2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
So now that I have had my Costco special Casio 230R for nearly two months I have determined a few things.

A common complaint I read here on PW centers around a keyboards "action" and how well it resembles an acoustic's. I have been lucky enough to play on a few acoustics the last month and I can say that oddly enough the little Casio's action is decidedly stiffer than every acoustic I have played so far maybe it will soften with age but so far I am okay with it.

The internal speakers are far from awe inspiring. To fix this I have ordered a 15 foot long cable that will connect my DP and PC powered speakers via the headphone jack. The set is built by klipcsh and has a subwoofer and two satellites. They sound wonderful when I play music or movies through my pc's DVD/CD player so this should solve my first problem.

Although not important as the first remedy I am curious about piano software. More importantly very cheap piano software. I have seen pianoteq mentioned hundreds of times, but it also costs hundreds! So I am looking for recommendations on either free or very low cost software.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good to hear you are pleased with your new Casio 230R.
Now regarding good software, I'm surprised that you state Pianoteq costs 'hundreds'. I'm not sure where you're located, but here in Europe the budget 5 'Stage' version with two instrument packs costs 99 euros which is certainly not hundred(s) of dollars - if that is your currency.
I've been using the Pianoteq 4 stage version and am delighted with it, as I believe most users are.
The icing on the cake with Pianoteq imho is the first-class support one receives. I had a query over this holiday period regarding an upgrade to 5 Stage, and received two almost immediate satisfactory responses, one yesterday, and another today (Sunday). That's what I call service with a capital 'S'.

You may be able to find free or very low cost software, but I'm not sure from where.
Why not download the trial version of Pianoteq to see if it suits you.
Good luck.

Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

(Sent from my Sinclair ZX81)..........

------------------------------

D
D
Pianoteq Stage version 5 costs $129 online. Since I am taking music theory classes at a local college, I was able to purchase it for $78 (40% academic discount). I like it much better than the built-in sound in my Kawaii CN34. I have been using the D4 Vintage.

Started lessons August 2014 at age 63 - taught by son using Skype.
Kawai CN34 digital piano + 8" monitor spkrs
Pianoteq 5 (D4 and Model B), Ravenscroft 275, Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D, Garritan cfx concert grand
"Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course" Book 2
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
You can get VI Labs True Keys for $99…that would be for one of their piano sounds (American, Italian, German) other than Ravenscroft. I really like their American grand.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
Pianissimo is another option. Similar to Pianoteq but cheaper. (And likely fewer features...you just need to decide if extra features are worth the extra money.

A common theme with many of these software packages is the upgrade. Spend more and get added features and/or voices. I just wanted to process my midi files to MP3 and Pianissimo was all I needed.

So much music and so little time!
-----------------------------------
1916 Mason & Hamlin BB
Yamaha P155
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
In terms of "improvement in sound, per dollar spent", Pianoteq Stage is one of the best products on the market. My humble opinion, of course.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
R
rpw Offline
R
Ivy Audio is free.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Also, if you happen to have an iPad or iPhone, the CMP Grand Piano app is only $18. Another possibility is iGrand, which is iPad only.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Also, if you happen to have an iPad or iPhone, the CMP Grand Piano app is only $18. Another possibility is iGrand, which is iPad only.

There is also igrand for iphone (both currently at half price)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I have all the pianos mentioned. I do not recommend pianissimo, the interface is nice, but the sound is not that good. For under 100 dollar I would go with Addictive Keys Studio grand, very good for the price, lot's of options http://www.xlnaudio.com/products/instrument/studio_grand
Or if you have an ipad or iphone you can spend less than 10 dollar and have the similarly good Igrand (at half price these days).

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, M1 Mac mini, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garritan CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Digitalguy

Ah! Didn't notice there's an iPhone version!

For under 100 dollar I would go with Addictive Keys Studio grand, very good for the price, lot's of options

Yes, Addictive Keys is nice. Also, I like the Kawai from Acoustic Samples, which is well-priced and now on sale besides, also under $100...

http://www.acousticsamples.net/keys/kawai-ex-pro

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by anotherscott

Ah! Didn't notice there's an iPhone version!

For under 100 dollar I would go with Addictive Keys Studio grand, very good for the price, lot's of options

Yes, Addictive Keys is nice. Also, I like the Kawai from Acoustic Samples, which is well-priced and now on sale besides, also under $100...

http://www.acousticsamples.net/keys/kawai-ex-pro

Agree, kawai ex pro is also one of my favorite. It uses ilok, but you can authorise to your pc, like VILabs pianos (so no need to buy a dongle, if you don't have it)

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the heads up - I don't think I'd ever heard the Addictive Keys until now - that's the best sound I've heard from a software piano for a long time.

Greg.

L
L
Native Instruments new Pianos are very nice for the cost, cheapest sampled pianos around given their size.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I finally got around to hooking up my Akai LPK25 miniature keyboard today, and thanks to this timely thread (plus purchase of an Apple Camera Connector, for the USB port) I've now got it running to CMP Grand Piano on my iPad. The keyboard isn't great, but I wanted a small cheap setup for casual doodling when traveling. This gives me a base to start figuring out if it's satisfactory, or what features I might want in something that would be better.

Thanks PWers!

[ETFix: USB port, not poet. Although a USB poet sounds quite intriguing!]

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 12/30/14 06:31 PM.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Do the Native Instruments pianos require one of the NI software packages (Traktor or Kontact, I think) to play them, or will they run "stand-alone" ?

THanks --

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Tried the demo of the Addictive Keys Studio Grand - very nice tone. The main limitation I have found so far is that, IMHO, I don't think they have included true PP samples. I'm also not hearing the kind of clarity and body I get in the EWQLP. It plays better than EWQLP though, which isn't saying much. ;^)

Greg.

I've just been playing with Addictive Keys (and ASIO drivers on Windows to reduce the latency). I'm a sucker for "special price" deals, so I bought the 3 instrument bundle.

It's my first time playing with a software piano, and I was impressed with the nice tone of the pianos. I don't think that it responds to half-pedalling (partial damper pedal), or am I missing something? Also no string resonance?

For me, it was more interesting to get the upright piano sample because the grand sounded pretty similar to the sounds baked in to my Roland RP401R. Also, sometimes when I listen to the "Supernatural" sounds built in to my DP, I think "that sounds a bit digital", but now I can compare the sound to these very nice recordings of the real deal. (And actually, the built in sounds are pretty good for me!)

I'd probably just use these as DAW plugins for converting a MIDI file to audio, if I ever wanted to do that.

Regards,
Steven
---
(Re)beginner
Roland RP401R
L
L
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Do the Native Instruments pianos require one of the NI software packages (Traktor or Kontact, I think) to play them, or will they run "stand-alone" ?

THanks --

. Charles

They use kontakt player which is free.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission