2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
[video:youtube]HaSZ5DRb_D8[/video]
Sounds pretty hard, but give it a try - when you take it apart and work on it a little at a time, you should have no problem playing this holiday favorite!

I'd love to get feedback on this lesson - better yet, share some videos if this helps you play it!

J
J
Nice. I'm going to give it a try starting tomrrow. It'll be my first piece I've ever attempted to play on piano.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jusca
Nice. I'm going to give it a try starting tomrrow. It'll be my first piece I've ever attempted to play on piano.

Wow! Your first piece ever? That's awesome! Have fun with this and let me know if you need any help!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
While your title says "learn a song in 7 minutes", you didn't really mean that a student would only need to practise the piece for 7 minutes, and then it would be learned, right? The instructions themselves are 7 minutes long.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by keystring
While your title says "learn a song in 7 minutes", you didn't really mean that a student would only need to practise the piece for 7 minutes, and then it would be learned, right? The instructions themselves are 7 minutes long.

Good clarification. Yes, it's a 7 minute lesson, but hopefully the song is broken down well enough to a point where you don't have to spend too much time learning it smile Give it a try and let me know how long it takes for you to learn!

I love that song and am planning on learning. But, I always start singing "givea givea givea Garmin!" Damn commercials! crazy

Last edited by Cobra1365; 12/18/14 10:48 AM.

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Cobra1365
I love that song and am planning on learning. But, I always start singing "givea givea givea Garmin!" Damn commercials! crazy

That's hilarious! I never saw that commercial...but then again, I don't watch TV :P

E
E
Originally Posted by Hugh Sung
Originally Posted by keystring

Good clarification. Yes, it's a 7 minute lesson, but hopefully the song is broken down well enough to a point where you don't have to spend too much time learning it smile Give it a try and let me know how long it takes for you to learn!

Thanks for the clarifications !! I would have mistakenly allocated just 7 minutes for learning this song without these elucidations smile

J
J
I can easily see an hour or two to get the whole piece working together. I'm only accounting for my learning experience with other instruments.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Jusca
I can easily see an hour or two to get the whole piece working together. I'm only accounting for my learning experience with other instruments.

Very important suggestions for learning this piece:

1. Take your time
2. Have fun!

Happy Holidays, everyone! Enjoy!

Sounds pretty hard, but give it a try - when you take it apart and work on it a little at a time, you should have no problem playing this holiday favorite!

I'd love to get feedback on this lesson - better yet, share some videos if this helps you play it!

I'm viewing the video because I absolutely love this song. I am still a true, true beginner--been practicing off and on for 20 months (probably 10 true months total), so of course take it for what it's worth.

You're obviously a very skilled pains, and then taking the time to make the video--I'm very grateful for it.

However, I don't understand this video lesson at all. Why aren't you speaking of the notes that have names? Rather, "put a finger here, then a finger here"...is that normal to most piano players? It doesn't look like you're starting from the beginning with your lesson...or are you? Perhaps it's the introduction, or just a piece from the middle. I've watched it twice and got a little frustrated...not sure where to start with this.

Again, I'm a beginner, so I only wish I could understand the keys like some of you all, but I just assumed there was a basic system we used in learning songs.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by JazzyMac

I'm viewing the video because I absolutely love this song. I am still a true, true beginner--been practicing off and on for 20 months (probably 10 true months total), so of course take it for what it's worth.

You're obviously a very skilled pains, and then taking the time to make the video--I'm very grateful for it.

However, I don't understand this video lesson at all. Why aren't you speaking of the notes that have names? Rather, "put a finger here, then a finger here"...is that normal to most piano players? It doesn't look like you're starting from the beginning with your lesson...or are you? Perhaps it's the introduction, or just a piece from the middle. I've watched it twice and got a little frustrated...not sure where to start with this.

Again, I'm a beginner, so I only wish I could understand the keys like some of you all, but I just assumed there was a basic system we used in learning songs.

Hi JazzyMac

This video was designed for folks who have never played the piano before. I wanted to create a "quickstart" tutorial without getting bogged down in the theory. Unlike the detailed breakdown of my "Clair de lune from scratch" series or the lessons in my online school, which kind of start this way, then gradually introduce the theory (and music notation reading skills) you need as you need them, this is a "standalone" video.

When you work on this song, just start with one idea at a time before progressing. Try getting that note repetition in the first measure of the video down before moving on. Hit the space bar to pause the video often!

It can be a bit frustrating to try to figure things out by yourself from a video alone. One of the nice things about my online school is the fact that students can upload videos of their playing, and the teachers in turn can submit video responses to give advice and personalized help.

Thank you!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lovely song smile

Carol of the Bells (Ukrainian Bell Carol)

Happy Holidays, everyone! smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cobra1365

Do you have a hyperlink to that commercial?

Christmas greetings from here,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do you have a hyperlink to that commercial?

I'm not Cobra1365 nor play him on PW, but...

Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7oa9uAZS6gk

Also one from The Nutcracker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PY9TeGHcC3M

Last edited by Ragdoll; 12/28/14 05:07 PM.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission