2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
I will be working on replacing the dampers in my upright soon, provided the first test replacement goes smoothly. Ive read that many different glue types can be used, from elmers school glue to PVCE to hot hide glue. Id like to avoid dealing with HHG for now, especially since it seems that the other types will do just fine.

Any strong preferences for a reliable hold?

J
J
Please align yourself with the local PTG. This is not a self-help forum.

Regards,

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA
http://www.pianocapecod.com
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Jon Page

I apologize for all the "self-help" type questions. I understand this is not the place for excessive amounts of that. I have purchased some tools to help with my self teaching, so these types of questions should become far fewer.

I saw a post from about 4 years ago here discussing a similar topic, but I wasnt able to find an answer to this specific question. Any advice, or a link to information, that would help me decide on a satisfactory glue to use would be greatly appreciated. I will try to refrain from asking any of these types of questions anymore. Or at least for a good while. smile You are all just such a great resource on this forum, its hard not to want to take advantage of it!

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
I too would like some info. I own 6 pianos and there's no way I can afford a tech for all of them - especially as some are technically worthless!

Laissez tomber les mains
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hello Joe....Not sure why you got a non- answer here....I have asked self- help questions here since joining in 2005.

I just asked my technician, who has been restoring pianos for over 40+ years, what he uses to attach dampers...Sobo is his preferred glue...second choice would be a white "tacky" hobby glue. When it come time to remove the dampers, water will work. Hope that helps.

Happy Holidays! smile

Last edited by Grandpianoman; 12/23/14 02:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Well! well! Who is to say what the questions should be ! I could be ruder ! Mr Page ! Really !
My reason for joining is to enjoy good technical Q&A !
I am entirely self taught apart from the book by Reblitz (sp), and I have enjoyed endless hours of "totally wrecking - then repairing" a couple of pianos which I bought on auction or privately. Having gathered know-how I help my friends when they have problems.
In fact when living in S.Africa, I made a motor driven string winder for a friend who ran a piano restoration business.

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Grandpianoman
Hello Joe....Not sure why you got a non- answer here....I have asked self- help questions here since joining in 2005.

I just asked my technician, who has been restoring pianos for over 40+ years, what he uses to attach dampers...Sobo is his preferred glue...second choice would be a white "tacky" hobby glue. When it come time to remove the dampers, water will work. Hope that helps.

Happy Holidays! smile

Thank you Grandpianoman, I appreciate that. I will definitely invest in sobo, then! The small felts on the wood damper body from which the main damper felt detached from seem to be VERY firmly glued. Could hot hide glue have been used on this? I dont see a little water/alcohol bringing those little pads off, but Ill give it a try. Good to know water works with sobo, though.

And Goof, perhaps Ill be messaging you for some advice in the future!

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
If they're not coming off with steam or water, then they're not glued on with hide glue. That's the great advantage of hide glue, the work is reversible. You should give it a try.

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
J
OP Offline
J
What is the difference between sobo and PVCE when used for wood to felt joints? Ive seen the tutorials from howard piano industries where he uses PVCE glue for the front felt bushings inside the keys. Could sobo be used here as well, interchangeably?

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
The glue used should be:
1) Not too runny otherwise it will soak into the felt and wick glue away from the wood. That would not allow enough to stay on the wood to bond.
2) Not too thick otherwise not enough will wick into to felt fibres to grip.
3) A type of glue such that un-gluing is easy so that future technicians can remove it by simple means such as water, steam, heat, slicing, tugging etc.

Last edited by Chris Leslie; 12/23/14 08:59 PM.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Or just call a technician. Being able to change the oil on one's own car doesn't make them a mechanic. A former mentor once opined about DIY piano tinkerers when getting regular calls about how a piano owner could cheaply fix something themselves. His response was "if you have to call and ask its probably a job best left for a professional."

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by SMHaley
Or just call a technician. Being able to change the oil on one's own car doesn't make them a mechanic. A former mentor once opined about DIY piano tinkerers when getting regular calls about how a piano owner could cheaply fix something themselves. His response was "if you have to call and ask its probably a job best left for a professional."

This may be true in some cases, but many people are very capable with lots of potential, but just need some starting guidance and tips on tools and materials. O ye of little faith... smile

Last edited by JoeThePro; 12/23/14 06:23 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hot Hyde Glue.

Controllable, quick set, very tacky and stable.

Never mind the ease of removal when the time comes.

If you are not familiar with it, now is the time.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Duplicate ... erased.

Last edited by Larry Buck; 12/23/14 09:00 PM.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
J
J
Maybe the header of this forum should be changed to: The Online Piano Home Repair Tutorial, Learn at you own pace by asking basic questions, fix yer pianner yersef. Or maybe take the questions privately to those willing to mentor you.

Please do not hijack a professional forum with constant DIY queries. Don't think global, think local.

Regards,

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
J
J
Goof wrote: Well! well! Who is to say what the questions should be ! I could be ruder ! Mr Page ! Really !

At least I am up front about things and you know who I am and I do not hide behind some silly screenname. What have you to hide?

This is not a chat room where you want to hide in the shadows. Stand up, be proud of yourself and state your name. Or be left to be irrelevant.

Last edited by Jon Page; 12/23/14 09:10 PM.

Regards,

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JoeThePro
Originally Posted by SMHaley

This may be true in some cases, but many people are very capable with lots of potential, but just need some starting guidance and tips on tools and materials. O ye of little faith... smile

Presuming you do get the right size damper felts and do a reasonable job, do you have the experience to properly align and space them, in addition to regulating and adjusting the damper timing? This is not just a simple little craft project of replacing.

PTG Associate
AIO Regular Member
ASCAP
Pipe Organ Builder
Chief Instrument Technician, Director, Chancel Arts
Church Music Professional
AA Music Arts 2001, BM Organ, Choral 2005

Baldwin F 1960 (146256)
Zuckermann Flemish Single
J
J
[quote= This is not just a simple little craft project of replacing.[/quote]

Many full time tuners/techs do not fully comprehend the nuance of damper work. You are way over your head. Seek professional help.

Regards,

Jon Page
Piano technician/tuner
J
OP Offline
J
Jon Page:
It is obvious that you are an incredibly bitter, rude, inside-the-box thinker. Stop hijacking this thread with your negativity towards me and other members of this forum. You are not representing yourself or this community well at all. You seem to have a vested interest in preventing me from working on my own piano. Why is this? What do you have to lose from me getting first hand experience on a nearly worthless 100 year old piano? If I mess it up, I surely wont be calling you for help, no worries.
I was also not aware this was a professionals-only forum. I was not asked to provide my business id or a PTG member number when I signed up. Perhaps you should stick to the members-only section of the PTG discussion boards.
About your comment to Goof, God forbid people get a little creative, or want some privacy when on the internet. Grow up, this is getting ridiculous.

SMHaley:
Crafts? You think I'm stupid enough to consider piano maintenance a crafting exercise? WTF is wrong with you people? I'm an engineer, I know my way around complex and intricate mechanisms. Pretty sure I can use all those research skills that school taught me to figure out all that is necessary to properly replace the dampers (already have, mostly). And if I fail, not that big of a deal. The piano is worthless anyway. Hey, then maybe I could use it as a crafting table, buddy! Don't be so presumptuous. I think there's a famous saying about that...

I would like to thank the earlier posters who provided actual advice. I'll run with that.

Last edited by JoeThePro; 12/23/14 11:44 PM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoeThePro
Jon Page:
It is obvious that you are an incredibly bitter, rude, inside-the-box thinker. Stop hijacking this thread with your negativity towards me and other members of this forum. You are not representing yourself or this community well at all. You seem to have a vested interest in preventing me from working on my own piano. Why is this? What do you have to lose from me getting first hand experience on a nearly worthless 100 year old piano? If I mess it up, I surely wont be calling you for help, no worries.
I was also not aware this was a professionals-only forum. I was not asked to provide my business id or a PTG member number when I signed up. Perhaps you should stick to the members-only section of the PTG discussion boards.
About your comment to Goof, God forbid people get a little creative, or want some privacy when on the internet. Grow up, this is getting ridiculous.

SMHaley:
Crafts? You think I'm stupid enough to consider piano maintenance a crafting exercise? WTF is wrong with you people? I'm an engineer, I know my way around complex and intricate mechanisms. Pretty sure I can use all those research skills that school taught me to figure out all that is necessary to properly replace the dampers (already have, mostly). And if I fail, not that big of a deal. The piano is worthless anyway. Hey, then maybe I could use it as a crafting table, buddy! Don't be so presumptuous. I think there's a famous saying about that...

I would like to thank the earlier posters who provided actual advice. I'll run with that.

Haha! Love your attitude, Joe! Kick butt!

Yes, some people are jealous, and do not what to see others
succeed in their field of work.

And in fact, some who tell you not to work on your own piano are actually NOT RPTs themselves, do NOT work full-time as piano techs, and are actually just glorified part-time DIYers themselves!!

If you are an engineer like me, or are mechanically inclined, you won't have a problem learning the basics of pianos. It's not rocket science.

Any standard aliphatic resin wood glue should work for dampers.

It helps to put people on "ignore" on this forum. If they don't help you out at the beginning, they likely will never offer any good advice.

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!

grin ha thumb

Last edited by Paul678; 12/24/14 12:10 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission