2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (AJB, BMKE, antune, babooshka, anotherscott, 0day, 14 invisible), 1,001 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2352322 11/19/14 02:16 PM
J
OP Offline
J
When I was seeking a new grand piano, I had hoped to find one which in style matched the other ultra-modern furnishings of my home. With the exceptions of offerings from Sauter and Bosendorfer (both being far beyond my price range) and Story&Clark (simply not good enough an instrument), no piano manufacturer offered such a choice. All of them only offer the same "classic" design, sometimes with additional traditional variants.

Why don't more of the manufacturers make at least one model in a tasteful, modern design like a Sauter?

Jonathan

Proud owner of an Estonia L168
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
There could possibly be a number of reasons why many piano manufacturers don't offer ultra-modern designs, some of which may be :

- designing outside the traditional flat box would not only mean a redesign of the case, it may also require a redesign of the scale of the instrument, depending on the materials used for the new case and its shape (I've seen images of transparent, acrylic pianos, but I have no idea how they sound.)
- there would undoubtedly be a much smaller market for an ultra-modern design, so the design, depending upon how far from traditional it would have to go, might be a money-loser for a manufacturer, Seiler's offering notwithstanding.
- most piano buyers are traditionalists when it comes to the appearance of their instrument. Some of us actually love the traditional design (reluctance to change?). I think that few of us would want an ultra-modern design because the majority of homes are either traditional or non-descript (!) in design. For the purchaser, the extra cost might not be justifiable.
- some traditional "die-hards" might look askance at such an instrument, wondering: "Yes, but is it a real piano?"

Other reasons?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
BDB Offline
B
Special cases are always expensive. However, I think the new Yamaha designs are more modern-looking than most.

Semipro Tech
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Hey Jonathan, I've got an idea. Like you, I favor an ultra-contemporary look for my home. While I do think that a black grand that doesn't have 19th Century flourishes is timeless enough, there is something to be said for having your instrument reflect that it's the 21st Century. Steinway made a few subtle design changes to their newer grands--namely in the music desk, that brings it a bit more up to date.

If you're talking about your Estonia, maybe speak to them about having a custom music desk and legs carved to replace the ones you've got. I think these components would go a long way toward edging the instrument more toward a contemporary design without compromising the design or necessitating a six-figure purchase of a new instrument.

And Bruce, I can understand what you're saying about traditionalists, but I think that a design only retains its appeal so long. Consider those old grands from the turn of the century with all the elaborate carvings and "ice cream cone" turned legs. Every time I saw one of those or one with Chippendale legs, I immediately passed. I didn't even sit down to play it. If I went with a Steampunk home (which was a notion I playfully entertained), it would certainly be a lovely centerpiece. But amid the mid-century cubes and hexagons that won out, I think it would look ghastly, to say the least.

Last edited by Markarian; 11/19/14 02:53 PM.

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Richard Dain, Hurstwood Farm, will put you down for a carbon fibre grand piano delivered to your music room in Las Vegas.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Manufacturers don't do modern because there isn't enough demand for it. The demand that exists is better served by custom restoration shops, like this:

http://pianosxxi.com/piano/custompiano/

They'll make whatever you want. Check out their "Harley Davidson" Steinway.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Online Content
Maybe the Mason Hamlin chrome model would be to your liking. The case is traditional but the chrome plate makes it look contemporary IMO.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Some of the best makers have made modern art-case instruments with exorbitant price tags and not always, in my opinion, a very attractive result. Personally, I believe that the traditional, classic shape for grand pianos has a timeless elegance which enhances any interior.

Robert.

M
M
I have to admit I LIKE the New York Serenade in the link JohnSprung posted.
Especially the music desk.

Gary

Working on being a retired piano tuner.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Maybe the Mason Hamlin chrome model would be to your liking. The case is traditional but the chrome plate makes it look contemporary IMO.

Doesn't YAMAHA have a Chrome model now (C2X?)?

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Withindale
Richard Dain, Hurstwood Farm, will put you down for a carbon fibre grand piano delivered to your music room in Las Vegas.

[Linked Image]

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Manufacturers don't do modern because there isn't enough demand for it. The demand that exists is better served by custom restoration shops, like this:

http://pianosxxi.com/piano/custompiano/

They'll make whatever you want. Check out their "Harley Davidson" Steinway.

I looked at those. The Harley one certainly had some design features but to my inexperienced eye the other 2 seemed simply to be standard pianos with custom paint jobs. Did I miss something?

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A

[Linked Image]

Looks very striking - but has anyone ever played one?

T
T
*deleted*

Last edited by BB Player; 11/20/14 03:59 AM. Reason: Advertisement deleted.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think carbon fiber pianos are a myth. Someone come on here and prove they are more than just a trade-show curiosity. Gimme some recordings and a price tag. laugh

2012 NY Steinway Model B | Kawai MP11 | Nord Stage 3 Compact | Moog Matriarch | ASM Hydrasynth 49 | Sequential Circuits Prophet 10 Rev4 | Yamaha ModX 61
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Markarian
I think carbon fiber pianos are a myth. Someone come on here and prove they are more than just a trade-show curiosity. Gimme some recordings and a price tag. laugh

That's precisely what inspired my comment above. Plenty of pics, no recordings. What gives?

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ando

That's precisely what inspired my comment above. Plenty of pics, no recordings. What gives?

If only there were a website you could visit to search for such things. What a shame it doesn't exist. If it did, you might find this video:

Poetry is rhythm
B
BDB Offline
B
It is all rather irrelevant. Jonathan wanted a contemporary styled piano at competitive prices. As far as I know, only the Yamaha CX line offers that in today's market. If there are others, I would be interested in knowing about them, as well.

Semipro Tech
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Mark Polishook
Originally Posted by Paul678
I didn't find anything on FEA on the Hurstwood Farm website.

Richard Dain discussing use of FEA for soundboard design and pianos now in production

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=54854.msg592213#msg592213

1 April 2014: "We have completed building, and publicly exhibited a grand piano made almost entirely out of carbon fibre, which is almost ready to go into production. If any reader feels he wants to be the owner of one of the first grand pianos made almost entirely out of carbon fibre, we are ready to contract to supply and would be delighted to discuss terms."

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by phantomFive
Originally Posted by ando

If only there were a website you could visit to search for such things. What a shame it doesn't exist. If it did, you might find this video:

You call that a recording? That's possibly the worst promotional video for anything I've ever seen. I was talking about a professional audio recording with quality microphones, playing some real music - not bashing out a few pop chords on an out of tune piano with the background atmosphere of a county fair.

Do you have a decent link?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a CPT necessary?
by Petoskeyguy - 08/13/22 11:07 AM
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,974
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission