2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Maybe it's because I have really limited time to play right now but I never even considered adding a Christmas song to my playlist. I'm starting to worry I may be a Grinch...
Anyone else?

Yamaha LU101, Casio CDP220R. 1968 Mason & Risch 'frankenpiano' only the cat plays. It's where our musical journey began though so I refuse to get rid of it.
start to learn one now, it is not too late, I like Jingle bells, Play this for me please. wink

S
OP Offline
S
My four year old daughter played Jingle Bells for her recital last week; it was the sweetest thing ever. Maybe we could duet!

Yamaha LU101, Casio CDP220R. 1968 Mason & Risch 'frankenpiano' only the cat plays. It's where our musical journey began though so I refuse to get rid of it.
Originally Posted by ShannonG
My four year old daughter played Jingle Bells for her recital last week; it was the sweetest thing ever. Maybe we could duet!

bravo, any Video to Show?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I just imagine Kabalevsky in a Santa suit.

Learner
Here's a simple 7-minute tutorial on an arrangement of "Silent Night" if this helps smile

[video:youtube]hX7C18zSYnA[/video]

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
No your not alone, I don't feel the need to learn a Christmas tune when I can hear others do it for me smile

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I don't really "study" the Christmas pieces, but I love to use them as reading practice - only play them from November to mid January and every year I can see how much easier they are to play compared to the year before.

This year I've been playing about with doing a few by ear which has been fun.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

I don't really think about it, still hasn't sunk in yet that tomorrow is Christmas Day!

I just play whatever I feel like playing at the time, if I happen to be in a festive mood, well then it's festive pieces smile

Yamaha MOX8 Synthesizer

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I don't really "study" the Christmas pieces, but I love to use them as reading practice

The same here. I sight-read each piece only once, until the next year.
This is only the second year.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015
A
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I don't really "study" the Christmas pieces, but I love to use them as reading practice - only play them from November to mid January and every year I can see how much easier they are to play compared to the year before.

I "learned" a few more difficult ones, but honestly I have the most fun reading through the really easy arrangements. I have Bastien Christmas lvl. 2, bought it last year. It's great to come back to them a year later and see how much easier they are.

For me, they expire on Christmas day- I can't play them after the 25th... I put the books away til next year

[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Add me to the list, I just play them from sight if I can and ignore them if I can't. That's the joy of practicing sight reading!!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Never bothered with christmas tunes. There is so much better music to spend time with

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
E
Originally Posted by Hugh Sung
Here's a simple 7-minute tutorial on an arrangement of "Silent Night" if this helps smile

[video:youtube]hX7C18zSYnA[/video]

Dear Hugh

I was about to become a member of the "Didn't learn a new Christmas Song this Year Club" when I saw your video. I usually start practicing my meager collection of Christmas songs just about a week before Halloween to "re-remember" them and hopefully play them a bit better than the year before. I have several versions of Silent Night by people like Dan Coates and others, but I really didn't like the arrangements. They were either too complex or too simple. Not being able to play "Silent Night" seemed like a glaring omission in my "limited" Christmas repertoire.

Your "simplified" arrangement is excellent! It sounds good just "as is" or like a basic recipe ...you can add to it, or change it slightly to make it your own. I modified it by playing the left-hand chords as for example, a C-G-C stretch instead of C-E-G to give it a "bigger sound" and varied some of the left hand patterns in a couple of measures from 3/4 to 6/8. It is still simple to play and sounds great to me! Thank you so much!

For next Christmas, I'll transpose it from C to Ab for us lower-voiced people! A Db is much more manageable for a bass than that high F! grin

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
S
OP Offline
S
Well I broke down and bought a 'big-note' collection of Christmas songs. I plan on having the whole family do their best Elvis impersonation to BLue Christmas.
If you're going to go cheesy, you should go all the way...

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Not me.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Originally Posted by Emissary52

Your "simplified" arrangement is excellent! It sounds good just "as is" or like a basic recipe ...you can add to it, or change it slightly to make it your own. I modified it by playing the left-hand chords as for example, a C-G-C stretch instead of C-E-G to give it a "bigger sound" and varied some of the left hand patterns in a couple of measures from 3/4 to 6/8. It is still simple to play and sounds great to me! Thank you so much!

For next Christmas, I'll transpose it from C to Ab for us lower-voiced people! A Db is much more manageable for a bass than that high F! grin

Hi Emissary52!

I'm so glad you enjoyed this arrangement! Here's a link to a version in A-flat major for you:

http://www.hughsung.com/sheetmusic/SilentNightA-flatMajor.pdf

Enjoy!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe it's because I have really limited time to play right now but I never even considered adding a Christmas song to my playlist. I'm starting to worry I may be a Grinch...
Anyone else?

Me too smile
+1 thumb

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm another "didn't learn a Christmas song and have absolutely no desire to."

On the piano that is.

On the other hand, I sang in a lessons and carols service in early December and worked very hard to learn the music, and also went to a Messiah Sing this year in preparation for which I decided I would finally study the Alto part for real instead of just winging it.

So maybe the difference in my attitudes is having some organized purpose for the learning.

I have to admit that on the piano I can cheat at claiming I have no interest in preparing Christmas music because I can sight read: my mother has been asking me to play carols for the past week, and since it's just playing, not needing to be fast and regular enough for a sing-along, I can make her happy by sight-reading the hymnal.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well I broke down and bought a 'big-note' collection of Christmas songs. I plan on having the whole family do their best Elvis impersonation to BLue Christmas.
If you're going to go cheesy, you should go all the way...

Hey ShannonG, I think Blue Christmas is a great song..lots of fun to play and sing. smile How'd it go?

BLUE CHRISTMAS

Last edited by Elssa; 12/27/14 12:14 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission