2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Originally Posted by EssBrace
g a Walkman - a cassette one at that! Showing your age there....

laugh

10.000 clowns on a rainy day
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

Doug, have you actually played a V-Piano? It isn't clear from your posts. I'm not usually given to defending the V-Piano but I don't think its action is a problem in reality. In perception perhaps but not in reality. There are other issues Roland needs to deal with on the V-Piano (I'm not going to go there).

While I personally feel the AvantGrand has a more substantial feel (as does the Kawai wooden action) and a real (and satisfying) sense of mechanics going on beneath your fingers I couldn't possibly say that the Roland action lacks anything in terms of agility (quite the opposite in fact).

a) I've played the Avant Grand and the PHIII action on the V-piano and RD700NX. I've not yet played the RD800 PHIV action yet. On the RD700NX, the limitations of the PHIII action stood out far more than when I played the PHIII on the V-piano (perhaps because of the modeling vs sampling, or just a subjective difference due to the sound). I'm not saying the PHIII is a poor quality action: it's robust enough but not competitive for a certain substantial section of the market.

I too felt that the PHIII was plenty agile enough for my needs.

b) The Avant Grand action felt like playing a good grand piano, yes, substantial even. Of course, comparative to the V-piano, it's allot less fun to play! However, if I was giving regular concerts on a grand piano, maybe I would prefer to practice on a similar action to the concert instrument.

My point was that Michael (the music store owner I know) found his serious pianist customers were more inclined towards the Avant Grand for precisely this reason. Michael said that those customers were more numerous than actual V-piano customers, therefore, if I were Roland, I'd build a comparative action for the V-piano II.. I'd keep it a stage piano design (I think it looks fine), but include a custom made separate speaker system. They could even produce a number of speaker systems for different purposes: gigging, home use (surround sound included) or studio use.

The other issues Roland needs to deal with on the V-Piano are already mentioned: Roland V-piano - critiques and downside.

You might be confusing key travel with lever length. The significant measurement is from key front to pivot point, not necessarily total key length. I think the Roland PHA actions are broadly competitive in this sense.

You're right, I meant key travel not key length i.e., in regards to comparison with the MP11. I agree that lever length is the principal factor. Do you feel key travel is a minor factor? The V-piano was completely encapsulating, but it didn't feel like playing a grand piano in relation to the feel of the action.

Are your posts based on your reaction to or understanding of current marketing/demos/other peoples' opinions or personal experience of playing these pianos (V/AG/Kawai)?

Both. I must get a go at the MP11 and the RD800 for myself.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Z
Z
Originally Posted by Cmin
According to this Pianoteq tutorial even the initial waveform is just a sine wave generated by the computer/program itself. The only samples in Pianoteq (AFAICS) is the pedal noise, which has nothing to do with the actual piano sound.

I also read they use a sampling for pedal noise (and only for that).

The tutorial is just a tutorial about sound structure. They do no generate sound like that.

Pianoteq modelizes hammer mvt from velocity, and initialize strike/impulsion to chord vibration, vibration are modelized by differential equations of wave propgation in the chord, with various physical parameters of the tensed chord. In real time.

Then pianoteq transfers this wave in realtime to sound board at a particular point (as in real piano).

I think they modelize the sympaethic resonnace like real piano, by transmetting sound board vribration to other chord by hte physical attacment of hte chord to the vibrating chord. So in a way, there are 2 vribrating impulsions, one by hammer stricke, one by sound board attchement.

Then, I think all attchament vibrate to the sound board, that is modeled by finite elments differential equation in a 2D mesh. I guess equation are guided waves in 2 directions, longitudinal and perpendicular, aligned with wood spruce strucutre of the sound board.

Then all the 2D points of the mesh vibrate, and then emit sound wave in the air around the piano. They then modelize the "capture" of the sound with "directional" and "filtered" mircophone, to simulate real recording position, you can decide the number of mics, their position, their modeling.

They add reverb modeling (I don't know if they modelize the full thing or just delay the sound as a post processing stage).

I am not working at modart, but i am pretty sure they do real physics modelling. I guess all this after having read some material either from academics (from their samaries or not) or pianoteq web site, I also look at some SW contribution they 've done.

As a SW engineer not in that particular field, all seems feasible, don't know how CPU itensive it is, or how "good" it sounds at the end, but definitely technically speaking, I think I could do this kind of thing.

Large part of modartt job, is to "tune" model, to sound like the "target" piano. If you look at the acedemic work of the founder of the company, you will see how they capture "fitness" with Fourrier's transforms. And this "musical ear tuning" of the mathematical model is a strenght of Modartt, due to the experience of the founder, who was tuner/technician for classical concert piano (Orchestre du capitol de Toulouse, france), before becoming a mathematician. For this part they also rely oon their forum, to find beta tuner of their model !

Last edited by zack!; 07/13/14 06:15 AM.
Z
Z
On the contrary SN of roland is not a modeling of physics of the piano, but a "capture" of harmonics of a sample of a note at one time (end of sample), then a parametric equations to "continue" the harmonics 's decay (in stereophonic pan). IE : how every harmonics moves in stereo pan, how they are damped (attenatuted) relatively depending of the frequency and the velocity, over time.

We can see that in DPBSD topic from dewster.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Interesting description and contrasting of how Pianoteq and V-piano work, zack! Thanks for that.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Z
Z
Thanks.
Well, I just want to emphasis this is just my _guess_ as a SW engineer (with some signal processing / automatism education) but not working in the field of DP, and that was just curious after reading this board, and googled from place to place to roughly understand how DP works.
I am not 100% sure of what I say, and never look at details or tried to do develop the idea on my own.
So take my posts with a grain of salt.
But perhaps others with better education/experience can validate or correct if i was xrong.

Last edited by zack!; 07/13/14 09:27 AM.
Z
Z
As I do not want to mistake anyone with my pianoteq speculations, I googled again and found that from wikipedia article :
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9B71B0EE469EDF00
This is an fimed intreview of Philippe Guillaume (the founder of modartt), in french, but with english subtitles.

NB : It is a bit outdated (2009), but I think this a really good introduction to pianoteq, as a small company (modartt is only few people, 4-5 I think today, but was 2 people at that time) with founder carrier path, and also as a great technolgy preview / tutorial. Where Philippe demoes how to tune the unisons and temperament, then how to voice the colour/timbral of intrument (overtones ratio and mallet stiffness), and finally change the physical design of the piano (string lenght, and sound board properties), this alter inharmonicity and decay / energy dissipation of instrument.

Last edited by zack!; 07/13/14 01:55 PM.
Z
Z
Originally Posted by lolatu
Interesting description and contrasting of how Pianoteq and V-piano work, zack! Thanks for that.

I was just comparing pianoteq with SuperNatural (SAS : Structured Adaptative Synthesis technolgy in previous post), not V-Piano "full" modelling technology.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Originally Posted by Jay Roland
Making a close copy of another manufacturers action won't serve us well though will it? Sure we can adapt. I know our engineers do not lack the expertise to make a "real grand piano action."
Jay

I think your comments are fair enough, it's not good to directly copy the Yamaha Avant Grand action. However, Roland engineers could learn the principles and apply them to your own design. If you get the action spot on, I don't think customers will care how you achieved that.

Jay, I hope you can appreciate the following constructive feedback---paraphrasing from a friend of mine who owns a digital piano store & is himself a keen pianist:

"We just can't sell enough V-pianos, so we don't stock them anymore: the PHIII action is way below the standard of the Avant Grand, therefore it's way too expensive for that action. Due to the fact that the factory presets need tweaking to make the V-piano sound realistic, most of our customers who would consider spending $6000 on a digital grand piano don't want to be bothered programming the sounds to make the instrument hum: they are players not techies. Also Roland make you shelve out for headphones, a stand and speakers for the V-piano. They don't even suggest a speaker set up. The Avant Grand is one package which is much more attractive to most pianists i.e., despite it's inferior sound and response! Sure, techies love the V-piano, but they're a very small fraction of our customers"

Personally, I love tweaking sounds. If you were making a new V-piano, I'd be put off purchasing one if you left out the tweaking functions ;-). However, it's not most pianists 'cup of tea'.

So anecdotally from one shop owner, that is fair and constructive feedback for that specific market. Absolutely.

There are a lot more factors at play here, besides the ability to do so. I think what we have right now in the PHA-4 serves really well. Many players agree.
Jay

The consensus concerning the PHIV action---from blogs & friends who have played the various competing actions---is that the PHIV action is second place behind the Avant Grand & GF action of Kawai's: because of the Yamaha's/Kawai's longer key travel. I don't think serious pianists would mind if the upgraded V-piano were a bit deeper to accommodate a longer key travel.

Depth of cabinet, as mentioned above, has very little impact on the key length. The pivot point is most important.

We can't please everybody, not do we try to. We try to make the best action we can, that has the best connection to the best sound engine we can make.

I wouldn't be a potential customer of the V-piano II if Roland engineers/marketers decided to put the PHIV action from the RD800 directly into the V-piano II as is. Do you think that the Roland engineers could modify the PHIV action to match the GF and Avant Grand actions for use in a V-piano II?

To some customers maybe this would be exactly what they don't want. To others who enjoy the PHA-4 action maybe it would be. Again though, as stated above, matching or copying the other manufacturers actions isn't a goal that I would like to see our engineers achieve. I would rather see them make the best possible feeling and most reliable digital piano action; in whatever form that takes.

We accept that not everyone will like every action we make. You can't please everybody. Especially when it comes to something as subjective as piano sound and action.

Don't get lost in specs. When it comes time to play, if the instrument speaks to you, and the action provides a seamless connection to the sound engine. The materials used in the key action mean nothing.
Jay

I totally agree with you: I don't think customers would care what the parts were made of, so long as it felt like playing a real grand piano action that was robust (long lasting). The seamless connection to the sound engine is the V-pianos best feature.

And the PHA-4 has greatly improved on that connection with the newer SuperNatural Piano sound engine through the application of new design and new materials used in it's construction. Adding a similar keybed scanning processor like the V-Piano has, makes a huge difference in ever PHA-4 equipped instrument.

You really should try the RD-800 or one of the new PHA-4 equipped pianos for yourself. You may be as pleasantly surprised as many other customers I have spoken with. The most consistent feedback I've gotten from experienced players, is that they feel the connection between action and sound engine have never been better than on our current pianos. (V-Piano aside)

Jay

Industry Consultant
M
Mta88 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Lots of great information on this post..

Korg D1:AKG K240 MKII:KRK Rokit 6 gen 3 Pair Studio Monitors::Pianoteq Bechstein, Petrof, Grotrian, Steinway B, Steinway D,:Garritan CFX:Ravenscroft:Modern U:Galaxy Vintage D, Galaxy Bluthner Baby Grand,
Acoustics:
KAYSERBURG UH 132 Royal Vertical:
1934 Danemann Upright:
N
nim Offline
N
After lurking for some time now, I'd like to revive this topic (if I may), instead of making a new one.

So, the action is superb, so is the sound of the V-piano. I was impressed. Still, I'm still waiting, because, well, it's almost six years since it was released, and the question arises, if there is a new flagship on the horizon, or a new version of this flagship.

It's not a new action that I miss, and also I am not keen to have all the "new" things, but in a way for the studio use I'd really love some additional control options. Well, you always can use "another" controller for midi... but this kind of instrument is meant to sit "in front" of you.

So... are there any rumors regarding a V2? NAMM 2015?

Four-five years ago I wouldn't have thought too much about that, but now... well, it's a little bit tricky.

Any comments on that would be very helpful,

Nim

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Jay Roland,

I would be more than happy if you could send my opinion on v-piano to the hq smile

So, Roland put a lot of effort and money, into producing the V-piano module. Unfortunqtely, this available only in two pianos v piano, and v grand. The first one is completely useless for home use, the second is beyond money they can put for piano.
Now go and listem to th v-piano demo sounds. You can easily think that this is Real grand.

Now, the bad point is, why the heck put 2 miliona of dolara into technology,, which, later on, is put only in two products, of which non is home suitable for people,whomwant to a DP.

Also, i am really shocked, that you can't even buy it as software or hardware instrument!

I am even much more shocked, why, when releasng the new series of pianos, Roland is still putting the SN, while, still, the V- sound is still better (if correctly made).

I would truly like to have a v-sound at my some, in nice cabinet like hp series.
The bad point is. That technology exists, but is almost non available for the people. Who really need this, that is home and advanced pianist, focused on piano solo playing.

You don't need all the v-piano advantages while on stage. It will just disapper in mix with other instruments. So, the while point of vpiano for affordable, but, however, huge price, is, missed.
The result is, that you still have to pay for SN development, still pay for vpiano sound alot, because otherwise it will never payback in Roland.

I just can't understand in any way, why, when the technology exists, we, customers, people who really need this, are not getting the best what we can, instead, still playing on compromises.

Btw, the same is with Kawai and Yamaha, but, i love the roland v piano sound and still think nothing on the market is closer to a Real instrument today.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

Roland is a hardware company and have allowed their technology leading 'best' product(v-piano grand) to appear in the RD800, didn't they?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by emenelton

Roland is a hardware company and have allowed their technology leading 'best' product(v-piano grand) to appear in the RD800, didn't they?

As I understand it, they SAMPLED the V-Grand for the RD-800, though some of the editing capabilities are trickling into the newer products too.

Jay would be much better able to clarify this point.

Tony

Roland V-Grand
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I was more responding to the chorus of 'why don't they supply the v-grand in software' or 'make it available in a less expensive piece'. The one thing I noticed when listening to demos of the RD800 is how different that 1st piano patch sounds from the other AP SN demos.

I did own the Integra 7 myself and took it out a couple of times with my PX5S to compare, just never liked it's AP sound.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
You didn't liked the casio or SN?

And, well, still, to my ears, the V piano by itself sounds better than SN. Of course, it has some bad sites as well, but i think they are to current inside the piano.

However, roland, or other people view, may vary on that topic.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I didn't like the Roland. The Casio had a little more character or focus to it's sound. Just talking the AP. I did use the Integra for it's vibraphone patch on a few occasions in a salsa group and liked it for that a-lot.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by kapelli

So, Roland put a lot of effort and money, into producing the V-piano module. Unfortunqtely, this available only in two pianos v piano, and v grand. The first one is completely useless for home use, the second is beyond money they can put for piano.
Now go and listem to th v-piano demo sounds. You can easily think that this is Real grand.

Now, the bad point is, why the heck put 2 miliona of dolara into technology,, which, later on, is put only in two products, of which non is home suitable for people,whomwant to a DP.

Also, i am really shocked, that you can't even buy it as software or hardware instrument!

I am even much more shocked, why, when releasng the new series of pianos, Roland is still putting the SN, while, still, the V- sound is still better (if correctly made).

I would truly like to have a v-sound at my some, in nice cabinet like hp series.

I beg to differ - the V-Piano is ideal for home use. That's what I bought it for. And (even if I do say so myself wink ) I'm a 'home and advanced pianist'. Roland, of course, designed it for professional studio use. (It's really too heavy to lug around for gigs, and in any case, it only has piano sounds, and nothing but). The only thing better than the V-Piano is its big brother, the Grand. Or a real acoustic grand. Everything else pales in comparison.

I admit, the slab appearance can be off-putting for someone steeped in acoustics - like myself. Or those who want a nice-looking piece of furniture that doesn't look like something from Back to the Future. But I'd gladly sacrifice the cabinet for the sake of saving some money. And I can understand why Roland only offers the Grand as an alternative, because speakers housed within an upright cabinet (like the HP series) won't do the four-channel sound justice. (The difference would likely be much more than that between the AvantGrand N1 and N3). So, you either use your own speaker system or go for the Grand.

And I don't see any point in having its thirty sounds available as software piano - there are already plenty of well-established modelled software pianos around, which make no bones about where their sounds are derived (sampled) from. Roland presumably haven't got the licence from Steinway, Bösendorfer et al to directly name the piano sounds it drew its, shall we say, 'inspiration' from to make its various sounds.

If music be the food of love, play on!
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Interesting view Bennevis.
Seems like, what is a bug for me, is a feature for you.

You know, the cost of standard roland stand is far more than the plywood cabinet, which cost should be round about 2-3% of total instrument cost.

Also, you need separate pedals on some awful plastic thing, which you can't hook to the piano, but you always have that plastic below the pedals, so you can't get your feet there while playing (ok, that may be point not for everyone).

Also, I would like something with build in acoustic inside. It's not a problem nowadays to find good quality Asian speaker manufacturer and contract them for high quaility dp speakers. I am in the DIY hi-end audiophile community, and believe me, today you can buy awesome sounding speakers for the fraction of the price for the same quality few years ago.

And, what's the point of doing reference sounding piano for studio using only? There are lots of sampled pianos on the market, and, if someone really want to have a best piano possible is using acoustic, not digital.

The usage of this instrument is extremely limited.
Ok, one can tell the vpc1 even more. But kawai costs 1/5th of the v piano.

And, I had the possibility of buying vpiano for around 3500usd. I was almost ready to buy it, but:
- I would,have to buy speakers for it
- stand
- pedals problem
- I don't want my saloon looks like studio with lots of different stuff

I want nice furniture with reference sound.
While roland (but as well others ) could do this, they do not (in affordable price, let's say around the ca95 or clp585 price).
And I do prefer the dp cabinet, not the upright one to be honest.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'd like to type a long and detailed reply, but I've been flying all day from Vancouver to Quebec City, and I am on the road for the next 10 days visiting some retailers. I'll try to remember to get back to this when I return.

Jay

Industry Consultant
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission