2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
etoiles Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi this is my first posting and I am so thrilled to find this site!

I was originally looking for the baby grand piano but since I live in 5th floor condo which needs special permission to use crane to move the piano I decided to hold on until I have my own permanent place.

Meanwhile i still need piano so have searched for smaller piano and found someone is selling Baldwin acrosonic made in 1969. (#990) They described that it's owned by one owner (them) and tuned regularly. Piano looked like new in picture and they seemed to maintain it very well. (36 inch high so I assume that this is spinet)

They asked $750 or up so I don't think I can deal with lower than $750 and since this piano is maintained well I would want to buy this piano - also it's only 3 miles away from my place.

What do you think? I will see this piano and meet owner tomorrow. What should i check and what should I ask? Do you think this is good price?

Thank you in advance for all your answers and feedback.

Last edited by etoiles; 01/08/15 12:12 AM.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
The Acrosonics were actually well-regarded for smaller uprights. I'd suggest checking it out as best you can yourself. Play it. Test all the keys, pedals, etc. Make sure everything is functioning like it should and that it sounds ok. Once you think you'd like to take it home, I'd suggest having it checked out by a technician who can look at the internal pieces and parts and make sure that there are no hidden surprises or expensive maintenance issues needed. Depending on where you live, an inspection usually runs 100 to 150, but it's money well spent on a piano of that age. Good luck with your search.

Also, don't rule out a smaller grand. They can go up staircases and some elevators. Speaking of 5th floor, though, don't forget to factor moving the piano into your budget. You might want to ask in advance--I suspect the 5 floors will impact the price much more than the 3 miles.

Google "how to inspect a used piano." There are a lot of links with tips on how to check one out.

Good luck with your search.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It is too expensive.

Talk to piano movers and get an idea of what can fit into your apartment. I assume you have an elevator. Measure it and get an idea from them what will fit.

Semipro Tech
E
etoiles Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you for your feedback! since we have small passengers elevators baby grand won't fit in there. upright can fit in. I do think this is expensive but it seems they kept really well in exellent condition. there are cheaper and newer baldwins on listing but most of them are far away from my place. (Nearly an hour) I probably call to piano moving company tomorrow to find out what's cost cheaper with delivery. Btw, if the seller is willing to give in lower price, what would be reasonable price that I could negotiate with this 1969 Baldwin spinet?

Last edited by etoiles; 01/08/15 02:13 AM.
B
BDB Offline
B
Just get something newer, and without a spinet action.

Semipro Tech
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Better a digital than a spinet.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Markarian

Arguing the merits of a digital vs an upright is often futile, but a console or studio upright is far better, or I should say authentic, than a 9' concert grand coming out of two very small stereo speakers with lots of digital reverb.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by SMHaley
Originally Posted by Markarian

Arguing the merits of a digital vs an upright is often futile, but a console or studio upright is far better, or I should say authentic, than a 9' concert grand coming out of two very small stereo speakers with lots of digital reverb.

I have a 9' concert grand and two digitals.

For the OP, the best course may be to start with the best digital he can find in his price range, and add an acoustic grand after he moves to a new home. Moving a real piano into and out of a temporary condo is a waste of money. The digital still comes in handy for headphone practice.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
T
T
If the choice were between spending $750 plus moving expenses for a 46 year old spinet or a new digital to be replaced (or added to) by an acoustic at a future date, I'd strongly consider going the digital route.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Troy 125
If the choice were between spending $750 plus moving expenses for a 46 year old spinet or a new digital to be replaced (or added to) by an acoustic at a future date, I'd strongly consider going the digital route.

Fair enough, but I can't think of very many high quality keyboards with weighted action (let alone an attractive digital with reasonable sound) for under $1k.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
All things considered, you could do a lot worse that that Baldwin for a small acoustic piano.

But I do wonder if it's a good deal considering the moving costs to get it there and then the moving costs to get it back out when you move.

I lived in an apartment for a while, with an acoustic piano, and had to be careful about when I played it and had to make sure not to play too loudly as other people lived there and, well, the apartment just wasn't that soundproof.

Digital does have the advantage of letting you play your heart out at midnight and making very little noise, it never goes out of tune, there are often numerous high quality piano samples available, and unless you buy something with a large cabinet, you can carry it in and out of your apartment yourself, no movers necessary.

Right now, I happen to live in a 40' rv. It's under 400 square feet. Oh, I'd love to have a 6-7' grand in my living room. But an old 88 key weighted key Roland gives me something to play that works pretty well. Perfect? No. But it's the right 'piano' for me at this point in time.

You ought to at least check out a few keyboards before calling the moving company. You might be surprised.

Good luck!

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Actually a quite reasonable weighted digital can be had for a few hundred dollars less than one thou. Four velocity layers, tri-sensor contact system, modeled damper and string resonance and a graded action keyboard. Support for multiple pedals and half damper techniques. What not to like?Privia 150. About $500 and some shipping or tax.

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
Originally Posted by Bellyman
All things considered, you could do a lot worse that that Baldwin for a small acoustic piano.

But I do wonder if it's a good deal considering the moving costs to get it there and then the moving costs to get it back out when you move.

I lived in an apartment for a while, with an acoustic piano, and had to be careful about when I played it and had to make sure not to play too loudly as other people lived there and, well, the apartment just wasn't that soundproof.

Digital does have the advantage of letting you play your heart out at midnight and making very little noise, it never goes out of tune, there are often numerous high quality piano samples available, and unless you buy something with a large cabinet, you can carry it in and out of your apartment yourself, no movers necessary.

Right now, I happen to live in a 40' rv. It's under 400 square feet. Oh, I'd love to have a 6-7' grand in my living room. But an old 88 key weighted key Roland gives me something to play that works pretty well. Perfect? No. But it's the right 'piano' for me at this point in time.

You ought to at least check out a few keyboards before calling the moving company. You might be surprised.

Good luck!

Lucy I'm home! You got some splaining to do why dino desi and Billy haven't started to practice yet. The Mertzes will be so disappointed if they can't join me for "babaloo" before THEIR vaudeville number, and no you can't be in the show again...

-Wah!

Next time!: Trailer mas Bueno para VICTORY EIGHT!

Last edited by harpon; 01/08/15 10:20 PM.
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/msg/4837647749.html

Here's one I just saw on craigslist- I don't know if it's the same kind of spinet, or what a "semi-upright" means otherwise. Much less expensive. Play "Mack the Knife" on it. "Winners go to splintersville?" No mention of the year.
Older is better, they say.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by SMHaley
Originally Posted by Troy 125

Fair enough, but I can't think of very many high quality keyboards with weighted action (let alone an attractive digital with reasonable sound) for under $1k.

Casio PX-5S
Kawai ES100
Yamaha P-Anything

They are definitely getting better, as far as technology. Spinets are absolutely inferior in touch and tone in all ways to most half-way decent digital pianos. I realize they may hold sentimental value to some, or that there are those who are attracted to its sound (is that what Billy Joel meant that the "piano sounds like a Carnival?"), but in the end they are hardly a wise investment.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission