2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 312 of 452 1 2 310 311 312 313 314 451 452
G
G
Originally Posted by Finfan
So THAT'S what 4/4 time sounds like!!!! Thanks! Please remember it's been like 50 years since I last had any music lessons.

I use these videos for obscure pieces when I'm not sure how it should sound. I wanted to see how he played Jingle Bells chords with his left hand since this is all new to me.

Gawain

Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. ---Albert Einstein
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gawain
Here is Jingle Bells being played by a pro..... This guy has all the Alfred's Book one songs on video.

Jingle Bells - Alfred's Book One

Gawain
I am not a big fan of Alan Chan channel on YT. There are so many better examples out there. Here is just one: http://youtu.be/wZEbfzmGQwo

She is also a member of PW.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Both examples are IMHO poor. The first is much too fast and is really just loud banging, and thus totally unmusical. The second example is clunky and also somewhat unmusical, not smooth, as if a machine is hitting the keys. But it is considerably better than the first example.

A musical and pleasing playing of Jingle Bells in Alfred's Book #1 is not all that hard to accomplish for a beginner.

I have yet to have a student who is not able to play it smoothly and musically, usually with just a play-through by me as an example to demonstrate smoothness and musicality.

And I do not proceed to the next thing in the book until there is some level of musicality present.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Understand. And this is why I suggest for anyone going through Alfred AIO Book 1 to get the DVD with the book. But my real point is that if you search YT you will find helpful examples - there are many (probably should have left it at that in the first place).

[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scorpio
But my real point is that if you search YT you will find helpful examples - there are many (probably should have left it at that in the first place).

How does a self-taught beginner with no teacher or mentor or guide know if a YT example is good, bad, or ugly?

YT is often presented on these forums as a perfectly valid alternative to a live Piano teacher, yet this thread just presented two examples from YT... one that is terrible, and another that is questionable.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
A
A
Originally Posted by rocket88
How does a self-taught beginner with no teacher or mentor or guide know if a YT example is good, bad, or ugly?

YT is often presented on these forums as a perfectly valid alternative to a live Piano teacher, yet this thread just presented two examples from YT... one that is terrible, and another that is questionable.

I always watch several and not just one. I do a search for the title and composer and usually a big list comes up. I don't just pick one and go from that I watch/listen to a lot of them somewhere between 5-10. Which for me when I search on there I'm mostly looking for timing. Agreed that there are some really bad examples out there and it's up to us to weed them out when we're looking for examples of what we're learning on the Tube.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] XXXVII-XXXIX

Casio Privia PX-160
Yamaha PSR-160
Piano Playing since November 2014
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Anita Potter
I always watch several and not just one. I do a search for the title and composer and usually a big list comes up. I don't just pick one and go from that I watch/listen to a lot of them somewhere between 5-10. Which for me when I search on there I'm mostly looking for timing. Agreed that there are some really bad examples out there and it's up to us to weed them out when we're looking for examples of what we're learning on the Tube.
Exactly how I went about it when I went through the book, without a teacher. Currently I study with a teacher.

You always have to weed out the good examples from the not so good examples. And quite honestly you have to weed out the good teachers from the not so good teachers - and there are many not so good teachers. You just have to be smart about it.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

How do you know if you have a good teacher or a bad teacher? I believe both videos/examples are from piano teachers.

[Linked Image]
D
D
This lady's playing is musical unlike the gentleman's. My piano teacher, who is also my son, would never let me pass a song with such unmusical playing.

The lady has recorded 95 videos from All-in-One Level 1 and 58 from Level 2. I am on level 1 and I have listened to hers as good examples. I also listen to and play along with my Kawai CN34 as all the Level 1 songs are part of its internal Lesson function.

Level 1 playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRe3dlAzLRw&list=PLeW-cELRAmSl9fQyFwa9BIpeSHzlxuSYM

Level 2 playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc7LXuFanpk&list=PLeW-cELRAmSlTrOaPvXTUby4HaGp-GwNE

Started lessons August 2014 at age 63 - taught by son using Skype.
Kawai CN34 digital piano + 8" monitor spkrs
Pianoteq 5 (D4 and Model B), Ravenscroft 275, Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D, Garritan cfx concert grand
"Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 2
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
]Exactly how I went about it when I went through the book, without a teacher. Currently I study with a teacher.

Scorpio, if you'll forgive a rude question, how did your teacher assess your skills when you were first evaluated? That is, did you find you had picked up a lot of bad habits from self study that you had to go back and correct? Or did you find that you had progressed just as well at the beginning (although perhaps more slowly than you would other wise would have) without a teacher?

Warm regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fizikisto
Scorpio, if you'll forgive a rude question, how did your teacher assess your skills when you were first evaluated? That is, did you find you had picked up a lot of bad habits from self study that you had to go back and correct? Or did you find that you had progressed just as well at the beginning (although perhaps more slowly than you would other wise would have) without a teacher?

Warm regards

It's a good question. I don't know if I have a good answer. There is a long answer, but that is probably due to my insecurities as a student. Here is the short version of the answer...

When I started out looking for a teacher my first goal was to find someone that works well with adult students and one that could break any bad habits that I developed on my own. I kept hearing about bad habits and wanted to make sure that was addressed. I go to a music school located at a local college. My teacher has been teaching for 40+ years. The long and short of it is that he had no issues with how I presented. In fact, I think I presented myself better than my ability. So that has caused some other issues. Do I have things that need to be corrected, for sure! Did I do harm self-learning through Alfred 1, it does not appear so!

I am pretty diligent when I go about things. So much so that the biggest issue my teacher has with me is that I over think and not just play. Of course I have other things that need to be addressed, but I am a student afterall. I am still learning.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

How do you know if you have a good teacher or a bad teacher? I believe both videos/examples are from piano teachers.
Just to add to my insecurity, haha. How do I know if my teacher is good? Maybe my technique is a mess. Maybe I have bad habits that I am not aware of and is not being addressed. Maybe Alfred 1 was bad for me. I don't know. I just try to keep working and not over think.

[Linked Image]
I also like the links David51 posted. I have used her videos as a reference as to what should be acceptable musically for each of the pieces.

I think that her style has the basic musicality for a beginning learner. I use her videos primarily for two things - one is to get an idea of what the song sounds like (especially if I have never heard the song before) and secondly is to get an idea of the correct tempo/rhythm of the song. And for this I think she is a good example.

I find that my own teacher adds in additional phrasing and interpretation that isn't present in the above mentioned youtube videos. But I think the point of the youtube example is a baseline of what should the song sound like in terms of notes, rhythm/tempo.

On a separate note, I'm really happy this thread is alive again. It's so nice to see so many people posting in here.

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
I'm now working on Cafe Vienna and Lullaby.

Cafe Vienna is a really fun piece to play and has a great melody.

Lullaby has a nice melody but is a challenge when trying to play hands together and get the correct rhythm its definitely going to challenge me similar to Blow the Man Down perhaps even more so...

How's everyone else doing with their pieces?

Half way through Alfred's Adult All in One - Level 2

https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
F
F
Just a note to say that the videos by the woman sitting at the upright piano were very helpful, and much easier to achieve. I am now struggling with "When the Saints Go Marching In" on page 45. I'm having trouble making the chord transitions go smoothly but that is what practice is for.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Just a note to say that the videos by the woman sitting at the upright piano were very helpful, and much easier to achieve. I am now struggling with "When the Saints Go Marching In" on page 45. I'm having trouble making the chord transitions go smoothly but that is what practice is for.

Yes it is. Believe it or not, with continued practice it will soon be second nature. In fact, I'll offer a tip (which you may already be doing). practice just with the hand making the chords, over and over, not just for that song but for any variation:

C -> F
F -> C
C -> G
G-> C
F -> G
G -> F

So you might do something like (this is purely random and made up)

C -> G -> F -> C -> F -> G -> F -> C

Just practice all those chord changes over and over until you can do them smoothly (not looking at the score, just practice moving from one chord to another randomly). You want to get the feeling of it under your fingers.

I'm playing a C chord, I want to move to G chord, so hand does *this*

Once you've got the motion down, learn to associate that with the chords on the score. Instead of trying to learn the individual notes, learn to read the block chords by their shape/position. Make Flash cards if you need to.

Then...when you've got the recognition down, and the movement down, put them together.

Playing piano is an incredibly complex skill, you're trying to do many things at once. The fastest way to learn something complex is to break it into more manageable parts, master the parts separately, then put them back together.

In any case, good luck with your playing.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
F
F
Thanks! I have actually done your suggested exercise a little although I'll try it more now. I'm sure piano is more complex but right now it seems easier than Guitar to me because I can hit an F chord on piano! smile

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
J
J
Thanks! I have actually done your suggested exercise a little although I'll try it more now. I'm sure piano is more complex but right now it seems easier than Guitar to me because I can hit an F chord on piano! smile

I'm working on "The Donkey" so I'm just a couple of pages beyond. I worked on The Saints for quite a while but I've pretty much got the chord changes down.

I agree that right now piano seems easier than guitar. Big keys instead of little wires and all the notes right in a row!

Next week I'm going to start the eMedia course, I have it loaded on my laptop and ready to go. I got it on Amazon for $43 which I thought was very reasonable.

I'll use eMedia for a while and then go back to Alfred or perhaps even use the two together. I'll see how it goes.

Piano has even got me playing guitar more often. I'd slacked off for a while but I am transferring some new knowledge back to the guitar. I was pretty strictly a guitar tab guy now I'm spending a bit more time with sheet music.

Casio PX 850
Alfred's Book 1
Sony 7506 phones
F
F
I've encountered something now that I am curious about. In the Alfred's book pg 36 it shows the G7 chord as B,F,G. However over the weekend I purchased a piano chord chart and it shows G7 as G,B,D,F. Is this just a simplification for beginners or is there another reason for the difference?

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Finfan

The GBDF is the correct notes for the G7 chord. But sometimes you'll find that one of the notes is dropped to make the chord easier to play. That's not just for beginners, you'll even see that in advanced pieces. Sometimes a note is dropped because it makes it easier to transition to the next chord in the piece. Also, a lot of times a note will be dropped in the chord, but you'll find that "dropped" note is being played in the melody by the other hand (so the full chord is still being played across both hands).

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Page 312 of 452 1 2 310 311 312 313 314 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission