2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#235099 07/09/05 09:43 AM
Catlady Offline OP
OP Offline
Do you think the aliens have picked him up yet?

Cathy Harl - former piano dealer and tech.
Currently making and designing jewelry.
LOL!!

And no, I haven't heard anything from him in awhile. laugh

"Music, when soft voices die, vibrates in the memory."

"A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think. Music is immediate, it goes on to become." --W.H. Auden
JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, please!! However, I did arrive in Roswell just in time for the big UFO Festival . It drew some pretty unusual people most of whom arrived on Harleys. As far as I know, none of them were transported anywhere other than to jail.

I've been in town over a week but just got internet yesterday. The DSL I ordered created problems for the security system so I switched to a cable modem. Took a couple of days to get the installer over to the house.

I will post more about the trip out west later and hopefully will have some pictures of the house and piano room soon.

I miss you Cat. KS I hope you're enjoying the new AF.

JP

"Piano music should only be written for the Bechstein."
-- Claude Debussy
I don't have it yet. frown

Good to hear from you, though!

"A verbal art like poetry is reflective; it stops to think. Music is immediate, it goes on to become." --W.H. Auden
JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is our family home. My great grandparents built the original structure in 1895, and each succeeding generation added to it. Supposedly, it is the 3rd oldest home in town.

The room behind the Kranich & Bach is a guest BR. The room next to the fireplace is the "Sun Porch". The Bechstein sits in the northwest corner of the Living Room on exterior walls. The west and north side of the house has a large exterior porch that wraps around the house so the piano gets no direct sunlight. I normally keep the lower shudders closed during the day anyway. The vents for the A/C have diverters to direct the air under and away from the soundboards of both pianos.

The piano room:

1928 Kranich & Bach, 7'3", ribbon mahogany

[Linked Image]

1997 C. Bechstein, Model B, 6'10", polished ebony

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It took 3 solid days of driving to get from VA to NM. The piano was off-loaded by local piano movers from the 16 ft truck I rented to haul the piano plus 5000 lbs of other household goods. Everything went as planned. No problems.

The house is at 44% RH which is the same RH as the house in VA. (Outside the temp has been in the high 90s - low 100s during the day and low 70s at night. The outside RH ranges from mid 40s% - mid 50s% in the early morning to the high teens - low 20s% during the heat of the day.) The Bechstein sounds good but I still may have it tuned in about a month or so, after it fully acclimates to its new home.

It's nice to finally have adequate space to play the Bechstein with the hood up. Acoustically, the LR seems to accommodate the piano's size and power fairly well. When I open up all the doors to the LR the piano reverberates throughout the entire first floor.

The K&B is the piano I learned on. It needs to be rebuilt. I may have the work done or, depending on what the future holds, I might take on the project myself. Right now the K&B is just a nice piece of furniture ... a place to organize my sheet music and display family photos. After it is rebuilt it might be a pretty sweet piano.

JP

-- Claude Debussy
Beautiful home, beautiful pianos....can't find anything wrong! Glad everything went well.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Wow - beautiful!

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
JPM? I thought you were talking about Juan Pablo Montoya who just won this past weekend's Formula 1 race! Go McLaren!

Haywood
-------------
Wow - what a room! Loved seeing both pianos; I grew up learning on a Kranich & Bach (with a cracked soundboard!). It was watching my parents sell their grand when they moved into smaller quarters that made me decide to purchase an upright for my own use as a retirement house isn't all that far off...

Great to see you made it out there in good shape!

Go Eagles! (Well, maybe next year.)
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Miss Mouse,

I knew that K&B well. smile (I spent lots of time at it with MM's father, who was my voice prof. in school)

JPM,

Great rooms and beautiful pianos!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
MM, KS, teachum, & Rich ... thanks for your comments on the piano room.

Miss Mouse, this K&B also has several cracks in the SB in addition to other problems. It would be great to hear a rebuilt K&B to get an idea of the music-making potential of these pianos. This particular piano seems to have sweet voice despite its poor condition.

So, what's up with Catlady? No follow-up post? No PM? See ... just move to a new state and see how quickly they forget! laugh

JP

-- Claude Debussy
Rich - saw my folks the other day. My Dad always has good things to say about you and also your voice. Greetings from them! (Sorry, JPM, for what probably should have been a PM!)

Go Eagles! (Well, maybe next year.)
JPM - I love your pianos.. and also the piece of art - the woman holding the peacock feather.. Is that a fabric piece or a painting?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
3 days from Virginia to New Mexico. What did you do, go through Latvia??? just joking

Maker of the TCHAMMER
www.thomasccobble.com

BUSY IS BETTER THAN BORED
JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
apple,

That is a piece my mom did. It is fabric mounted on a picture frame my dad made. The profile of the woman's face is pen & ink on fabric. The dress is a quilt-like affair but without the fancy stitching you see in some older hand-made quilts. The piece complements a large quilt my great grandmother made that is the centerpiece of the room but not pictured in the photos.

Acoustically, I think the piece's position helps reduce the boominess of the bass, absorbing some of the sound that would otherwise reflect off the north wall. I think the shudders help too by deflecting some of the sound towards the rug under the piano. (A boomy bass was a problem for me in the VA house.) The wall opposite the Bechstein (the one behind the hutch) is also fabric. I believe it helps the room's acoustics too.

apple, most of the art work in the house is my mom's. The interior decorating reflects her style and taste. She re-did most house when my parents bought it in the '70s. Perhaps it now looks a bit dated but I am very comfortable here. It feels like home.

Tom, we were driving a fully-loaded 16 foot truck that was towing a full car carrier. About the best we could do was 60-65 mph.

JP

-- Claude Debussy
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
JPM,

I am pleased to see you made your move with no great difficulties. You have such a charming and elegant home! With two pianos! Now all you need to do is enjoy.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow! Beautiful pianos, beautiful room. Are you able (set up and partner) to play two piano pieces?

That quilty pieces looks very Klimty. What a talented mother you have.

JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, FM and kathy for your comments. Sorry for not responding sooner. I was out of town for a couple of days.

kathy, after the K&B is rebuilt it will be good for 4-hand, 2-piano pieces. Right now the piano is in pretty sad shape. Needs a complete rebuild to include SB.

Gustav Klimt's work probably influenced her to some degree. She liked him a lot. Certain details in her her piece remind me of his painting, The Kiss.

JP

-- Claude Debussy
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
JPM,
I have been in California for two weeks and I didn't know that you had moved back to "God's Country". Are you in Albuquerque? The rooms and pianos are beautiful! Your Bechstein has really been a world traveler!

RickG
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
JPM:

Wait a minute - you have TWO pianos? You're living MY DREAM! smile

You are ONE VERY LUCKY PERSON! laugh

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission