2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Chrisl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Here are some things to consider:
- How do you feel after each lesson- invigorated and excited to try out what you've learned, or frustrated to the point of not wanting to continue piano? (some frustration is to be expected, but not at the cost of desiring to play)
- Has he directed his behavior towards you at all?
- Have you made efforts to discourage such discussion in your lessons by either redirecting to questions or issues you had with your practice, or by being frank and asking him not to discuss such things with you?

Depending on how you answer these questions will hopefuly help you determine how you should proceed.

Well it seems that the responses reflect my mixed emotion about him as well. Thank you all again for sharing your thoughts.

Morodiene, great questions.
1. I do feel invigorated and most def. excited to try the new things we discussed. The further/better I've gotten too, it seems I'm more excited than when I began. I like the music better too now which helps.

2. Nope. Not at all. That I would not tolerate.

3. No I haven't. I didn't want to be rude...and I guess my professional attitude 'make no judgement on people' (heck, believe me, everyone has their hangups and what's normal is well...pretty varied). And, I didn't want to upset him and effect my lessons not that he ever has gotten angry or acted out in anyway. He is just the way he is...and I've been very willing to overlook some of his behavior, it was just this whole lack of an empathic response to my losses that upset me most and made me bring this topic up.

Hreichgott, 'Sounds like not a normal person but maybe a very good teacher.' Pretty much exactly.

Much food for thought.
Chris

Yamaha P105, Ravenscroft275, Ivory II Am Concert D, Sennheiser HD650.

New sound setup: Midi out to macbook, FW 800 to Metric Halo LIO 8 DAC to HD650's. Very Nice.
Chris,

Does he know you're a psychiatrist?

If so, his blabbing about his personal life may just be nervous fear that you're quietly judging him from a clinical perspective. (And it sounds like maybe you are.)

Or maybe in a subconscious way he wants to know if he's psychologically "normal" and he's "fishing" for your feedback.

A lot of people don't know what to say to someone who has a death in the family. They're afraid of saying the wrong thing, and so might not say anything. I wouldn't read a lot into that.

It sounds like he has some obnoxious opinions, but so does a big percentage of America if you ask me. We have to take people as we find them much of the time, don't you think?

"Lack of humanity" seems a bit harsh. That sounds like a true psychopath, like a serial killer. You're not worried that he's dangerous, are you? If so, drop him.

You're paying for the lesson, so if he spends too much time talking about himself, I'd just pull out one of a few stock subject-changing sentences:

"Well, that's a conversation for another day! Let's get to the music."

"I'd like your opinion on my hand position in this passage."

"Watch out for those psychopathic killers on Craigslist - they're everywhere! Now about these first 4 measures...."

You can make up others and use them as needed.

He's not your patient. You're not getting paid to listen to him talk about himself. Talk about the weather at the start of the lesson, and then direct the conversation to music.

Just my $.02.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission