10:51 AM
01/14/15 10:51 AM
E
EM Deeka Offline
EM Deeka  Offline
E

Originally Posted by David Farley
The FJH Helen Marlais "In Recital" series (there's one specifically for popular music) is graded and will give you a mix of good technique and the "melody and chords" approach. I haven't played the popular series but I have the Christmas and Jazz, Blues and Rags series and they are very fun to work on. They also always include some duets, if you have someone to play along with or a digital piano that can record and play back your own tracks.

But aren't these considered as Supplementary material to another full-fledged method ?

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: EM Deeka] #2373438
01/14/15 11:03 AM
01/14/15 11:03 AM
Chicago, Illinois
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David Farley  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chicago, Illinois
Originally Posted by EM Deeka
Originally Posted by David Farley

But aren't these considered as Supplementary material to another full-fledged method ?

There's the American Popular Piano series which is a complete method. I haven't used it, but I like Christopher Norton's MicroJazz and Micro-everything-else series.

http://www.nvmusicgroup.com/NV/Publications.html

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373447
01/14/15 11:41 AM
01/14/15 11:41 AM
P
pianolearnerstride Offline
pianolearnerstride  Offline
P

EM Deeka..thanks....

To the forum...Am I correct in my thought process: It seems to me that if all I want to do is gain a repertoire of some pop tunes from my youth (eg Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Motown) then starting with the traditional Classic music approach is sort of a detour.....in other words, is the classical music approach a necessary or desirable foundation for me to reach my goal or is it just a diversion that will delay the time it will take me to reach my goal.

I think you're correct. Traditional classical will mostly be a diversion... there are some very basic common skills like reading music... fingering...

But for the most part, playing non-classical has an entirely different set of skills from classical... you won't get those skills by playing classical music.

I'd say find a teacher that teaches those non-classical styles (pop, rock jazz etc.)

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373462
01/14/15 12:27 PM
01/14/15 12:27 PM
Orig. land of Svear&Götar
R
RaggedKeyPresser Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RaggedKeyPresser  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Orig. land of Svear&Götar
The John Brimhall Piano Method...but it's out of print.

Czerny's Piano School Vol. 1. Reviewing basics/ear training/analysis in interesting exercises.
Opus 599. Now at #77 and giving it a break.
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373470
01/14/15 12:55 PM
01/14/15 12:55 PM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP
frankb  Offline OP
F

Northern NJ
I'm certainly fortunate to have found this forum and thankful to all of you for your information and thoughtful comments...this forum and all of you on it are a wonderful resource

Thanks

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373785
01/15/15 09:40 AM
01/15/15 09:40 AM
Houston, TX
Ataru074 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ataru074  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Houston, TX
I'm going to be the usual jerk... a GOOD teacher is the fastest way to get there you want to get.
At 63, be ready for some good amount of frustration because your brain and your body will struggle the get trained.
The good news is that most likely you will be able to learn enough to play up to your requirements.

I wouldn't waste my time -at any age- with "shortcuts" and others methods resembling more a uses cars salesman advertising that real learning methods.

the keyboards instrument have been around a long time and will be around longer than me and you for sure.
Good teachers that received a formal instruction are qualified to teach you in the quickest way. (in most cases)

Private Piano Teacher. MTNA
working on:
Albeniz: Iberia
Beethoven: Op 53
Bartok: Mikrokosmos vol. 5
Debussy: Estampes
Moszkowski: Op 72
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373792
01/15/15 10:07 AM
01/15/15 10:07 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Midwest USA
How about the Alfred's Adult-All-in-One series? This has been a very popular series for the adult beginner. Take a look at the book AAIO Book 1 and take a look at the huge, on-going AAIO Book 1 thread here on the adult beginners forum. You'll find lots of discussion and support.

You will not find pop tunes in this book (EMDeeka is correct--cost issues for copyrighted material put these out of reach), but there will be many familiar tunes. You will learn your basics and these can be applied to whatever type of music you care to play.

Best of luck to you!

[Linked Image]
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: Stubbie] #2373797
01/15/15 10:30 AM
01/15/15 10:30 AM
E
EM Deeka Offline
EM Deeka  Offline
E

Originally Posted by Stubbie
.. You will learn your basics and these can be applied to whatever type of music you care to play.

In fact, with the right teacher who is aware of your goals, it really does not matter which Method is used. Even the simple folk tunes and traditional melodies and rhymes are used as vehicles to further your skills at the piano. And later you could use these techniques and skills to play any other genre you might want to explore. Just make sure that extra emphasis is not given to some particular aspect that may not be really useful for the repertoire that you plan to acquire. A good teacher will be managing this well.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373799
01/15/15 10:37 AM
01/15/15 10:37 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
pwl, EM Deeka and Rerun...Thanks so much for your responses. I will certainly
give the sites a look...

* Advertisement deleted *

Last edited by BB Player; 01/15/15 02:31 PM.
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373828
01/15/15 11:50 AM
01/15/15 11:50 AM
New York City
R
RonDrotos Offline
RonDrotos  Offline
R

New York City
Hi Frank,

I'd recommend learning 10-20 simple pop songs and carols with just melody and chords. Start with Jingle Bells, Silent Night, and the 'A' section of Hey Jude. Do this for 3 months and you'll have an excellent foundation for going forward, whether from leadsheets or with sheet music, which you can adapt if you don't like the arrangements.

In general with adult beginners, it's best to aim for fluency by starting with LOTS of easy pieces. Once it gets easy, which it will, then you can move into more complex arrangements. Have fun and keep at it smile

Ron Drotos
rondrotos@keyboardimprov.com
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: RonDrotos] #2373837
01/15/15 12:09 PM
01/15/15 12:09 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
. . .

I found a teacher (for both voice and piano) who specializes in teaching adult beginners. She spent her early life as a jazz singer, and doesn't do much classical stuff (either voice or piano). We're slowly working through Tim Richards' "Improvising Blues Piano".

I asked her about how comfortable she was teaching classical piano:

. . . "I had a really good classical student recently --
. . . I sent him to someone else for better training."

So such teachers _are_ available.

. Charles

PS -- when someone suggests that you learn twenty or so popular pieces, the first question to ask is:

. . . "How should I do that ?"

which brings the discussion back to where you are.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373852
01/15/15 01:03 PM
01/15/15 01:03 PM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP
frankb  Offline OP
F

Northern NJ
Again, I thank all of you for taking the time to respond to my question.

There are a number of really good suggestions and I feel more comfortable now in discussing this with potential teachers.

To Hugh Sung, your website is well done and very informative...learned a lot about pianos, and your unique approach to online courses which I really do like.

At this point I want to see if I can locate a teacher for in person lessons and perhaps supplement with your classes

Thanks again to all of you...

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373874
01/15/15 02:16 PM
01/15/15 02:16 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Again, I thank all of you for taking the time to respond to my question.

There are a number of really good suggestions and I feel more comfortable now in discussing this with potential teachers.

To Hugh Sung, your website is well done and very informative...learned a lot about pianos, and your unique approach to online courses which I really do like.

At this point I want to see if I can locate a teacher for in person lessons and perhaps supplement with your classes

Thanks again to all of you...

Thanks for the kind words! The best part about this is that you're taking the initiative to make your dream come true. It's never to late to start learning!

I wish you all the best in your teacher search! And if you decide to try out lessons with me, I would be delighted to work with you smile

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2373914
01/15/15 04:07 PM
01/15/15 04:07 PM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP
frankb  Offline OP
F

Northern NJ
Hugh Sung

thanks for your encouraging words

my wife will be signing up for your classes as soon as our keyboard arrives ..She played organ and clarinet thru high school and feels that the ability to get direct feedback from you is exactly what she needs to get up to speed..she is pretty excited to be getting a "virtual" teacher as accomplished as you

thanks again to you and the other forum members.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374238
01/16/15 09:54 AM
01/16/15 09:54 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Hugh Sung

thanks for your encouraging words

my wife will be signing up for your classes as soon as our keyboard arrives ..She played organ and clarinet thru high school and feels that the ability to get direct feedback from you is exactly what she needs to get up to speed..she is pretty excited to be getting a "virtual" teacher as accomplished as you

thanks again to you and the other forum members.

I look forward to working with your wife and helping her get her piano chops up to speed! Most of all, I hope she has fun discovering the joys of playing the piano!

All the very best,

Hugh

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374521
01/16/15 10:01 PM
01/16/15 10:01 PM
D
Dan O Offline
Dan O  Offline
D

If you can get lessons, take lessons. I wouldn't touch piano, trumpet, or saxophone or clarinet, or tennis or karate or tree pruning or woodcarving without at least some lessons. I think people work too hard to avoid music lessons when they couldn't imagine teaching themselves, say, golf.

Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374528
01/16/15 10:23 PM
01/16/15 10:23 PM
Florida, USA
M
Mike407 Offline
Mike407  Offline
M

Florida, USA
I'm 66 and a teacher along with Alfreds 1 is working (just started Alfreds 2).

Anyway, do that but after getting started on the basics you can learn easy versions of the music you like as side pieces. An understanding teacher will listen and fine tune as well as move you along with the primary book. As you progress, you can play more satisfying versions of the music you prefer.

It's fun and there's no schedule to meet smile

Mike

103 year old Schmoller and Mueller
Slightly newer Kawai ES 100
Re: What is best piano teaching method for senior citizen? [Re: frankb] #2374680
01/17/15 12:16 PM
01/17/15 12:16 PM
Northern NJ
F
frankb Offline OP
frankb  Offline OP
F

Northern NJ
Mike407
Thanks for the encouraging words..will take your advice...am meeting with a potential teacher this week..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sticking sustain on Yamaha and UK 5 year warranty
by pianist007. 11/17/18 04:12 AM
Chopin's 4th Scherzo
by SiFi. 11/17/18 03:18 AM
SEO
by hongthai. 11/17/18 12:30 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,375
Posts2,761,884
Members91,504
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission