2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
31 registered members (boe2, Greta99, barbaram, BachToTheFuture, camperbc, earlofmar, Ganddalf, grd-dan, 6 invisible), 256 guests, and 501 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass #2371683 01/09/15 03:22 PM
A
akin Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have recently had the bass strings replaced on my 1910 Steinway Model O. After the technician left, I decided to take a closer look at the work that was just done, and noticed the following:

- the coils were not wound evenly around the new pins: some had gaps, others seemed to overlap in a pretty haphazard fashion, sort of crisscrossing each other

- the new felt strip was bunched up in two places, leaving some of the strings only partially bearing on the felt. The strip itself was not glued to the harp.

I would like to know if this could possibly affect the tone and future tunings of the new strings, or if it could be considered acceptable, since it's not a factory installation.

The technician is to return to work on replacing some action parts next week, and I would like to know whether his workmanship was substandard before I have him do anything else.

Most grateful for any advice from PTG folks out there

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371692 01/09/15 03:52 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Sloppy coils lead to poor tuning stability and breakage. It is substandard work.

Semipro Tech
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371701 01/09/15 04:17 PM
rysowers Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sounds substandard to me. Take a picture and post it. The PTG exam has a stringing portion - you lose points if the coils aren't tight, if the tuning pins aren't leveled properly, and if there is too much or two little coil around the pins.

Our shop charges around $1200 to replace a set of bass strings. That includes a few follow up appointments to help stabilize the tuning. Leveling and mating the strings to the hammers is also part of the job.

I'm curious what he charged - that may be a clue to the quality of the job.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371706 01/09/15 04:29 PM
B
bellspiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Good for you, paying attention to what was done. I'm sorry that it was not done right. Asking that tech to continue with action work sounds like a risky proposition.

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371719 01/09/15 05:01 PM
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
I would like to give the technician the benefit of doubt-but if your description is accurate-the job should be redone. It may now need oversize tuning pins to result in adequate tuning pin torque if this job was done by turning the coils onto the pins already in the pin-block.

I would delay any other work until this is resolved and the technician takes the time to show you previous examples of similar work recently,(last 10 years or so) done. I think they should prove to you that they can do the work correctly before you hire them.

So sorry you are experiencing "Technician" problems at this time.
Bon Chance!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: Ed McMorrow, RPT] #2371778 01/09/15 09:09 PM
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I would like to give the technician the benefit of doubt-but if your description is accurate-the job should be redone. It may now need oversize tuning pins to result in adequate tuning pin torque if this job was done by turning the coils onto the pins already in the pin-block.

I would delay any other work until this is resolved and the technician takes the time to show you previous examples of similar work recently,(last 10 years or so) done. I think they should prove to you that they can do the work correctly before you hire them.

So sorry you are experiencing "Technician" problems at this time.
Bon Chance!

It's a difficult situation. I would be reluctant to trust that the technician can do anything right. Perhaps it's one of my pet peeves, but if there is only one tuning pin on a piano, one could consider a second chance. But, starting off with ~210+ examples of how the finished product should look and then get it wrong takes a special kind of stupid. How can you possibly leave a job looking differently than all the rest of the pins?!? Aargh!!

It's one thing if the technician was obviously trying and maybe one or two coils weren't quite compacted perfectly or a becket wasn't fully pushed into the hole. That would be an example of a beginner or perhaps a technician who didn't have a meticulous attitude. But coils going over each other?? It is not possible to come up with an excuse to justify that kind of willful failure to follow hundreds of examples in front of their eyes.
</ending teeth-gnashing session>

Regarding the tuning pin statement. I realize that the Pacific Northwest is a somewhat different situation, but in most of the US installing new tuning pins would be mandatory for any kind of restringing unless the piano is fairly new -- say 10 years old, 20 max.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371790 01/09/15 09:36 PM
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ugh! Poor stringing is one of my pet peeves. It's so easy to do it right and give the whole job a meticulous professional look. I'm baffled by the sloppy work out there.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371803 01/09/15 10:50 PM
B
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Sounds like a bad job to me.

Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371819 01/09/15 11:44 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
What you need to do is find someone who can fix the work that was done. Then have that person do the rest of the work.

Semipro Tech
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371827 01/10/15 12:21 AM
B
Bellyman Offline
B
Time for a real tech... This person obviously doesn't know what they're doing, and if they do, don't care.

It's up to you whether you want to see if they guy will fix it. I tend to agree that maybe it's best that this tech not do any more work until they fix what they've already screwed up. If they won't, you don't want them messing up anything else.

Just my opinion.

Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371868 01/10/15 05:16 AM
bkw58 Offline

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Have you expressed your concerns to the tech? What did the tech offer in response?

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371900 01/10/15 09:31 AM
B
Blues beater Offline
B
Originally Posted by akin
I have recently had the bass strings replaced on my 1910 Steinway Model O. After the technician left, I decided to take a closer look at the work that was just done, and noticed the following:

- the coils were not wound evenly around the new pins: some had gaps, others seemed to overlap in a pretty haphazard fashion, sort of crisscrossing each other

- the new felt strip was bunched up in two places, leaving some of the strings only partially bearing on the felt. The strip itself was not glued to the harp.

I would like to know if this could possibly affect the tone and future tunings of the new strings, or if it could be considered acceptable, since it's not a factory installation.

The technician is to return to work on replacing some action parts next week, and I would like to know whether his workmanship was substandard before I have him do anything else.

Most grateful for any advice from PTG folks out there

Well, I am not PTG. I am strictly DIY. Yet, the first time I put on a set of bass strings I did better than you describe. Certainly sounds sub-standard to me.

Don

Don, playing the blues in Austin, Texas on a 48" family heirloom Steinway upright, 100 year old 54" Weber upright, unknown make turn of the century 54" upright -- says "Whittier NY" on the plate, Starr, ca. 100 years old full size upright.
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371913 01/10/15 10:16 AM
A
akin Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks so much for your input. Looks like I really stepped into it this time. Are the new strings salvageable to have them re-installed by a qualified technician?

Re the cost: the job was priced as a whole at $2,700, including new bass strings, new hammers, shanks and flanges. The strings are Mapes, and the hammers are Abel.

At this point I'm just trying to get the new parts back, and am not sure what the breakdown of labor/materials was.

Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371949 01/10/15 12:21 PM
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
I would ask for a full refund plus the costs to properly repair what has already been done. If he/she broke it-he/she owns it.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371952 01/10/15 12:29 PM
G
Gene Nelson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
When you play, do the dampers in the bass section damp the strings efficiently?

RPT
PTG Member
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: Gene Nelson] #2371985 01/10/15 01:50 PM
A
akin Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The dampers don't seem to have any problems

Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2371993 01/10/15 02:20 PM
G
Gene Nelson Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Well possibly the tech restrung without removing dampers.
Would not be my choice.
If he removed them it requires re-regulating them and can be a bit more tedious than restringing and based on your description of the restringing job you can understand why I am curious about bass damper function.

RPT
PTG Member
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: akin] #2372015 01/10/15 04:13 PM
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kpembrook

It's a difficult situation.

Compounded by the absence of photos which has not prevented a multitude of opinions.

Not trying to dismiss the concerns of the OP. I would have to see the job or lack thereof previous to forming an opinion of the matter.

Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: Silverwood Pianos] #2372022 01/10/15 04:33 PM
bkw58 Offline

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Originally Posted by kpembrook

It's a difficult situation.

Compounded by the absence of photos which has not prevented a multitude of opinions.

Not trying to dismiss the concerns of the OP. I would have to see the job or lack thereof previous to forming an opinion of the matter.

thumb

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
Re: Urgent advice neded about restringing the bass [Re: Silverwood Pianos] #2372026 01/10/15 04:39 PM
A
akin Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have taken the photos, but can't seem to find the way to post them on this forum. Not being on FB or any similar social network, I would be happy to email them to anyone interested to see them.

My second question remains: can these strings be used to be re-installed properly, or are they shot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha YDP s52 or Casio CDP 220R
by Love4Music - 02/18/20 09:11 PM
Kawaii K-200 vs Geyer GU-123
by ckm99 - 02/18/20 07:33 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,054
Posts2,927,330
Members96,039
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission