2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
52 registered members (Chrispy, 3am_stargazing, Charles Cohen, Chernobieff Piano, 15 invisible), 351 guests, and 457 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: Mta88] #2353029 11/21/14 01:27 AM
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
To tie "bummers" and the V-Piano/Grand together, I go sick last week with something like a cold, but nastier in that it seems to hang around forever with a cough that just beats me up. My V-Grand is sitting in my living room with the cover closed and my head in a sort of fog. I am reluctant to play it at the moment because I am all too aware of ruining the muscle memory in my hands that I have worked hard to ingrain properly as the foundation for everything I want to play. I know "this too shall pass", but it seems like forever. I suppose that is why I am posting so much lately. When I start playing again, that will decrease quite a bit. smile

Holiday time is tough for a lot of people. Those who are alone or otherwise left out of the festivities feel such things much more acutely during holidays. Some people in this situation will volunteer to help serve meals to the homeless, maybe play piano in an old folks' home, hospital, or similar situation.

My wife and I tend to "hide" during the holidays and avoid the shopping frenzy that seems to permeate the atmosphere for increasingly longer periods every year.

Interesting about box.net. I will have to see if my stuff is affected. I had some guitar things out there years ago, but have not checked in quite some time.

Tony

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: Markarian] #2353043 11/21/14 02:59 AM
D
dire tonic Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Markarian
Can someone gently explain to me why the V-Piano is better than a Kawai VPC1 or MP11 with a half-decent laptop running Pianoteq on it? What makes it worth $7000?

So many factors play into this; preference of musical styles (and the sound required for them), choice of action, sensibility to latency - some will prefer the VPC1/software piano combination, or the MP11, irrespective of price advantage.

A high retail cost can itself confer a caché which transcends any intrinsic qualities.

I should say I don't have first hand knowledge of the VPiano but having a blues/R&B bent I'm fairly sure it wouldn't suit me.

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: bennevis] #2353057 11/21/14 04:42 AM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by bennevis
...but I did manage to download (or is it 'upload'?) the Pianoteq free trial version into my laptop and tried it with my V-Piano a few weeks ago.

This is quite a puzzling thing for a self-proclaimed technophobe who is permanently ecstatic with/enamoured of, their V-Piano to do. I assume you would say it was mere idle curiosity that drove you to do this?

Either way, I happen to agree. V-Piano is superior to PianoTeq.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000
Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: pv88] #2353079 11/21/14 06:22 AM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by pv88
OT - Extra note:

Looks like I will be making my dinner on both Thanksgiving & Christmas this year (from here on out) since I have no more relatives or other family to have dinner with (but I no longer care either as I miss the food more than the family) and this means having to make a basic bowl of porridge and a sandwich, or, if I feel like being really fancy, might heat up some tasty Spaghettio's and add green beans along with cheese and crackers. I no longer miss eating the funky bird since the f*****g tryptophan in it makes me way too tired and sluggish! I never was a fan of eating bird, anyway. More power to those who eat everything else. Skip the lousy "traditional" fare. It's every man for himself on these proclaimed holidays!

[Linked Image]

Also, I would have ordered the local Chinese takeout in my area on Thanksgiving, but it is "closed" on that day, and is open on Christmas, instead. Never heard of a Chinese place that considers Thanksgiving Day to be friggin' holiday (?) which leaves the average Joe out in the cold looking for a meal.

Anybody else does the same?

I'm working Christmas Day through until 4.00am Boxing Day. And I found out this week I shall be doing the same next year! So Christmas is cancelled in our house. Food-wise I shall just be scavenging all the chocolates and other junk food lying about in the office at this time of year, a bit like an urban fox.

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: dire tonic] #2353097 11/21/14 08:03 AM
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Originally Posted by Markarian
Can someone gently explain to me why the V-Piano is better than a Kawai VPC1 or MP11 with a half-decent laptop running Pianoteq on it? What makes it worth $7000?

So many factors play into this; preference of musical styles (and the sound required for them), choice of action, sensibility to latency - some will prefer the VPC1/software piano combination, or the MP11, irrespective of price advantage.

A high retail cost can itself confer a caché which transcends any intrinsic qualities.

I should say I don't have first hand knowledge of the VPiano but having a blues/R&B bent I'm fairly sure it wouldn't suit me.

For me, it has been interesting to read the forum that discusses acoustic pianos as well as the digital forum. I have seen strong opinions expressed about the differences between acoustic pianos, as well as those expressed here. To me, it all underscores that each person simply must try whatever piano s/he is interested in and make up his or her own mind based on that experience.

In an earlier post, I gave reasons that I felt the V-Grand was a good purchase for me regrading getting the same type of results from it as I do when playing an acoustic. Living in a condo and being able to play a digital piano that seems to accurately mimic the issues I will encounter when playing an acoustic instrument is worth the extra money I had to pay for the V-Grand. I could afford it because there are a lot of things many people buy and take for granted (new cars, smart phones and associated monthly service fees, houses, vacations, etc.), that I don't. We all make choices based on our particular needs and interests. The choices one person makes may not necessarily be suitable for another, but are (hopefully) suitable for that person making the choice. It is therefore a good thing we have so many pianos (digital and acoustic) to choose from.

Tony

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: EssBrace] #2353098 11/21/14 08:04 AM
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by EssBrace

I'm working Christmas Day through until 4.00am Boxing Day. And I found out this week I shall be doing the same next year! So Christmas is cancelled in our house. Food-wise I shall just be scavenging all the chocolates and other junk food lying about in the office at this time of year, a bit like an urban fox.

This is most intriguing. What sort of office is it that works through these hours - especially in the UK! Are you a detective inspector or chief constable, perhaps?

When I lived in England, the entire country shut down for the days - nay weeks - surrounding Christmas. Indeed, many if not most people wandered round half cut for much of the winter from what I remember. Perhaps times have changed.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: toddy] #2353139 11/21/14 10:33 AM
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toddy

This is most intriguing. What sort of office is it that works through these hours - especially in the UK! Are you a detective inspector or chief constable, perhaps?

When I lived in England, the entire country shut down for the days - nay weeks - surrounding Christmas. Indeed, many if not most people wandered round half cut for much of the winter from what I remember. Perhaps times have changed.

Santa?

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: toddy] #2353151 11/21/14 10:57 AM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
....Are you a detective inspector....perhaps?

How perceptive! Although you've given me a very welcome promotion. Detective Sergeant in fact. Christmas can be odd. Families come together at this time of year and they soon realise why they don't have much to do with one another the rest of the time. Add a little alcohol and by Christmas Day afternoon they are knifing one another or smashing each other over the head. Then someone calls the Police...

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: Beemer] #2353156 11/21/14 10:58 AM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Beemer
Santa?

Close, but red was never my colour!

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: EssBrace] #2353195 11/21/14 11:56 AM
T
TonyB Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

How perceptive! Although you've given me a very welcome promotion. Detective Sergeant in fact. Christmas can be odd. Families come together at this time of year and they soon realise why they don't have much to do with one another the rest of the time. Add a little alcohol and by Christmas Day afternoon they are knifing one another or smashing each other over the head. Then someone calls the Police...

Has anyone stuffed the body inside a grand piano? Behind a V-Piano? We used to sing around the piano, but then...

Tony

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: TonyB] #2353228 11/21/14 01:09 PM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by TonyB

Has anyone stuffed the body inside a grand piano? Behind a V-Piano? We used to sing around the piano, but then...

Tony

If I'm made aware of a suspicious disappearance and there's a grand piano in the house I will make sure it's checked out!

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: Mta88] #2353283 11/21/14 02:43 PM
B
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
i'm still the owner of a V-piano mainly because of inertia as in its too big to sell.

I have loved it as a controller for Ivory II. I like the action very much and the two work together very well. I just put together a CD of christmas solos for friends and it came out very nicely using the piano controlling the German D in Ivory II. I also learned boatloads about using compression and EQ in recording.

However, the day after i finished my last recording, i lost my ability to communicate by MIDI between the keyboard and the computer. I'm HOPING it was the Firewire 410 interface and not the Vpiano. I just bought a Scarlett 2i4 and i'll find out shortly. If its the v's midi out i guess i'll have to lug it down to the roland authorized repair guys here.

Since i lost the midi connection i've been using the piano native sounds again just to play. For me, its still a blast to play certain types of music on it. I use the all-triple piano and cut the tuning down to -50 (after playing software pianos, the pianos all sound too de-tuned for my tastes...) and soften the hammers to -30ish. it becomes a great rock piano there for playing... not so much for recording. great for boogie and blues stuff. Still haven't figured out how to get a decent mellow sound out of it for jazzier/moodier stuff.

The V was still one of the great mistakes in my life as far as a semi-impulse purchase... but I'm making the best of it anyway. just paid way too much for what was more or less a novelty orphan. Not sure about the next purchase for something to play away from home that also has a good enough action to be my next software controller too - i like the RD 800 and the CP4 and could probably like the Kawai's if i could ever find one to play. The Kurzweil Forte sounds interesting ( I had whatever the predecessor was to the pc2 back in the late 90's) but 4 grand for a crummy action not very appealing nor smart on their part. same goes for Nord.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250;
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; True Keys American; UVI Yamaha C7; Ravenscroft 275; Garritan CFX
Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: EssBrace] #2353291 11/21/14 03:09 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by bennevis
...but I did manage to download (or is it 'upload'?) the Pianoteq free trial version into my laptop and tried it with my V-Piano a few weeks ago.

This is quite a puzzling thing for a self-proclaimed technophobe who is permanently ecstatic with/enamoured of, their V-Piano to do. I assume you would say it was mere idle curiosity that drove you to do this?

Either way, I happen to agree. V-Piano is superior to PianoTeq.

They say curiosity killed the cat, but I'm not a cat.

So, when I finally joined (OK, dipped a toe into) the 21st century last year by buying a MacBook Pro, I realised that I could start loading free stuff into it willy-nilly, then discard them after their sell-by date (or earlier, if they weren't fit for consumption in the first place).

That's how Pianoteq got in. And promptly got out again......

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: toddy] #2353299 11/21/14 03:19 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B

That was probably in pre-historic times.

These days, Christmas in England lasts about twelve hours (from midnight Christmas Eve to midday Christmas Day). The preparations for sales start after that, in time for the queues at 6am on Boxing Day (or 6pm on Christmas Day, if you're really keen and queuing for the iPhoneXVI).

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: TonyB] #2353357 11/21/14 05:58 PM
P
pv88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by TonyB
I really do hope that the V-Piano/Grand are not a one-time thing, as I seem to understand the Yamaha CLP-990 might have been from what I have read in these forums. Somehow, I see Roland continuing to use their technology, improving on it, driving down the cost, etc.

The one thing I find curious is why only Roland offers modelling as used in the V-Piano/Grand? Yamaha had wind instrument modelling in midi module form many years ago, so why not piano?

Tony

@Tony,

Looks like the V-Piano and V-Grand are the only digitals that give you the exacting fingers-to-sound response and connection due to the modeling and this is why it is the best digital in this regard.

Update:

I have good news that I can now access my music files again via a different browser (i.e., Firefox) as it turns out the issue I had was related to use of the Safari browser not being the latest version.

And, here are a few recordings I have done at the V-Piano:

[Please note there is 15 to 20 seconds of silence (or, dead space) before the playing starts in each Christmas tune - with the exception of the first and last recordings, nos. 1, 3]

1) "Moonlight" sonata - 1st movement:

https://app.box.com/s/yrovy7fjjejsnah2humg

2) Assorted Christmas tunes:

https://app.box.com/s/qeeo31d5d6qk4nv6zu3k

https://app.box.com/s/0rc55lvaikkau5xirm26

https://app.box.com/s/k7roebxvrxg3llimcok1

https://app.box.com/s/lfj365qqpols4ni1n1au

3) Rhapsody:

https://app.box.com/s/32orpz5un38176nsrlyx

All of the above should represent a fairly good example of what the V-Piano is capable of since it has an extraordinarily responsive dynamic range unlike any other digital.

Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: pv88] #2353360 11/21/14 06:02 PM
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Looks like the V-Piano and V-Grand are the ONLY digitals that give you the true fingers to sound response and connection due to the modeling and this is why it is the best digital in this regard.

What is included (and excluded) under your designation of "digitals"?

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Re: V Piano Successor anytime soon? [Re: Vid] #2353368 11/21/14 06:38 PM
P
pv88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Vid
Looks like the V-Piano and V-Grand are the ONLY digitals that give you the true fingers to sound response and connection due to the modeling and this is why it is the best digital in this regard.

What is included (and excluded) under your designation of "digitals"?

What I meant by my observation of the V-Piano's "sound response and connection" is that it is the only digital that behaves as close to an acoustic as possible when controlling the subtle dynamic levels in the playing from "pp" to "ffff" whereas other digitals (like my Clavinova's / Kawai CA95) have a set range in fortissimo playing where a ceiling is reached and one can play no louder due to the samples. This is not the case with V-Piano and one simply has to play it to see and understand these results.

Hope that everyone enjoys the recordings!

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
grades of pieces
by Kaori Miyamoto - 02/24/20 05:40 PM
Roland FP10 vs Yamaha125 or alternative?
by Ilin - 02/24/20 03:06 PM
Snippets of Pieces I've Been Composing
by PianoYos - 02/24/20 02:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,170
Posts2,929,593
Members96,104
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission