2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
It has been approximately 3 years since I purchased my Ritmuller GH170R from Russell Kassman (master88er.)

I had my piano tuned last night (the same tech I have used since I got the piano.) I have been regularly tuning about every 6 months, this time it was about 8 months. My tech said nothing was out more than 10 cents and most notes were within 5 cents. This does not really mean a lot to me, but some of you probably understand it.

I have enjoyed the mellow sound since my piano was delivered. After finishing up tuning, Jim (my tech) said he would like to do a little voicing if that was ok with me - I of course said yes.

After Jim completed this (I would guess he worked on 30-40 keys) I asked what made him want to do this. he said that when he first sat down to tune he played for a minute or so and did not hear the same warm mellow tone he remembered from my piano originally.

Jim finished up and left so I sat down to play. I remembered why I fell in love with the sound of this piano when I first heard it in Russell's shop!

After 3 years I am still delighted with my choice in three ways: 1 - The piano, 2 - The retailer (Russell Kassman) and 3 - keeping the same tech (not price shopping for the cheapest tune.)

Not only did the sound catch my attention again, but having Jim do a few minor adjustments on a few keys made the piano feel refreshed again.

He did mention after pulling the action to check on it (I guess like looking under the hood of a car) that soon (1 year or so) we probably need to do an action regulation. Jim said everything looked fine, but he could see spots where he could do some slight adjustments to fine tune the action's performance.

Thanks again to the forum in providing extremely useful information in my purchase and also subsequent maintenance of my piano.

Jonathan

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear Jonathan Alford:

How many hours a day is the piano played ?

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

J
OP Offline
J
Karl,

I would say on average (over the course of the 3 years) an hour a day. I assume my playing time is like many other people who play for their own enjoyment - some times I will play 2-3 hours per day for a few months and then 0-30 minutes a day for other months.

Jonathan

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nice post!

In three months we have the opportunity to have our piano voiced as well as tuned. Based on these comments I'm prone to let our RPT do it, as during the first "official" tuning he mentioned the voicing is not consistent across the mid-treble section as compared to everything else.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sounds like you have a good tech.

Gary
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Sounds like you have a good tech.

I do not have a lot of experience with multiple techs, but we really like him and the work he does.

Jonathan

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Jonathan:

Congrats again to your piano, very fine choice!

Not saying this because we're dealers but because we have a very large number of very happy customers for same piano!

Voicing is something that should be discussed carefully with an owner before proceeding: did you request this?

While the Rits 170 grands are know for their exceptionally warm timbre, some owners like to spruce things up a bit.

This can be done by either playing piano in over time, or some very careful voicing.

As said, to be discussed in more detail beforehand.

Hoping the piano will give you continuous joy!

Norbert smile

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Norbert
Hi Jonathan:

Congrats again to your piano, very fine choice!

Not saying this because we're dealers but because we have a very large number of very happy customers for same piano!

Voicing is something that should be discussed carefully with an owner before proceeding: did you request this?

While the Rits 170 grands are know for their exceptionally warm timbre, some owners like to spruce things up a bit.

This can be done by either playing piano in over time, or some very careful voicing.

As said, to be discussed in more detail beforehand.

Hoping the piano will give you continuous joy!

Norbert smile

Norbert - thanks.

No - initially I did not request the voicing. Jim asked me if he could do some voicing. I asked him why he felt it was necessary and he explained how the piano had brightened up over the 3 years and knew I liked a more mellow tone.

I told him I did not notice it being brighter - he said he did since he remembers my piano from the beginning. I agreed to let him do some minor work and am very happy with the result.

He said with the nice shape of the hammers the voicing would be very easily done and minimally invasive.

Jonathan

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Jonathan,

I'm curious as to why you believe using the same tech is more beneficial than straying. I've heard this before and am interested in understanding the reason for this. Is it because different techs would "mold" the piano's sound based on subjective differences?

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Grandman
Jonathan,

I'm curious as to why you believe using the same tech is more beneficial than straying. I've heard this before and am interested in understanding the reason for this. Is it because different techs would "mold" the piano's sound based on subjective differences?

Grandman,

I think using the same tech (as long as a person is happy with their work) is a good idea because they get to know your piano. Whether that be in a good way or they know the minor nuisances and what it takes to correct them.

The tech also gets to know you and your likes and dislikes.

In the specific case I mentioned above, my tech knew I personally liked a more mellow tone and he knew my piano can easily produce that tone since he has known my piano for a while (since I have had it.) With a quick 5 minute voicing on the "offending" notes he brought out the warmness I really like.

By using the same technician, I also think that if a warranty issue ever occurred with a piano, it might be easier to get it resolved. The technician can easily explain what the problem is and the possible remedy. Since the technician has seen the piano for a while, they can even answer the tough questions the dealer / manufacturer might have in these situations. (ie - was the piano abused, mishandled, etc.)

I am far from an expert on these items, but those are the reasons I choose to use the same tech. (Also - I like him!)

Jonathan

Originally Posted By: Grandman
Jonathan,

Grandman,

I think using the same tech (as long as a person is happy with their work) is a good idea because they get to know your piano. Whether that be in a good way or they know the minor nuisances and what it takes to correct them.

The tech also gets to know you and your likes and dislikes.

In the specific case I mentioned above, my tech knew I personally liked a more mellow tone and he knew my piano can easily produce that tone since he has known my piano for a while (since I have had it.) With a quick 5 minute voicing on the "offending" notes he brought out the warmness I really like.

By using the same technician, I also think that if a warranty issue ever occurred with a piano, it might be easier to get it resolved. The technician can easily explain what the problem is and the possible remedy. Since the technician has seen the piano for a while, they can even answer the tough questions the dealer / manufacturer might have in these situations. (ie - was the piano abused, mishandled, etc.)

I am far from an expert on these items, but those are the reasons I choose to use the same tech. (Also - I like him!)

Jonathan

+ 1

Norbert

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Jonathan:

So glad to hear you are enjoying the instrument, and Thank You for the kind endorsement!

Russell I. Kassman
Technician -Consultant

FORMER/Semi-Retired: USA Rep.for C.Bechstein & Sauter; Founder/R. KASSMAN Piano; Consultant - GUANGZHOU Pearl River Piano Co.

www.RussellKassman.com

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission