2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
OP Offline
M
For those of you with grand pianos, do you usually keep the lid closed or propped open. For either option, why? No particular reason for the question, just wondering.

M
M
I keep mine propped up on the shorter pole. (I don't know the right term for that pole.)

I do it because I compared the sounds of it fully open, closed, and propped up on the shorter pole, and I liked the sound when it was on the shorter pole better.

One side-benefit was that the kids didn't use the surface as a table when it's propped up like that.

Mom of Two Girls Who Used to Be Beginners
T
T
From what I've read when this has been asked in the past, most have it open when playing (to get the full sound of a grand) and closed when not playing (to avoid dust collecting). I will do the same when I get my first grand.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Usually closed also while practicing, only open for visitors (looks nicer), last stages of practice and for recording (better sound).

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
M
Partially open while playing; otherwise closed to prevent dust collection. I do not like the muffled sound when it is closed.

- Rick

Learning to play the piano, very happy with my 1907 Ivers Pond uprights, and ready to part with my Yamha C7 - not the sound I like.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Whatever sounds best to you is the short answer. Most pianos sound muted with the lid closed, so the choice of full, half, or some will have a quarter stick depends on the room acoustics.

Enjoy

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Usually closed, for loudness reasons.

Last edited by patH; 01/14/15 06:15 PM.

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
This question comes up now and again. It always reminds me of the story of the fellow who practised in white tie and tails - a bit pathetic.

I've never known a single professional pianist, not one, whose home or studio piano was open. In most cases, professional pianists keep their pianos completely closed, with the music desk removed and placed on top of the closed lid.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

M
OP Offline
M
My apologies if I raised a pathetic question. Just a question that came to mind and was wondering what the forum members thought.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
At home ... Closed to keep the dust and the cat off the strings ( yep she has some fetish about the overtone series or something ... I got her from the Humane Society in Honolulu where they play Mozart all day long in the cat house to "calm them". She arrived at my home fully addicted to classical music and particularly the F major chord) .

And besides that closed lid, I usually play with the soft pedal to minimize noise late at night. Someday I'll have a home on acres of land where I can play at midnight with the windows open and the lid up and my feet using the pedals generously. But now I must exercise restraint.

In a public performance, for both visual and aural effects ... Open of course.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Open, full stick, except when I know I'll be away from the piano for more than a day.

Why?

Why wouldn't I? smile

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Closed when I am not using it. Open when I am playing.

Practicing in white tie? I think that is a wonderful idea.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Not playing: Closed and covered because of Txukka, Frankie, Pinkle Purr and Minnie.

Playing: Open on the short stick, because I like how it sounds and I can't lift the lid high enough for the full stick.

Phillip, I have on occasion practiced in a gown, but it is my nightgown wrapped in a robe.

Learner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Playing or not playing the piano is in the same configuration, open at the front. Lets some of the sound out, but our cats are deterred from going inside.

Once in a blue moon I'll open up the lid all of the way; way too loud for the same room it is in.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
It is really best to close a grand piano when you are not using it. This really preserves the piano from dust/spills/fumes contaminating the strings/soundboard.

I will elaborate Karl's observation with: If the piano is really good sounding in the treble-the piano can be completely closed with the desk removed from the case and placed on a towel on the top-and the treble/bass balance will still be good. Don't compensate for the reduced volume by playing louder. Playing the piano this way rests your ears.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
R
R
I keep both of my grand lids down. Mostly for dust but also I don't want to warp the lids. Also, I have tile floor so they can be rather loud when lids are up. I am tempted to raise them when company comes to "show off". LOL

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I put a string cover to keep the dust out and keep the lid either fully or partially open. The string cover affects the sound only slightly.

I don't really like opening & closing the lid each time I play, increases the risk of dropping it and damaging the piano.

There is also the issue of accompaniment. Vocalist often want the piano closed. Short stick is usually optimal for piano quartets or quintets. There are also differences in the sound. If you have a treble that screams in the home environment, keep the lid down or on the short stick. I think the intonation is better with the lid open.

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.
L
L
I was amazed recently to discover that my friend playing flute found it much easier to achieve the correct intonation with the lid on full stick.

Yes, the wing is heavy to raise and lower each time I play, but I find the sound revealed much better. It is too loud for the room, though.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Open almost all the time, with frequent and meticulous dustings to compensate. My mics are on stands and booms, so it's easier to just keep everything set up, rather than having to reposition my setup all the time.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission