2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello all.

As the title suggests, I'm very curious about the significance of middle sections of some Chopin nocturnes that sound chorale-like/religious. Examples would be from Op. 15 no.3 (marked 'religioso'), Op.37 no.1, and Op.48 no.1 (less sure about that one).

I'm aware that the form is typically meant to evoke the night, and the still, meditative qualities that come with that. But wiki suggests that the term also has some liturgical significance; is it possible that Chopin also had this in mind when writing some of his nocturnes?

I ask because I find these sections quite striking, and I would love to know if they could possess any special significance. As middle-sections they seem to present some solace from the more restless beginning and end sections of the relevant pieces. For a composer that didn't write religious music and seems to have been more occupied with nationalism than theology, this is an interesting thing to come across in his work. Might Chopin be referencing faith as a source of respite from worldly troubles?

My knowledge of music is poor, so I would be pleased to get some input from more knowledgeable folks here.

Furthermore, if anyone knows of any sources of information on the form of the nocturne as Chopin would have understood it, I would appreciate it. Since I only know of Field as the other person to have composed these before Chopin, there doesn't seem to be much to go on.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
WellTempered,

It's a great question, and a great observation. Op.15/3, in particular, has struck may people as not just religious, but deeply mysterious. And Chopin's 3rd Scherzo also has famous chorale-like passages (this time enhanced by some faster rippling effects) that you should think about too.

But I would hesitate to try to figure out exactly what Chopin was thinking here-- if he even consciously knew. I find that approach to be too simple and reductive. It may be true that Chopin was more interested in nationalism than theology, but I wouldn't look to these kinds of things to unlock his secrets. You don't have to know anything about theology to feel that the world is sometimes a tiring despair-invoking place, and to feel the desire to create a self-reflective cathedral-like space in music to get away from it. This doesn't take theology, it takes sensitivity-- and genius.

So rather than understanding Chopin by trying to explain these chorales biographically, I suggest first looking in his music for other examples of this kind of Chopin, and then asking: what other flavors to his work are there? What are examples, not just of the religious Chopin, but the tragic Chopin, the resigned Chopin, the carefree Chopin? IMO studying the works by thinking through these different flavors gives more understanding of his music than looking for biographical causes.

-Jason

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hmmmm, interesting topic. Looking for information I came across this paper from USC. Looks like he was indeed influenced greatly by hymns at least, even if his life didn't actually fit the pattern of the prodigal son.

That page makes it clear that Chopin loved the hymns.

Originally Posted by article
Chopin came into contact with religious songs already during his childhood, as much in church as at home. We know that religious songs were performed in Polish homes as early as the sixteenth century. They were sung in the morning, but especially in the evening. During the years 1825-26 Chopin was the organist at his liceum. "I play the organ each week on Sunday at the Church of the Visitation, and the rest sing." Chopin accompanied the performed religious songs and intoned them.

It is important to remember that Chopin spent the better part of his life—more than twenty years—in Poland. During this long period, on Sundays and on religious holidays the whole family participated in church services. In Poland—unlike in other Catholic countries— songs collectively sung by everyone in the vernacular took up a large portion of and played an important role in services as well as the liturgy of the Mass

It seems Chopin's actual religious beliefs, though, are more mysterious.

Poetry is rhythm
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by WellTemperedPizza
[...] As middle-sections they seem to present some solace from the more restless beginning and end sections of the relevant pieces. [...]

I realize that you wrote "... of the relevant pieces..." but on the other hand, fully one third of the Nocturnes have middle sections that are much more tempestuous or agitated than their relatively calm opening and closing sections.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
T
Jeremy Denk has two very interesting and articulate blogs on the chorale in piano music generally!

http://jeremydenk.net/blog/2005/07/19/the-meaning-of-chorale/
http://jeremydenk.net/blog/2007/10/05/holy-touch/

Some very interesting comments about tone or register. Might spark something off re: Chopin's use of it.

"Nine? Too late."
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Let's play a game and see if we can list every chorale from Chopin's piano music.

I'll start with the one from the Opus 52 Ballade, which occurs just before the infamous sixths passage.

Regards,

Polyphonist

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Let's play a game and see if we can list every chorale from Chopin's piano music.

I'll start with the one from the Opus 52 Ballade, which occurs just before the infamous sixths passage.

The slow middle section of the Fantasie Opus 49 comes close. cool

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Before the coda?

J
J
Sorry in advance for the self reference, but some time ago I wrote an article that explores why Chopin might have used a chorale in 15/3. For those who have access to JSTOR, here's a link to it:

Kallberg Rhetoric of Genre

A somewhat revised version of this article also appears in my book, Chopin at the Boundaries.

There may be PDFs of these floating around out there on the Web!

Jeff Kallberg

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by carey

I always thought the 'run-away' choral of the Op 10/1 a prime candidate. (Who was it that first made the observation?)

Jason
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW

Before the coda?

No, though I see how what I said could be confusing. Those five chords, I suppose, do constitute a chorale of sorts, although the passage is not really long enough to be thought of as one.

Yes, and I think the passage at bar 127 would also qualify.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg
Sorry in advance for the self reference, but some time ago I wrote an article that explores why Chopin might have used a chorale in 15/3. For those who have access to JSTOR, here's a link to it:

Many thanks for that! So what do you think about the Op 10/1?

Jason
J
J
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg

Many thanks for that! So what do you think about the Op 10/1?

In his School of Practical Composition (1840s, I think), Czerny did an analysis of 10/1 as if it were a Bach chorale. But this is more about voice-leading than how we hear the piece (one could do the same with any well-conceived passage of figuration); it doesn't have much to do with how I hear an actual performance of 10/1.

Jeff Kallberg

A
A
That magical moment in Op. 62 (Polonaise-fantasie, or, "Ballade No. 5") when the B major chords anticipate the coda.

Can anyone identify the hymn tunes for these chorales?

Seiler 206, Chickering 145, Estey 2 manual reed organ, Fudge clavichord, Zuckerman single harpsichord, Technics P-30, Roland RD-100.

Originally Posted by gynnis
These are original works. I doubt that ANY of them are based on hymn tunes. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P

How can we become familiar with Polish Catholic hymns?

Poetry is rhythm
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
These are original works. I doubt that ANY of them are based on hymn tunes. smile

The one in the first scherzo is.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

I have a vague recollection that one Chopin "chorale" section was based on a Polish Christmas carol. Sorry I can't be more specific.

B
B
Originally Posted by JoelW

The one in the first scherzo is.

I think that is an old Polish Christmas song (Lulajze Jezuniu), rather than a hymn tune as such.

I'd love to know whether there're any chorale-sounding tunes in piano music that have been appropriated for use as hymns. Brahms's third piano sonata (finale) for example. Or even Liszt's piano sonata.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission