2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
kaustin Offline OP
OP Offline
K
REPOST--Original post became contorted by long link--Please read this one instead! Also posted in piano forum.

My piano (48” upright) was moved earlier today and I’m a little freaked out by how it went. A friend told me about this forum so I thought I’d try to get advice here. Maybe the movers really did know what they were doing and pianos can withstand a lot of abuse, but if it wasnt handled properly I want to know so I can plan better for the next move (I move a lot). Here’s the breakdown:

By the time I got to the seller’s house (they were supposed to call me in advance but forgot) they had already maneuvered the piano through the trickiest part—at least two very tight turns and into a narrow hall. I asked the seller how things had gone so far, and she said something about them having to turn the piano on its side and almost upside down multiple times. There weren’t any ties around the piano to keep things like the lid from opening.

As they were getting the piano into position for the next part (moving it down the stairs) they put it through a full flip move (almost like a “piano cartwheel”), turning it completely upside down then back up again, even though there seemed to be ample room in the area at the top of the stairs for them get it into position while keeping it right side up.

My back was briefly turned as it started to be moved down the stairs, and I heard a loud thud. When I turned around, everything looked fine (piano was on the slider/dolly and didn’t look out of position), and they resumed going down the stairs right away, but something happened to cause that noise even though there was no apparent damage to the piano or the seller’s carpeted stairs.

Even though it was 30 degrees outside, they didn’t use any blankets until they put it in the van, and even then they only put blankets on it in areas where it needed padding so it wouldn’t hit against anything hard. They did secure it with ties once in the van.

I followed them back to my house. It was a forty mile drive, and they were practically racing there, going 80mph at some points on the highway, even over bumpy areas. At one point they had to swerve to get into the proper lane in time. They changed lanes a lot to stay in the fastest lane. Keep in mind this was a van, not a truck, and the piano must have been bouncing around quite a bit in there.

Once at my house things seemed to go smoothly, but the layout of my house is so easy that it was almost effortless. While here they still seemed to be in a huge rush—once the piano was in its final position, two of the guys left the house right away and went back to the van without saying bye (or anything), while the third guy had me write the check and sign the receipt before hurriedly leaving. I of course don’t need my piano movers to be friendly or chatty at all, but it felt odd. They were also really young (couldn’t have been older than early twenties).

This was my first time moving a piano, and the best way I can describe my impression of this experience is that it was not at all the careful, slow process I thought it would be, but instead was a very rushed process that involved piano flips, speeding, and other unexpected things. So I guess I’m wondering:
-How much abuse can a piano take during a move? What’s “normal” moving abuse vs. abnormal?
-Is it normal for movers to flip pianos upside down or on their side?
-Is it normal for movers not to use ties when turning a piano upside down or on its side?
-Is it normal for movers not to use blankets during cold temps?
-Do many movers use vans instead of trucks? Is a truck preferable?
-Are there concerns for the safety/integrity of the piano if it’s bouncing around a lot during the drive?
-Do good movers tend to work fast and zoom through the whole process, or do they tend to be slower?
-Any other observations or words of advice?

I want to know all of this because I tend to move at least once every few years, and I need to know what to look out for in the future. Thank you in advance for your help.

—K

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
It would be all too easy to speculate or cast judgement, especially since we weren't there and can only presume based on your view and interpretations.

Large uprights can be a little more tricky then a grand as grands were designed to be moved on its spine quite easily. Uprights have to be moved any way necessary to get them thru. Upside down (lid down and pedals up in the air) is a bit unorthodox. I have seen uprights laid horizontally to get over a banister rail to a landing below.

Rather than dissect each question here are some general recommendations about piano moving. Choose only a company that specializes in just piano moving and shipping. Get a recommendation from a piano technician in the area if you need local guidance. You may want a technician to prepare the piano for moving if the distance will be great. Make certain the selected moving company is fully licensed and insured for not only the transportation of the instrument but also any onsite damage that could occur.

Last edited by SMHaley; 12/19/14 04:35 PM.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
This is all within normal parameters. Remember. The piano is built to take 20 TONS of tension on the strings.

To turn it around, why would you think this was a problem? Will a guitar, violin accordion or sofa have a problem if it is turned upside down in moving? Why get hyper about the piano? The notes won't fall out the top . . . crazy laugh

The two most common things that happen are scratching (I'm just doing an insurance job for a small grand which was moved by animals) and loss of components. (Here at stevespianoservice.com, we get regular calls from people whose movers have lost the legs, pedal lyre, hinges and more.

So, relax and have a good technician look over the piano after it is in place. (www.ptg.org, click on "find and RPT).

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by kpembrook
This is all within normal parameters. Remember. The piano is built to take 20 TONS of tension on the strings.

To turn it around, why would you think this was a problem? Will a guitar, violin accordion or sofa have a problem if it is turned upside down in moving? Why get hyper about the piano? The notes won't fall out the top . . . crazy laugh

The two most common things that happen are scratching (I'm just doing an insurance job for a small grand which was moved by animals) and loss of components. (Here at stevespianoservice.com, we get regular calls from people whose movers have lost the legs, pedal lyre, hinges and more.

So, relax and have a good technician look over the piano after it is in place. (www.ptg.org, click on "find and RPT).

And what Keith said. I did hear about one instance Keith where an old upright (a Bausch & Lomb as memory serves) was turned upside down to get it down the stairs of a split level home. Apparently the owner liked to tinker with it and the action was not bolted down. You can guess what the rather expensive "thunk" was when it was turned upside down and, apparently, a few hammer heads came out with bits of broken shanks.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I move pianos occasionally in the course of my business.

These movers were fine. As Keith said, all within normal parameters.

One reason they might have been in a hurry is that they are probably paid by the job, and not the hour. And, they don't make a lot, so if customer service skills take a back seat to their ability to safely move a piano, then so be it.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
H
H
Originally Posted by SMHaley
It would be all too easy to speculate or cast judgement, especially since we weren't there and can only presume based on your view and interpretations.

What else do you need, a video??

HW

"Respond intelligently, even to unintelligent treatment."
-Lao Tzu
K
kaustin Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I really appreciate all of this advice and have read it over several times. It means a lot to get this feedback. I was getting paranoid that all the unusual (well, unusual to me) maneuvers and jostling it was put through could have caused some damage to the inside of the piano—the parts I have no ability to inspect and evaluate on my own. A technician is coming for tuning in a few weeks, and I'll make sure to have him inspect everything internally.

I did do my research before choosing this company. They are solely a piano moving company, are well reviewed online, and were recommended by a local technician. They are insured, though I didn't inquire as to different types of insurance and will do that in the future. They were also significantly more expensive than the other quotes I got, but I went with them because they seemed to be the most qualified and experienced.

I may have been expecting something different from what I observed because the technician who recommended them said they were better than other piano movers due to them taking their time and being extra careful during every step of the move, and what I observed didn't line up with that description. BUT that could just be unrealistic and impractical expectations on my part.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
No worries. Glad you were receptive to the feedback here.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss

What else do you need, a video??

HW

Sure! If its good enough for the court system its good enough for me.

I recall several years ago seeing a post from a concerned piano owner that had a grand and was having it moved. They were appalled that the movers would be so disrespectful to their piano by taking off the legs, lyre, and put it on its side. They were outraged.

HW, really now, if you aren't going to contribute anything other trying to pick fights with your one liners, perhaps you need a hobby? Or perhaps you need an instrument and lots of music to occupy your time.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
H
H

HW, really now, if you aren't going to contribute anything other trying to pick fights with your one liners, perhaps you need a hobby? Or perhaps you need an instrument and lots of music to occupy your time.

You are obviously overthinking and that's find and dandy with me.

HW

-Lao Tzu
H
H
Fine and Dandy. grin

-Lao Tzu
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Gentlemen, please. There are so few of us left.

This post title leads me to look for a crushing REPOST but not like this (or is that riposte)......

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission