2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jane F Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I've just started playing piano again after a break of about 10 -15 years. I've never had lessons and play mainly by ear; popular music, show tunes, jazz etc. Anything non-classical, basically. I can sight read a little bit and have some knowledge of music theory so I know all the scales and arpeggios. I can play a melody without the written music after hearing it a few times, and I only use sheet music for the chords.

I started playing like this about 25 years ago, after playing with a guitarist who was learning jazz we played together from vocal/piano/guitar scores. I learned to relate the guitar chords to the piano for the harmony. I played the melody from memory and just improvised the left hand bass bits using runs, arpeggios etc.

I'd liek to pass on my knowledge and I have had several people over the years who have asked me to teach them. But I'm not sure how as I do a lot of it by ear and feel.. and instinct!! I'd be wiiling to take some lessons to learn myself and a teaching qualification. I also have people I can practice my teaching methods on - including my 10 year old stepson. If anyone can advise me or give me any useful links to books/online videos I would be grateful, thanks.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Take on an adult student who is willing to be a guinea pig, and give you teaching feedback while you give him or her lessons. Don't inflict this on a family member, or a child. And be sure to charge a lower fee, or teach for nothing, during your apprenticeship.

You might blossom at this.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Be up front with the student about your qualifications.

Learner
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Why should Jane charge a lower fee, or nothing at all? Why not charge what the market will bear, as long as she's upfront about her qualifications?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The best way to learn is to observe lessons taught by a great teacher.

Continuing to develop as a musician yourself is important too. Maybe if you connect with a good teacher for you, you could arrange to observe that person teaching others.

(Observing lessons is very different from receiving them -- you can focus on what the teacher is doing and why, without being distracted by having to play the piano!)

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hello Jane,

Anyone who wants to teach really well should be an active learner themselves. Those 'teachers' who merely pontificate about what they already know but are not actively learning as well make for unimaginative and dull teachers. So my first bit of collegial advice is to actively learn all you can and improve your own abilities (if only for your student's sake) as long as you are alive.

You ask what you should study to prepare for teaching. The short answer is you should read and observe everything you can possibly lay your hands on. Take note of how beginner books of all types proceed - that does not mean you should necessarily follow their lead, but when you observe a variety of methods by others it gives you some points of reference. There are a couple of books published about how to set up a music studio for teaching. I do not endorse them necessarily, but they present some generic information you should know - a quick google search or amazon search will bring those books up and you can assess if they might be of value to you. That will at least get you started thinking about how to organize your teaching method and presentation.

Having been taught by eight major teachers (not including theory, composition, etc.) I have an experiential reference of eight different teaching styles to draw upon to determine which approaches do or do not work, yet all of those are of lesser significance to the artistic values I live and teach born of my own development. If you did not have extensive experience with years of lessons, consider rummaging through YouTube for examples of piano lessons. It is easy to be sidelined on YouTube because it has literally millions of videos, but you will find your way to what you need that can provide some objective references to consider as examples to help build you own teaching approach.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Pianostudent 88 asks a reasonable question: why do I maintain that Jane should charge a lesser fee at first, or teach for free?

Jane can charge whatever she wishes, but clearly she deems herself at most a tentative beginner at teaching. She's not even an apprentice teacher at present, just someone kicking around a vague idea. I figured she would gain a bit of security if at first she concentrated on gathering a few skills, not on earning income. And of course it's fairer to the real piano teachers in Jane's community, most of whom are probably struggling to earn a living.

T
T
Originally Posted by Jane F
I've just started playing piano again after a break of about 10 -15 years. I've never had lessons and play mainly by ear; popular music, show tunes, jazz etc. Anything non-classical, basically. I can sight read a little bit and have some knowledge of music theory so I know all the scales and arpeggios. I can play a melody without the written music after hearing it a few times, and I only use sheet music for the chords.

I started playing like this about 25 years ago, after playing with a guitarist who was learning jazz we played together from vocal/piano/guitar scores. I learned to relate the guitar chords to the piano for the harmony. I played the melody from memory and just improvised the left hand bass bits using runs, arpeggios etc.

I'd liek to pass on my knowledge and I have had several people over the years who have asked me to teach them. But I'm not sure how as I do a lot of it by ear and feel.. and instinct!! I'd be wiiling to take some lessons to learn myself and a teaching qualification. I also have people I can practice my teaching methods on - including my 10 year old stepson. If anyone can advise me or give me any useful links to books/online videos I would be grateful, thanks.

Good on you, Jane. I say be upfront about your training and learn as you go. It sounds like you're passionate and that goes a long way in my opinion. An adult student who is happy to be your guinea pig is a great idea. You may find my blog helpful for teaching tips and ideas - especially as a new teacher (link below).

Tim Topham
www.timtopham.com
Inner Circle Piano Teachers' Community
Expert in Creativity in Music Education
Melbourne, Australia
J
Jane F Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not even thinking about fees at the moment to be honest. I do have some willing 'guinea pigs' in my family - my partner is a music loving, creative person and is learning guitar and would like to learn some piano. His son (10) is also creative and is interested in learning piano. So I think this is a good thing. I have bought the first John Thompson book for teaching piano as I looked in the local childrens library and online, and liked this look of this series. Don't know if any of you have come across it. I will look on Youtube for teaching videos and try to find a teacher who is willing to let me observe a lesson too.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I have bought the first John Thompson book for teaching piano as I looked in the local childrens library and online, and liked this look of this series. Don't know if any of you have come across it.

Oh yes, some of us have heard of it.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I have bought the first John Thompson book for teaching piano as I looked in the local childrens library and online, and liked this look of this series. Don't know if any of you have come across it.

Oh yes, some of us have heard of it.

My, oh my. Is that the ultimate understatement of the century??
cool
Many of us have used it, survived it, ripped it to shreds. And then moved on to something vastly superior.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by timtopham
An adult student who is happy to be your guinea pig is a great idea.

If so, then it should be an adult student who has been given a solid foundation by a prior teacher. The shaping of someone's first playing should not be done on a guinea pig basis, and adult beginners are especially vulnerable. They have no advocate (parent) and they have had the courage to invest in a dream at an age where "it's not usually done".

I very much like the idea of guidance on teaching through an experienced and competent teacher.

Jane, the lengthy discussions on John Thomson may be archived by now - if not they are worth reading. In a nutshell, JT uses extensive finger numbers. On the short run, it appears on the surface that students will "advance fast" because of these numbers. But it creates a dependence on reading numbers, which interferes with the ability to read notes. Note reading is especially challenging for piano, because of the many notes that a pianist plays.

If JT stays in 5 finger position in a "home key" (I don't know if it does) then you get a second problem together with finger numbers. The student will associate C with the RH thumb (1), D = 2, E = 3 etc. Of course these notes can be played with any finger. This association can create confusion later on, and again interfere with true reading.

In summary these are the precautions that were voiced in this forum in the past.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Keystring - both your posts are outstanding advice.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Pianostudent 88 asks a reasonable question: why do I maintain that Jane should charge a lesser fee at first, or teach for free?

Jane can charge whatever she wishes, but clearly she deems herself at most a tentative beginner at teaching. She's not even an apprentice teacher at present, just someone kicking around a vague idea. I figured she would gain a bit of security if at first she concentrated on gathering a few skills, not on earning income. And of course it's fairer to the real piano teachers in Jane's community, most of whom are probably struggling to earn a living.

I took my first student when I was eighteen after ten years of formal training and after completing a Grade X Royal Conservatory exam ( first class). I charged about half price based on other "real" piano teachers. And made it very clear that I hadn't yet completed my teaching diploma. Only when I completed my ARCT a year later, did I dare to ask the regular fees. After another degree in Solfege from the Quebec Conservatoire and a graduate degree from Juilliard, I raised my rates to the upper levels.

Some time ago, I gave a lecture for "Career Night" in a local High School and when I had finished a sassy student suggested teaching music would be an "easy way" to earn a good salary. I grabbed a piece of chalk and tabulated the years I spent practicing, the exams and competitions I entered to finance my studies in the best schools and told him that if he wanted easy money, he'd better avoid studying brain surgery AND piano teaching.

"Real" teachers spend years and years acquiring not only their formal education, but the knowledge and sensitivity it takes to teach well. It isn't a hobby ... it's a vocation.

You can find a lot of suggestions on teaching and choosing a teacher on my website, which I've devoted to furthering musical education.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
HappyPianoMuse, Well said.

I also enjoyed your website btw. If I lived in Hawaii, I might have been knocking on your door smile

I would most definitely NOT be knocking on the door of any half-baked want-to-dabble-at-piano-teaching persona.

(I am a student)

[Linked Image]XXXVII-XXXVIII
I pray, that tomorrow I may strive to be a little better than I am today - and, on behalf of everybody else, I give thanks for headphones.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Jane, the lengthy discussions on John Thomson may be archived by now - if not they are worth reading. In a nutshell, JT uses extensive finger numbers.

That, and the fact that JT assumes every kid is a prodigy and can play a classical sonata by book five.

However, to his credit, JT does have a nice ear for tunes. I've supplemented my students with a couple of selections from JT books.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission