2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
76 members (anotherscott, Abdol, andredatele, Beowulf, Cutec, 20 invisible), 493 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Suites recital - second batch
#2345550 11/04/14 05:05 PM
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here’s the second batch of suites. Lots of wonderful music.

J.S.Bach – French Suite no.6 – performed by DameMyra

https://soundcloud.com/sharon_f/bach-french-suite-6-in-e-major

J.S.Bach - Partita no.2 - performed by pianovirus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg89MtLiEzA

Debussy – Pour le Piano – shared between pathbreaker, Morodiene and doctor_S

Prelude performed by Pathbreaker
https://soundcloud.com/path-breaker/debussy-prelude-enough-already-143

Information on the style and context from The Piano Works of Claude Debussy:
Originally Posted By: Elie Robert Schmitz
In this prelude one cannot escape noting the heritage from the German organ school and more specifically from J.S. Bach. All the bravura brilliancy of the organ toccata, the repartition of the pedal passages and pedal-points, the moods are basic eighteenth-century organ art; the first theme and final cadenza remind us of the D-minor "Toccata" (and "Fugue"), and the lyrically passionate and stormy second theme is a cousin of the "Fantasia in G minor." Not only in spirit, the thematic materials, the pedal technique are we reminded of Bach, but in the broad scope of the work, in the patterns, in the freedom of harmonic succession over the static pedals, we recognize an extension of the German master's contrapuntal virtuosity--bringing us harmonic aggregates of elevenths, thirteenths, an agitated harmonic texture suddenly encountering the staticism of whole-toned passages. It is baroque art in its co-existence of mutually antagonistic elements, in its terraced oppositions of extremes in dynamics and coloring. Yet its constant motion is close in conception to the "divine arabesque of Bach," a divine arabesque set into value by periodic upheavals in harmonic motion.

And from wikipedia:
Quote:
The prélude was dedicated to Debussy's student Mlle Worms de Romilly, who notes that the movement "tellingly evokes the gongs and music of Java".

Some performance notes
I had earlier mentioned that I played this piece before. What I meant was that I learned the notes all the way through and I felt that I could complete it in a relatively short period of time. This proved true as far as memorizing it and playing through at a moderate tempo. Attempting to push for a performance tempo continues to be quite difficult. I'm glad for this opportunity to perform it because I otherwise would not have got this far with the piece. This is actually the third time I've worked on it. I played through it two years ago and gave up. Then I learned it again last year and had much more success but couldn't manage anywhere near performance level. Now this time I feel like progress is being made.

While there are some rough spots I do feel that this recording shows where I stand with this piece. Now it's time to move on to something more manageable or something else that's too hard

Morodiene’s comments on Sarabande
One of my all-time favorite piano pieces! I've always wanted to learn this, so this was a good way to start. I want to work on memorizing and polishing it more, but I hope it's enjoyable in the state it's in.

Morodiene’s performance of Sarabande

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bziaer9e2xziyb/Sarabande2.mp3?dl=0

Doctor_S’s performance of Toccata

https://soundcloud.com/pianosson/toccata1

Bartok - Suite Op.14- Performed by Kreisler

A quick note about them - I usually record on a nice Steinway at the music store where I work. However, the piano had been replaced with two Clavinova keyboards for another teacher's Halloween recital, so I had to find another way to get a recording.

The store where I work has recently started selling Yamaha Hybrid uprights, so I made my recording on a Yamaha NU-1. It's an acoustic upright action with digital piano sound. I imported the sound into Logic and added a little reverb.

If they put the piano back later this week, I'll try to re-record the Suite on a real piano, but until then, I thought this might prove interesting. Enjoy!

Bartok, Suite, Op. 14
Mvt. I - https://app.box.com/s/3vvlp6wz6jckppe9q651
Mvt. II - https://app.box.com/s/0z6amt9sm6yxyj275m9o
Mvt. III - https://app.box.com/s/75xrcerrpy4ofw5ooodx
Mvt. IV - https://app.box.com/s/jgdto9p0ptot6hmp1eft

Re: Suites recital - second batch
Ganddalf #2345645 11/04/14 11:48 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

M'lady, I am hearing influences. Who has influenced your thoughtful and energetic playing? How did you make your tempo decisions? Your rendition is very crisp, lively, and easy to listen to! (Full disclosure: E major is my favorite key. Some days, don't you just want to live in E major? grin ) Great performance!

I have always been disturbed by the rhythms in the opening of the Allemande. It is a code that few have managed to crack. What thinkest thou about that?

Wow, man! That is elite playing!!! laugh So measured and... exact! and... percussive! and... perfect! You make Bach fit on that piano so well! You looked like you were having a great time with the Rondo and Cappricio. Isn't that what keeps us coming back to Bach? It's so much fun!!! laugh That was first rate, Pianovirus. (I think you are contagious, because I had to click on your Mendelssohn P & F on the sidebar to see what that was about, and you did not disappoint!!)

You know, I am fairly in awe of anyone who can play Debussy. Upon listening through, I would say that this collaboration of movements is very effective!

Prelude performed by Pathbreaker: Grand sweeping gestures with mysterious undertones and passionate releases.

Morodiene’s performance of Sarabande: Lush, thick, dark, warm colors from of your piano by your playing. I had to listen to this one twice, right away. (I often listen to things twice, but this one I had to listen to twice, right away. smile )

Doctor_S’s performance of Toccata: Sweeping, soulful, rhapsodic, "in the moment" artistry. This brought me to my feet, Doc! You really got it goin'! thumb

Bartok - Suite Op.14- Performed by Kreisler:

Jason, I hope this is not too strange of a comment, but when I listen to e-cital and Member Recordings Forum offerings, I often get specific impressions that springboard from specific memories~~

When I was a kid living in the Quad Cities, every so often I would tune into scratchy (at that distance) KSUI, Iowa Public Radio. They played a lot of experimental music at the time, especially in the afternoon. crazy When I was listening to some of that music, I thought, "Man, that's what I hear in the background of Colombo." That is what this Bartok evokes for me. 60s and 70s dramatic TV soundtrack experimental music. That is not a bad thing--that is just my impression.

I really like your playing! It's clean and intentional and developed and thoughtful and mature and... followable! Well done! The piano sound is not too shabby, either. Now, if they can just get a digital sound to match the real action... wink

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Ganddalf #2346062 11/05/14 10:04 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Great set by all! I'm having trouble keeping up with the listening and the third batch is already up.

Cinnamonbear #2346107 11/06/14 12:27 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Overall I've been extremely impressed by the quality of performance in all of the submissions posted thus far. I'm being exposed to some new repertoire that I'd somehow managed to avoid over the past several years. My loss. This is wonderful stuff !!

Enjoyed your performance of this suite very much indeed !! Nicely played !!

Bravo. Beautiful rendition of a complex, challenging work - and the fact that you had it memorized.......wow !! You play Bach like a pro.

This collaborative approach to "sweeting" really worked well here. grin Each movement was extremely well played and effective.

Prelude performed by Pathbreaker:
Impressive finger work and a well thought-out, sweeping interpretation. Kudos !!

Morodiene’s performance of Sarabande:
This comes across as if you've been playing it for years. I'm impressed by the layers of sound and the contrasts you were able to achieve. Beautiful. I listened to your recording three times today.

Doctor_S’s performance of Toccata:
This was VERY exciting to listen to. Great job !! thumb

Gosh - If I knew that a Yammy NU1 could sound THIS GOOD, I probably would have bought one. ha Of course, you are a mature artist and it is obvious that you are quite comfortable with Bartok's musical style. Everything you do with these four short gems makes sense. Your interpretations are engaging and convincing ! thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Ganddalf #2346460 11/06/14 04:31 PM
T
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Well, these submissions were all excellent, were they not? Here is some more specific commentary:

Dame Myra -- I really haven't much to recommend -- I had played this a part of a Bach marathon a couple years back, and your choice of tempi and phrasing for the various dances are very similar to my own. I believe I chose a slower, more stately Sarabande, but that's about it. Great minds run in the same track, I guess! Also, your piano sounds terrific.

Pianovirus -- I've dabbled at this Partita, enough to know that this was a superb realization of a quite difficult Suite. Loved your Capriccio -- just the right balance between athletic fervor and grace -- and no obvious missteps! Wonderful to listen to.

Pathbreaker -- a very thoughtful, well-considered performance of the Prelude, with sensitive attention to the melodic sweep, up and down the keyboard. Here, I really think more speed is needed to make this fully satisfying, but within the tempo limitations you provided a wealth of interesting and compelling details in voicing, line, and dynamic range. Well done!

Morodiene -- I thought just a beautiful sense of atmosphere and gorgeous tone, with all progressions very well executed. IMO, this is one of Debussy's finest solo piano pieces.

DoctorS -- Nice to hear from you again; something totally different than the Ponce Prelude and Fugue! The Toccata I have always avoided taking on; for me, it is a real knuckle-buster as well as having a lot of harmonic complexities that must be heard to be fully satisfying. I like your choice of tempo -- NOT too breakneck, because unless you're just at concert level, you'll never be able to bring out those recondite, wonderful harmonic progressions. Very satisfying, throughout!

Kreisler -- as others have mentioned, nice to hear a performance with some professional panache! This Suite is for me an early example of mature Bartok -- lean, percussive, dissonant, but here with a beguiling sense of humor and charm. For this music I thought the digital worked very well, but it would be interested to hear the same work on an acoustic, just for the sake of comparison. Hope you can provide it!

Ganddalf #2346748 11/07/14 11:40 AM
J
J
I'd like to say that I admire and appreciate all the "artists" here who give their time and efforts to interact with us by sharing their talents at the keyboard. There's something about listening to semi-pros and ummm....let's call them "at home" pianists (because I really don't like the term, "amateurs") that is refreshingly different from pros like Yuja with her split red dresses up to her armpits; a certain honest emotion hidden under the occasional flaws that the pro's with all their perfection and polish just don't manage to capture. Some of this is great piano playing even if we hear a hesitation or a wrong note now and then.

That said, I'd like to mention my good and newly discovered best friend when we shared a semester together at University back in the mid-70's, Doctor_S. He went off to medicine and I continued for another year to be a pain in the @ss for the "Big Three" in the piano department before they booted me out. Or is that booed me out? Actually both. We lost contact and then he reached out to me about 3 months ago and we've been corresponding ever since. In fact I owe him a letter to his most recent which I am going to get to work on right now after I finish this.

I was never much of a pianist but I couldn't help but admire Doctor_S's skills when I knew him back then. We'd shared the same great piano teacher, one of the best on the West Coast in 1970 yet somehow never ran into each other at the teacher's weekly recital "teas". At university five years later when we finally met he played a tape of a pristine performance of Rubinstein's D Minor Concerto that he did when he was about 15. I mean I thought I was listen to a pro, never mind the orchestra had one or two clunkers in the brass section. The pianist was wonderful--the arpeggios rippled like golden coins pouring out of the mouth of Jason's golden fleece (there's my poetry); swift and accurate octave passages in the 1st and 3rd movements that would make Horowitz green. Just an absolutely wonderful performance. I can still hear much of it in my head nearly 40 years later. The good Doctor also played me a tape of his performance of Rach's No 2 and I was equally impressed by his musicianship and prowess at the keyboard.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I know that same pianist is buried somewhere inside Doctor_S and I'm confident, having listened to his selections on SoundCloud that he's going to find his way back to that level of pianism. When I was playing piano I could always do fast and even scales but as my piano teacher finally told me "You can't play fast scales in concert, Joe." Perhaps my obsession with fast scales was a compensation for the fact I just couldn't play musically; it was just too difficult for me to play the right notes and emote at the same time. But Doctor_S from the get-go of his comeback still demonstrates this musicality I envy--the ability to get underneath the notes and move the listener with them --the shadings, the rubatos. In a year's time, if he practices his scales for evenness wink I'm hoping you'll hear the Doctor_S I remember from his prime.

That's all.

Last edited by Joey Townley; 11/07/14 11:43 AM.
Ganddalf #2347219 11/08/14 12:00 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

https://soundcloud.com/sharon_f/bach-french-suite-6-in-e-major

Excellent playing Sharon! I don't know how it happened, maybe the recording technique you used, but the third piece sounded a bit out of tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg89MtLiEzA

The spiked hair and the picture of Chopin is gone, but the playing is great as always and the quality or your recording is superb.

Ganddalf #2347753 11/09/14 01:57 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
DameMyra, I love the energy of this Bourree! It's wonderful! and it makes me want to dance smile

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Ganddalf #2347773 11/09/14 02:46 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
pianovirus, all I can say about that Bach is that I was so sad when it ended that I just clicked the replay button and listened to it all over again.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Carey #2348105 11/10/14 10:40 AM
M
M

Great articulations and clarity in your playing!

I love the drama that you bring to this music. Bach was passionate, not cold as sometimes portrayed in his music. Your playing carries the listener through your whole thought process, if that makes sense. Thank you for this!

Prelude performed by Pathbreaker:

This is a movement I've never attempted, but I love the drama you bring to it. The tempo will come, I do hope you continue working at it, because it sounds as though you can get it there with some more time - you're so close! Thanks for collaborating with me on this smile

Doctor_S’s performance of Toccata:
Someday I'll learn this movement as well. I've played through it a few times but nothing seriously. Very clear playing, I appreciate your use of less pedal to give it a more transparent/exposed sound. Thanks for working with me on this suite!

I love Bartok, and unfortunately don't do enough of him myself. I love the folk sound he achieves in this suite (and most of his music). You bring out the playfulness in this. I'm not sure what the subject matter was (or if he had any), but it reminds me of children playing in the first movement. Whew! That 3rd movement was insane! Well done on all accounts with that!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ganddalf #2348111 11/10/14 10:52 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf

I listened to this batch all the way through without much of a break. It was really hard to pull myself away with every performance being such a joy to listen to.

This is a very memorable suite. I didn't even know that I heard it before but as I listened I really remember almost all of it. This is a lovely performance. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

There is a real 'wow' factor to this submission. From video to sound to performance quality I was really amazed by your performance of this great masterpiece. There are parts where I also found your ornamentation to be inventive and organic. I don't like it when the ornamentation sounds forced or obligatory but in some of the sections your execution was really impressive.

I'm so happy I could take part in this collaboration. I was a bit worried about what I got my self into but in truth I really need a good push every now and then.

Prelude performed by Pathbreaker
A couple extra notes:
-The first time I heard this piece was when my teacher performed it my first or second year of learning piano. Unforgettable.
-For anyone unaware of the instrument I use I should add that this was recorded directly through Cantabile software using the Synthogy Ivory II ACD plugin. I use a Roland RP301 as keyboard controller.

Morodiene’s comments on Sarabande
One of my all-time favorite piano pieces! I've always wanted to learn this, so this was a good way to start. I want to work on memorizing and polishing it more, but I hope it's enjoyable in the state it's in.

I love this one too and enjoyed your rendition. You have such a great sound and it was easy to get lost in the music (in a good way). I'm taking notes for next time I try this one.

Doctor_S’s performance of Toccata
How fortunate we are to have you tackle this beast! What an awesome suite. I really enjoyed your playing of this toccata. If only it wasn't so terribly difficult it might be nice to learn since I know the other two. Maybe one day...

Bartok - Suite Op.14- Performed by Kreisler
I don't normally listen to Bartok so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed some of this music. What I enjoyed most was how Bartok can make dissonance sound really beautiful. I haven't really heard anything like that before. Your playing of this suite must be really great that I enjoyed Bartok that much. smile
The piano sound was actually very good but if you make another version I will be happy to hear that too.

Ganddalf #2349436 11/13/14 03:08 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
G
Here are my comments to the second batch of of suites.

Bach - French suite no.6 performed by DameMyra

I think your very crisp and clear rendition suits this music very well. You have selected fine tempi and very nice phrasing and make good contrast between the movements.

Bach - Partita no.2 performed by pianovirus

I’m greatly impressed by your performance. You display great enthusiasm and seem to be unaffected by the technical difficulties. Particularly I noticed how you played the beautiful sequences of the Allemande.

Debusssy - Pour le Piano performed by Pathebreaker, Morodiene and doctor_S

I have only heard fragments of this suite before. It was interesting to notice the connection with the music of Bach. But surely this was still very typical Debussy with extensive use of the 6-note scale.

The Prelude asks for brilliance in performance, and I think you succeeded very well.

The Sarabande touched my heart. Great music, very beautifully played. So reflected and so great dynamics.

The Toccata was new to me. Much brilliance in the performance of this movement, but also a lot of emotion.

Bartok – Suite Op.14 performed by Kreisler

This music is really fun to listen to. The first movement makes me think of one of Grieg’s Lyric Pieces. And the whole suite has a definite folkloristic character typical to Bartok.

Flawless performance! I’m really impressed.

Thank you all for being part of this recital.

Ganddalf #2349991 11/14/14 08:31 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
I have enjoyed them all. Thanks to everybody.

I am a little partial to Kreisler's Bartok, I think, just because we don't get all that many Bartok uploads here (and it was really, really well played). I had forgotten how haunting that last movement is - must dig this score out and play through it again.

hreichgott #2352919 11/20/14 07:28 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I finally managed to listen to the other performances in this batch - one of the few things to cheer up my sick day at home...

The only piece I know really well is the French Suite, so thank you very much DameMyra, this brought back some memories to me, and I enjoyed your elegant playing!

Then, great to have a real collaboration on the Debussy (btw, in the German piano forum we are currently on the way with the Scriabin Preludes op. 11 for a fun collaborative project). The Toccata is a beast, I think, but brilliantly played by Doctor_S (did you also get to record the Bach Partita? I will search in the other batches... thanks for allowing me to enter my version as well!). Very sensitive playing by Morodiene, and a nice opening by Pathbreaker. Congrats on the great collaboration!!

The Bartok Suite I know least of all, but kreisler, you are able to convey a whole range of expression across the different movements even on a digital. It's an interesting piece and now I'm curious and need to listen and read along a bit more! I hope you get a chance to re-record on an acoustic, as you mentioned above.

Then, thank you so much to everyone who listened and for the encouraging comments!

Originally Posted by Damon
The spiked hair and the picture of Chopin is gone, but the playing is great as always and the quality or your recording is superb.

Wow, that is a good memory, and thank you for the kind comment, Damon! When I moved back to Switzerland I decided that the Chopin picture should have a decent place in the apartment, rather than in the depressing practice room in the basement - it would be worse than a winter in Majorca! He is now looking at big photographs of Radu Lupu and Harriet Cohen (prints from British National Portrait Gallery, they have lots of great portrait photographs for which copies can be ordered), it is a bit random but I hope he is fine with that... smile

Originally Posted by hreichgott
pianovirus, all I can say about that Bach is that I was so sad when it ended that I just clicked the replay button and listened to it all over again.

Oh no! 40 minutes of your life, gone just like that!!! blush Thank you very much for that heart-warming comment, Heather!

Ok, now looking forward to four more batches of interesting contributions to listen to! smile

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Relation beetwen woofer inches - piano feet
by Ubu - 12/03/20 09:47 AM
Cleaning up 100 year old ebony finishes
by jkess114 - 12/03/20 08:58 AM
upright piano looks like a grand piano
by Maximillyan - 12/03/20 08:14 AM
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,230
Posts3,029,992
Members99,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission