2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2362430 12/16/14 06:02 PM
B
Byrotte Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I seem to get tendonitis. Its not painfull.. Its unpleasent sometimes and the muscles are weak. The fingers don't have the same strenght as before. I can't practice in long sessions because the underarm gets tense.
Problem is that I can't stop practicing..
Someone got experience with tendonitis? Can it be harmfull to countine practice?
My rists and arms feel wierd and my elbows make a clicking/cracking sound if I stretch my arms out.. Same goes with wrists if I move them in circles.

Thanks!

Last edited by Byrotte; 12/16/14 06:09 PM.
Byrotte #2362439 12/16/14 06:32 PM
M
M
Hi Byrotte,
what you describe can develop in to long term problems. It won't go away by ignoring it and continuing to do what has caused the condition in the first place.
I suggest you go to a good physio for proper diagnosis and right rehab exercises.
You need to work out the cause, such as playing too long without sufficient rest, tension and stiffness, poor technique perhaps, a lot of time typing on the computer, or maybe other causes ? All these can be addressed. Better now than later when real pain stops you!
Why can't you stop practicing , do you have a deadline for a recital or exam?

Regards,
Melanie

Byrotte #2362442 12/16/14 06:39 PM
B
Byrotte Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Had my exams last week so thats what probably gave me the condition in the first place. Alot of practice..
But I generally want to practice and I have a genuine fear off taking two steps back and getting worse at the piano!
And when I am not playing piano I am more or likely typing on the computer.. I should probably relax with a 10 season tv show or something!

Last edited by Byrotte; 12/16/14 06:40 PM.
Byrotte #2362447 12/16/14 06:46 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
I wouldn't ignore tendonitis. If the underlying cause is ignored and the causative action is continued, it can only get worse and lead onto permanent damage. The underlying cause may be overuse of muscles, a specific repetitive action, incorrect use of joints, stretch under tension beyond normal ranges, and so on, and this applies to many walks of life not just playing piano. So usually you should stop what you are doing and seek help. For piano a teacher is a good start, do you have one? There are piano methods that make claims to avoid injuries or help healing, check them out. A physio/ortho-therapist may help with strengthening and stretches. A doctor would be good to check you don't have any rheumatic or immune system predispositions, and if necessary a dietician to ensure you're eating want you need. But don't continue and ignore it.

Byrotte #2362451 12/16/14 06:55 PM
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Other comments are right, you don't want to ignore this. If it really is tendonitis, it can seriously interfere with your playing and take a long time to heal. I was able to recover with Taubman method retraining, but far better to learn correct movement and not injure yourself in the first place! Experts on this are at www.golandskyinstitute.org/. There's also also some good information at http://www.wellbalancedpianist.com

1989 Baldwin R
Byrotte #2362456 12/16/14 07:27 PM
B
Byrotte Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have a teacher.. But I also play lute so I have pretty long practice sessions!
Any good books on piano technique?
Both posture, touch etc..
And independence of the fingers, strengthening etc.. Hanon is the best?
Any good book on scales too? When were at it! Haha smile
Whats the must have books for piano technique to make the complete libary? Simple said..
I never understood the terms for example russian technique etc.. I honestly dont know what technique I have.. The only thing I know is that I get my weight down to the floor, focus on active and straight back posture!
Thanks guys.. Ill se my doctor!

Last edited by Byrotte; 12/16/14 08:04 PM.
Byrotte #2362463 12/16/14 07:48 PM
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Byrotte

... But I generally want to practice and I have a genuine fear off taking two steps back and getting worse at the piano! ...

Practice happens in your head as much, if not more, than in your hands. Give your hands a break and put in some time practicing in your head (with and without the score), away from the keyboard. You won't take any steps back and you may find new paths forward.

Larry.

Byrotte #2362485 12/16/14 08:36 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Byrotte
I have a teacher.. But I also play lute so I have pretty long practice sessions!
Any good books on piano technique?
Both posture, touch etc..

What Every Pianist Needs to Know About the Body seems like a good place to start.

Poetry is rhythm
Byrotte #2362553 12/17/14 12:33 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
40 year veteran pro here. My recent approach to my life long tendinitis is to play with less curved fingers when possible and play with my whole arms, "lift and drop don't press". I also need to be more aware of keeping my shoulder/neck very relaxed and maintain even deep breathing and getting in the "flow" (see wiki).
Stretch after playing, frequent warm bath soaks or just hand soaks/.

Byrotte #2363255 12/18/14 10:22 PM
P
P
Hello Byrotte,

Regarding your tendonitis - another person wrote to find the cause of your tendonitis. That is correct and stop the cause. I've had it and didn't know how to care for it. Someone told me don't worry about it; just use your arm. That is absolutely the worst thing to do. (things that bothered me: using a using a mouse, turning pages of a book,
scrubbing a floor, carrying a briefcase)

1. Find the cause stop whatever activity is the cause.

2. Rest your arm and put ice on your arm for no more than 15
minutes at a time (longer than 15 minutes could cause nerve
damage).

3. See a good orthopedic doctor. He may advise you to have cortisone
shots. They only work for a short period of time, but they do
help. They don't like to give too many, but if you can get better
with them and then start exercises for your arm you may avoid
surgery.

I've been through this and had to have surgery because I tore the tendons in my arm. I was working and traveling at the time. Carrying
baggage, briefcase, purse etc. did not help. I think that is how I ended up tearing the tendons. I wasn't playing my piano at that time, but I know it would have been painful.

Good luck and hope you get to feeling better!

pfpiano123 #2363258 12/18/14 10:29 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pfpiano123

3. See a good orthopedic doctor. He may advise you to have cortisone
shots. They only work for a short period of time, but they do
help. They don't like to give too many

A word of warning - steroid injections into tendons can weaken them permanently.

That's why they are totally contra-indicated in Achilles tendonitis.

Personally, I'd just rest, wear an elbow brace, use NSAID gel, and look at my technique if it's caused by piano playing. In my case, it was caused by tennis and badminton (over a decade ago). Eventually, I gave them up completely - piano and swimming were far more important for me......

If music be the food of love, play on!

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission