2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by slowtraveler
Macy,

Which iOS app do you prefer for controlling the Mac Mini?

Regards,

Ben

I've been experimenting. I'm using Mocha VNC right now, and will try (Real) VNC Viewer soon. It really boils down to personal preference on how you like to make mouse movements and move around the Mac desktop on the iPad touchscreen. There are so many VNC iPad apps for controlling a Mac its almost ridiculous. I don't how to pick the "best" but I only want to use one that is pure VNC and works with the Mac built-in VNC Screen Sharing, i.e. not one that requires a proprietary server program to be loaded on the Mac.

BTW, I'm currently using an iMac for my pianos, but it's 2 years old so I'll be giving it to my grand-daughters and switching to the Mac Mini/iPad. I currently do all the piano iMac setup using VNC Screen Sharing from the Mac Pro in my den anyway and seldom use the keyboard sitting next to the iMac and only use its mouse to control the piano programs while I'm playing.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
S
S
Originally Posted by Macy

I've been experimenting. I'm using Mocha VNC right now, and will try (Real) VNC Viewer soon...

Thanks for sharing that. There is an unreasonable profusion of these VNC apps floating around.

The combination of Mini/iPad/software piano with the right keyboard is extremely appealing. I'm pretty certain that's the direction I want to go next. Looking forward to NAMM for some good news about MIDI controllers.

Regards,

B.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by btcomm
Anyone have any experience comparing the Acoustic Piano sound of the Nord Piano 2 and the Roland V-Piano? I briefly played the V but it had pretty crappy speakers hooked up and really couldn't get a feel for the piano sound as much as I'd like. I've heard the Nord Piano 2 has very large samples for the piano and of course the V is modeled but just wondering comparing just the sound of both acoustic pianos if the V is worth spending 3-4 grand more if only concerned about the sound.

Few points:
1) What's most important for you? Do you want a playing experience more similar to playing a grand piano, or, do you really like a particular sound? Sound is very subjective. I've grown up with the Yamaha sound and picked the Tyros 5 grand piano in a blind test in comparison to Nord Stage 2, which was quite a surprise to me. Blind test: Nord vs. Korg vs. Roland vs. Yamaha piano sounds

2) For best comparison, you'll need to wear expensive headphones. As even top quality headphones vary in how they suit an instrument like the v-piano/AvantGrand/Nord P2 etc, that might take a bit of research.

3) Playing around with digital EQ's, DSPs, and other effects parameters is a great way to improve the sound to match your taste.

4) The basic v-piano out of the box isn't tweaked. By changing the parameters to remove the perfection (how each note is exactly perfect, homogeneous), you can vastly improve the sound. However, if you don't like the quality of the sound, tweaking won't make a difference. It is difficult to go to a music store and tweak a v-piano; however, some people have posted their alterations online, for instance: v-piano tweaking .

5) What are you going to do with the stage piano you buy? Are you gigging or just playing at home? If it's a home piano, you could also try the Kawai MP11, that has a nice action and can be tweaked to sound pretty competitive with the Nord.

Leaving the cost out of the equation, first ask yourself what you want, what's important to you? Is it action, dynamic response, or sound? You could always buy a second hand v-piano if you decide you like it. I actually like the sound of the V-piano, but am not too keen on the Supernatural Roland grand piano sound. The Nord samples are good and the action reasonable (not great, but ok). What's cool about the Nord is the layout of the nobs (for live performance) and effects you can apply. I had good fun for about 40 minutes playing with the Nord's effects at the store. A V-piano is more fun to play as a piano, more involving, but needs to be set up well to appreciate. Also, the V is a bit of a beast to carry around.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
zombie thread. Interesting what OP finally did?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
L
L
I gave up on the VST lark, one must be a tech wizard to run virtual pianos and controllers.

“To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.” ~ Chang Tzu
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by leafhound
I gave up on the VST lark, one must be a tech wizard to run virtual pianos and controllers.

This is an intriguing comment because, first, this is a thread about two digital pianos, not involving VSTs at all. And, second, because in your footer note, you claim to have an M-Audio controller and Ableton, a very complex and advanced virtual studio itself.

Whereas there are lots of people on this forum running VSTs with a basic Yamaha or Casio DP and Galaxy Vintage D or Pianoteq, say, in the computer - I'm not sure they count themselves as 'tech wizards'.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by leafhound

Maybe 5-10 years ago, however I don't believe this is the case today.

Most modern computers are powerful enough to run virtual piano software out of the box (using ASIO4All for lower latency under Windows), while controllers can be connected with a single USB cable - it's very much plug & play.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by krzyzowski
The Nord is trully a Hoot. Like a Porsche. Plug in some power and it does it all. Love that aftertouch!

Just to be clear, I think the Nord piano doesn't have aftertouch, but the Nord stage 2 does. Also, I don't know if mine is typical, but my nord stage 2 requires an ungodly amount of force to get the aftertouch to activate. It's very unpleasant to use, not comfortable at all.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
D
D
Originally Posted by btcomm
Anyone have any experience comparing the Acoustic Piano sound of the Nord Piano 2 and the Roland V-Piano? I briefly played the V but it had pretty crappy speakers hooked up and really couldn't get a feel for the piano sound as much as I'd like. I've heard the Nord Piano 2 has very large samples for the piano and of course the V is modeled but just wondering comparing just the sound of both acoustic pianos if the V is worth spending 3-4 grand more if only concerned about the sound.

You might want to consider the Kurzweil Forte if you're looking at boards in this price range. Blows them both away imho.
(I'm biased, I worked on the Forte.)

Here's the review from Keyboard Mag:
http://www.keyboardmag.com/combo---do-all/1191/kurzweil-forte-reviewed/49389

Audio demos:
http://kurzweil.com/product/forte/audio/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission