2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2358507 12/05/14 12:17 PM
OP Offline
Hi There!

I am about to head into my first spring with enough students to justify a recital and I have a few questions.
1) What is a good length for a recital (I.E. At what point should I divide it into two recitals)
2)When should we begin picking recital music?
3) What have you found that helps your kids get ready for recitals efficiently and with as little anxiety as possible.
4) what are some of the difficulties you encountered when teaching your kids to memorize music and how did you solve that problem?

I have a venue and am planning to do a "group party" to help everyone prepare. I just want to make sure I have a firm plan and timeline before the new year hits smile

Angela

"Prayer is when you talk to God, Meditation is when you are listening, Playing the piano allows you to do both at the same time"
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Spring? You must be in Australia.

30-45 minutes is a good length for a recital program. Anything longer than that will warrant an intermission. Or just split the recital in two.

I give most students two months of preparation for recital music. Of course, late-intermediate and advanced students need a lot more time. It also depends on the nature of the repertoire. But I give everybody at least two months, including beginners who are playing 8-bar pieces.

Most normal kids can memorize music without prompting. Actually, I have to tell kids to STOP memorizing, so that we can have a chance to fix technical problems and wrong notes before they become crystallized.

In my experience, kids who can't memorize often fall into one of these categories:

1) lazy (those who don't practice much)
2) undisciplined (those who can't follow directions)
3) below-average intelligence
4) severe psychological problem like stage fright
5) have extremely pushy parents, and they're playing piano out of fear
6) have parents who are completely "hands off" and/or aloof

I don't have a solution, other than letting the kids use their books at recitals. The audience can conclude whatever they want about the kids who don't memorize.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
The audience can conclude whatever they want about the kids who don't memorize.

What is the point of making kids memorize music for a recital, unless they are budding concert pianists?

Other than loading on yet another potential source of stress on kids who don't need it?

If music be the food of love, play on!
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Spring? You must be in Australia.
No way! It's well and truly summer here already.

Du holde Kunst...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Length of recital -- best if there are no more than 45 minutes between intermissions (or split it up). If the audience is mostly adults you can push it to an hour but consider the likelihood of numerous fidgety young siblings.

Preparing music -- I only let students perform pieces that have been mastered for at least a month. Every time I've made an exception, the student has had a very poor performing experience. Sometimes a student will want to perform a piece that was once mastered but has gotten rusty, and I will let them polish it up within a couple weeks of the recital and then perform it. That's much more doable and it's often a great experience to bring an old piece to a higher level even over that short span of time.

Yes, the students do care about the quality of their performances; they feel great when it goes well and horrible when it goes badly, no matter how positively I and their parents respond. So I have learned that it's my job to create the best chances for a successful performance.

Memory -- Most of my students are more comfortable when playing from memory, but there are exceptions, and even some of the memorizers just feel better with the book in front of them. I don't know that I would ever require memory unless it was for a competition or other event where you had to memorize.

There is a difficult point in the learning process when the piece is partly but not completely memorized. It's so hard to switch back and forth between reading and focusing on sound. If a student gets to that point with a piece and the recital is near, we usually pick a "backup plan" piece. (I personally hate performing partly-memorized pieces myself, it feels very insecure.)

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission